Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2011, 19:44   #16
BHPian

re: Chevy Cruze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Give the Yoko's a shot. A lot of consumer complaints for the CPC2 of late. Having said that yokohama prices going up from 14th of this month, so plan your purchase accordingly.
Old 14th May 2011, 18:39   #17
BHPian

Hello,

I've booked a Cruze and I'm getting delivery in 2 days. I'm swapping the alloys with Lenso 16 x 7" ones and need some tyre advice as I dont want to keep a 205 section tyre. Please let me know what best upgrade size is possible on a Cruze on a 16" rim. Also which is the best option in that size with main positives being ride comfort and safety.

Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 02:56   #18
BHPian

Tyres for Cruze

Expecting to receive the delivery of a new Cruze LTZ MT. I see a lot of Cruze owners detesting the OE tyres. I love to drive long distances and will want comfort & low road noise.

The OE size is 205/60R16. Will it be okay to put in 225/55R16? Looking at CPC2, Michelin Primacy LC or Apollo Accelere. Apollo Accelere on our Spark LS has done 46k and still it has another 5k life left in it and I am quite happy with it.

Btw, Michelin India website recommended 215/55R16 which I think will be less filling in the wheel arches and with some reasonable speedo error.

What do you guys recommend? I am not changing the OE rims, which I quite like.

BH.

Last edited by BurningHeart : 10th July 2011 at 02:59.
Old 10th July 2011, 09:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyres for Cruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
Expecting to receive the delivery of a new Cruze LTZ MT. I see a lot of Cruze owners detesting the OE tyres. I love to drive long distances and will want comfort & low road noise.

The OE size is 205/60R16. Will it be okay to put in 225/55R16? Looking at CPC2, Michelin Primacy LC or Apollo Accelere. Apollo Accelere on our Spark LS has done 46k and still it has another 5k life left in it and I am quite happy with it.

Btw, Michelin India website recommended 215/55R16 which I think will be less filling in the wheel arches and with some reasonable speedo error.

What do you guys recommend? I am not changing the OE rims, which I quite like.

BH.
With a 215/55 R16 tyre you have -1.46pct change in circumference, while with a 225/55 R16 tyre you have 0.23pct change in circumference. Both are less than 2pct and hence won't be a serious deterrent as far as speedo error is concerned.

Another factor. You've stated you don't want to change the stock rims. The stock rim size is 6.5J, and ideally 215 is the max upsize you should go for on that size.

IMO stick to 215/55 R16. And please go for Conti, Michelin or Yoko. The Acceleres might have been good on a 63bhp Spark, but on a 150bhp sedan double its weight, you do need better engineered tyres!
predatorwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 15:15   #20
BHPian

Cruze done 10k KM. Tyres question.

Hey.

We bought a Cruze in Jan this year, and me like an idiot, didn't look up about Tyres on Team-BHP before I took delivery. Hence, I'm on the Stock JK Tyres (which squeal a bit too much for my liking)..

Now, I've done almost 10,000 KM on the car and the tyres are still in good condition.
I don't really drive like a maniac (mainly since we bought the AT :P), just about 140-150 on the Sea Link and 160'ish on the Expressway (rarely go on the Expressway anyway).

Is it necessary (safety wise) to change the JK's to the Michelin PP2's or PS2's? or Conti CPC2's? (Been reading up on the other threads about Cruze tyres, but I haven't found a conclusive answer)..

Also, if it is necessary..
1) What tyres to go for?
2) How much would I get back for the Stock set of 5 (Spare Unused *touches wood*)?

Thanks in Advance .

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th October 2011 at 22:58. Reason: Thread exists. Please use search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 30th October 2011, 21:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad1tya
Hey.

We bought a Cruze in Jan this year, and me like an idiot, didn't look up about Tyres on Team-BHP before I took delivery. Hence, I'm on the Stock JK Tyres (which squeal a bit too much for my liking)..

Now, I've done almost 10,000 KM on the car and the tyres are still in good condition.
I don't really drive like a maniac (mainly since we bought the AT :P), just about 140-150 on the Sea Link and 160'ish on the Expressway (rarely go on the Expressway anyway).

Is it necessary (safety wise) to change the JK's to the Michelin PP2's or PS2's? or Conti CPC2's? (Been reading up on the other threads about Cruze tyres, but I haven't found a conclusive answer)..

Also, if it is necessary..
1) What tyres to go for?
2) How much would I get back for the Stock set of 5 (Spare Unused *touches wood*)?

Thanks in Advance .
Anybody? Anyone have an answer? help?
Old 9th November 2011, 15:07   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

None of those tyres are available in the correct size. I think you might get some Yokos or Michelin Primacy LC. I''m not too sure of the pricing but it's best if you check at a tyre shop in Bombay itself.
Old 11th November 2011, 15:52   #23
anb
BHPian

Re: Tyres for Cruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

Another factor. You've stated you don't want to change the stock rims. The stock rim size is 6.5J, and ideally 215 is the max upsize you should go for on that size.
Are you sure that maximum width of the tyre is 215 mm for 6.5J rims? why is that so? In many innova tyre threads it is mentioned that 6.5 inch rims are ideal for 225/60 tyres.Yokohama site says 225 tyres can be fitted with 6-8 inches size rims. In michelin website, the recommended rim size for 225/60 is 6.5 inches and for 225/50 is 7 inches. The minimum rim width required for 225/50 is 6 inches.So I think 225/55 R16 can be fitted in 6.5J rims without any problems.

Last edited by anb : 11th November 2011 at 15:54.
Old 13th November 2011, 16:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad1tya View Post
I avoid JK tyres at all cost, certainly not in a car such as Cruz . IMO , you should look at Michelin's / Yokos / Contis in that order . Since you are in Mumbai , I would highly recommend that you get in touch with Mark at Premji's Tyre Plus at Thane - he is very knowledgeable , patient and stocks all three. Even if you have to drive a bit to reach his shop, you won't regret it.
Old 14th November 2011, 17:35   #25

Aditya,

I recently changed the stock tires of my cruze to Yokohoma dbs 215/55/R16. The difference is stunning. The car looks much better for the change and you feel like you are driving on air. There is no tyre noise, no wobbles and the feel of the steering is spot on.

I got my tyres changed at Mark Premji's at Thane. I strongly recommend him.

Regards,
Old 27th November 2011, 13:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad1tya View Post
Hi Aditya

I changed the stock tyres and alloys of my new cruze last week. The JK Vectras were replaced by Bridgestone 225/45R17. It cost 40K (10 x 4)
You dont need to change all 5 wheels. You can keep the spare tyre as the JK Vectra.

It has really improved the overall suspension and ride quality.
This is especially noticeable to the rear passengers.

Here is a link to my new set of wheels.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rey-beast.html
Old 29th November 2011, 14:07   #27
BHPian

^^ Thanks a lot bro, your post really helped.

Thanks @rajivrao.
Old 16th January 2012, 15:39   #28
BHPian

Chevrolet Cruze- Big Dilemma

Hi all,

My Chevy Cruze has recently completed 10,000 kms and so far i have been satisfied with her performance. My only grouse with her is the stiff suspension which filters lots of sharp ruts inside the cabin and also the ride which is quite noisy and harsh at low speeds. The overall ride quality is above average and i believe majority of these grouses are to be blamed because of the stock JK tyres. These tyres just dont do the justice to the ride quality which the cruze is capable of. Also the ride feels kind of woobly at speeds in excess of 160 kmph.

Thus i have decided to upgrade my tyres and my preference is to achieve a plusher and more settled ride with decent handling as well. I wouldn't want to compromise on the steering feel and the handling but my higher preference would definitely go to a much plusher and smoother ride. I'm looking for tyres which are silent and are capable of negating most of the bumps and shocks experienced on our roads and provide me with a magic carpet kind of an experience.

I'm planning to upgrade 4 tyres and keeping the existing stepney JK tyre as a spare. Also i would like to look at options only in the stock size i.e. 205/60 R16. However i'm open to suggestions as far the size is concerned. My max budget per tyre is 7-9K.

Following are the tyres which i have shortlisted according to my research:

1. Yokohama ES501 (Available in stock size in 'H' rating. Also available in 215/55 R16 in 'V' rating. Is it recommended?)
2. Yokohama AVS V550 (Not available in stock size acc. to Yoko's Indian site. Closest size available is 205/55R16)

Which is the better tyre out of these two yokos in terms of the overall comfort and handling??

3. Michelin Primacy LC/HP (Which one would be better for cruze out of LP & HP? LC is available in stock size whereas HP in not)
4. Continental CPC2 (Available in stock size and quite a fav amongst the t-bhp cruze owners. But is it a comfortable tyre. Will it improve ride quality?)
5. Bridgestone GR80 (Available in stock size. Is it any good in comparison to other tyres? I have heard GR90 is also available?)

Are there any better options apart from these tyres? Kindly help me guys to get out of this dilemma.

My driving style is normal to moderately fast in city roads and fast on the highways. I'm not too keen to challenge the cornering abilities of this car or to push my car to the limits. I'm looking more for a straightline experience. Also most probably i'll be going for the RD dieseltronics box as well along with the tyres upgrade.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ashish22 : 16th January 2012 at 15:45.
Old 17th January 2012, 11:33   #29
BHPian

Any input guys??? Kindly help me out as i need to make the decision very soon. Also it would be great if NCR guys can help me out with some reputed and well known tyres shops.

Thanks.
Old 18th January 2012, 16:47   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
Any input guys??? Kindly help me out as i need to make the decision very soon. Also it would be great if NCR guys can help me out with some reputed and well known tyres shops.

Thanks.
Since you are concerned about ride quality it is better to go for the stock size as lowering the profile will adversely impact the ride.

Your Cruze is a fast car and I think you should get a tyre with a min speed rating of V. Michelin Primacy LC is a premium comfort tyre. You will definitely feel the improvement in the ride. The grip and straight line stability is also very good which I have personally experienced in my Laura TSI (I have 205/55/16s) .

But on the downside these tyres are pretty expensive and delicate . I did not have any problems for 12000 kms and absolutely loved the ride and grip. But after a recent drive through some broken roads , one of the tyres has developed a bulge. I have scheduled an inspection with the local Michelin rep for THursday. I am not hopeful of getting anything other than the standard "you have a hit a pothole pretty hard" reply.

Here's a link to my post on the Michelin thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2643406

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 18th January 2012 at 16:47. Reason: Added link to another post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks