Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2017, 12:28   #496
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
The 65 section on the other hands give a lift without being too tall. It also remains close to the 2% limit that is acceptable for upsizes.
You sealed the deal for me ! I would blindly go for 185/65 R 14 Michelin XM2 tires for my Figo . Anyways I don't feel the ground clearance even with my present set of 175/65 R14s as a problem. So 65 section tires would be more than enough.Thank you.
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2017, 09:42   #497
BHPian

Finally went ahead and replaced all four tyres on my petrol figo with 185/65 R14 Michelin XM2. Ride quality is good and feeling less vibrations. Paid 4600 per Tyre along with new valves, balancing and alignment.

One thing still not sorted out is the under steering. I was hoping changing from stock which had become hard would alleviate this problem. Any one else facing this issue? Could this be a suspension issue?
acsandeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 14:05   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsandeep View Post
Finally went ahead and replaced all four tyres on my petrol figo with 185/65 R14 Michelin XM2. Ride quality is good and feeling less vibrations. Paid 4600 per Tyre along with new valves, balancing and alignment.

One thing still not sorted out is the under steering. I was hoping changing from stock which had become hard would alleviate this problem. Any one else facing this issue? Could this be a suspension issue?
Where are you located? I am also planning to change the same on my figo, wondering if you are in bangalore. Did balancing/alignment get included in the tyre price?
Old 21st February 2017, 14:26   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Where are you located? I am also planning to change the same on my figo, wondering if you are in bangalore. Did balancing/alignment get included in the tyre price?
I am in pune. The alignment and balancing was part of the total price quoted. The dealer was "N Mehta tyres" they are authorized dealers for Michelin in pune. I also availed the 6 months EMI option.
acsandeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 13:12   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsandeep View Post

Understeer on the old Figo? That is something rare and I have never experienced in all the flat out turns I have taken on my car.
Do check the suspension and related parts. The old Figo is like a go-kart around corners.

Last edited by tharian : 22nd February 2017 at 13:14.
Old 23rd February 2017, 08:23   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Understeer on the old Figo? That is something rare and I have never experienced in all the flat out turns I have taken on my car.
Do check the suspension and related parts. The old Figo is like a go-kart around corners.
Yeah thats what my feeling too. I have recently started to lose confidence while doing 90 degree turns. The backside feels not planted enough. I changed the shoes in the hope that it will fix it.
Old 10th March 2017, 21:16   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
You sealed the deal for me ! I would blindly go for 185/65 R 14 Michelin XM2 tires for my Figo . Anyways I don't feel the ground clearance even with my present set of 175/65 R14s as a problem. So 65 section tires would be more than enough.Thank you.
Since I got a kid now Link to the postand my RE is due for an engine rebuild Link to the post, I am short of Vitamin M . Going through the Team-BHP forums I find 185/65 R14 Apollo Alnac 4Gs are a good alternative and comes far cheaper than Michelin XM2s at the rate of 3,900 per piece in Amazon. Hope to get a set of four and get on par performance and reliability as Michelin. I am any wise ?
Old 12th March 2017, 10:37   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I got a kid now Link to the postand my RE is due for an engine rebuild Link to the post, I am short of Vitamin M . Going through the Team-BHP forums I find 185/65 R14 Apollo Alnac 4Gs are a good alternative and comes far cheaper than Michelin XM2s at the rate of 3,900 per piece in Amazon. Hope to get a set of four and get on par performance and reliability as Michelin. I am any wise ?
Alnac's and XM2'S cannot be compared.
Alnac is a good choice if on a budget and I would say is best of the rest. The rest being CEAT,MRF zvts and the likes.
You can check Goodyear's too.When I was tyre shopping for my Figo, I gave it a look,but have no experience using it.
There should be a thread on it here.
Old 17th March 2017, 01:12   #504
Senior - BHPian

Finally got the tyres changed on my Figo. Shortlist was either Yokohama Earth1 or Michelin XM2s. Preference was Michelin given my past experience but members on the forum have given good feedback about Earth1 as well. Tyre size chosen was 185/65/R14. Finally ended up with Earth1 since they are priced around 4100 per tyre vs the recently price increased Michelins at 5100 per tyre. Since FIgo is my wife's commute and primarily a city commute, felt it was money well saved.

Impressions after driving for an hour in the city
  • Tyres are very silent. Earlier at 80kmph the apollos would make a racket. Now its quiet like its on the XUV. But it does make the engine sound more prominent
  • Tyres do ease the ride and absorb bumps very nice. No jarring thuds on same roads. XM2 would be tad better certainly if someone wants comfort
  • My wife also is fairlly happy with the ride quality improvement
  • The tread pattern on earth1 looks lot nicer than XM2 which has that 2 groove design
  • Handling remains razer sharp which I had felt reduce on XM1+ in the past on my Ikon. So Yokos would have a edge over Michelin being little harder

Will post more after few more drives. Overall happy with the choice.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 13:52   #505
BHPian

I have a small query. Will running with three alloy wheels and one steel wheel have any adverse effect? The rear left tire of my Figo got punctured yesterday. When I removed the wheel, I found that the tire was punctured by a huge nail. Also there is some slight bulging on the sidewall. I have fitted the spare steel wheel of the same size i.e 14".

Since I am planning to replace my tires, in a week, I thought of running with the spare steel wheel till then. I will run an approximate distance of 350 Kms before the tire change. Is it OK to continue with three alloys and one steel wheel ?

Note: All my tires, including spare are stock i.e 175/65 R14
Old 23rd March 2017, 14:31   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will run an approximate distance of 350 Kms before the tire change. Is it OK to continue with three alloys and one steel wheel ?

Note: All my tires, including spare are stock i.e 175/65 R14
350 km in 1 week time is nothing to worry about, since the spare is of same size and the only difference is mass (between Alloy & Steel rim). Take care to maintain uniform tire pressure and vehicle speed around 80 kmph.

PS: my friend did a little over 1k km drive with his steel spare wheel on Honda Jazz (Ground wheel being 15" alloys and spare is of 14" Steel)

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 23rd March 2017 at 14:33.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 02:08   #507
BHPian

Money is not the most important thing in life. Your safety certainly is !

So whether you spend your hard earned money for buying a pair of high-ankle Allen Cooper Safety Boots with steel toe, for your day-to-day shop floor use, or buy a new set of bigger and better Yokohama Earth 1 tires for your mile-muncher, your money is well spent and you are taking a small, yet significant step towards improving your personal/family's safety. After all for a BHPian the car is an extension of himself !

So upgraded my shoes as well as my car's shoes Yesterday . UK Size 10, black leather shoes for me, replacing my non-branded faux-leather shoes and 185/65/R14 black rubber shoes for the car, replacing 175/65/R14 Apollo Alnacs. It definitely is a reason to feel great !

Posting few pictures to keep things brief.

1) Ordering - Ordered through Amazon. Per Tire cost was Rs.4044/-

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot_20170330124842197.jpeg

2) Delivery - Manufacturing date punched on the tires were 5016 and 5116

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170403_191228.jpg

3)Size Comparison - Diameter is 0.5 inches/12.7 mm more than stock size. Just 2.2% increase in Diameter. Width is 0.4 inches/10 mm more than stock. Kept the old and the new tire side by side for visualizing.

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170403_193203.jpg

4) Fitting, Balancing & Alignment - Fast and efficient service for Rs.750/-

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170409_143033.jpg
Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170409_144817.jpg
Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170409_145101.jpg
Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170409_150641.jpg

5) The Looks - Fabulous !

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170409_154036.jpg
Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170409_154058.jpg
Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170409_154131.jpg

6) The feel - Awesome tires I should say! Smooth and silent all the way. Enough has been said about the greatness of the Yokohama Earth 1 tires. They are second to err..the Michelins only.

7) The parting Shot !

Ford Figo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20170409_154010.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 9th October 2017 at 14:06.
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 01:34   #508

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me how good are the Bridgestone Turanza in 185/65 R14 "H" for Figo Diesel Titanium , 2012 model?
Am confused between the Bridgestone Ecopia which the Ford dealer is ready to give me during servicing for 4550/- a pop, along with a "free car wash" or "a buff job" and 25% discount on labour charges for one year. But they are 175 size!
So my confusion
Turanza (with the specs mentioned in the first para)
Bridgestone Ecopia ( I'm a little environment sensitive)
And now : X1!

Also, according to Figo user manual, a laden car needs tire pressure of 36 psi. Does the larger tyre size (185) accommodate this air pressure without bumping into side walls!

Please help Gents!

R
Old 18th April 2017, 09:05   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustamyadu View Post
Also, according to Figo user manual, a laden car needs tire pressure of 36 psi. Does the larger tyre size (185) accommodate this air pressure without bumping into side walls!

Please help Gents!

R
I have 195 section tires on the stock alloys and don't have any scraping issues on turns. I was running 185/65 before this set and that was not having any interference.
Old 5th May 2017, 10:36   #510
BHPian

My query is nothing specific to tyre upgrade but I am looking out for some suggestion on replacing the tyre which has a bulge in the sidewall. @Mods, please merge this post if there is another thread for the same.

Currently my Figo is running on second set of shoes ie Bridgestone B290 175/65 which was put when my car odo was at 32000kms. Current odo reading is at 55K and while inspecting I noticed a slight bulge in the rear right side tyre. I had showed it to my regular alignment shop, he suggested to continue as it is very minor. However since majority of my drive includes highway trip and I am bit skeptical to continue using this tyre and I don`t want to risk mine and my family life looking to save some bucks. So I need your suggestion on ways to replace it.

Current conditions of tyre:

Present set of shoes- Bridgestone B290 on all 4 wheels with mileage of 23000kms
Stepney- MRF ZV2K which came along with the car.
Current age of my car- Completing 5 yrs this October.

Here are the below option which I am thinking of:
Option1> Replace the damaged tyre with another B290. With this option my car will have 3 tyres old and 1 new. I often do rotation every 5000kms and I might face issues of right/left pull when I do it next time as I will have one tyre which is new.

Option 2> Replace the damaged tyre with MRF and place the stepney tyre in the left side rear wheel. Keep the original tyre in the left rear wheel as the stepney.

Stepney might have been used for 1000kms and considering the fact it was unused for most of the period, what are the risk factors in going with option 2. Please advice!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 5th May 2017 at 10:39.

Most Viewed