Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2014, 19:00   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: MRF Wanderer All-Terrain (not Sport)

Keep in mind Wanderers are AT tyres, and not HT tyres. I bought it because I need AT tyres for Shiradi ghats and coastal roads. You can't really expect them to perform at very high speeds. They are good until 120kmph, that is not bad for an AT tyre.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 19:21   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, if you drive like a family man, MRFs will be fine I think.
BTW, I am curious about Duster tyres - what's the OEM size? Is it 215/65R16 (same as Tucson)? If so, when it's time to change tyres, I would highly recommend switching to 235/60R16. They have made massive improvements to the way Tucson drives.

Note: I was replying to Ampere. I just saw Samurai's post. Yes, Wanderers are AT tyres, not to be driven fast.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 25th March 2014 at 19:23.
Old 25th March 2014, 19:36   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
If those 15k of saving will keep you happy over next 4 years, 40,000km, then go for it :-) But you will have to drive slowly :-)
Thank you for the feedback. I did not buy the Yeti to go slow and steady, so I doubt if 15k of savings will keep me happy.

Back to Michelin Tour HP.
Old 25th March 2014, 19:38   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Thank you for the feedback. I did not buy the Yeti to go slow and steady, so I doubt if 15k of savings will keep me happy.

Back to Michelin Tour HP.
If you are on 215/65R16, please please please go for 235/60R16.
Trust me, you won't regret it.
Old 25th March 2014, 19:40   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, if you drive like a family man, MRFs will be fine I think.
Only family man? Not Others ?

Quote:
BTW, I am curious about Duster tyres - what's the OEM size? Is it 215/65R16 (same as Tucson)? If so, when it's time to change tyres, I would highly recommend switching to 235/60R16. They have made massive improvements to the way Tucson drives.
Jokes apart. Yes Duster OEM spec is 215/65 R16. The current specced tyres have a tendency to splash on the side. So was not sure if would make sense to upgrade. Of course it would give you better grip. But still I am sticking to stock.
Old 25th March 2014, 19:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are on 215/65R16, please please please go for 235/60R16.
Trust me, you won't regret it.
215 is good enough on the vehicle - does well on the highway, good enough on slush and uneven surfaces where only two tyres retain contact.

Its not that I don't believe you - I can't trust Skoda to honour my warranty.

Last edited by Steeroid : 25th March 2014 at 20:18.
Old 25th March 2014, 20:54   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
215 is good enough on the vehicle - does well on the highway, good enough on slush and uneven surfaces where only two tyres retain contact.

Its not that I don't believe you - I can't trust Skoda to honour my warranty.
Skoda warranty! Oh yes, of course :-)

I am lucky that Tucson is made by Hyundai and owner manual specifies two OEM tyre choices to select from" 215/65R16 and 235/60R16" with 235 as the "recommended".

I think the Laura owner manual also specifies multiple OEM tyre sizes, I wonder why they enforced only one size for yeti.
Old 25th March 2014, 22:11   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the Laura owner manual also specifies multiple OEM tyre sizes, I wonder why they enforced only one size for yeti.
The Yeti comes with 17" wheels abroad. No reason why one shouldn't experiment with tyre choices (other than SAIPL), but I'm beyond the stage where I used to upgrade for the sake of it - its a perfect little package as it is, so there's no real need to try and 'better' it.
Old 25th March 2014, 22:44   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The current specced tyres have a tendency to splash on the side. So was not sure if would make sense to upgrade.
I did not understand this part.

Quote:
I'm beyond the stage where I used to upgrade for the sake of it - its a perfect little package as it is, so there's no real need to try and 'better' it.
Let's take it to ghats. You drive your Yeti and my Tuc back to back.
Just did a quick trip to Ratnagiri (my first with 235's), there are many ghat sections where Tuc used to squeal and slide (even in "family mode") with the 215's. Absolutely no drama at all this time
Old 25th March 2014, 22:53   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did not understand this part.
If you drive Duster over slush the tyre tends to splash it on to the sides. Maybe a design flaw with the Duster (?). So I think if you widen the tyre, ths effect may get accentuated. It may be a very minor detail compared to what you may gain, I am not sure.
Old 26th March 2014, 13:15   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let's take it to ghats. You drive your Yeti and my Tuc back to back.
Thanks, but I will take your word for it. Good to know that you're happy with your vehicle, which is a great feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you drive Duster over slush the tyre tends to splash it on to the sides. Maybe a design flaw with the Duster (?).
Happens with most SUVs.
Old 28th March 2014, 17:58   #57
BHPian

I just went ahead and fitted Wanderer 215, 65, 16 on my yeti. Will be driving to lucknow tonight. Ride height has definitely increased specially after 215, 60, 16 worn tyres
Old 29th March 2014, 16:03   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Some feedback on the MRF Wanderers from long-term users, please? I need a tyre change for the Yeti, and the price difference between the Wanderers and the Michelin AT is too large to dismiss - I could save a good Rs.12-15k+ for all 4 tyres.

Need grip, and a silent ride - I do a lot of high-speed runs so high-speed manners are definitely on top of my list. Very happy with the Michelins, except that they turned bald at about 24k kms, and spending almost Rs.50k on tyres every 25k kms does not make sense.
My 215-75-R15 Wanderers have done 3000 km till now. Seems to be tough guys. On highways, i rarely go above 110. Sober driver. No late braking, screeching halts, squealing turns, no such bad manners. Otherwise i'm doing city runs and pot-holed, un-tarred, undulating by-lanes of Bangalore.

About noise, i can't comment. Coz' i drive a Bolero.

-- Torqy
Old 29th March 2014, 23:35   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I just went ahead and fitted Wanderer 215, 65, 16 on my yeti. Will be driving to lucknow tonight. Ride height has definitely increased specially after 215, 60, 16 worn tyres
Kindly update when you've done a couple of good runs.
Old 30th March 2014, 19:51   #60
BHPian

Quick Update: After the wheel change there are many things which seems to go wrong for me, so this may not be correct feedback for the tyre, howsoever.
1. After the tyre change the balancing and alignment went haywire, so it scary driving at a speed over 100.
2. Got the balancing and alignment done at local shop in Lucknow, this helped a little but didn't completely fix it. now driving over 120 was not confident inspiring
3. Today got the alignment and balancing done at skoda, couldn't really got a chance to drive over 120, but at the single instance of less than 5 sec when i was over 120, the car seemed to bubble, so it seems the balancing issue is still there. however it seem lot more stable.

While at skoda, told by worker that 3 wheels have bent alloy rim specially from inside. i remember my trip to chattisgarh where i went over a really bad pothole which even resulted in one of my headlight broken. It seems that resulted in bent rim. but i really don't know whether that should result in wobble at high speed or it's the tyre which is s problem or still the wheel balancing is not done properly. because after that incident in Chattisgarh, i had driven more than 2000 kms on old set of tyres and was easily able to take car at speed excess to 140. It's only after the new tyres, i am facing all these trouble. and since i always had my wheel balanced and aligned from skoda i did the same finally. So if someone can help me understand my options that will be great.

Coming back to Wanderer tyres:
1. They seems to have softened the ride, i think it because of high profile tyre 65 against 60. It helped to glide over bad patches very effectively.
2. Steering seems to be more responsive, i think partly because of new tyres and partly because they seems more of road tyres compared to HT tyres which i earlier had.
3. High speed cornering is not good compared to previous tyre (yoko geolander 051)
4. high speed stablility is not good compared to previous tyre. Again there are many factors resulting to this, and i really can't say at this point whether it's the tyre, or the higher profile, or alignment and balancing issue

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks