Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2008, 10:19   #166
Senior - BHPian

@AMIT,
where do you got that tyres in pune? please post dealer address.
my alto lxi is due for tyre change. i will try the tyre you tried.
Old 12th November 2008, 17:42   #167
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Amit. Did you notice any decrease in ground clearance with 155/70 tyre? Just asking casually .

In couple of days I am completing tyre changing work for my Alto (145 or 155 12inch tyre and Alloys).

I have seen few good looking Plati (12500/- set of 5) and Flying Machine (12,000/- set of 5) Alloys.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 13th November 2008, 00:51   #168
Senior - BHPian

ya the tyre looks smaller in diameter than the original ones in the wheel arcs. its but obvious that the ground clearance is reduced, though not marginally. but the tyres look damn cute with low profile and more width.

i got the wheel bearings changed. one of front and one of the rear. now there is no noise inside the cabin at all. the car has become so smooth. the main thing that has delighted me is the steering effect. the efforts are reduced by more than 80%. i was damn bugged up with heavy steering in the city while parking and all.

a remarkable difference between stock tyres and michelins, with michelins u feel like driving on air. mainly they are XM1+ that means longer life and more fuel efficiency. so there is more to gain than to spend 2300 bucks cheers:

regarding the alloys i think 4 are always enough. why waste money on a spare tyre. the price quoted to you is very good.
Old 13th November 2008, 01:06   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
ya the tyre looks smaller in diameter than the original ones in the wheel arcs. its but obvious that the ground clearance is reduced, though not marginally. but the tyres look damn cute with low profile and more width.
amit, can you please post some pics of your alto with new rubber? would love to see.
Old 13th November 2008, 08:49   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
amit, can you please post some pics of your alto with new rubber? would love to see.
+1 from me too! Please post some photos.
Old 13th November 2008, 12:01   #171
Senior - BHPian

PLEASE bear with me for the photo quality
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-image020.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-image021.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-image019.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-image022.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-image023.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-image024.jpg  

Old 14th November 2008, 13:59   #172
Senior - BHPian

the tyres are damn silent on cement roads too. and on smooth tar road (not the newly laid roads) there is ZERO in cabin noise. i tried hard braking at 60 kmph. the car stopped without a skid.
the thread depth is a bit more and the rubber is soft. no wonder 114 years of manufacturing experience has helped MICHELIN to build up a 12" tyre suited for indian roads and that too with a broader 155/70 R12.

one more thing i noticed was that my car rolls down a slope very easily without much losses. this proves that mileage will surely improve.
Old 14th November 2008, 14:41   #173
Senior - BHPian

Good to see that you have a wonderful choice by going for these Michelin's, Amit.

Do give us the next FE run and let us know if there has, in fact, been a rise in the FE.

RaviBhat - is this the weekend you plan to change the tyre's? Any decisions made?
Old 14th November 2008, 16:53   #174
Senior - BHPian

I am actually not fully done with tyre and Alloys purchase although I have already made payment to the shop I know very well which is near Vijayanagar since I got best deal from them.

Tyres Purchased: 145/80 R12 Michellin XM1+ set of 5
Plati 5 Spoke Black Machine Alloys set of 5. PCD:100, Right now only issue is ET (offset) = 30 on 4 Alloys and 1 alloy has ET=35. I wanted ET=40 or at least 38 or 35 for Alto. So trying to source corresponding set. Hopefully in couple of days I will be set. You can visit my garage 2008 Alto Lxi - ravibhat's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP to see how chrome bolt projects 1cm outside the Alloys surface which have ET(offset)=30, so ET=35 or 38 or 40 would be good choice for Alto which they are trying to source.

With ET=30 there is no any issue even with 100+ speeds I tested it a day back but I really feel Alto needs at least 35 os offset.
Onething I learnt Michellins are awasome as long as we don't travel in very bad roads. Very very soft tyres hence excellant comfort and almost ZERO noice and better braking performance.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 14th November 2008 at 16:58.
Old 14th November 2008, 18:02   #175
Senior - BHPian

Is there any noticable difference between the Michelin 155/65 and 155/70 R12. I assume both can be mounted on stock rims and alloys are not a must.
Old 14th November 2008, 19:16   #176
Senior - BHPian

According to me 155/70 R12 or 155/65 R13 are best options for Alto apaprt from its stock size 145/80 R12 and one can mount tubeless on stock RIM although Alloys are preferred for Tubeless.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 14th November 2008, 19:27   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
one can mount tubeless on stock RIM although Alloys are preferred for Tubeless.
Regards,Ravi.
This is the decision I need to take in a few weeks. Can I expect any damage to the tyre if mounted on OE rims? I am not a great fan of alloys although I like the looks.

I am assuming no damage will happen because Swift's tubeless JKs come on rims and I havent heard of any damage. I am just concerned because the dealer is highly recommending alloys for Michelins.
Old 14th November 2008, 21:28   #178
Senior - BHPian

I feel one can fit tubeless tyres on Steel RIMS provided RIM is not too old (rust, bend one need to look into) to fit tubeless. Alto stock RIMS quality is good so one can fit tubeless thats what tyre shop guy advised me last month.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 14th November 2008, 22:21   #179
Senior - BHPian

i had no issues in fitting tubeless michelins over stock rims. not an issue at all. my alto rims are 4.5 years old and not even a single spot of corrosion. this is maruti QUALITY and RELIABILITY.

@ Ravi, i think u should go for 155 instead of 145.
if you keep the two tyres 155/65 R13 and 155/70 R12 you will hardly find any difference at all.
Old 14th November 2008, 22:26   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
This is the decision I need to take in a few weeks. Can I expect any damage to the tyre if mounted on OE rims? I am not a great fan of alloys although I like the looks.

I am assuming no damage will happen because Swift's tubeless JKs come on rims and I havent heard of any damage. I am just concerned because the dealer is highly recommending alloys for Michelins.
Dealer is trying to make out money from you. in pune no michelin dealer will suggest you compulsory alloys for michelins. infact there is no logic behind it.

i am also a great fan of alloys, but paying so much and ending up with issues like scrapping would have been painful. mainly it was my dealer who forced me to put them on stock rim itself as he has faced many issues on alto installed with alloys.
also the maruti workshop people told me that many people who have put offset alloys on alto have faced suspension and wheel bearing problems

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks