Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:36   #1
BANNED

Tyre Upsize for a 2001 Deawoo Matiz

Till date the stock tyres lasted a good 70k kms.

Need to add new set of wheels on the car today.

What is the best upsize that i can use than the current 145/70/R13.

Retaining the steel rims, but need tubeless tyres.

If we get a good package for tyres and alloys, might change mind.

The rims are good and round.

Suggestions please.
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Till date the stock tyres lasted a good 70k kms.

Need to add new set of wheels on the car today.

What is the best upsize that i can use than the current 145/70/R13.

Retaining the steel rims, but need tubeless tyres.

If we get a good package for tyres and alloys, might change mind.

The rims are good and round.

Suggestions please.
Hi Pavan,

I really can't imagine tires lasting for 70k kms!! But if that was achieved, its awesome!! Now the original rims may be good and round but do check for corrosion inside the rim and around the valve as if you plan on fitting tubless tires, this corrosion can lead to regular air leaks. However, here are your options :

1. Sticking to your original 13" steel rims OR getting 13" alloys

Taking into account your rims are in good condition or you decide to upgrade to alloys of the same size as original rims i.e. 13"; you can stick to the original tire size of 145/70/R13 OR change to 155/65/R13

2. Upsizing your original 13" steel rims to 14" alloys

You can upsize to 14" alloys and eventhough this will improve grip and handling to a large extent, it would compromise a bit on ride quality. Possible tire sizes is 155/60/R14. i doubt the Matiz will be able to accomodate anything wider or above this size.
Old 2nd April 2010, 19:03   #3
BHPian

Thanks Pavan for starting this.
I too own 2000 Matiz and planning to upsize tyres. I had already changed steel rims to alloys but that time I did a mistake by putting the same size tyres (i.e. 145/70/R13). Now due to allignment issue after suspension work, both front the tyres are totally BALD. So now I have an option to either change 2 tyres again with same size or do upgrade for all 4. I'll get some money for my 2 tyres as they are very healty.
Insted of the recommended 155/65/R13 (as mentioned by Epic too), I planned to go for 155/70/R13 as it'll help with GC in city roads.

Please suggest gurus about 155/70/R13. Present condition is worst due to wider alloy rim with the standard wall height, it's GC is reduced.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:58   #4
BHPian

Guys,

The best upsize from 145/70 R13 will be 155/65 R13. Anything wider will require a rim upgrade.
Old 4th April 2010, 22:34   #5
BANNED

OK guys, thanks all for your suggestions.

Finally got the tyres changed

Went all around Bangalore, spoke to many tyre gurus, none were in favour of Bridgestone, neither was i happy about the existing size.

After much of discussions and thinking, decided to go in for

TYRES = Yokohoma A-Drives, Tubeless
SIZE = 165/65/R13

Now the tyres are decided, the price.....?

Again many places gave a different prices, some quoted the BEST Price, but every place the prices ranged between Rs.2800/- to Rs 2900/-

I again do the best thing, Get T-BHP'ians help, $@nT#0$# suggested Yoko A-drives best, size i chose was best, and i must blindly go to MILLIVISIONS. Lukeskywalker (HARI) also suggested the same thing. I was suggested that this place was the best in giving the BEST prices.

I set off towards lalbagh road, go to him. He bills Rs10000/-for 4 tyres and free fitting, weights, balancing and alignment free. Also a CATERPILLAR sunglasses worth Rs.3400/- FREE.

This was the BEST offer i found anywhere in Bangalore and i was a happy man in the end.

Will post some pics later.
Old 5th April 2010, 12:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Thanks Pavan for starting this.
I too own 2000 Matiz and planning to upsize tyres. I had already changed steel rims to alloys but that time I did a mistake by putting the same size tyres (i.e. 145/70/R13). Now due to allignment issue after suspension work, both front the tyres are totally BALD. So now I have an option to either change 2 tyres again with same size or do upgrade for all 4. I'll get some money for my 2 tyres as they are very healty.
Insted of the recommended 155/65/R13 (as mentioned by Epic too), I planned to go for 155/70/R13 as it'll help with GC in city roads.

Please suggest gurus about 155/70/R13. Present condition is worst due to wider alloy rim with the standard wall height, it's GC is reduced.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Hi Pradip,

The tire size opted by you may not only touch the wheel wells at full lock but also has a 2.63% difference in wheel circumference which is not recommended. I suggest you stick with 155/65/R13 tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
OK guys, thanks all for your suggestions.

Finally got the tyres changed

Went all around Bangalore, spoke to many tyre gurus, none were in favour of Bridgestone, neither was i happy about the existing size.

After much of discussions and thinking, decided to go in for

TYRES = Yokohoma A-Drives, Tubeless
SIZE = 165/65/R13

Now the tyres are decided, the price.....?

Again many places gave a different prices, some quoted the BEST Price, but every place the prices ranged between Rs.2800/- to Rs 2900/-

I again do the best thing, Get T-BHP'ians help, $@nT#0$# suggested Yoko A-drives best, size i chose was best, and i must blindly go to MILLIVISIONS. Lukeskywalker (HARI) also suggested the same thing. I was suggested that this place was the best in giving the BEST prices.

I set off towards lalbagh road, go to him. He bills Rs10000/-for 4 tyres and free fitting, weights, balancing and alignment free. Also a CATERPILLAR sunglasses worth Rs.3400/- FREE.

This was the BEST offer i found anywhere in Bangalore and i was a happy man in the end.

Will post some pics later.
Hi Pavan,

Is this size ok? Are you having any issues with the tires touching the wheel weels at full lock or full load? The difference in circumference is again more than 2%.
Old 5th April 2010, 13:48   #7
BHPian

Thanks Epic,

The only reason I wanted that odd size (155/70/R13) was to get good GC & just blindly trusted tyre shop person on no alteration & no touching on full lock. Mostly I'll go with your suggestion.

Hi Pavan,

Can you please put snaps? Also, do reply to Epic as I have the same query.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 5th April 2010, 17:21   #8
BANNED

The tyres fit well on the car and gives it a neat meaty looks.

I am extremely happy with the drivebility and comfort this tyre is giving.

NO, the tyre does not touch anywhere, anytime.

No need to try full load, as the car only carries 1 - 2 people most of the time.

Here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Tyre Upsize for a 2001 Deawoo Matiz-p040410_11.15_01.jpg  

Tyre Upsize for a 2001 Deawoo Matiz-p040410_11.15_02.jpg  

Tyre Upsize for a 2001 Deawoo Matiz-p040410_11.15_03.jpg  

Old 5th April 2010, 18:06   #9
kkg
BHPian

The Matiz is sure looking great with new tyres. But why is one wheel nut missing??
Old 5th April 2010, 18:30   #10
BHPian

Hey Pavan car looks really nice. Started thinking again as this is my regular family car, so need to think about full load situation..anyways will put photos of my present setup. :(
Old 5th April 2010, 21:11   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
The Matiz is sure looking great with new tyres. But why is one wheel nut missing??
Those boys at the wheel alignment centre. put in a wrong thread, hence one nut is out, will get it done over the coming weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Hey Pavan car looks really nice. Started thinking again as this is my regular family car, so need to think about full load situation..anyways will put photos of my present setup. :(
You are welcome to come over for a test drive anytime this weekend.

The car is completely stock, including the PDI stickers from the Deawoo factory, and also many Manipal stickers.

With these tyres, i dont see any bottoming, because, from the stock (145/70/R13) i've just upgraded to (165/65/R13) nothing much changes except a bit of width. And to talk about the tyre, they are the best set i've found.

Me and my Bro had been stuck with Bridgestone for all our 5 cars since ages, but with the YOKO's we have a new dimension to our next tyre change for any cars

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks