Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2012, 10:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

what width is the Mitsubishi Lancer LXi/LXD steel wheel rim ? 5j or 5.5 ? Maybe that suits the i10 better for such application.
Old 14th November 2012, 23:57   #17
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn
Our ZXi is running the stock 155/80 13. Can I mount 175/70 13 on the stock rims?

The outer diameter is the same. I worried about the width of the steel rims. Car Bibles say 175 can be mounted on 5J to 6.5J. Is the A-star stock rim 5J?

Not looking for alloys at the moment.
Car Bible happens to err on the side of caution by half-an-inch. The A-Star's stock rims are 4.5Jx13, which are safe for mounting 175/70R13 tyres according to tyre manufacturers. So you can go ahead and safely fit 175/70R13 tyres on your stock rims without any concerns.

The i10 comes with 4.0Bx13 stock rims and hence it is not recommended to fit 175/70R13 tyres on the i10's stock rims. For more info, please refer to this link:

http://www.michelin.in/tyre/viewall/525

Last edited by RSR : 15th November 2012 at 00:09.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 18:37   #18

ASTAR AT - Upsizing and Alloys

Hey all,

I recently bought an A* AT and want to upsize from the 155/80/r13 which it comes with. Does anyone know the correct Offset Value of Maruti Astar Stock rims?? Ive tried to enquire with everyone about this but to vain. Nobody from the service centers seem to know about this value.

Im planning on 14 inchers from saimag wheels which is 6J and has an offset of +38 ...

Tyre options are
1. 175/65/r14
2. 165/65/r14
3. 165/70/r14.

Im concerned if 175 on r14 would have proximity issues.. So, waiting for your valuable inputs.
MODS: If this thread already exists; please merge it.
Old 19th January 2013, 19:20   #19
BANNED

Re: ASTAR AT - Upsizing and Alloys

IIrc the stock offset is 38. And with 175 section tyres you will most likely not face any rubbing issues with near to stock offset. My Astar had 185/70/13 on Neo alloy wheels and with that i faced some rubbing issue at the rear right wheel well. Although i had 185 section tyres i will not recommend 185 for AStar, 175 is more than enough and is appropriate.
Old 19th January 2013, 22:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
IIrc the stock offset is 38. And with 175 section tyres you will most likely not face any rubbing issues with near to stock offset. My Astar had 185/70/13 on Neo alloy wheels and with that i faced some rubbing issue at the rear right wheel well. Although i had 185 section tyres i will not recommend 185 for AStar, 175 is more than enough and is appropriate.
Thanks Bro.. 185 would have made your ride more planted.. Did your car steering tighten up post your upgrade?
Old 20th January 2013, 08:34   #21
BANNED

Yes it sure did feel planted and the Potenza GIII performed great. The steering did become a bit heavier.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 15:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The i10 comes with 4.0Bx13 stock rims and hence it is not recommended to fit 175/70R13 tyres on the i10's stock rims. For more info, please refer to this link:

http://www.michelin.in/tyre/viewall/525
The link mentions minimum rim width for 185/70R14 as 4.5" while it is 5" for 185/65R14. I was under the impression that the tyre width and the rim width were directly related but it seems the side profile also plays a role. Michelin site seems to increase minimum width by 0.5" if side profile is less than 70. Is it because taller profiles can flex more and hence fit into a narrower rim?

Tyre gurus,
Would be good to know how the side profile influence the tyre width-rim width mapping.
Old 24th January 2013, 09:25   #23
BHPian

I purchased an A-Star Automatic around 4 months ago. The car came with stock CEAT 'Milaze' tyres (God knows, never heard of them before). But like all Indian tyres, they are quite tough. The problem is, driving in Bangalore, they are noisy as hell (esp on Bangalore's less than perfect roads), and sticking to the manufacturer recommended 32psi makes the car bounce over potholes and speedhumps (reducing it to 30 psi did not help much).

So the questions is, it is worth changing the tyres to make a difference to the Ride and Noise levels. The car has only done 500kms.

Going by the feedback on the forums, I have shortlisted the XM2 and Acelere's both in stock 155/80 R13 size, as I do not wish to void the warranty. Will be sticking to the steel rims.

Which ones would be recommended. I do not want to spend too much. On changemytyre.com, both were within Rs 10 of each other. I would most likely be getting the change done at Sai Ieyngar Tyres Indiranagar, as it only a couple of kilometers from my house.

I would only want to change 4 tyres and keep the new CEAT spare. Is that ok or should I replace all five.
Old 24th January 2013, 10:03   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
I purchased an A-Star Automatic around 4 months ago. The car came with stock CEAT 'Milaze' tyres (God knows, never heard of them before). But like all Indian tyres, they are quite tough. The problem is, driving in Bangalore, they are noisy as hell (esp on Bangalore's less than perfect roads), and sticking to the manufacturer recommended 32psi makes the car bounce over potholes and speedhumps (reducing it to 30 psi did not help much).

So the questions is, it is worth changing the tyres to make a difference to the Ride and Noise levels. The car has only done 500kms.
Based on the tyre prices at changemytyre these Ceat Milaze are the cheapest tyres of the lot costing 2.7k each. Earlier the Astar used to come with JK Vectra even those tyres are more costly than these Milaze tyres.

The XM2 will give a better ride compared to what you have and if the tyre prices don't vary much between the XM2 and the Accelere i would suggest you to buy the XM2.
Old 24th January 2013, 10:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
I purchased an A-Star Automatic around 4 months ago. The car came with stock CEAT 'Milaze' tyres (God knows, never heard of them before). But like all Indian tyres, they are quite tough.

Going by the feedback on the forums, I have shortlisted the XM2 and Acelere's both in stock 155/80 R13 size, as I do not wish to void the warranty. Will be sticking to the steel rims.

Which ones would be recommended. I do not want to spend too much.
I would only want to change 4 tyres and keep the new CEAT spare. Is that ok or should I replace all five.
CEAT "Milaze"? Sounds like a tyre built specifically for cabs. Why is it fitted on an A-Star?

Please change it. Any decent tyre (Acelere, XM2, Yoko A-drive, Bridgestone Potenza, etc) you now fit on your car will amaze you with their ride comfort, silence, grip, etc etc. They are miles better than whatever rubbish rubber adorns your tyres currently.

I think it is a good idea to stick to stock size with the A-Star. The wheel arches are not designed for wider tyres. And keeping the cabbie tyre for a spare is OK.
Old 24th January 2013, 10:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Sounds like a tyre built specifically for cabs.
Just curious, what are the areas that they focus/compromise for the tyres built specifically for cabs?
Old 24th January 2013, 10:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
CEAT "Milaze"? Sounds like a tyre built specifically for cabs. Why is it fitted on an A-Star?

Please change it. Any decent tyre (Acelere, XM2, Yoko A-drive, Bridgestone Potenza, etc) you now fit on your car will amaze you with their ride comfort, silence, grip, etc etc. They are miles better than whatever rubbish rubber adorns your tyres currently.

I think it is a good idea to stick to stock size with the A-Star. The wheel arches are not designed for wider tyres. And keeping the cabbie tyre for a spare is OK.
One more BHPians A-Star Auto came with Milaze's (see Pic 8):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...automatic.html

I also did not check the tyre type, as I was so excited just to get delivery of the car. Between Yoko A1's, Acelere and XM2's, which would be the best compromise on longevity/durability, comfort and noise?
Old 24th January 2013, 12:01   #28
BANNED

Quote:
I think it is a good idea to stick to stock size with the A-Star. The wheel arches are not designed for wider tyres.
175/70/13 section tyre will fit well within the wheel arches without any fouling, and so will a 185/70/13 tyre if mounted on an alloy with stock offset.
Old 28th January 2013, 02:42   #29
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

The link mentions minimum rim width for 185/70R14 as 4.5" while it is 5" for 185/65R14. I was under the impression that the tyre width and the rim width were directly related but it seems the side profile also plays a role. Michelin site seems to increase minimum width by 0.5" if side profile is less than 70. Is it because taller profiles can flex more and hence fit into a narrower rim?

Tyre gurus,
Would be good to know how the side profile influence the tyre width-rim width mapping.
You're correct regarding the profile affecting the wheel width, zenren. The tyre width, profile and diameter all play a role in determining an acceptable wheel width.

While I'm not a tyre guru and cannot explain the physics behind this, surely a low profile tyre would have less flexible sidewalls than a higher profile tyre of the same width (other things being equal). Therefore, while 185/70R14 tyres fitted on 4.5" wide rims would have enough flex to maintain a flat contact patch on the road; 185/65R14 tyres, with their shorter and less flexible sidewalls, would probably create a less-than-ideal contact patch, creating unnecessary stresses on the tyre and would require the next size as minimum i.e. 5.0". Since these are supposed to be the "safe recommended limits", any manufacturer worth their salt would always prefer to recommended the safe option when it comes to close calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Just curious, what are the areas that they focus/compromise for the tyres built specifically for cabs?
I think most cabbies would prefer these attributes in their tyres - long-lasting (in terms of km), better resistance to punctures, ability to withstand abuse (bad roads & careless driving), less expensive to buy/replace etc. while things like grip, braking performance and noise would come lower down their priority list. Harder compound tyres tend to meet these requirements better. Cabbies love companies like MRF which are known to produce relatively hard compound tyres which last long on the worst of Indian roads, though they may be somewhat noisy and less grippy.

Most private buyers in the replacement market, on the other hand, primarily want great grip, braking performance, low noise, comfortable ride etc. while willing to compromise a bit on other attributes and look for brands and patterns which offer these. These tend to be softer compound tyres and cost more because of better technology (e.g. silica compound), a more sophisticated tread design etc.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 07:56   #30
BHPian

Just an update on the replacement for the stock Ceat Milaze's (also updated on the XM2 thread).

Replaced the stock Ceat 'Milaze' 155/80 R13's on my A-Star Automatic with XM2s (same stock size).

First impressions:
1. Less noisy than the stock Milaze's. Road noise is reduced by around 20%.
2. The claim about low rolling resistance seems to be true. The acceleration is smoother and the car coasts more easily.
3. Biggest improvement is the ride quality. With the stock CEAT's the car would crash through even the minor potholes and road ruts. Granted, the tyres do not make the A-Star turn into a Punto for ride comfort, but going over potholes is now less jarring.

All in all, a worthwhile upgrade.
avi550m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed