Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2013, 11:10   #226
BHPian

re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
I have changed my stock tyres to Hankook 195/65/R14 recently on my figo and is absolutely happy with its performance. Better grip and healthy looks all over. The terrible under body scrapping on bumpers synonymous with all figo owners have come down drastically after this upgrade.
I thought 185/65/R14 was just the limit. are you sure the 195/65's do not foul with the wheel wells on full turning or full load?
Old 16th February 2013, 17:01   #227
BHPian

Quote:
I have changed my stock tyres to Hankook 195/65/R14 recently on my figo and is absolutely happy with its performance. Better grip and healthy looks all over. The terrible under body scrapping on bumpers synonymous with all figo owners have come down drastically after this upgrade.
Well, the sole reason for the reduction in body scraping on bumpers is due to the fact that your new tyres have an increased sidewall height by 0.5 inches.

However, the overall diameter difference between the stock 175/64 R14 size and 195/65 R14 size is 4.5%, which is quite a bit. It is always advisable to upsize to a size where the difference is 3% at max!

In the long term, you could face issues such as premature brake failures and undue stress on suspension components. Please do check if the tyres foul with the wheel well on turns as well as on full load conditions as racer_m said.

The ideal upsize for 175/65 R14 size is either 185/60, 195/60 or even 185/65 R14 wherein the difference in diameter would be an acceptable 2.2%.

Infact, if a bit of increase in ride height was your requirement, you should have opted for 185/65 R14.

If I were you, I would go back and replace the tyres if possible. Sorry to disappoint you friend, but I am advising you at this moment in time since the tyres are new and its better to lose a bit of money now and buy some peace of mind for the long term.
roms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 23:02   #228
BHPian

Quote:
duplicate post. mods please remove

Last edited by racer_m : 16th February 2013 at 23:19. Reason: duplicate post. mods please remove
Old 18th February 2013, 09:08   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Well, the sole reason for the reduction in body scraping on bumpers is due to the fact that your new tyres have an increased sidewall height by 0.5 inches.

However, the overall diameter difference between the stock 175/64 R14 size and 195/65 R14 size is 4.5%, which is quite a bit. It is always advisable to upsize to a size where the difference is 3% at max!

In the long term, you could face issues such as premature brake failures and undue stress on suspension components. Please do check if the tyres foul with the wheel well on turns as well as on full load conditions as racer_m said.

The ideal upsize for 175/65 R14 size is either 185/60, 195/60 or even 185/65 R14 wherein the difference in diameter would be an acceptable 2.2%.

Infact, if a bit of increase in ride height was your requirement, you should have opted for 185/65 R14.

If I were you, I would go back and replace the tyres if possible. Sorry to disappoint you friend, but I am advising you at this moment in time since the tyres are new and its better to lose a bit of money now and buy some peace of mind for the long term.
Sorry my bad, the tyres changed is of size 195/60/R14, Hancook.
Old 18th February 2013, 19:16   #230
BHPian

185/70 R14 Bridgestone:
Don't know what others say but after 43000 kms in just about 15 months, in my opinion and experience this is the best tire size for the Figo TDCi. Period.

I am an avid wildlife lover. Almost every second month we go to the jungles and the mountains. Now with 4-5 people on board with luggage, the car has never bottomed out.

Speed bumps, deep ditches. It has plowed through it all. Has seen Tiger trails and deer watching.

Fuel economy on AC is an acceptable 15-16 km per liter in city and 18-19 km on the highway.

Plus, the ride quality is fantastic.
Good luck!
Old 19th February 2013, 11:52   #231
Senior - BHPian

Here is my take on things.

185/65 R14 is the best suited tyre for the Figo. I realy do not know why Ford stuck to the 175's. Unlike most brands Ford has always given us good footed cars.

If not for the "looks", the 195 would be overkill. And if you are talking of "Upgrade" in the literal sense the 195 is not actually one. A comparison on a "tyre size calculator" of the OEM with these sizes would tell you why.

Unfortunately i was unable to source the 185/65 ones during my tyre change. The only brand available in this size in my city was the appollo and i wanted either the mich or the bridgestones.
gemithomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 12:18   #232
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking at an upsize on the stock rims which is 14", dont go beyond 185/65, thats the perfect upsize on the Figo. If you really want wider tires, 195/55 R15 is the best upsize, the same size that came in the 1.6S
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 11:12   #233
BHPian

will hankook 195/60/R14 tyres affect tthe performance in any way??
Old 25th February 2013, 19:02   #234
BHPian

there is an interesting take on up gradation of tyres by Goodyear; see the link,
http://www.goodyear.co.in/labs/education_upsizing.asp
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 14:49   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
You might get it at JC Road, but I guess nobody will be willing to sell a single piece. Normally people go for change of entire set, presumably the shops might have set of 4 again. And if you do get a single piece it should match the model on your car, it could be old, damaged etc. Alternatively if you do not find one, you can always trade the set of 4 in your car with a new set of 5 from the shops there. Just beware some shops are notorious to palm off refurbished allows in JC Road.

Thanks Zulfi Hansi,
I did take up your suggestion and visited JC Road. But absolutely no luck. No one has the original company alloys - neither new or second had, I checked in quite a few places. So I am back to square one and I am thinking of the following now:

As I had mentioned in my earlier post, I want to replace the steel rim of the spare wheel with the original alloy of Titanium 2011-12 model. I have had no luck in sourcing them in the after market so far and the Ford dealers want Rs. 6500 a piece which is a ransom. However, a set of 4 is around 14,000, which is around 3,500 a piece.

I am wondering if I could get another 3 folks who are interested in changing their spare steel rims to alloys and we can buy a set and share the cost. I am all ok for buying a new set of 4 and we split it four ways. Since I am in Bangalore, would be great if the group is all from Bangalore.

Anyone?
My thanks in advance,
Old 4th March 2013, 15:18   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa View Post
Thanks Zulfi Hansi,
I did take up your suggestion and visited JC Road. But absolutely no luck. No one has the original company alloys - neither new or second had, I checked in quite a few places. So I am back to square one and I am thinking of the following now:

As I had mentioned in my earlier post, I want to replace the steel rim of the spare wheel with the original alloy of Titanium 2011-12 model. I have had no luck in sourcing them in the after market so far and the Ford dealers want Rs. 6500 a piece which is a ransom. However, a set of 4 is around 14,000, which is around 3,500 a piece.

I am wondering if I could get another 3 folks who are interested in changing their spare steel rims to alloys and we can buy a set and share the cost. I am all ok for buying a new set of 4 and we split it four ways. Since I am in Bangalore, would be great if the group is all from Bangalore.

Anyone?
My thanks in advance,
That is a good idea, but getting a group of 3 is your luck. Another option is you go to Shivaji nagar with some guy who is good in negotiating a good deal, you have second hand parts dealers there, also known as 'Gujjeri', its easy to find that place, just ask where is Gujjeri market there.
Old 4th March 2013, 15:42   #237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa View Post

Do you mean 14K for a set of 4 from the dealer directly? That's not too bad.
Old 4th March 2013, 16:05   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Do you mean 14K for a set of 4 from the dealer directly? That's not too bad.
Yup, 14,000 from the dealer directly - Metro Ford - this was about 4 months back.
Not sure if it was with taxes or not. But even if we add tax, the set won't go beyond 16,000 or so.

Last edited by Musa : 4th March 2013 at 16:06. Reason: added text
Old 12th March 2013, 19:18   #239
BHPian

Folks,

I am confused between the yokohoma AVS ES 100, Michelin XM2, Bridgestone MY 02 for my figo. My priorities are comfort, handling, looks, durability in that order.

I am looking for 185/60or 185/65 14. Any Inputs will be extremely helpful for me.

Thanks,
Vishnu
Old 12th March 2013, 20:00   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Folks,

I am confused between the yokohoma AVS ES 100, Michelin XM2, Bridgestone MY 02 for my figo. My priorities are comfort, handling, looks, durability in that order.

I am looking for 185/60or 185/65 14. Any Inputs will be extremely helpful for me.

Thanks Vishnu
XM2 is the best among the above three as per road grip, noise & durability. But Yoko ES100 (similar to S Drives) looks awesome with those cross threads which is next best to C Drive & A Drive. I think long back, ES 100 had side wall damage issues when hit to median or foothpath. I do not know if its alright now.

XM2 or Yoko A drive may suit you for handling & comfort and if looks are priority, go for ES100. Also 185/60/14 would be good for Figo. Please note that you may loose Suspension warranty if you are in warranty period.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks