Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2012, 18:36   #61
anb
BHPian

re: Chevy Cruze : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
These are my requirements too.Any suggestions??The handling must improve over stock JK's
Bridgestone Potenza G3 is the ideal tyre for you needs. These tyres offer decent grip,less wear, the sidewall is strong and the tyre is less prone to puncture. It's "H" rated tyre (210 kmph). Cruze really doesn't need a V rated tyre as the car doesn't cross 210 kmph.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 19:53   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb

Bridgestone Potenza G3 is the ideal tyre for you needs. These tyres offer decent grip,less wear, the sidewall is strong and the tyre is less prone to puncture. It's "H" rated tyre (210 kmph). Cruze really doesn't need a V rated tyre as the car doesn't cross 210 kmph.
I heard bridgestones are high noise tyres.Is it true??I would prefer V rated tyres as i touch very high speeds very often

Any feedback on cpc2??Has anybody here used cpc2 after using stock jk s extensively??I am disappointed by the high speed characteristics of stock jk.

Do comfort tyres such as yoko decibel handle better than stock jk??

I am happy with a 30k tyre life.

Thanks please keep em coming

Last edited by KINI : 13th October 2012 at 19:56.
Old 14th October 2012, 15:07   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Grip wise, the Continentals would be better than the JKs. The Yokos too would be better. In my opinion, the Michelin Primacy LC would be fantastic but they are extremely expensive. So, you need to take a call on that.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 22:49   #64

Am using the yoko db series on my cruze and have had them through 26k Km's. They look good for another 10k kms, at least. Ride quality is very good, handling is superb and noise is non existent. Am very happy with the tyres. Highly recommended!

Regards,

Rajiv
rajivrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 22:15   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Grip wise, the Continentals would be better than the JKs. The Yokos too would be better. In my opinion, the Michelin Primacy LC would be fantastic but they are extremely expensive. So, you need to take a call on that.
Thanks a lot Nikhil!I am leaning towards the Yokos.Should I go for the Decibel series or something else??
I also went through the MRF ZLO thread and you seem pretty impressed by them.Are they available for the Cruze??
Are the Continentals and Yokos V rated??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivrao View Post
Am using the yoko db series on my cruze and have had them through 26k Km's. They look good for another 10k kms, at least. Ride quality is very good, handling is superb and noise is non existent. Am very happy with the tyres. Highly recommended!

Regards,

Rajiv
Sir did you switch to Yokos immediately after delivery or did you use the stock JKs for a while??If you have any experience with the stock JKs please compare them with the Yokos.

Regards
Old 16th October 2012, 00:02   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI

Thanks a lot Nikhil!I am leaning towards the Yokos.Should I go for the Decibel series or something else??
I also went through the MRF ZLO thread and you seem pretty impressed by them.Are they available for the Cruze??

Sir did you switch to Yokos immediately after delivery or did you use the stock JKs for a while??If you have any experience with the stock JKs please compare them with the Yokos.

Regards
Yup, I switched to the Yokos immediately after delivery. There were enough horror stories about the stock JK vectras. Even the Chevy showroom guys advised the upgrade.

Regards,
rajivrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 16:13   #67
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Bridgestone's are noisy, but not as much as JK Vectra.ZLO's are not available in 16" size. The only MRF tyre available at stock size is H rated ZV2k . Yokos and Aceleres are H rated. I think CPC2 is V rated.
Stock size V rated tyres are
  • Continental CPC2
  • Goodyear Assurance
  • Primacy LC
  • JK Vectra

Last edited by anb : 17th October 2012 at 16:21.
Old 17th October 2012, 16:43   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Yes, Bridgestone's are noisy, but not as much as JK Vectra.ZLO's are not available in 16" size.
Honestly I didn't find the JKs too noisy.I had zero experience with cars in this segment so I didn't know what to expect!!
Quote:
The only MRF tyre available at stock size is H rated ZV2k . Yokos and Aceleres are H rated.
From the smiley I guess ZV2Ks aren't great.

H rated tyres can go upto 210kmph right?
Quote:
Stock size V rated tyres are
  • Continental CPC2
  • Goodyear Assurance
  • Primacy LC
  • JK Vectra
My first choice were the CPC2s until I saw a long thread where people very pretty disappointed with it.Now I'm confused.

Primary LC's have a soft sidewall right??

What sort of tyres are Goodyear Assurance??Any feedback on them??

Please correct me if I'm wrong but you own a Cruze right??What tyres are you using??When did you change them??Any feedback??

Thanks a lot

Regards
Old 17th October 2012, 19:34   #69
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly I didn't find the JKs too noisy.I had zero experience with cars in this segment so I didn't know what to expect!!

From the smiley I guess ZV2Ks aren't great.

H rated tyres can go upto 210kmph right?

My first choice were the CPC2s until I saw a long thread where people very pretty disappointed with it.Now I'm confused.

Primary LC's have a soft sidewall right??

What sort of tyres are Goodyear Assurance??Any feedback on them??

Please correct me if I'm wrong but you own a Cruze right??What tyres are you using??When did you change them??Any feedback??

Thanks a lot

Regards
My Cruze is running on 4th set of tyres thanks to road conditions and my driving style. I found JKto be most noisy. The JK vectra's worn out at 15K km.

Then Tyres were changed to stock size Apollo Acelere. They ran for 19K. These are very good tyres except for the soft sidewall.

Then to 225/55 R16 Eagle NCT5, which is the next worst tyre after JK Vectra. They completely worn out after 17K Km.

Now my car is running on Goodyear Assurance for last 1000km. I bought them mainly b'cos of the low price (Rs.6800). Tread design is similar to Acelere's. There tyres are so far silent and they have decent grip in wet. I don't expect them to last very much as they are softer than Acelere's.

H is 210 kmph and V is 240 kmph. Sidewalls of Primacy LC are soft. Better avoid that expensive tyre if you are frequently traveling on bad roads.
I am not a fan of CPC2. CPC2's in my friends Laura were worn out within 11K km. Sidewalls of CPC2 and Acelere are also soft.

I still recommend you to buy the grippy Bridgestone Potenza G3 if you worry about the sidewalls and frequently travel on bad roads, else try the Yokohama DNA db ES501. I didn't buy the Potenza last time b'cose it overshoot my small budget.

I think soft sidewall results in less ride noise and Harder sidewalls results in more noise. So make your choice according to the requirements. You might need to compromise at least one of requirements.
Old 21st October 2012, 18:32   #70
Senior - BHPian

anyone have any experience with the Pirelli p7 ?
Old 21st October 2012, 18:58   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are the Continentals and Yokos V rated?
Regards
Decibel series would be quite good. ZLO isnt availabl for the Cruze.

Continentals are V rated. Yokos, I'm not too sure. I think H rated.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 00:02   #72
Senior - BHPian

I have Yoko AVS 550 dB, size being 195/60R15 on one of my cars and these are V rated. I am sure Cruze would wear similar or bigger size, so Yokos in that size should be rated similar or higher.

The only negative with the AVS is that these are unidirectional tires. To work properly these should rotate in only one direction (this is different from the inside/outside patterns). In layman terms tires mounted on one side of the vehicle cannot be simply mounted on to the other side. To do so the tire would have to be taken off the wheel/rim flipped over re-shod and only then can be mounted on the other side. This could be a bother in rare situations and the spare necessarily has to be a bi-directional tire.

Someone was mentioning about the Bridgestone to be noisy tires. With BS it is a mixed bag. Some of their models are noisy but yet others are very silent. I had the RE88 on my Zen when BS had just entered India. These were made in Japan and were a hoot to drive on, silent, grippy and what not. The BS bought after that including the infamous 'Donuts' & the OE S322(I think) on my Type1 OHC, NHC & the Cedia were noisy from the word go.

However I just bought BridgeStone Turanza GR90 in 205/55R16 (rated V) for my TJet+ and what beautiful pieces of rubber these are. Over 2000 kms done including several sustained runs at triple digit speeds over two days which included dodging a leaping buffalo on the J-K expressway and a fair bit of off shoulder driving in dark to get out of traffic jams the tires have turned out to be grippy, very comfortable & silent. Fairly expensive but worth the price I guess.

I have used the MRF ZVTS too again on the Zen. The tires were great to start out but became noisy and lost their grip levels steadily after the initial 8-10 K kms were done and dusted with. Though I have to admit that these tires never lost too much in terms of tread depth and had a decent amount of rubber on them when I eventually threw them away having gotten bored after nearly 44000 kms and more so since they were sliding more often than rolling. Maybe the ZLos are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Decibel series would be quite good.

Continentals are V rated. Yokos, I'm not too sure. I think H rated.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 01:57   #73
BHPian

guys I had a question for you. One of the alloy wheels for my Cruze is lost and I need a replacement, does anyone know what is the cost of the OEM Cruze alloy.

Regards,
Kailash
Old 10th February 2013, 23:32   #74
BHPian

Update... Got new alloy from Chevy for 10400 all n inclusive...
kailashnj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 19:31   #75
BHPian

Guys I upgraded to Yoko's Db series stock size.I have done some 300 kms on them.But I am NOT happy with the grip while switching lanes on the Chennai Bypass.The rear is way too wayward for my comfort and I almost lost control while slowing down from 120 to 100 yesterday evening.Honestly the stock JKs when new were MUCH more confidence inspiring.Braking and cornering has improved otherwise.

My car has done close to 30k kms and running on the original set of brake pads.My previous JK's had uneven wear on the front so I switched them with the rear ones at 23k kms.Tyres were deteriorating at a constant rate since then.Nothing alarming though,until two weeks ago when I had a similar and a much scarier experience.That was when I decided to change tyres.

Could uneven wearing of brake pads be the issue?Now I know the Yokos are more comfort oriented but I was told that handling and grip will be much better than that of the JKs.The new tyres,atleast on appearence seem fine.Need your advice here.This issue has got me really worried.

Last edited by KINI : 6th April 2013 at 19:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks