Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:51   #121
BHPian

re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I see a lot of comments on buy back of tyres.Just wanted to know a thing on this buy back.Do the dealers actually buy back the used tyres?Reason is because I saw some really big prices, in the posts, being offered for the existing tyres.

I need to change my MRF 175/65 R14 stock tyres on the Figo to something else.From all the posts and various other sources,I have finally zeroed in on a 185/65 R14,though yet to decide on the brand.

1.Any reccomendations on the brand?
2.Any price indicators that anybody might know of?(No alloys)
The tyre dealers buy back your tyres, clean them up and sell them as new to any customer who is on the lookout for a bargain buy. The buyers are mostly taxi / cab operators or fleet owners for whom cost is the biggest factor.

Carry out a check about buy back prices in your area by visiting several dealers. All will quote a different price.

About the brand to go for for the size you mentioned (185/65 R14), I would suggest Bridgestone Potenza. These offer a good grip and tyre noise is substantially lower than your MRFs.

My Figo also came with MRF which were replaced by Potenza (185/65 R14)
AmarPaithankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:21   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post
The tyre dealers buy back your tyres, clean them up and sell them as new to any customer who is on the lookout for a bargain buy. The buyers are mostly taxi / cab operators or fleet owners for whom cost is the biggest factor.

Carry out a check about buy back prices in your area by visiting several dealers. All will quote a different price.

About the brand to go for for the size you mentioned (185/65 R14), I would suggest Bridgestone Potenza. These offer a good grip and tyre noise is substantially lower than your MRFs.

My Figo also came with MRF which were replaced by Potenza (185/65 R14)
Thanks Amar.Last time when I checked around in Hyd,nobody seemed to be interested in buying my old tyres.Let me check again.How much did your tyres cost you in Pune?and how old were the MRFs?Just to have some kind of indicative costs when I go around looking.Many thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:38   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thanks Amar.Last time when I checked around in Hyd,nobody seemed to be interested in buying my old tyres.Let me check again.How much did your tyres cost you in Pune?and how old were the MRFs?Just to have some kind of indicative costs when I go around looking.Many thanks
Ranjit, it is advisable to change your car's tyres as soon as you get delivery. Try locating a tyre shop close to the Ford dealership and inform them of the replacement you plan to carry out.

I exchanged all five MRFs of my Figo and paid Rs. 8000/- extra for a set of five Bridgestone Potenzas.
Old 28th November 2011, 11:55   #124
Senior - BHPian

Yoko 175/65/14 A drives

Finally decided to shelve the upsizing as I somehow wasnt convinced with the need to upsize.Changed my stock MRF 175/65/14 to Yoko A Drive.Checked with my trusted tyre dealer and he too was of the opinion that Figo really does not need an upsize and that the stock sizes are really good,and instead just to go for better quality tyres.Finally zeroed in on the Yoko A drives.Got it at INR 3900 a tyre,which I felt was a good deal.My MRFs had run approx 26K kms in 11mnths.Till now the Yokos feel great.

Also just a note for all those people who havent used the jack of the Figo till now,it would be a good idea to try it out,because it is not the usual one.This is a standing jack-very easy to use,but for the the first time,one really needs to figure how to use.So all those people who havent changed a Ford tyre,would be a good idea to do a dry run.
Old 21st December 2011, 12:28   #125
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yoko 175/65/14 A drives

Suggestions for a type upgrade for a Figo Titanium. A friend is taking delivery in a few days.

Wanted to see if there are better options than the 175/65-14 stock size.

Car will be used primarily for touring, and the roads can be bad at times. So softer sidewalls, etc are not acceptable! Also need a quiet tyre.

Was thinking of the 185/60-14 Potenza's.

Any other inputs?
Old 21st December 2011, 12:47   #126
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yoko 175/65/14 A drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Suggestions for a type upgrade for a Figo Titanium. A friend is taking delivery in a few days.

Wanted to see if there are better options than the 175/65-14 stock size.

Car will be used primarily for touring, and the roads can be bad at times. So softer sidewalls, etc are not acceptable! Also need a quiet tyre.

Was thinking of the 185/60-14 Potenza's.

Any other inputs?
I have 185/60R14 Potenza G3 on my Figo, and have had them for about 5000kms. Strongly recommended.

They are not too easy to puncture - I have pushed the car quite hard through some horrendously monsoon-ravaged roads and so far not a single problem with sidewall damage or other such performance tyre horror story.

They grip and grip and grip. Braking performance, straight-line stability, cornering - all massively improved.

Tyre noise is a little worse than MRF ZV2K. You notice it more if windows are rolled down. With windows rolled up, A/C on and some music playing even at low volume tyre noise is not noticed.

Ground clearance, however, is badly affected. 185/60R14 tyres not only have a slightly lower rolling radius (making the ground that much closer), performance rubber is also more pliant.

Personally, I would recommend 185/65R14 or, if your friend wants to upgrade to 15", go with 195/55R15.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 13:49   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldnt suggest 195/55-15. Risk of damaging the tyres are much higher with low profile tyres.

185/65-14 is a good bet. Increased sidewall height will give more ground clearance, better ride comfort and risk of damage is much lesser. However, in 185/65-14, you get only soft compound tyres like A Drives, Acelere, etc...

If you are really worried about your friend damaging the tyres, stick ot the OEM MRFs. They are indestructible!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 14:02   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
However, in 185/65-14, you get only soft compound tyres like A Drives, Acelere, etc...
Aceleres are soft compound??!!! I thought they last 50K+ kms!
Old 21st December 2011, 14:23   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Personally, I would recommend 185/65R14 or, if your friend wants to upgrade to 15", go with 195/55R15.
Definitely no plans of changing the alloys. Will be sticking to stock alloys, will look at the 185/65 Potenza's instead.

Quote:

If you are really worried about your friend damaging the tyres, stick ot the OEM MRFs. They are indestructible!
With the kind of roads around KA/KL he's just a little skeptical about tyres which have soft sidewall issues.

Any idea on the price for the 185/65-14 Potenza ?
Old 21st December 2011, 14:45   #130
BHPian

Quote:
With the kind of roads around KA/KL he's just a little skeptical about tyres which have soft sidewall issues.

Dont worry too much on the hard/soft sidewall. You cant go wrong with a Potenza GIII and you can take it to any kind of roads with comfort. The last price I heard was 4700 for the size 2 months back in Trivandrum and it was out of stock for some time.
Prass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 15:12   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Aceleres are soft compound??!!! I thought they last 50K+ kms!
No no. Apollo Amazers are the hard compound tyres. Some Aceleres may last 50k+ but they are definitely not hard compound tyres.

Quote:
Definitely no plans of changing the alloys. Will be sticking to stock alloys, will look at the 185/65 Potenza's instead.

GIIIs are not available in 185/65-14 if I am not wrong.
Old 21st December 2011, 15:28   #132
BHPian

Quote:

GIIIs are available in 185/65-14 and I use them. It is Turanza ER60 which is not available in this size.
Old 21st December 2011, 15:33   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The site Bridgestone India has listed Potenza's in that size. Hence I posted about it.

Looks like Potenza is the front runner now
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:32   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Oops... I am wrong in that case! :P
Old 29th December 2011, 19:03   #135
BHPian

I have been using Michelin XM1+ 185/65 R14 for last 10 months (couple of weeks after delivery). It has been pretty good. Recently got the wheel balancing, alignment and rotation done after 15k. It was mentioned that tyre threads are 25% worn. I am not sure if this is the usual rate. What's the life expectancy on the XM1+.

On a side note, I hit 165 kmph recently on the NICE road. Car was pretty stable. Don't try it often though

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks