Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 16:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have a blanket solution for all annoying sounds : Turn the audio volume up . Seriously.

Either that, or:

a) Get new tyres

b) Damping the interiors
I am already following the first solution through ICE.
New tyres,i was thinking of switching to michelin's now a compalint regarding them in above post has made me think again.
b)I will go about damping the front doors,and see if it changes anything,apart from improving SQ of ICE.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:22   #17
BHPian

this noise issue is precisely the reason why I had to avoid the XM1s. Got A-Drives instead. They define "middle of the road". Its like a buddhist tyre.
Even though the road noise in the past 10k kms hasn't been much, I think my next set is going to be the dBs, or some other comfort-specific tyre...
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:49   #18
BHPian

You could reduce road noise by ensuring that all fender-liners are intact and secure.
Also check your wheel bearings; grease them if needed.

Older cars without a suspension sub-frame tend to transmit road noise to the cabin even if the sound dampening is good. Getting a quiter tyre doesn't help in this case.

Try the hankook blackbirds, I found them quite good. This won't eliminate road noise completely, but would help reduce noise.
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

While the issue in ths forum is about tyre noise in the cabin after 25 K Kms.

I have had a different experience with 2 cars which I recently TD's while searchig for a replacement to my Scorpio.

Both SX4 & Linea (appx 10 K Kms on the dial) had considrable tyre noise coming into the cabin, specially in the Linea (Petrol) the sound coming gave the feeling of sitting in an aircraft on the runway with a humming / whistling kind of noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Even I would like to get an answer to this. Im running Michelin XM1+ and its been over 25k kms as of yesterday.

I noticed on my recent highway trip that there was a lot of road noise (mild drumming, humming etc) being transmitted inside the cabin. Not only was it irritating, it also gave me a sense of insecurity as to whether there's some other problem with the car (suspension?)

What's an effective way to reduce/eliminate such noise?
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek99 View Post
Hey Akshay, what's your daily run?

I have heard that in case of low daily runs over a period of time, tyre noise develops.

Really? What's the reason for this? My car hardly runs, she just cools her heels in the Garage.
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:17   #21
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I'm getting tyre noise too in my cabin in my ford ikon. Noticed it since last 1 week. The tyres ahve 20K on them now. I used to do proper rotation, alignment and balancing every 5K kms. Just that I put on 20K in last 6 months
The tyres are tube type - good year tyres. And the noise is audible once I cross 45 kmph. Guess I'll go for alloys and tubeless next time and live with the noise for now. Anyway ICE helps me for now.
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratamondal View Post
What kind of a noise it is? 25K for new tyres is not much at all..is the noise coming from all the tyres? Can you put some more information please e.g., which are the tyres making noise, it is unlikely that four of them will start playing loud music together..
Hi
Mine also started to give this noise after 25k only. I reported to the service advisor and he too told that the JK are giviung such noise. Now I have to bear with this till I change the tyres after 35 or 40ks. Let me know a brand and model tyre for Ritz with out noise.
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:14   #23

Hi Akshay, i had similar problems and i filled my tired with Nitrogen, the change was great, humming noise reduced to quite a level. try it may help you too.

be safe and happy driving
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi
Mine also started to give this noise after 25k only. I reported to the service advisor and he too told that the JK are giviung such noise. Now I have to bear with this till I change the tyres after 35 or 40ks. Let me know a brand and model tyre for Ritz with out noise.
Go for Yoko. If you can afford the Michelin's, look no further.
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Even I would like to get an answer to this. Im running Michelin XM1+ and its been over 25k kms as of yesterday.

I noticed on my recent highway trip that there was a lot of road noise (mild drumming, humming etc) being transmitted inside the cabin. Not only was it irritating, it also gave me a sense of insecurity as to whether there's some other problem with the car (suspension?)

What's an effective way to reduce/eliminate such noise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Tyre noise from XM1's? and i was thinking of going in for them when i change tyres next
which car btw?
Akshay, Nishant talks of XM1+, which are supposed to better than XM1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Some brand of tyres like Michelin and Continental are known to reduce road noise. If the people outside the car are noticing the noise then I doubt the need for damping. A check for the same can do no harm. Get better tyres when it is time and keep on highest recommended PSIs.
Prince, XM1 are a lot noisy and XM1+ has improved in this aspect. For low noise tyres we've Primacy LC from Michelin, Decibel from Yokohama and CPC2 from Continental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have a blanket solution for all annoying sounds : Turn the audio volume up . Seriously.
I Like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I am already following the first solution through ICE.
New tyres,i was thinking of switching to michelin's now a compalint regarding them in above post has made me think again.
b)I will go about damping the front doors,and see if it changes anything,apart from improving SQ of ICE.
Akshay, before spending on ICE do have a look at Michelin Primacy LC, Yokohama Decibel (My personal choice) and Continental CPC2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Yoko has great options, do check them once. A539, a performance based tyre (S.Drive Jr., maybe) offers great grip with low noise levels. My uncle's ANHC with XM1 produces more noise than A539 on my Xing, I hate the prior because of this.
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the Michelin Suggestion. Is there any idea about the price for 185X14 tyre. Do they have variants in Tyres. Please throw some light on it.
Old 4th July 2010, 00:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the Michelin Suggestion. Is there any idea about the price for 185X14 tyre. Do they have variants in Tyres. Please throw some light on it.
Navan, they've a good range of tyres catering to different vehicle segments. You search for the tyre thread for your car and the query shall be answered.
Old 4th July 2010, 01:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bought two sets (4 nos.) of 185/60 R14 XM1+ in the recent past(May'10 & June 1st week). First set @ 3900/- e.a. and the second set @ 4100/- e.a. both times with bill and warranty card and free balancing using stick on weights.

Current quoted price 4620/ e.a. This is in Delhi.
Old 4th July 2010, 02:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:

Really? What's the reason for this? My car hardly runs, she just cools her heels in the Garage.
when you hardly use your car thats the beginning of the end.
the tyre get hardened
suspension becomes rigid
performance and mileage drop these are the problems i experienced in my accent in similar instance

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
While the issue in ths forum is about tyre noise in the cabin after 25 K Kms.

I have had a different experience with 2 cars which I recently TD's while searchig for a replacement to my Scorpio.

Both SX4 & Linea (appx 10 K Kms on the dial) had considrable tyre noise coming into the cabin, specially in the Linea (Petrol) the sound coming gave the feeling of sitting in an aircraft on the runway with a humming / whistling kind of noise.
thats cause they run on good year GT3 they start to scream much earlier say after 2000 - 3000kms i'm having a nightmare with it in my getz the sound is so loud i get down with ear pain.as of now ice is the only remedy as our friends say. my dad's office vista also has GT3 luckily its a diesel and engine takes care of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I'm getting tyre noise too in my cabin in my ford ikon. Noticed it since last 1 week. The tyres ahve 20K on them now. I used to do proper rotation, alignment and balancing every 5K kms. Just that I put on 20K in last 6 months
The tyres are tube type - good year tyres. And the noise is audible once I cross 45 kmph. Guess I'll go for alloys and tubeless next time and live with the noise for now. Anyway ICE helps me for now.
Ford Ikon use to come with Good Year GPS 2 that will sound like wooden tyres no matter how well you maintain it.
Old 4th July 2010, 06:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

uneven wear, feathering and bald patches can cause loud noise. This has a harsh tone while compared to the humming seen in hard compound. Solution replace your tyres. Cross axle tyre rotation may help temporarily.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks