Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 10:38   #1
BHPian

OEM JK Tyre damaged. Maruti SX4 at 16000 kms

Hi Guys,

I use my SX4 2009 ZXi as my daily ride to office and few highway tours too quite regularly. It has the regular JK Tyres as standard fitment and have been driven for 16000 kms.
I have got an issue now with one of the tyres which stripped off a layer of steel belt rubber from the tyre surface after the last weekend trip to Shimoga. The wheel alignment was regularly done and the last time it was done was at 13000 kms.
Today I replaced them with the stepney and have given the stripped tyre to Pratham Motors (bellandur). My question are:
1. "Would they replace with a new tyre from JK Tyre or would it be charged to me". As far as the service manager said it would be replaced free of cost".
2. Is there a way that I can escalate this to Maruti Head office and get all the tyres changed to any other brand (say Bridgestone) to avoid the risk of being in same situation later continuing this JK Tyre.

Thanks,
Anup
Old 15th June 2010, 12:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

It seems more of an issue with the alignment than the brand. What does your FNG say?

What issue has the Pratham SM found for you?

The vectras otherwise get good reports from my memory
Old 15th June 2010, 16:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

How could rock hard JK tyres wear out in 16,000 kms?
I think its got all to do with the alignment.
I'd like to know where and when you got the alignment done.
And please scan and post pictures of the toe/camber values after each alignment.
Old 15th June 2010, 17:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I had a similar issue with my 165/80/R14 JK Tornado tires that came stock with my 2005 Swift Vxi. The tires were definitely not upto the mark and wore out in around 15000 kms. I personally believe that since these tires are really narrow for a 88bhp vehicle, they tend to wear out faster than normal, but I could be wrong. I have also noticed that the wheel alignment done at most authorised service centers are not perfect and do tend to result in slight pulling of the vehicle to a particular side. In the last few stages of my tires, I got the wheel alignment done outside and noticed that the tires did not detoriate further but it was already too late by then.

I then upsized to 15" rims with 195/60/R15 tires and my tires lasted for around 30k kms. I am now riding on 205/55/R15s since the past 12k kms with no issues.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
How could rock hard JK tyres wear out in 16,000 kms?
I think its got all to do with the alignment.
I'd like to know where and when you got the alignment done.
And please scan and post pictures of the toe/camber values after each alignment.
The tyre alignment was last done with Sagar automobile at 12000 kms. Then on there was a slight tilt of steering towards, though the vehicle used to go straight. Could that be the issue?

Anyways I have got back the tyre from Pratham saying that it has to be given to Sagar itself, since the car was being maintained by Sagar these days. So I have to visit them this weekend (since weekdays its damn difficult traveling all the way from South to East and then again back).
Let's see what Sagar motors has got to say about this.

Anup
Old 16th June 2010, 13:55   #6
BHPian

Misalignment can wear out tyres faster than you think. But arent JKs supposed to be harder compound?

I think you can get replacement from JK for it. They might ask you to pay some % of the amount.
Old 3rd July 2010, 00:08   #7
agm
BHPian

Same happened to JK tyres in my Swift VDI with just 17k km on the odo. Was doing 150km/hr in highway and all of a sudden car started vibrating like anything ,almost rammed into one of the stationary car . Tyre changed its shape completely ,have never seen as such before

Changed all the tyres to Goodyear,its working fine and noise level is way less then that of JK .

Last edited by agm : 3rd July 2010 at 00:09.
Old 3rd July 2010, 00:45   #8
BHPian

Fifteen days back I was driving my Dzire ZDI back from my native (250 KM from Kolkata) through NH2. Was doing 100 to 110 KMPH. It is 7 in the morning. Nice empty road. Was halfway. Suddenly a banging sound and then a LOUD rumble. Car pulls to left and then somehow I could stop the car.
Went out and saw that my front left tire (stock JK Vectra 185/70R14) vertically got split in half. Inner half still on rim and outer half got curled inside the other half.
My brother is a tire dealer. We have seen many a type of tire manage but never saw something like this. By the way my brother is a tyre dealer and get alignment, wheel balancing and tyre rotation done every 4000KM. And my tyres has 40% tread remaining.
In the incident my tire well lining got busted.
Anyway changes to spare wheel and called the customer relationship manager at auto hitech service center and asked if i shoul contact jk or maruti. He confirmed that as the tire came with the car it will be them who will do the necessary things on my behalf. Did I mention I love Maruti especially having a skoda, a hyundai, a mahindra in the family.
I drove straight to them. They removed the tire gave a spare tire of reasonable condition and replaced the wheel well lining.
Though they didn't have the MGA mud flap.
Anyway I called two days later and they have confirmed that they have sent the tire to JK and awaiting a response.
Four days later Service manager called me and said that JK has outrightly rejected the case saying it was a run on puncture case. Service manager said that he will compensate on my 40K service for this.
I am going put Michelin XM1+ energy this weekend.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:08   #9
BHPian

Replaced all four with Michelin XM1+ 185/65 R14. Ride has improved a lot. Handling is seemed to be same. Tyre noise has reduced to such extent that first time I am feeling DDIS engine sounds a lot. Preponed 40K service by 2K. Car feels comfortable, silent. Though handling wise my expectation was more from a brand like Michelin. I didn't find any difference in handling compared to my stock JK vectras.
Old 10th March 2013, 07:21   #10

I changed my stock JK vectra after 60k and a lot of road noise and exactly 11 punctures and a center line bend. .. I guess they still had some life in them but as i am planning a road trip in march end thought of changing them before hand.. Adding a pic of old as well as new tyres.

after a really long and confusing search and discussions and to and fro movement between 205/215/225 and michelin/ yoko/ bridgestone/apollo and for once even JK, decided to go to the tyre shop and take a call there..

The tyre guy (mahavir tyres, palika bhawan, r k puram) gave me a patient hearing and helped me decide on them.. Apollo Acelere.. Following were the main reason that clinched the deal for Apollo

1. Absolute VFM (5900 a piece)
2. Side body flexibility. Michelin and Yoko was obviously more soft but IMO, the Acelere were adequately soft to add to driving comfort yet firm to withstand any sudden surprises on potholes/rough patches on Indian roads
3. Bridgestone was a directional tyre and i wanted the flexibility to be able to rotate the tyres amongst each other as well as inside out manner

Iam sure Primacy is a great tyre but somehow the Acelere made more sense to me. Will try and post a review after 1k to see how are things shaping up..
Attached Thumbnails
OEM JK Tyre damaged. Maruti SX4 at 16000 kms-image2082600649.jpg  

OEM JK Tyre damaged. Maruti SX4 at 16000 kms-image2232208907.jpg  

Old 10th March 2013, 11:10   #11
BHPian

Re: OEM JK Tyre damaged. Maruti SX4 at 16000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjunkie View Post
I changed my stock JK vectra after 60k and a lot of road noise and exactly 11 punctures and a center line bend. .. I guess they still had some life in them but as i am planning a road trip in march end thought of changing them before hand.. Adding a pic of old as well as new tyres.

1. Absolute VFM (5900 a piece)
2. Side body flexibility. Michelin and Yoko was obviously more soft but IMO, the Acelere were adequately soft to add to driving comfort yet firm to withstand any sudden surprises on potholes/rough patches on Indian roads
3. Bridgestone was a directional tyre and i wanted the flexibility to be able to rotate the tyres amongst each other as well as inside out manner

Iam sure Primacy is a great tyre but somehow the Acelere made more sense to me. Will try and post a review after 1k to see how are things shaping up..
What did you do with the old tyres??? I am planning to go for accelere myself @ 5800.
Old 10th March 2013, 12:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

my last set of Acceler lasted just 30K on my SX4, despite the fact that I maintain the balancing and alignment regularly. the OEM JKs laster 40K

Now at 70K I am looking for another replacement :(
Old 10th March 2013, 13:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post

What did you do with the old tyres??? I am planning to go for accelere myself @ 5800.
I got 200 for them.. The treads were in a fair position and i just saw my credit card charge msg, he charged me 5600 (5800-200) apiece for the tyres.. They are like cheaper than vectra..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
my last set of Acceler lasted just 30K on my SX4, despite the fact that I maintain the balancing and alignment regularly. the OEM JKs laster 40K

Now at 70K I am looking for another replacement :(
2 replacement in 70k..?????.. RKB. Thats sounds a little too much.. Lot of off roading / hard breaking / spirited driving it seems..

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th March 2013 at 13:09. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT / Multi-quote.
Old 10th March 2013, 15:26   #14
BHPian

Even I plan to change the shoes of SX4 VDi, current odo is 41K and the stock Apollo have some more life left but better change than sorry !
Since the spare wheel is unused, I am planning the sell this . Getting 3k for it and 300 each for the other three.

Options welcome thought I like Primacy LC .
Old 12th March 2013, 07:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
Even I plan to change the shoes of SX4 VDi, current odo is 41K and the stock Apollo have some more life left but better change than sorry !
Since the spare wheel is unused, I am planning the sell this . Getting 3k for it and 300 each for the other three.

Options welcome thought I like Primacy LC .
Hey Adi.. Isnt 41k a little too early to change. Any ways i would suggest not to sell the stock spare as the same would be old and you wont get a good price despite the same being in a good / excellent position as it would largely unused. You might as well change the 4 mains and keep the spare as it is. Primacy / Yoko are good tyres but do take a look at Apollo as well.. 3k per tyre is a lot of money to save.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks