Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2012, 15:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Alloy wheel for Honda City VMT

I have a query as well and this seems like the appropriate place.

I am getting the City Corporate on the 24th of this month. I enquired from the dealer about the new 10-spoke "Accord-ish" alloys on the City facelift's V MT and it's separate availability but the dealer says that those alloys are not available immediately and will take some time.

The 5-spoke alloys (on the earlier V MT and now on the S MT) are available off the shelf, but the cost of each alloy is Rs. 10,511/-. That makes it about ~42,000/- for a set of 4 or ~52,500/- for a set of 5. Sounds like a humongous price! Plus, they said they will give the default steel rims back to me because they don't hold any buy-back utility.

My query is - is it possible to source OEM Honda alloys from outside at a cheaper price and get it fitted from outside, without voiding the warranty? Or do I stay put for the warranty period then go hunting for alloys?

I intend to upgrade to Michelin Primacy LC 195/60s as soon as I take delivery. Will that affect the warranty as well?

Thanks in advance, mates.
Old 4th February 2012, 19:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Update on the price of the new "Accord-ish" 10-spoke alloys of the V MT - it costs 6250/- per, so a set of 4 alloys will be 25K.

New alloys will be available independently after 1 month.

Old 4th February 2012, 23:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Very much possible, though not necessary new one's. Please enquire in tyre/alloy shop's regarding this. Sometimes you can even get a brand new piece for half the price quoted by the showroom guys. I got it for my VW here in chennai this way.

By the way, why would changing an alloy void your warranty? Cannot find any correlation.

As long as you are within the allowable 2% deviation for tyre upsize, you shouldnt have an problem with the warranty, though the dealer might say otherwise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

My query is - is it possible to source OEM Honda alloys from outside at a cheaper price and get it fitted from outside, without voiding the warranty? Or do I stay put for the warranty period then go hunting for alloys?

I intend to upgrade to Michelin Primacy LC 195/60s as soon as I take delivery. Will that affect the warranty as well?

bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 09:45   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Very much possible, though not necessary new one's. Please enquire in tyre/alloy shop's regarding this. Sometimes you can even get a brand new piece for half the price quoted by the showroom guys. I got it for my VW here in chennai this way.

By the way, why would changing an alloy void your warranty? Cannot find any correlation.

As long as you are within the allowable 2% deviation for tyre upsize, you shouldnt have an problem with the warranty, though the dealer might say otherwise!
Thanks, bala. I enquired from many shops in Raipur but none of them have the OEMs, even old ones. Looked like I have to go out of my state to get them. I am trying instead to strike a bargain with my dealer to get the OEMs at a cheaper price. Let's see what happens.

I don't know - dealers usually are touchy about such things. I am a bit worried about the suspension warranty, since I am taking the Extended Warranty as well.

Thanks for clarifying about the tyre size as well. Once I get the alloys, the upgrading of tyres is a definite.
Old 5th February 2012, 12:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

You are right, you may get more options in other states outside. Dont forget to keep an eye on t-bhp classifieds too. When I was shopping around for alloys saw a couple of very nice designs in Lenso/Plati for honda city. If you are unable to source OEM alloys, do give these a look.

The problem with tyres is that you get best buyback when they are new, so if you decide to wait around for the alloys, do go ahead and tyres changed ASAP. I would think CE variant comes with 15" steel rims?

And before I forget, excellent choice of a car and variant. Wishing you a very pleasant and memorable ownership experience.

Quote:
Thanks, bala. I enquired from many shops in Raipur but none of them have the OEMs, even old ones. Looked like I have to go out of my state to get them. I am trying instead to strike a bargain with my dealer to get the OEMs at a cheaper price. Let's see what happens.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 15:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi
Update on the price of the new "Accord-ish" 10-spoke alloys of the V MT - it costs 6250/- per, so a set of 4 alloys will be 25K.

New alloys will be available independently after 1 month.
The price seems quite fair seeing the fact that maruti is selling the new swift's alloys for 5k+tax

You can get them around 25% cheaper easily if you buy outside. They are available in delhi at some shops.

Last edited by k2max6 : 5th February 2012 at 15:59.
k2max6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 16:20   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
You are right, you may get more options in other states outside. Dont forget to keep an eye on t-bhp classifieds too. When I was shopping around for alloys saw a couple of very nice designs in Lenso/Plati for honda city. If you are unable to source OEM alloys, do give these a look.

The problem with tyres is that you get best buyback when they are new, so if you decide to wait around for the alloys, do go ahead and tyres changed ASAP. I would think CE variant comes with 15" steel rims?

And before I forget, excellent choice of a car and variant. Wishing you a very pleasant and memorable ownership experience.
Yes I went through Team BHP's Classifieds Accessories section yesterday. There are a few available but none were appealing. Looks like I have to go shopping soon.

Tyre change is a definite. I have got the Michelin Primacy LC 195ers on pre-order, and should get them within the next week-10 days. Also, I have insisted for Michelins from the dealer. They should hold good resale value.

Yes the CE comes with 15" steel rims.

Thanks, buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
The price seems quite fair seeing the fact that maruti is selling the new swift's alloys for 5k+tax

You can get them around 25% cheaper easily if you buy outside. They are available in delhi at some shops.
Thanks, my friend. I'll see if I can source them from Delhi through friends. Getting them fitted at the dealer's will save some hassle as well.
Old 12th February 2012, 20:33   #23
BHPian

RavenAvi, The Honda OEM alloys cost around 4 to 5 thousand each.
I got a good deal while buying the car.
The new alloy design looks good and the price also attractive though some hard negotiation is necessary to bring down below 5,000.
All the best for your alloy hunting. By the way what make are your OEM tires?

HC
Habanero City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 11:36   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Hi RavenAvi,

I have just booked the 2012 city E-MT and am on the hunt for the 10 spoke Accord-ish alloys as well. As per Solitaire Honda in Mumbai, the warranty will not get void by even upsizing to a size higher. But according to them, the suspension may get affected which, in turn could pose a problem in warranty. So they ask to wait till the first service or so before making a big upgrade. They even recommended getting the alloys from outside since it would make a huge difference in cost. I wonder if we could get anything close to the 10 spoke genuine honda alloys which I really like. I was looking keenly at the S-MT but striked it off since I did not want the old style 5 spoke alloys and would have changed it anyways and the difference in pricing was about a lakh betweek the E and the S- MT for very minor and liveable changes. I am speaking to different dealerships in Mumbai and when I get some positive news I shall update.

Cheers
SUNNY

Last edited by sunster : 15th March 2012 at 11:38.
sunster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 20:18   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
RavenAvi, The Honda OEM alloys cost around 4 to 5 thousand each.
I got a good deal while buying the car.
The new alloy design looks good and the price also attractive though some hard negotiation is necessary to bring down below 5,000.
All the best for your alloy hunting. By the way what make are your OEM tires?

HC
Thanks, my friend.

I tried to negotiate with them but they didn't budge because these are new alloys and have come in fresh into the market. The final price quoted was 6250/- per 10-spoke alloy, and I ordered them.

My OEMs are Goodyear GT3s. Pathetic, I know. Waiting a bit so that I can save enough money to go for a tyre upgrade at the earliest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunster View Post
Hi RavenAvi,

I have just booked the 2012 city E-MT and am on the hunt for the 10 spoke Accord-ish alloys as well. As per Solitaire Honda in Mumbai, the warranty will not get void by even upsizing to a size higher. But according to them, the suspension may get affected which, in turn could pose a problem in warranty. So they ask to wait till the first service or so before making a big upgrade. They even recommended getting the alloys from outside since it would make a huge difference in cost. I wonder if we could get anything close to the 10 spoke genuine honda alloys which I really like. I was looking keenly at the S-MT but striked it off since I did not want the old style 5 spoke alloys and would have changed it anyways and the difference in pricing was about a lakh betweek the E and the S- MT for very minor and liveable changes. I am speaking to different dealerships in Mumbai and when I get some positive news I shall update.

Cheers
SUNNY
Well, I have already paid in full for my set of 5 alloys (10-spoke ones). The dealer called me a couple days ago to inform me that my alloys had arrived, and I am waiting for my 31st March closing to get over before heading over to get them fitted (my dealership is 310 kms away) during my first service.

The 5-spoke ones (on the older VMT and the newer SMT) cost around ~10,500/- per alloy, and are grossly overpriced, IMO. I don't buy the theory that they are tougher alloys than the new ones. ~57K for a set of 5 sounds like daylight robbery!

I looked at some after-market stuff but didn't find anything impressive. I was leaning more for some sober, quiet and dignified alloys rather than flashy, showy ones. So when the dealer told me that the new 10-spoke ones would cost me around ~6K each, I took the decision and got myself the same. Total cost of 5 alloys is 31,250/-, which I think is pretty much on par.

Will post pics of the same in my ownership thread once I get them fitted.

Its a surprise that the Solitaire guys told you to upgrade to a size higher (and to get alloys from outside!) after the first free service! Generally Honda dealers want their customers to stick to them for such stuff, and not to do anything till the warranties are over. Pretty liberal dealer, I must say.

If you ask for my opinion, I would say to stick to the same profile for the alloys, and go for an upsize in tyres. 195/60/R15 seems the ideal upgrade, but folks around these parts have expressed their satisfaction with 195/65/R15s as well so you can go for those. FE might take a small hit but overall comfort and road grip improves immensely. But for the alloys, stick to the same R15s, IMO.

Keep us updated with your finalised options. All the best.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 17th March 2012 at 20:21.
Old 17th March 2012, 23:39   #26
BHPian

Hi RavenAvi

Thanks for your positive reply. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of your new alloys. I also looked at aftermarket stuff but I think for the City and it's tyre size the new 10 spoke ones look the best. I'm having difficulty sourcing it but I will not stop looking. Will post updates soon.

Cheers

Sunny
Old 15th June 2012, 14:32   #27
BHPian

IMO, a set of something like a Linea, with multiple cycl-ish spokes, would be the best bet. anyone knowing if there is an availability, with the approx cost?

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks