Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2010, 21:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishant B View Post
Well this is just an update.. I bought Yoko A drives 165 70 R13 for both the front wheels and wow!!! I have read about the difference it can make to the ride but you have to really experience it.. I never thought that Wagon R can be so stable and so smooth. And this is just the first run. Imagine what will happen after 100kms when they come into their element.

All in all I am extremely happy with my purchase and although it costed me 5100 for 2 tyres, its worth it.

Oh and thanks a lot for your advice
The Yoko A drives incorporate the silent run technology from the more expensive Decibel series and are great tires. I am replacing my Aveo's 185/60 R15 NCT5 Goodyears with the Adrives too.

Quote:
Now that I have changed the tyres, I just came to realize that in the unlikely event of having a puncture in the front tubeless ones, the spare tyre which is of different profile, will have to be used.

My concern is that will it affect the stability of the car while driving down to the next puncturewallah ( in my opinion it should NOT as the height of the tyres is same but your assurance is welcome and needed)
No it should not be a concern. Remember the small space saver spares that BMW provides/used to provide. This space saver design is very popular in the US market and they would not do that if it were unsafe albeit strictly used untill the nearest pit stop.

Quote:
Moreover, I was told by some people that having the front tyres of different profiles will result in the them getting worn out pretty soon along with the usual stability issue . Is it true because if it is, then I will have to incur extra expense of changing rest of the 3 tyres also (Damn those tow-away cranes ) . If you do advise to change the rest of the three tyres, how much I can go on with the current combination before it becomes essential to go ahead with the purchase.

Your advice is very much needed

Thanks
Nishant
From your above post I understand you changed both the front tires so where is the problem. If you are talking of scenarios while the spare is on then restrict the use to the minimum possible. In any case for every day driving having different profile tires on the front wheels is not going to have any impact per se.
Old 3rd May 2010, 06:34   #17
BHPian

@Khoj Thanks for that detailed response. You have allayed my concerns to a large extent. As a matter of fact, I didnt knew about the space saver technology in BMW but now thanks to you and google baba, I am alright with my spare tyre being smaller in dia.

Regarding my concern, I was told by someone that running different profile (145 rear , 165 front) can be detrimental to the life of the front tyres. Although I didnt see any merit in that point but still felt safer to ask the folks here and get it clarified.

Thanks

Nishant
Old 3rd May 2010, 16:20   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am alright with my spare tyre being smaller in dia.
Could you please list out the tyre sizes of your regular tyres & the spare? Driving with front wheels / tyres of a varying diameter can have disastrous results!

Even if a manufacturer offers a space saver spare, the net diameter is usually the same.
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Could you please list out the tyre sizes of your regular tyres & the spare? Driving with front wheels / tyres of a varying diameter can have disastrous results!

Even if a manufacturer offers a space saver spare, the net diameter is usually the same.
Hey GTO

Actually when I saw NET diameter, I understood your point immediately. I will go back and check whether they are same.

Just a check: Net dia would be same for ( 165/70 R13 and 145/70 R13) but it would different for (165/70 R13 and 145/55 R13). Right ?
Old 4th May 2010, 17:31   #20
BHPian

Damn... I checked the tyre size and the net dia is not same for the front and rear (+ spare) tyres.

Front (yoko A drives) 165/65 R13
Back ( OEM) 145/70 R13

So my question is that in case of puncture where I have to use spare tyre, how well will it hold up while driving to the next repair shop.

Any suggestions
Nishant B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2010, 17:39   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just a check: Net dia would be same for ( 165/70 R13 and 145/70 R13)
Without even calculating, anyone will tell you that they aren't the same. 70% of 165 is obviously more than 70% of 145.

Keep this calculator handy. In the order that you've listed the tyre sizes, the diameters are 561.08 mm, 533.14 mm & 489.45 mm.

If you are looking for the ideal upsize, please refer to the excel sheet in this article.
Old 4th June 2013, 08:06   #22
BHPian

Re: Single tyre change..Advisable or not?

hi,
I have a similar problem. I had a massive tyre puncture a few months back and my right front tyre had sidewall damage and was found to be beyond repair. I bought a new single MRF ZVTS 145/80 R12 (same as the other tyres) and am using it as spare. One of my front tyres suffered a puncture yesterday(which I got repaired) and I now wish to use this repaired tyre as the spare one.
My car has done about 25000kms and I wish to know whether it is advisable to use a new tyre with three old ones.
If yes, should I use it at the front or back?
According to the MRF tyre guys my orignal tyres are still good for 20000 kms.
Old 10th December 2013, 10:33   #23
BHPian

Single tyre worn out - Replacement dilemma

Dear team members,

I drive a Liena multijet and my yearly run is almost 25k kms. I changed the tyres of my car to Appollo Accelere (195/60 R 15) last December. Even though I get the alignment balancing done every 5k, the front right tyre has now worn down particularly from the inner wall side. I would have to change the same as the threads have now surfaced. I am in a dilemma now - whether to buy two new tyres and replace the existing front ones or to go for a set of 4 new wheels. The two rear tyres I believe could last another 10-15k kms.

Secondly, if i go for complete 4 wheel replacement, would Yokohama C drive be a perfect choice considering i need to drive mainly on highway and my average yearly run is around 25k.

Looking forward to your valuable advice.
Old 10th December 2013, 11:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: Single tyre worn out - Replacement dilemma

Firstly, before replacing anything. I would find out the root cause of the wear. Inner wear one side could be due to the toe being too out in that tyre or you going inside the pothole and getting the strut bent and hence getting a camber.

Go to the Authorized service station, ask them to put your car on the alignment machine, they'll know what is hopefully out of spec and hence the replacement of that can proceed before you get new tyres.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 11:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Agree with humyum. Find the cause for the abnormal wear before changing tyres. Otherwise the next set/tyre will have the same problem.
Old 10th December 2013, 12:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Firstly, before replacing anything. I would find out the root cause of the wear. Inner wear one side could be due to the toe being too out in that tyre or you going inside the pothole and getting the strut bent and hence getting a camber.

Go to the Authorized service station, ask them to put your car on the alignment machine, they'll know what is hopefully out of spec and hence the replacement of that can proceed before you get new tyres.
Agreed, but that would be done for sure once I go for changing the tyres..the first question is whether to go for two tyre replacement or all four. Before getting the tyres changes I wil definitely get the camber checked, since I also suspected this thing.
Old 10th December 2013, 12:19   #27
BHPian

What is the condition of your spare tyre? If you can replace the worn out tyre with the spare wheel, you may end up saving money and at the same time you may be in a position to do a few more miles. Thereafter, you can consider changing the complete set.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 12:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-riedAway View Post
Even though I get the alignment balancing done every 5k, the front right tyre has now worn down particularly from the inner wall side.
If tyre has worn out from inner side, it shows toe & camber needs adjustment. Regular alignment shop might not have noticed to work upon it OR doesn't know how to correct it. It's also possible that only toe got corrected during regular alignment without correcting camber.

Please sort out this at a competent wheel alignment center in your area (even if it means driving longer to reach there) & only then change the tyres.

If you are replacing only 2 tyres, please mount them on rear axle.
Old 10th December 2013, 12:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
What is the condition of your spare tyre? If you can replace the worn out tyre with the spare wheel, you may end up saving money and at the same time you may be in a position to do a few more miles. Thereafter, you can consider changing the complete set.
The spare tyre is a JK tyre from the original set, condition is ok but would it make a difference running on a single different tyre from the rest.
Old 10th December 2013, 14:53   #30
BHPian

Guys, an update- I am planning to go for both front tyres replacement with a suitable new tyre (branded, Indian probably) that do not pinch much on the pocket. Plan to replace all four with Yoko C Drive when the older ones near 40-45k kms. Is it good to go ahead with this?

Last edited by Car-riedAway : 10th December 2013 at 15:18. Reason: Spell mistake

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks