Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 12:11   #1
BHPian

After-Market Rims on Indian BMWs?

So I haven't really seen a BMW in India with after market rims, is this because BMW India frowns upon this and voids warranty or because people rather not tamper with their premium product?

I'm considering Changing the stock alloys to something more attractive, but the only attractive rims offered by BMW are 19 inchers and extremely expensive. Hence, I was looking at OZ. But I am not sure if this would void warranty as I've had many mixed replies in the past.

So BMW owners please offer an insight, also post pics of your rims while you're at it
Old 28th April 2010, 00:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Saarth, BHPian ecksreturns has a dedicated thread to his collection of exotics including a M3 which has BBS alloys. Contact him as he's the best bet owing to personal experience, there may be other members as well but I'm not aware of the ones who've gone for aftermarket alloys.

Ecks' thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...arage-124.html
Old 28th April 2010, 17:45   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The 3 series already has a stiff ride, thanks to the firm suspension setup, run flat tyres and large OEM wheels.

And you want to increase the size to 19s? Don't care about your back enough? My suggestion : If you want to upgrade, either retain the existing wheel size or go +1 (max = 17 inches). While at it, change your tyres to regular tubeless type Michelins too.
Old 28th April 2010, 17:54   #4
BHPian

just look at this catalogue, for an idea too.

RAYS ALL PRODUCT LINE UP 2010

there is a volk wheel just for that.

Last edited by west : 28th April 2010 at 17:56.
Old 28th April 2010, 18:19   #5
BHPian

Why do you want to change ? and what do you want to change to ?? any specifcations or reasons will be helpful
Old 28th April 2010, 20:20   #6
BHPian

@GTO: No, the very fact that BMW only has attractive rims in 19" is what is making me go after-market. The 17" BMW collection isn't really what I'm looking for. If I upsize the maximum I would go is 17" no doubt.
Old 13th May 2010, 15:31   #7
BHPian

Hey Saarth,

What have you decided for the wheels? I'm planning on upgrading the tyres and rims on my 5 series as well! Let me know your status.

Also, where were you planning to get the OZ's from, and for how much?
Old 13th May 2010, 17:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't worry about warranty. Just make sure you keep the specs close to OE recommendations.
A car maker can come up with several reasons for voiding warranty, if you read their fine print there will always be clauses to safeguard them. However, reputed companies do not bother about such simple mods to the extent of voiding warranty. Don't go asking you're dealer or it will just give him a reason to catch you on for something that would otherwise always be overlooked.

OZ is a good brand. I recommend you stick with 17inchers for the 3 series, they look large enough and anything more would worsen the suspension.
Go wider on your rubber but switch to slightly more comfort oriented tyres to compensate the rim size increase. Although the Michelin PS3 would be best for handling, I would recommend something like the Primacy HP for a good blend of comfort AND handling.
I have the PP2 (which are now replaced with the PS3) on my 525d and Primacy HP on my 520d. The HP are sooo much more comfortable and handle almost as well as the PP2.
However, the Primacy HP in fresh stock are hard to find.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks