Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 20:32   #1

Strange problem with tubeless tyre

I have stock Goodyear 195/60 R15 -tubeless. (guess which car is it!)

The problem is that the tyre deflates on its own if left for a couple of days. Here is the full story. First time it happened, I thought I must have hit a nail while driving and being tubeless there was no immediate loss of pressure and when I left it for a couple of days it lost air.

I took it to the nearest petrol pump. The guy inflated, put it in water and checked. Surprisingly, there was no leak. He checked again. I checked it myself and truly, there was no leak. I thought someone must have intentionally deflated my tyre. So, I topped it with 32 psi and put it back. (the spare tyre is not alloy and looks ugly!).

A week later, I left the car again over weekend and again the same tyre got deflated. I took it again, this time got the valve and rim checked as well. Again there was no leak. I put the tyre back, thinking someone is playing prank (although the car was parked at a different place).

Third time, I left the car away from home for couple of days and the same thing happened again.

I do not know what to do.

Here is history of the rouge tyre.

(1) Came home with car as stock in September 2009.
(2) Puncture, not one but two - got it fixed- but the method was not strictly as shown here. Essentially, the plug was half the length. But then I was ignorant.
(3) Last week there was another puncture. This time got it fixed properly as per the aforementioned post.

I even took it to the first goodyear dealer listed on goodyear india home page. But he expressed his inability to fix it and suggested that I take it to some petrol pump.

I had read somewhere in this forum that The Tyre Plaza and Mr. Anup is really good in south Delhi. It was near my house. But he suggested without even looking at the tyre that I put a tube in my tubeless tyre. I was not very convinced so I did not follow his suggestion.

So here I am stuck with a steel spare tyre, which looks ugly with by beautiful alloy under my boot.

This time I want to take it to a descent place which would diagnose and fix the problem. I do not want to put it on again because I fear that it would deflate again.

Any suggestions as to where should I take it. I live in south delhi. Anyplace near would be appreciated, but anywhere in delhi is fine as along as it would fix my problem. I am sure this won't be covered under warranty.
Old 10th May 2010, 22:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

It might be a faulty valve...

I think thats a possibility worth checking out...
Old 10th May 2010, 23:27   #3
BHPian

Another possibility is that the beading between the tire and the rim is leaking.
Old 10th May 2010, 23:48   #4
MAS
Senior - BHPian

It seems to be a problem of the valve. Under the weight of the car, the valve is not able to take the additional pressure and might be letting the air go through. This would not be visible if the tyre is removed (= no load) and checked.

Would suggest to fill in air at a much higher pressure (42) and have it checked.
Old 10th May 2010, 23:54   #5
BHPian

I don't know much about these tubeless tyres, but check this out though it might be really silly!

Do you use that small plastic lid for the mouth of the tube/tyre? ( I don't know what they call it!) I have heard that if you put a small stone/iron ball into that lid and close it, the air slowly leeks out without even having a puncture.
Remove the cover and check the inside carefully.

Someone might be playing a prank!
Old 10th May 2010, 23:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you've got the valve and the rim checked, Maybe the old punctures are acting up. After-all the exterior plug is not the recommended method of fixing punctures but a stop-go method before definitive repair.
Old 11th May 2010, 00:06   #7

I had a recent issue with my tubeless. the rear tyre on the right would deflate in 1 - 2 days of filling air. I dragged the problem for 10 - 12 days of re-filling air every other day, and finally went to the dealer where I had purchased it from. He checked for punctures, there were none. So he just polished the edges of the rim (where the tyre sits) with a sand paper to smoothen the grime. Also he did a tyre rotation and the problem is solved now for more than 2 weeks. Try to polish the edges of the rim with sandpaper, the grime accumulation there may be causing a loss in the pressure.
Old 11th May 2010, 08:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
If you've got the valve and the rim checked, Maybe the old punctures are acting up. After-all the exterior plug is not the recommended method of fixing punctures but a stop-go method before definitive repair.
Thanks, but what is the proper method of repairing puncture in a tubeless tyre, and where in delhi can I avail of such repair?

Will get the valve and old punctures checked again this time. But people please suggest some good place in delhi, preferably south delhi where I can take my tyre for repair.
Old 11th May 2010, 08:59   #9
BHPian

I suggest you to fill air in to the tyres. Then check it by dipping the tyres on rims in water.. this will help us to know whether is there any leak in valves or in b/w tyres and rims.

Gurus please suggest if any alternative to check the leak in total.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

@lawyer123: If you are averse to using steel wheel, dismount spare tyre from steel wheel and mount that tyre on alloy wheel that is leaking air. Mount leaking tyre onto spare steel wheel & leave it as spare.Also change the valve on alloy wheel while changing tyre.
  • If air leaks again in 2 days, then problem could be with beading of alloy wheel & not with the tyre.
  • If air doesn't leak on alloy wheel but leaks on spare steel wheel then problem lies with spare tyre and old punctures don't seem to have sealed correctly.
Carry out these changes at competent tyre shop. Hope this helps to identify & resolve the problem.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:42   #11
BHPian

I know this is not usually the case but the Rim could be at fault as well. There could be a crack/ damage somewhere that may be causing this but as many here think, it may just be a valve and hopefully not the rim.
Old 11th May 2010, 09:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

In my old rim, thanks to rust, there are always gaps between the rim and the tyre beading. So I have permanently put a tube inside the tubeless tyre (this is my stepney). Also check if the beading itself is damaged (cut or crack).
Old 11th May 2010, 12:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

If you checked for punctures thoroughly, i.e. by overinflating the tyre and then immersing it in water, if the air leaked from the old punctures, it would show up. I believe either the valve or the beading are the culprit. You can try following to diagnose it:

1. Replace the valve on the suspect tyre.
2. You have a spare. Put the suspect tyre on the steel spare, the spare tyre on the alloy. Put the alloy in the boot and mount the steel wheel on the car. If the beading was an issue, this method should help you find it.
Old 12th May 2010, 08:35   #14

Thank you everyone, I will surely act on your suggestions.

However, the question still remains, where should I take the tyre for repair. Anyone knows of a good place in south Delhi.

Please share the information and your experience with the place.
Old 20th November 2010, 19:13   #15
BHPian

Strange air leakage issue in new tubeless tyre

Bumping up an old thread as I find it to be most related.

My stock MRF ZVTS tubeless tyre on the left rear wheel of my Ford Fiesta is behaving peculiarly. The tyre is slowly but continously deflating on its own if left or driven. I noticed this about 2-3 weeks back. At first, I refilled and continued driving as there was no apparent problem in driving. But once I found that the air pressure is going down almost 1-1.5 psi everyday (I use a digital air pressure gauge), I thought I have got leaks. I visited a reputed tyre shop here and asked them to repair. But they could not find any such leaks. I asked them to check sidewalls too but nothing was found.

I came back refilling that tyre. But, sadly the story continues. So literally I have to fill up that tyre every 3-4 days which is quite irritating for me now.

Please help.

Note: I got 1 leak in that same tyre 2-3 months and got rectified it after couple of days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks