Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2013, 21:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Single tyre worn out - Replacement dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-riedAway View Post
The spare tyre is a JK tyre from the original set, condition is ok but would it make a difference running on a single different tyre from the rest.
Though, I am little late in responding to you, I think it should not make much difference if it is of a different make till such time it's specification matches with the other three . But your later post updates your decision, I would suggest go ahead with what you like and have miles and miles of happy and peaceful driving.
Old 10th December 2013, 23:16   #32
BHPian

Re: Single tyre worn out - Replacement dilemma

Quote:
Guys, an update- I am planning to go for both front tyres replacement with a suitable new tyre (branded, Indian probably) that do not pinch much on the pocket.
Why not replace the spare in front and get a new tyre for spare. Instead of buying two tyres. Unless you are an enthusiastic driver, it shouldn't rally matter. I am thinking your spare tyre is also worn out a bit. After a year you will have the opportunity change the rest.

Last edited by HillMan : 10th December 2013 at 23:18.
Old 11th December 2013, 06:59   #33
BHPian

Thanks guys for yours inputs, I finally bought two apollo acceleres, same as rear two. The tyre dealer said that the fault was with the alignment that caused the wheels to erode. I asked him to check the camber he said its ok, have to believe him

Have planned a tight alignment schedule now - plan to get it done every 2.5-3k ( or every 1.5 months) for my specific case so that i am well in command if any aberrations do creep in in terms of camber or alignment. Though the dealers and experts herein say alignment can be scheduled for every 5k interval, i need to be extremely cautious, once bitten twice shy.

Plan to change all four next time, if all goes well (fingers crossed), to yoko c drives.
Old 15th December 2013, 18:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: Single tyre change..Advisable or not?

Quote:
Thanks guys for yours inputs, I finally bought two apollo acceleres, same as rear two. The tyre dealer said that the fault was with the alignment that caused the wheels to erode. I asked him to check the camber he said its ok, have to believe him

Have planned a tight alignment schedule now - plan to get it done every 2.5-3k ( or every 1.5 months) for my specific case so that i am well in command if any aberrations do creep in in terms of camber or alignment. Though the dealers and experts herein say alignment can be scheduled for every 5k interval, i need to be extremely cautious, once bitten twice shy.

Plan to change all four next time, if all goes well (fingers crossed), to yoko c drives.
Can you post the alignment reading reading print out the dealer must have given you after getting the alignment done for the readers here to know 'what' was actually out of spec in your alignment ?
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 17:23   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

The original JK tyres on my Swift did 53000 kms and then I replaced with Goodyear. These tyres have done around 27000 kms. 3 of the tyres are still decent, but one has been damaged. I need to change it.

Should I buy a single new tyre or is it possible to get a decent used tyre to use till the time it's time to change the other 3? (I don't have a good spare).

I check a couple of tyres shops (need to check more), but they only had tyres which were 5-6 years old. I don't think it's a good idea to put something so old. But if get something 3-4 years old and in decent condition, I guess it should be OK, right? Are 3-4 year old used ones easily available? How much should I expect to pay? And is it OK if one tyre is a different brand (as long as size is same)?
Old 4th April 2015, 21:23   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Should I buy a single new tyre or is it possible to get a decent used tyre to use till the time it's time to change the other 3? (I don't have a good spare).
Quote:
is it OK if one tyre is a different brand (as long as size is same)?
Best possible solution,
- dispose the damaged and spare tyre
- Move one of the other 3 as spare
- get a couple of brand new tyres and use them in Front
You can go for different brand keeping the same tyre spec, but the safe bet is to use the same brand.
Quote:
But if get something 3-4 years old and in decent condition, I guess it should be OK, right? Are 3-4 year old used ones easily available? How much should I expect to pay?
Do you think risking on a safety critical part is worthy to save few bucks? I suggest not to look for anything older than 2 years.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 21:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Best possible solution,
- dispose the damaged and spare tyre
- Move one of the other 3 as spare
- get a couple of brand new tyres and use them in Front
Fully agree with buying 2 new and moving one of the 3 existing tires as spare. I did the same in my Zen long back when one of the tyres got sidewall damage. However, I've heard differing opinions regarding whether the new tyres should go to the front or rear. Argument for front as I understand is that the engine weight would wear out the tyres faster and hence putting new tyres in front can extend the life of the existing set.

Argument for putting them in the rear is that the new tyres would need a few hundred kilometers before the outer smooth texture wears off and the grip becomes good under braking. Hence it is recommended to put the new tyres in the rear till they run in completely.

Tyre experts, please comment on the best approach.

Last edited by zenren : 4th April 2015 at 21:56.
Old 4th April 2015, 22:02   #38
BHPian

New tyres should always go at the back. Please search the forum, there are tons of threads explaining why.
Old 4th April 2015, 22:33   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Do you think risking on a safety critical part is worthy to save few bucks?
It's always a compromise. Otherwise the only car sold will be an Audi with a roll cage.

Quote:

I suggest not to look for anything older than 2 years.
My other 3 tyres are 3 years old.

Anyway, getting back to my question.

I am trying to figure out if if it's OK if it's a different brand. If that's OK, then I guess 3-4 year old tyre with a similar wear would be fine enough.
How much should I expect to pay for a 3-4 year old tyre?

And I am not planning to replace my spare tyre - it's like 8 years old and hidden under my CNG tank. I don't use it and don't plan to use it even in I have a flat tyre. I'll get my car towed or whatever.
Old 4th April 2015, 22:44   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My other 3 tyres are 3 years old.
Quote:
I am trying to figure out if if it's OK if it's a different brand. If that's OK, then I guess 3-4 year old tyre with a similar wear would be fine enough.
How much should I expect to pay for a 3-4 year old tyre?
Nothing wrong with different brands unless the spec remains same.
For a reference, we sold a set of 5 MRF, 2 years old, 10k+ covered tires from Ford classic for 1.25k per tire (a couple of years back) when we exchanged them for Yokohama (upsize)

PS: are you speaking about 3~4 years USED tires or old stock from dealer?
Old 5th April 2015, 10:14   #41
BANNED

Quote:
PS: are you speaking about 3~4 years USED tires or old stock from dealer?
3-4 year old used tyres.
Old 5th April 2015, 13:52   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3-4 year old used tyres.
Should cost you around 1.5k
Try sourcing from a reliable source. You know the history of other 3 tyres (3+ years old) in your car, but when getting a used tyre be it 3 years or 3 months old we aren't sure how bad they were used / abused.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed