Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2015, 10:27   #76
BHPian

Re: MRF Wanderer All-Terrain (not Sport)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
This is what i think of MRF Wanderers from personal experience.
Attachment 1353644
A sidewall puncture? How old (kms/years) are these tyres?
Old 10th June 2015, 12:11   #77
BHPian

Hi,

I have a Xylo E9 with Bridgestone Dueler A/T having done 40K kms. I am going to Spiti this month and hence need new set of rubber. I am not confident of the current tread on my tires in the hilly terrain and hence looking for change otherwise my current tires can be good for another 15k kms.
I have currently shortlisted Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA 215/75 R15 tire. I am not considering Yokos owing to weak side walls though some members may have got good experience of using them even in hilly region. Spoke to a dealer who said BS-D are not of good quality nowadays and Yokos owing to they being prone to side wall damages suggested me to go with GY Wranglers. I saw the Yokos and Wranglers side by side and could easily make out the thickness of the side walls in one instance.

Back of my mind, I also have MRF Wanderers being AT tires. Have gone through the blog here and hence want to know which should I consider better. MRF or GY. I am not in much favor of Miclelins either. It just seems to be trend nowadays to have Yokos or Michelins as an up market feel. I may be wrong as well.

I have seen many scorpios with the wanderers and they come as OEM for Duster. Help me clear the air.

Regards,
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:47   #78
BHPian

I am about to replace the stock Bridgestone Duellers on my Storme with new tyres. After having gone through the entire set of options, I am now slowly moving down the chain and seem to have got the MRF Wanderer A/T, the Apollo Apterra A/T and the Good Year Wrangler A/T as choices. If not these, then my choice is Continental Cross A/T. I am not interested in Michelins, Yokos or other such. I have been offered Wanderers at 6200/- per tyre.
Looking at the posts here, the Wanderer seems to be a good, hard wearing option, which can tackle fairly bad roads with ease. What I want to know is if there is anything else in the similar price range that is as good or better. BTW, the Contis are coming at 7800/- per tyre, so that's quite tempting too.
Old 2nd November 2015, 17:31   #79
BHPian

I am currently using Apollo Hawkz/AT R16 stock tyres on my Scorpio. Have done 50K Kms in the last 3.5 years. Though there is no visible wear n tear, still I suppose its time to replace the tyres, as I will be planning some hill trips in 2016. I have shortlisted Continental Cross/ MRF Wanderer AT. Need a feedback on which one to go for.
Old 23rd December 2015, 10:25   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI_77 View Post
I am currently using Apollo Hawkz/AT R16 stock tyres on my Scorpio. Have done 50K Kms in the last 3.5 years. Though there is no visible wear n tear, still I suppose its time to replace the tyres, as I will be planning some hill trips in 2016. I have shortlisted Continental Cross/ MRF Wanderer AT. Need a feedback on which one to go for.
I have them (Wanderer AT) on my Scorpio, got them as OE. So far, they have been good and I don't have any reason to complain. I have been to some offbeat places which have practically no roads but just mud and rocks. These didn't give up or anything. Yes, I am a bit careful in saving in sidewall hits but that's about it. Grip levels offered are decent. No experience with Contis, though I know they were highly recommended by tsk1979.
Old 2nd April 2017, 22:32   #81
BHPian

maybe I missed updating this thread!
Do refer : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3985365

these days driving has lessened, current ODO is ~171000 KMs, which means 2 x MRF-W (front) have done about 16K KMs, doing well.
Old 8th April 2018, 11:46   #82
BHPian

So my Duster’s up for a change of tyres. I am quite happy with the Wanderers that it came with. How do they fare compared to the Yokohamas?
Old 6th May 2018, 22:39   #83
BANNED

Dear friends,

One of by BS Duelers on my 2012 ARIA Pure gave way (was the spare tyre) and has a crack on the tread section with a slight bulge of tyre. This one was relegated to the spare position after two sidewall punctures. On checking nitrogen pressure during last weekend, came to know that pressure held was 9 psi ! During the recent annual service at Concorde, Mathura Road, I had wanted to rotate this tyre, but the technicians advised against it as they said that it had dismal air holding properties, it could be pressed by hand inside !

Was not sure, but now I required a change as I was without a spare, running a 2 ton car with tyres that have done 52K kms, manufactured in 34th wk of 2011. Did a survey online and local tyre dealers, and lots of help and advice from t-bhp.

Finally replaced two duelers with MRF Wanderer ATs today from Mahavir tyres, Basement, Palika Place, New Delhi for Rs 6000/- each. Rs 200/- for the two old BS carcasses, making it 11800/- (and a 50/- tip for the fitting chaps). Alternates available were Dueler D689 for Rs 6800/-, Geolander for 7500/- and Michelim LTX Force for 8300/-. The decision was ultimately tilted in MRFs favour for two reasons:
1. Wanted a different brand
2. Cheaper by Rs 800/- per tyre.

The tread pattern is absolute brute-ish, square pattern and looks (probably is) wider than the Dueler tread. Tyres are fairly new, manufactured 05th wk of 2018 (05 18) embossed on the tyre. Moreover, the cost included balancing of tyres, fitment and payment with credit card with a printed bill from Tally !

The tyre shop owner advised the following:
1. Inflate to 38 psi always, in all weather conditions. Will give better rolling and therefore, better fuel efficiency.
2. DO NOT check air pressure very frequently, check only when visually seems low and needs a refill. Chances of nozzle damage are drastically reduced.
3. Air or N2 does not matter, tyres are made of silica material, so tyres running cooler with nitrogen is a myth.

Can the tyre gurus please give their opinion on this man's opinion ? He was confident to the core with his viwes, says I have been selling and seeing tyres since 30+ years now !
Old 8th May 2018, 20:26   #84
BANNED

Posting some photos of the new wanderers. The better of the duelers continue serving at the rear and the spare. Not bad, considering 6 years old and done 52k kms.
Attached Thumbnails
MRF Wanderer All-Terrain (not Sport)-1525791116083.jpg  

MRF Wanderer All-Terrain (not Sport)-1525791138140.jpg  

MRF Wanderer All-Terrain (not Sport)-1525791207193.jpg  

MRF Wanderer All-Terrain (not Sport)-1525791328174.jpg  

MRF Wanderer All-Terrain (not Sport)-1525791357534.jpg  

MRF Wanderer All-Terrain (not Sport)-1525791399505.jpg  

Old 30th May 2018, 22:16   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
I am about to replace the stock Bridgestone Duellers on my Storme with new tyres.
Sasi - which ones did you go for finally ? How are the tyres ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
1. Inflate to 38 psi always, in all weather conditions. Will give better rolling and therefore, better fuel efficiency.
2. DO NOT check air pressure very frequently, check only when visually seems low and needs a refill. Chances of nozzle damage are drastically reduced.
I would not go with these points.

1. Pressure - as per manufacturer recommendation.
2. Check air pressure regularly. Once in 2 weeks is fair. And reduction in pressure can cause drag, and some extra wear also. In the event the nozzles are damaged, they can always be replaced.

Do share your feedback on the tyres as you use them. I will soon reach the point of replacing the tyres on my Storme.
Old 1st June 2018, 10:17   #86
BHPian

Quote:

Finally replaced two duelers with MRF Wanderer ATs today from Mahavir tyres, Basement, Palika Place, New Delhi for Rs 6000/- each. Rs 200/- for the two old BS carcasses, making it 11800/- (and a 50/- tip for the fitting chaps). Alternates available were Dueler D689 for Rs 6800/-, Geolander for 7500/- and Michelim LTX Force for 8300/-. The decision was ultimately tilted in MRFs favour for two reasons:
1. Wanted a different brand
2. Cheaper by Rs 800/- per tyre.

The tread pattern is absolute brute-ish, square pattern and looks (probably is) wider than the Dueler tread. Tyres are fairly new, manufactured 05th wk of 2018 (05 18) embossed on the tyre. Moreover, the cost included balancing of tyres, fitment and payment with credit card with a printed bill from Tally !
Wow, the prices mentioned are too good. Don't know why but in Mumbai prices are at least 50% higher than what you've quoted. I'm looking out for 235/65/17 in Mumbai and the quotes I got was not at all comparable with your quotes. Can some one advice of these prices are available in Mumbai also?
Old 17th October 2018, 19:47   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sasi - which ones did you go for finally ? How are the tyres ? I would not go with these points.

1. Pressure - as per manufacturer recommendation.
2. Check air pressure regularly. Once in 2 weeks is fair. And reduction in pressure can cause drag, and some extra wear also. In the event the nozzles are damaged, they can always be replaced.

Do share your feedback on the tyres as you use them. I will soon reach the point of replacing the tyres on my Storme.

Hi condor,

The Wanderers are just ecstasy ! The steering feels smoother and better cushioned. Air pressure upto 38/40 psi does indeed help in reducing rolling resistance and easier turns at low speeds in the ARIA. The Duelers are showing signs of aeging now. The rear right had three miniscule leaks in between the treads on the centre, which was surprising to the punture fellow as well. No nails, no pricks, nothing to show external damage / piercing. Can this be due to rubber / material failure ? The one on the rear left is fine, though. The nozzle too was leaking, the nozzle was purchased from the tyre shop when I bought the Wanderers, as the nozzles available with the local puncture chaps are of dubious quality and cost a bomb ! Still have one more nozzle as spare, hope I dont need it soon !

These tryes are strongly recommended for the storme. Adds character to the already butch vehicle.
Old 18th October 2018, 03:11   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Wanderers are just ecstasy ! The steering feels smoother and better cushioned. Air pressure upto 38/40 psi does indeed help in reducing rolling resistance and easier turns at low speeds in the ARIA.
Nice ! New tyres do feel good to drive on.

The new tyres have a coating that will & needs to wear off before you get the actual grip. Till then the tyres will feel slick.

What is the recommended pressure ? Over-inflating will cause excess wear @ centre of tyre.
Old 18th October 2018, 17:27   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Nice ! New tyres do feel good to drive on.

What is the recommended pressure ? Over-inflating will cause excess wear @ centre of tyre.
Recommended pressure is 32 / 34 / 36 psi depending on load carried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Wow, the prices mentioned are too good. Don't know why but in Mumbai prices are at least 50% higher than what you've quoted. I'm looking out for 235/65/17 in Mumbai and the quotes I got was not at all comparable with your quotes. Can some one advice of these prices are available in Mumbai also?
Hey Saurabh,

My tyres are 16 inch whereas you are looking for 17 inch ones. There is a big cost difference in these two sizes. If you want 18 or 19 inchers, they cost a fortune !

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th October 2018 at 21:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks