Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2017, 17:16   #361
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 5,099
Thanked: 36,601 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Mine is 2009 Alto, 28k on the odo. MRF tyres still look good, plenty of tread left and no cracks. Regularly carried out five wheel rotation once every year. But they are 8 years old, and I contemplate to change them a few months down the line. None of the tyres have been removed from the rim so far,not even once.

Will the rims be good for tubeless tyres or should I change them to be on the safer side? There are no bends or dents that I can see.
Rims can be checked for perfect roundness on a balancing machine. They place a pointer on the lip and it tells if any deformation is there. Another point to look for is rust, specially near the valve hole. If your rim doesn't have these issues, then you can install tubeless on the existing rims.

If in case you are changing the rim, make sure to mount it on a balancing machine and make sure no eccentricity is there. A batch with defective rims had come, which were wobbly right out of the factory. So please make sure to check them before purchasing any rim.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 10:36   #362
BHPian
 
kanu2k15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 104
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I also got Goodyear Ducaro Hi Miller for my alto. Costed me 2300 per tyre, got all 5. My old mrf zvts were full of punchers and were getting hard and deformed causing bubbling in the car but they lasted for 41000 kms. Also got chrome valves with 2 year warranty for 500 additional. Paid via card and the total amount of 12000 included 2% card charges, balancing alignment.
So far they look good. Have been given 2 year sidewall cut guarantee too with buyback option and 5 year warranty.
kanu2k15 is offline  
Old 27th June 2018, 16:07   #363
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 22
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Guys,

I own a 2004 Alto LX, Current ODO reading at 1.10 Lac Kms; I wish to go for a Tyre and Rim upgrade. Is it recommended to go for for 195/45/R15 size.

Awaiting your feedback.
cn.vishnu is offline  
Old 11th July 2018, 20:08   #364
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 337
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi all,

Have a 2007 Maruti Alto Lx done 77K Kms.
I am thinking of taking it on a Ladakh trip from july 28.
The Apollo Amazer 3G tyres have almost gone bald.
Need suggestions for tyres that will be able to take ladakh trip.
The stock size is 145/80R12. would like to have increased ground clearance.
With the 12 inch rims i dont think there is any other size available.
As the car is 11 years old, is it better if I change the rims as well?
What is a good upgrade for increased ground clearance with new rims?
guptavis is offline  
Old 12th July 2018, 11:34   #365
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 873
Thanked: 1,193 Times
Default

Go for standard Bridgestone tyres and no need to change the rims. Change them aftetwards if you get them bent during your trip. Bridgestone uses a relatively harder compound and it will be good to avoid punctures and damage on the Leh trip.
Traveler is offline  
Old 24th October 2018, 10:18   #366
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 57
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

A close friend of mine told me that Michelin might stop the producing the XM2 145/80/R12 due to poor demand. Is this true? Can some from Michelin confirm this?

Thanks in Advance!
ard1955 is offline  
Old 21st November 2018, 23:54   #367
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 337
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hello,

I have a 2007 Alto Lx done 78K kms which needs a tyre change.
I would like a little wider tyre and a little more ground clearance because i take it to bad hill roads. The alto has a bumpy suspension so i dont want to decrease the sidewall.

Anyone know if 165/70R13 causes any issues (i know its 4.7% increase over stock diameter but i dont intend to take the car on highway speeds)? i know the correct upsize is 165/60R13 but want a little increase in GC (12mm) and dont want to reduce sidewall for ride comfort. If this size is too big then how about 155/70R13? This one is less than 2% increase over stock size but only gives 5mm extra GC.
guptavis is offline  
Old 28th November 2018, 22:30   #368
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 337
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi all,

Made a last minute plan to go upto chanshal pass this weekend on friday the 23rd.
Knew the terrain is very tough and the tyres could cause all sorts of problems so had to change the bald apollo amazer 3G 145/80 R12 tyres the same day! Went to a tyre shop (apollo dealer that also stocks all other brands except MRF ) from where i had bought tyres for my city in 2012. When i said i was thinking of getting a wider tyre he said go for 155/65R13 or 165/65R13. I asked about 165/70R13 and he said that will scrape too much on the alto. Said he put it for a guy once and he came back within a week saying it scrapes all the time (just the kind of first hand experience i needed to take that size off my list). When the steering is turned to a side even with no load, the gap from the wheelwell is hardly 1cm on 155/70 R13 tyres. So 165/70R13 will touch even without load on turning and with load it will scrape too much. In my searches I could not find a definitive post on the forum that said 165/70R13 in an Alto is a strict no.

Asked for 155/70R13 and he was ready to install that. He offered me Apollo Amazer 4g life for Rs.2725 per tyre. I enquired for Alnac in this size and he was very reluctant to sell it. He said that one doesnt sell much now as life is comparatively lesser, company is manufacturing alnac less in this size. He said these tyres come with two year warranty against cuts and bursts. I wasnt very happy with the super hard rubber ( plus I was sure the mods would kick me out of this forum if i bought this tyre ;p).
He very reluctantly agreed to get me alnacs from the 'warehouse' at the same price. I was reading all the information on the sidewall (i guess he picked up that i was looking at manufacturing date) when he said that the 4G life is fresh stock and the alnacs would be 2017 made. I read the date on this tyre, it was 3818! That is september end. I realised that i do take the car to rough roads and no roads in the mountains so the strong rubber will be useful.

Then i suddenly realised my long pending dream of driving to Leh in this car. That did it! At that thought i forgot everything else. I sealed the deal at the thought of Leh drive. (Its been thought and cancelled multiple times before and still not sure if it will ever materialize, but i wish it does). Rock hard and resilient tyres may come handy on road to leh, even spiti circuit!

Replacing stock 12" rims with 13" rims of the Alto K10 Rs.1400
Four Apollo Amazer 4G Life tyres 155/70 R13 Rs.2725x4=Rs.10900
Quote Rs.12,300 on asking once he offered Rs.12,000 which i accepted.
Wheel balancing and alignment and new valves were included.
Forgot to ask for buyback price of the old Apollo Amazer 3G tyres! But i guess would not have been much as the tread had reached the treadwear indicators.

Tyres:
155/70 R13. Treadwear 300, Traction B Temperature B.
Plies (shouldnt this be plys?): Tread- 1 polyester + 2 steel + 2 polyamide, sidewall 1 polyester
The tyre is assymetric. It says 'Inner Side' on one side of the sidewall. You have to register your purchase online within a month to be eligible for the 2 year 'unconditional' warranty!

Pics of the tyres posted below. The tyres have manufacturing date within four months. One is even 4518! That would be less than 2 weeks old! But the rims seem to be a little deformed! Had made the deal and the trip next day was hanging on my head so accepted them. Hope they're not too bad?
Rim:1104T SSWL 4(1/2)Jx13 26ARI
Do rims follow a similar mfg date scheme as tyres? Does this mean these are week-11 year-2004?


Installed on friday evening and left for the solo trip on saturday afternoon. The drive on broken non-existent roads, big rocks, etc went well. There was some fresh mud landslides on the way to rohru which were being cleared with bulldozers and there were ~50m patches of loose mud and sand on which the car just floated like a boat (no grip!).

If any of you have been to chanshal pass then you know that the last 24Kms is steep gradient, no road, sand, big rocks, large craters (probably tar has never been put on it). 7-8 Kms before the pass snow had started appearing on the road. Drove 2-3 Kms and the snow started increasing and looking like black slippery ice and a little bit of slush. I got a bit nervous as the tyres began to skid a little (was in 1st gear and going slow around 10-15kmph). I have driven in a little bit of snow before at various times in shimla, narkanda and once even in Kaza so it wasnt first experience on snow. I decided to park the car and walked the rest of the ~5Kms to the pass. Though I found hardly any more snow on the way except ~ 1 km at the pass.
The drive lasted 498kms and i think there is definitely more grip and tyres feel more planted (compared to earlier amazer 3G so no big shoes to fill) due to wider tyres and full tread depth. Hope there is some improvement on sand/slush etc.
Hope this helps. Will try to post here with a long term review.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20181128_082632.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20181128_082651.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20181128_082716.jpg  

Attached Images
 

Last edited by guptavis : 28th November 2018 at 22:32.
guptavis is offline  
Old 27th December 2018, 16:34   #369
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,985
Thanked: 3,010 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Mine is 2009 Alto, 28k on the odo. MRF tyres still look good, plenty of tread left and no cracks. Regularly carried out five wheel rotation once every year. But they are 8 years old, and I contemplate to change them a few months down the line. None of the tyres have been removed from the rim so far,not even once.

Will the rims be good for tubeless tyres or should I change them to be on the safer side? There are no bends or dents that I can see.
Finally got around to change four tyres to Apollo Amazer 4G tubeless on Christmas day. Dealer inspected the rims and pronounced them good. Bought the stock size tyres 145/80/R12. Initial impressions are good. Ride feels softer and noticeably low tyre noise.

Paid Rs 2600 per tyre inclusive of balancing and alignment. All five old MRF ZVTS tube tyres were in pretty much identical condition, so left the stepney in place unchanged.

Last edited by Gansan : 27th December 2018 at 16:36.
Gansan is online now  
Old 27th December 2018, 17:06   #370
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore,Coorg
Posts: 1,073
Thanked: 716 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn.vishnu View Post
Guys,

I own a 2004 Alto LX, Current ODO reading at 1.10 Lac Kms; I wish to go for a Tyre and Rim upgrade. Is it recommended to go for for 195/45/R15 size.

Awaiting your feedback.
Saw this post very late, but I definitely wouldn't recommend 195/15 inch tyres. The tyres will be too wide and possibly touch the body when turning. Also, not sure if you get a 15" rim which will fit on an Alto.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 19:33   #371
BHPian
 
ash22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Bumping this thread again.
Need advice on the tyre brand West Lake 145/80 R12.

My alto is at 98K Kms running in Michelin XM2 145/80 R12. With proper maintenance, I was able to complete 55,000 km with these tyres.
Since the current Michelin is showing age with rough patches and back to back punctures, Planning to get it changed.

Enquired a tyre dealer nearby and he offered MRF (2,400/- Per Tyre) and West Lake (1950/-Tyre)

Not a budget constraint, I can replace with Michelin XM2 again (3,400/- Per tyre) but hearing this West Lake name for the first time.

BHPians, Please share your views.
ash22 is offline  
Old 12th September 2020, 08:44   #372
BHPian
 
ash22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash22 View Post
Bumping this thread again.
Need advice on the tyre brand West Lake 145/80 R12.

My alto is at 98K Kms running in Michelin XM2 145/80 R12. With proper maintenance, I was able to complete 55,000 km with these tyres.
Since the current Michelin is showing age with rough patches and back to back punctures, Planning to get it changed.

Enquired a tyre dealer nearby and he offered MRF (2,400/- Per Tyre) and West Lake (1950/-Tyre)

Not a budget constraint, I can replace with Michelin XM2 again (3,400/- Per tyre) but hearing this West Lake name for the first time.

BHPians, Please share your views.
Sashi suggested GoodYear Ducaro Hi-Miler. I did had a search for the same in Chennai and cant find a recent batch. Few were 2019 manufactured and in a LAL Tyre shop, They promised me to get in couple of days which i denied since i had to travel to Banglore the next day.

Went with Apollo Amazer 4g Life, August 2020 Manufactured. (5 years of total wattenty) includes (2 years unconditional wattenty).

4 tyres including Wheel alignment+Balancing costs 10,700 INR.
Since i was running my old michellin with tubes, I just went with the same setup and not with tubeless. My rims are 13 years old, though zero rust, I dont want to take risk by installing tubeless in the rims.
Old Michellin tyre is just bald and with uneven patches. Sold those for scrap at 100 Rs for 4 tyres tyres in exchange. So, Paid 10,600 INR.
With this, Each tyre costed me 2650 INR (Inclusive Wheel Balancing+Alignment+Fitting charges)

Review - Apollo Amazer 4g Life.
Trip from Chennai-Hosur-Banglore-Chennai
700 Kms round trip.

> Excelelnt Road Grip in highways
> Low road noise
> Compared to Michelin, It is little hard and cant get the comfort of Michelin, But VFM.
> Go for it eyes closed and you wont regret.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot-20200912-8.42.45-am.png  

Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-screenshot-20200912-8.42.31-am.png  

ash22 is offline  
Old 16th September 2020, 01:03   #373
BHPian
 
urbanzameendar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Bhuj
Posts: 34
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Car: Maruti Alto LXi - Fully Stock

I am currently on a set of Falken SINCERA SN845 145/80 R12 which has completed 45,000 in 2 years to be precise. Both the rear tires developed bubbles unexpectedly, as confirmed by my Alignment and Balancing guy. I am still not sure about the cause for this development, it could be a manufacturing defect or a result of frequent driving on under-construction national highways.

The bubbles have hampered the ride a lot. The car sort of shakes at the rear at speeds below 30 kmph. I got my suspension checked immediately after learning about the tire condition, but my FNG found the suspension in perfect condition except a worn out wheel bearing at the rear left which was promptly replaced with a one from FAG. As suggested by the Alignment and FNG guys, the tires needs to be changed in the near future. I am planning to get a new set of 4 tires as soon as I reach 55,000 kms on these ones.

My tire guy (a multibrand dealer) even offered to get the 2 rogue tires exchanged under warranty if I have the invoice or warranty registered, but owing to my stupidity, I have none. I bought these tires from a friend's friend's shop, the payment was adjusted against some receivables of that friend in question. Now that dealer has closed down his shop and settled abroad a year back. So guess nothing much can be done about it.

I am infact happy with the performance of Falken, especially during a couple of heart-in-mouth panic braking situations. But the bubbles getting developed at 45k kms is a bit surprising and acting as a deterrent to opting for Falken once again. Also I am not entirely happy with the tire noise over 80 kmph on these Falkens. I am looking for tires with low noise, good grip, comfortable ride and less prone to getting punctured. My driving is 90% on proper highways and 10% on broken or uneven roads. I do long stretches in one go.

I was looking at Apollo Amazer 4G (offers a 2 years unconditional warranty). I am open to spend upto 3.5k per tire. Would love to have suggestions from the experienced.
urbanzameendar is offline  
Old 17th September 2020, 12:06   #374
BHPian
 
deepakv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 120
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanzameendar View Post
Car: Maruti Alto LXi - Fully Stock

I am currently on a set of Falken SINCERA SN845 145/80 R12 which has completed 45,000 in 2 years to be precise. Both the rear tires developed bubbles unexpectedly, as confirmed by my Alignment and Balancing guy. I am still not sure about the cause for this development, it could be a manufacturing defect or a result of frequent driving on under-construction national highways.

The bubbles have hampered the ride a lot. The car sort of shakes at the rear at speeds below 30 kmph. I got my suspension checked immediately after learning about the tire condition, but my FNG found the suspension in perfect condition except a worn out wheel bearing at the rear left which was promptly replaced with a one from FAG. As suggested by the Alignment and FNG guys, the tires needs to be changed in the near future. I am planning to get a new set of 4 tires as soon as I reach 55,000 kms on these ones.

My tire guy (a multibrand dealer) even offered to get the 2 rogue tires exchanged under warranty if I have the invoice or warranty registered, but owing to my stupidity, I have none. I bought these tires from a friend's friend's shop, the payment was adjusted against some receivables of that friend in question. Now that dealer has closed down his shop and settled abroad a year back. So guess nothing much can be done about it.

I am infact happy with the performance of Falken, especially during a couple of heart-in-mouth panic braking situations. But the bubbles getting developed at 45k kms is a bit surprising and acting as a deterrent to opting for Falken once again. Also I am not entirely happy with the tire noise over 80 kmph on these Falkens. I am looking for tires with low noise, good grip, comfortable ride and less prone to getting punctured. My driving is 90% on proper highways and 10% on broken or uneven roads. I do long stretches in one go.

I was looking at Apollo Amazer 4G (offers a 2 years unconditional warranty). I am open to spend upto 3.5k per tire. Would love to have suggestions from the experienced.
Look for the Michelin XM2+ if you have a budget of upto 3.5k. You will not be disappointed. I am running the XM2 on my K10 with an upsize (165/65R13) since purchase on stock wheels and very satisfied.
https://www.michelin.in/auto/tyres/m...nergy-xm2-plus
deepakv is offline  
Old 17th September 2020, 12:29   #375
BHPian
 
Yakuza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 109
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

With your requirements and budget that you have, I would second deepakv. I have used the XM2+ on the Alto and I would highly recommend them over the other options in the OE size.
Yakuza is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks