Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 13:35   #91
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai ( Borivali )
Posts: 328
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Tubeless on Stock RIMS is not a good option, I would suggest if you are planning to keep same RIMS go for Tubbed Tires, JK tires has good offer : 3 yrs / 450000 km warranty and its very economical
nicejits is offline  
Old 10th July 2008, 13:41   #92
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 23,539
Thanked: 19,696 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
Tubeless on Stock RIMS is not a good option, I would suggest if you are planning to keep same RIMS go for Tubbed Tires, JK tires has good offer : 3 yrs / 450000 km warranty and its very economical
Why not? I am using tubless on stock rims, and nowadays many cars with steel rims come with tubless tires.
Only in case of rim damage due to bending etc., you need a new rim, and cost is around 500rs
tsk1979 is offline  
Old 10th July 2008, 14:05   #93
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai ( Borivali )
Posts: 328
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

rim damage - thats d point my friend, it will will be recurring expense for BUXX
nicejits is offline  
Old 10th July 2008, 14:12   #94
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: GTA
Posts: 14,826
Thanked: 2,669 Times
Default

I know of two friends of mine who are using tubeless on stock rims on Alto & have faced no issues in last 3 years.
Technocrat is offline  
Old 10th July 2008, 14:15   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,341
Thanked: 826 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
rim damage - thats d point my friend, it will will be recurring expense for BUXX
This is new to me. I have run my car on tubeless with the stock rims on the worst of roads and no issues as such.

To be precise I did numerous trips to Kundapur and Mangalore in 2006 and also covered almost 6-8k kms with tubeless tyres on stock rims. No damages what so ever.

My trips was mostly on the dreaded Bangalore - Mangalore highway.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 10th July 2008 at 14:17.
rjstyles69 is offline  
Old 10th July 2008, 14:25   #96
BHPian
 
cyclops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 297
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

okay.. i guess i got it wrong. mine are xm1+. the energy series was not available in the said size..
cyclops is offline  
Old 10th July 2008, 14:29   #97
BHPian
 
cyclops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 297
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
rim damage - thats d point my friend, it will will be recurring expense for BUXX
i've done 6k on the stock rims with tubeless xm1+'s.. no problem with the wheels yet.. though the tyres got punctured many times..
cyclops is offline  
Old 10th July 2008, 15:02   #98
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DELHI
Posts: 657
Thanked: 347 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Assuming you are sticking to the same wheels as you mentioned in the post, 155/70/R12 Tubeless can be a good upsize. Oops ! so are you planning for tube ones or tube less?

155/70/R12--Goodyear GPS2 Tubeless is one option
165/60/R12 -->G3's Bridgestone

Not sure about michelins or Yokos in the same range. Others might be able to chip in for that.

Dont mind going the Tubeless way if the cost difference isnt too much over the tubed ones.

How much do the GPS 2 cost?
& are the 165/60 too wide for an Alto? and nobody has given the suggestion to get upsized 13" tyres? why?!

i would like to get non-indian brands only...so no Ceat,MRFs for me..

Plz DO answer the 2nd part of my Query:


Quote:
1)any benefit if i replace the old rims with new ones?

2)Also, if i get the new tyres; would i need to get Wheel Balancing& Alignment also?

3)Plaese suggest as to what tyres should i get( with price) & a good Dealer in Delhi.
BUXX is offline  
Old 10th July 2008, 15:26   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,238
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
rim damage - thats d point my friend, it will will be recurring expense for BUXX
I think its definitely a myth associated that tubeless tyres cannot run on stock rims as there are many rides that defy that logic and still run pretty well. Yeah ! Its a different story altogether as generally on tyre up gradation to tubeless most of the folks plan on alloys to balance the aesthetics and i think its nothing more than that.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline  
Old 10th July 2008, 20:50   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
akroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 2,423
Thanked: 74 Times
Default

Suggest you to go for tubeless for sure. If you want to stick to same size tyres then Michelin XM1+ 145/80R12 is in market now. get them.

If you want to upsize then go for 155/70R12...

If you want to upgrade your rims as well then pls go through the following thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...michelins.html

The handling improves many fold on 13inchers.

Abhi
akroy is offline  
Old 10th July 2008, 23:26   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 278 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
I think its definitely a myth associated that tubeless tyres cannot run on stock rims as there are many rides that defy that logic and still run pretty well. Yeah ! Its a different story altogether as generally on tyre up gradation to tubeless most of the folks plan on alloys to balance the aesthetics and i think its nothing more than that.
It can but there can also be problems. My friend has air loss problem with more than one tyre on his Octavia. He has even put a tube inside one tyre.
It also depends on how strong the steel rims are. If you use tubeless on Matiz steel rims for example, you are in for trouble... So, the risk is higher that you lose air with tubeless on steel rims - however, as a %, that could still be a minor fraction.
lancer_rit is offline  
Old 11th July 2008, 09:09   #102
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,238
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
It can but there can also be problems. My friend has air loss problem with more than one tyre on his Octavia. He has even put a tube inside one tyre.
It also depends on how strong the steel rims are. If you use tubeless on Matiz steel rims for example, you are in for trouble... So, the risk is higher that you lose air with tubeless on steel rims - however, as a %, that could still be a minor fraction.
Well ! again it could be true for the instance you quoted and one never knows if such things does not happen in their vicinity.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline  
Old 11th July 2008, 13:10   #103
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DELHI
Posts: 657
Thanked: 347 Times
Default

Quote:
Suggest you to go for tubeless for sure. If you want to stick to same size tyres then Michelin XM1+ 145/80R12 is in market now. get them.

If you want to upsize then go for 155/70R12...

If you want to upgrade your rims as well then pls go through the following thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...michelins.html

The handling improves many fold on 13inchers.
i looked thro your thread & really wouldnt mind getting the 13" !!

1)i hope they dont scrape when u do a sharp turn or while on potholes/speedbreakers??

2)& did u hav to modify your bumper/wheel arch?

I was planning to get new rims in any case; so might as well get one suited for the 13" tyres. 3)any suggstns for the rims??

4)& lastly, are the tubeless more prone to punctures? and can these punctures be fixed by any roadside mechanic?? i have no idea abt tubeless!!

Wat wud b my choices for a 5) wide, 13" tubeless tyre?

Thx guys!! This is urgent! i need to get the tyres on Sat !
BUXX is offline  
Old 11th July 2008, 13:30   #104
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 334
Thanked: 68 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
Tubeless on Stock RIMS is not a good option, I would suggest if you are planning to keep same RIMS go for Tubbed Tires, JK tires has good offer : 3 yrs / 450000 km warranty and its very economical

you mean 45000 km warranty
bharanidharang is online now  
Old 11th July 2008, 13:41   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,238
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
i looked thro your thread & really wouldnt mind getting the 13" !!

1)i hope they dont scrape when u do a sharp turn or while on potholes/speedbreakers??

2)& did u hav to modify your bumper/wheel arch?

I was planning to get new rims in any case; so might as well get one suited for the 13" tyres. 3)any suggstns for the rims??

4)& lastly, are the tubeless more prone to punctures? and can these punctures be fixed by any roadside mechanic?? i have no idea abt tubeless!!

Wat wud b my choices for a 5) wide, 13" tubeless tyre?

Thx guys!! This is urgent! i need to get the tyres on Sat !
Well if you are planning to change the rims go for the 13" alloys and you do have a wide choice of tyres for 13" 5J wheels . You can go ahead with Michelin XM1 :155/65/R13, 165/60/R13(My alto has these)
Bridgestone too you get 165/60/R13 Potenza. I am not sure about Yokos maybe someone else might point you on this.

You can also go through my thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ims-tires.html
where many of your queries might be answered.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks