Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 11:18   #31
BHPian

205 Overkill???

So do you think 205/55/15 is an overkill azeemhafiz? Hmmm, well if that is so, then I guess I am at the wrong side of the spectrum. But again, I have read other members who have said that 195/60/15 or 205/55/15 is fine. But as personal experience goes, I have found the steering quite hard and the acceleration has dropped considerably. This comparo is vis-a-vis the stock tires. Only thing I wish to know is whether I should stick to these tires or change ASAP to 195/60/15. I don't want to risk damaging my suspension and end up paying for it. Kindly clarify friends.

Also, on another front, does the tread pattern of a tire matter significantly. I mean I have seen Conti tires which aren't exactly cool but so very ordinary. On the contrary I have friends who swear by them. Falken's tread pattern is so cool, but there is not much to write home about the brand. If the Gurus could clarify on this, it would be very helpful.

Thanks
Champion
Old 8th September 2010, 10:04   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
I Upsized my OHC from 175/70R13 [I think this is what the stock size is] to 205/50R15 & got stiffer suspension.

I do tramline quite a bit, but the added traction is worth it.
The ideal upgrade for an OHC is 195. 205 is overkill. I know because that's the size I used for my Vtec as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
Cost cutting on some of the Indian cars are visible on their tyres.
Not just cost cutting, thinner tyres also result in higher FE. This greatly helps in enhancing the model's reputation in the market. Fatter tyres can kill a hatchbacks city kpl by as much as 1 kpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
Also, on another front, does the tread pattern of a tire matter significantly.
Of course it does! Not so much the aesthetics (though some tyre makers try to make their product look cool) as it is for grip levels on slippery surface (e.g. monsoon blasted roads). Read up this article for more info.
Old 13th September 2010, 11:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What about when someone upsizes and gets really low profile tyres for a regular commuter? Say, a Toyota Altis?

Not upgraded yet. A 101.25 mm sidewall (of the 225/45 R17) ain't too bad, though 205 / 215 on 16 inch wheels would give a better ride. What is a strict no-no for the Civic is 18 / 19 inchers (which is the point of this thread).
My guess is that the harsher contact also means faster wear . My Sis and her husband own a Toyota Camry and Honda Civic in the US. they are the types that hardly look down to see what shoes their car is wearing and have continued with the tires their cars came fitted with.

Camry is 205/65R15 BF Goodrich touring
Civic is 205/55R16 Bridgestone Turanza.

Last week I was in the US and had a chance to sample both the rides extensively. In my driving Civic made approx double the road noise compared to Camry on on concrete freeways and I could feel every expansion joint on the road, esp if driving. Part of it is definitely suspension and insulation but the low profile tires played their role too.

The road grip is very similar and if anything, the Camry is a bit better with higher profile and similar width tires!

Both the tires have done approx 28k Miles each and while the Turanzas are on their last leg , the Goodrichs seem like they will go on another 30k miles.

We know that both Turanza's and Goodrich Touring are high mileage tires - what makes the Goodrich's last nearly double the distance while lugging a heavier and more powerful vehicle??

Apart from the driving styles (BIL is more aggressive and uses the Civic more), I guess the profile and overall suspension geometry has got something to do with it. The lower the profile, the harsher the tread contact and hence the wearout rate!! Sometimes the upsize is simply not worth it.

I have never ventured below 60 profile in my upgrades :

Baleno : 165/80R13 -> 185/65R14
Santro : 155/70R13 -> 165/65R13
Innova : 205/65R15 -> 225/60R15

Last edited by Buffetfan : 13th September 2010 at 12:00.
Old 15th September 2010, 16:36   #34
gou
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
I Upsized my OHC from 175/70R13 [I think this is what the stock size is] to 205/50R15 & got stiffer suspension.

I do tramline quite a bit, but the added traction is worth it.

I upsized to 205/50 rather than 195/50 because they looked cooler & they were like some 4 - 5 hundred bucks more expensive than the 195's.
Quote:
The ideal upgrade for an OHC is 195. 205 is overkill. I know because that's the size I used for my Vtec as well.
My earlier used Santro was fitted with 175/70 R13 by previous owner (same size as stock OHC). Everytime I would take a full turn I could feel the tyres making some sound. It also had to get some work done in suspension - may be because of the same reason.

I am planning a tyre upgrade my OHC AT (2002 model) a few months down the line. Now while upgrading the OHC tyres I don't want to have the same problems. I am not planning to change the suspensions. I was also looking at getting a overall bigger diameter tyre so that the ground clearance would increase, but after reading this thread I am not sure whether that would be a good idea. Will the added diameter cause suspension or any other problem? If not, then I would go for a tyre which has bigger diameter.

So should I stick with 185/60R14 or 195/50R15 - almost same diameter as stock? Or should I go for 185/65R14 or 195/55R15 which has bigger diameter - increase of 0.8 inch (marginally increasing the ground clearance)? Or something else in between like 185/55R15 - increase of 0.4 inch in diameter? I don't want to lose on comfortable ride and would like a balance of comfort and grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNK View Post
I "changed" my OHC 1.5 's tires from stock to 175/65/15. Which I suppose is the stock tire size of the ANHC (?). I'm an enthusiastic driver although performance is not "all" I look for in the Bangalore traffic, so grip n high speed handling is not that important to me.

How different would it be, as far as the driving experience is concerned, say if I'd gone for 195 on the same 15inch rims?

Is it right to call my "change" an upgrade?

LNK
@LNK when did you change/upgrade your tyres? Are you happy with it? Was there any problem in suspension or any other part after that? What I can see is there is an increase of 1.4 inches in the overall diameter. Doesn't it hamper with the suspension?
Old 24th September 2010, 00:06   #35
BHPian

Any thoughts or opinions on a Verna 1.6 Petrol running 205/55 R15 from the stock 175/70 R14?

Now the stock size has been changed to 185 from the original 175 on the Verna by the company itself.
Old 24th September 2010, 12:10   #36
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Will be posting the below details on Laura Tyres thread as well, posting here as it may be relavent here too.

Skoda Laura
Standard Stock Size - 205/55/R16

0-44K kms - Michelin MXV8 - Upsized to 205/60/R16- Good Fuel Economy - Decent comfort - Good Life - Not Sporty, Expensive

44k-78K - Yokohama S-Drive - Stock Size 205/55/R16 - Best Looks, Average Comfort - Decent Life for Sporty tyres - Fun to Drive - Good Value for Money.

78K on wards - 225/55/R16 - Beyond the recommended upsize size of 225/50/R16 - Very High on comfort - Good Grip - Too early to tell on fuel economy - Very quite - Decent Value (better than michiline) but not cheap - Average looks - but super wide size for a Laura with high profile as well - size used in E-Class, A6 as Stock.

The key point here is that I had always wanted a wide profile and though I loved the S-Drives they were too harsh for my back, and this time I wished to go for something with more comfort without dropping too much on sportyness, and this was possible only by sticking to profile with increase in width.

I got the dealer to agree to let me try out with one of these tyres in the front and then later with the same tyre in the back (with a passenger)- a short 2 km drive over potholed roads with many speed breakers, and on finding that the body did not touch in all these cases, went on to have all 4 changed. The Deal was that if they touched the body then I would go for 215/55/R16 - a size that Skoda and Yokohama both recommend but which did not satisfy me.

There is a risk in going in for a Larger tyre (high width and high profile) but if select premium cars with decent power it can make sense.
Old 24th September 2010, 13:14   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
When I got my Getz CRDi in 2009 June, one of the first things I did was to upsize to 15" from the stock 14...
So after a year's running on 195/55 R15, I am going change back to 14", albeit with a 185/60.

My suggestion for those who are upsizing: try the way a similar car behaves with your planned size if possible - else you may be in for surprise
Thanks for that! I am upgrading my stock 165/80 R14s on Swift and was planning to go 15" but now I think will play safe and go for 185/70 R14s instead. Nikhil has suggested the Michelin XM1 in that size, which should be perfect.
Old 25th September 2010, 13:06   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
78K on wards - 225/55/R16 - Beyond the recommended upsize size of 225/50/R16
Most C+ segment cars need a 225 width, especially if you tour at high speed on the expressways. The difference between my ol' Merc running 205, and the new car on 225 is noticeable. The latter's behaviour is very confidence inspiring. On the Laura, Civic & Cruze, I'd choose 225. But for the Altis, I suppose 205 is good enough.
Old 25th September 2010, 16:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
So do you think 205/55/15 is an overkill azeemhafiz? Hmmm, well if that is so, then I guess I am at the wrong side of the spectrum. But again, I have read other members who have said that 195/60/15 or 205/55/15 is fine. But as personal experience goes, I have found the steering quite hard and the acceleration has dropped considerably. This comparo is vis-a-vis the stock tires. Only thing I wish to know is whether I should stick to these tires or change ASAP to 195/60/15. I don't want to risk damaging my suspension and end up paying for it. Kindly clarify friends.

Also, on another front, does the tread pattern of a tire matter significantly. I mean I have seen Conti tires which aren't exactly cool but so very ordinary. On the contrary I have friends who swear by them. Falken's tread pattern is so cool, but there is not much to write home about the brand. If the Gurus could clarify on this, it would be very helpful.

Thanks
Champion
Hi Champion,

Well, I have used the 195/60/R15 option in the past and currently using the 205/55/R15 option on my Swift. I can confidently say that the 195/60/R15s were definitely better. I don't think it made too much of a difference on the FE front but definitely a noticeable difference in pickup and ride comfort. The handling has majorly improved though.

I will be shifting back to 195/60/R15s during my next tire change.
Old 29th September 2010, 03:17   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most C+ segment cars need a 225 width, especially if you tour at high speed on the expressways. The difference between my ol' Merc running 205, and the new car on 225 is noticeable. The latter's behaviour is very confidence inspiring. On the Laura, Civic & Cruze, I'd choose 225. But for the Altis, I suppose 205 is good enough.

On the Civic, I would not want to change the Rim size. The difference I have felt between the 195/65R15 Civic comes in India with compared to a 205/55R16 that Honda offers as a sport model in the US is very very significant in Road noise and Ride quality. Both go down, the ride quality is still not very uncomfortable though.

The Civic does not have the heavy duty build and road insulation of the Laura. It will be interesting to see how it will be on 225s. My guess is that it will be pushing the envelop a bit too far.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 29th September 2010 at 03:22.
Old 19th October 2010, 17:19   #41
LNK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gou View Post
@LNK when did you change/upgrade your tyres? Are you happy with it? Was there any problem in suspension or any other part after that? What I can see is there is an increase of 1.4 inches in the overall diameter. Doesn't it hamper with the suspension?
I changed it about 4 months ago. Since then I've done 4000+km in them. Suspension, no noticeable change. Yes, the height has increased a tad. Even after the increase of 1.4inches, the under-body scrapes some of the colossal humps on the road!
Old 8th November 2010, 12:59   #42

Laura TSI

Quote:
Would you recommend an upgrade to 16 for the Laura TSI? My primary factors are ride comfort and handling. Current tyres, as you might be aware, are 195/65 R15. The dealer is offering to upgrade them to 205/55 R16 as on the Superb TSI. Also, dealer quotes Rs50K for all five alloys and Rs 40K for 4 alloys (under exchange). Are these prices reasonable?

Didnt find any recent updates on tyre recommendations for the Laura on other threads.

Thanks.
Old 9th November 2010, 00:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtem View Post
Would you recommend an upgrade to 16 for the Laura TSI? My primary factors are ride comfort and handling. Current tyres, as you might be aware, are 195/65 R15. The dealer is offering to upgrade them to 205/55 R16 as on the Superb TSI. Also, dealer quotes Rs50K for all five alloys and Rs 40K for 4 alloys (under exchange). Are these prices reasonable?

Didnt find any recent updates on tyre recommendations for the Laura on other threads.

Thanks.
The initial versions of Laura used to come with 205/55R16 tires so that is definitely a logical upsize.

Note that this size provides for a very very good road feel and moderately firm ride compared to the 195/65R15.

The question is - are you an aggressive driver who wants to take the car to the limit - go for the upsize.

For regular use including highway cruises, the regular tires will do and they will ride better due to extra rubber/air between rim and the road.

Skoda alloys are always expensive and the dealers are very quick in voiding warranty in case you go in for aftermarket fitments. Of course you can get many good quality alloys at less than half the price in the market.

That said, even the Toyota Innova OEM alloys cost nearly INR 50k for 5 pieces.

Whatever you do, buy 5 pieces to allow for any freak accident that might render one alloy unusable.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 9th November 2010 at 00:26.
Old 23rd November 2010, 23:44   #44
BHPian

Nhc 2007

Hi friends

All these days was running my NHC 2007 on stock 175/65 R14.

After gaining some knowledge from TeamBHP, i have the following options to change / upgrade the tyres.

1. 185/55 R15
2. 195/60 R14
3. 195/50 R15
4. 205/50 R15

I have listed them in the order of my preference. My object is to

- increase the ground clearance (1, 2, 4 will do this job)
- with stock tyres riding on high-way feels a bit losing confidence in driving, so increase the with of the tyre.
- to have the steering as freely as stock, i understand that increasing width will have some effect on the steering.

Hi friends, i request your opinion for above options and if you have any other options pls let me know. I am also going for alloy wheels.

In the options suggested by you let me know available tyres (brand & model). Pls note i go for long tours (700-1000 Kms) twice in a year and rest city ride, Bengaluru.
Old 24th November 2010, 13:19   #45
BHPian

Hello All,

Some advice please. Just bought a i20 Asta, delivery is next week. It comes with 185/65/14 tyres. What is the sugested upgrade for the same?

Last edited by GTO : 28th November 2010 at 17:58. Reason: Correcting spelling

Most Viewed