Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2005, 16:04   #1
BHPian

Santro 4yrs+ tyre change?

Hi, one of the tyres on my backwheel has got a cut and looks exposed. Even the other back wheel tyre has worn out quite a bit. In fact these were in front, so had shuffled them a year ago.
These are stock tyres. Done 42k kms.
I should replace them with which brand and size of tyres? I use the car mostly in the city and does not have power steering.
Should I replace all four?
Should I go tubeless? Are they expensive compared to regular tyres?

Thanks
Old 26th November 2005, 17:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

See my experience after going tubeless...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6876
Old 26th November 2005, 21:48   #3
BHPian

Thanks Samurai

Dont have much time have to do it 2morrow. But reading the link looks like 165/60 R13 is a good option for comfortable ride. Am I right? Or should it be Bridgestone donuts?
Old 19th June 2006, 03:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just bought a Santro today and have changed over to 165/65 R 13 Goodyear Eagle GA Plus tubeless..the entire conversion for the 5 tyers cost me close to Rs 1950 for 5 tyres in exchange for the original ones.
Road noise seems lower compared to the original briodgestones...ride seems similar or better... more to come as I chug in kms on this and give my Baleno a much needed rest.
No..please go for 165/65 and not 165/60 R 13..
Old 19th June 2006, 10:50   #5
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
Just bought a Santro today and have changed over to 165/65 R 13 Goodyear Eagle GA Plus tubeless..the entire conversion for the 5 tyers cost me close to Rs 1950 for 5 tyres in exchange for the original ones.
Road noise seems lower compared to the original briodgestones...ride seems similar or better... more to come as I chug in kms on this and give my Baleno a much needed rest.
No..please go for 165/65 and not 165/60 R 13..
I agree that 165/60 R 13 or even 165/60 R14 are not good options for Indian roads. You don't seem to have switched to alloy wheels. I have heard that metal wheels can bend and not give good sealing for tubeless tyres. But my local mechanic says that he has a Santro with metal wheels and tubeless and has no problems. I think that alloys may be the safe option for highways, though -- I have heard that there is a risk of tubeless tyres even coming off metal wheels at high speeds if you hit a stone or big pot-holes, etc. Don't know how far this is true.
Regards, rks

Last edited by rks : 19th June 2006 at 10:55.
Old 19th June 2006, 10:56   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Hmm..i've a Xing too shod with 175/60/13 potenza giii! If you want grip and long lasting tyres dont look any further 60 profile ensures that the bumps are felt at speeds of 20kmph but any speed after 40-50kmph is supa smooth and stable. the other day me, fuelled and iraghave went to fit alloys on fuelled xing and the tyre guy said he could fit 195/60 without any problems !!!! now dunno whether thats true... but the also claimed to fit a 14'er rim with 55" profile tyre.
Old 19th June 2006, 13:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
I agree that 165/60 R 13 or even 165/60 R14 are not good options for Indian roads. You don't seem to have switched to alloy wheels. I have heard that metal wheels can bend and not give good sealing for tubeless tyres. But my local mechanic says that he has a Santro with metal wheels and tubeless and has no problems. I think that alloys may be the safe option for highways, though -- I have heard that there is a risk of tubeless tyres even coming off metal wheels at high speeds if you hit a stone or big pot-holes, etc. Don't know how far this is true.
Regards, rks
Not really one of my Santro's has been running 165/65 R13 tubeless tyres on stock steel rims without any problems for a while now.

Last edited by iraghava : 19th June 2006 at 13:05.
Old 19th June 2006, 15:17   #8
F50
Senior - BHPian

2 weeks back I changed my tyres to Pirellis P400 .... they are good. And with 5 yrs warranty. I had a option between Michelins and Pirellis. Pirellis were a ting less expensive then Michs.
And im using them on stock rims. Removed all wheel caps as all my rims are black it looks good.
Old 19th June 2006, 15:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

off topic ...but at 42 k kms get your strut kit rubber and your stabiliser bar rubber bushes checked ...
Old 20th June 2006, 00:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F 50
2 weeks back I changed my tyres to Pirellis P400 .... they are good. And with 5 yrs warranty. I had a option between Michelins and Pirellis. Pirellis were a ting less expensive then Michs.
And im using them on stock rims. Removed all wheel caps as all my rims are black it looks good.
size and price?

I have seen a Santro with 185 something on stock rims. Looked wow.
Old 20th June 2006, 01:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Regards, rks
Yes.. I have stock rims on my santro...I have been a rather old user of Tubeless tyres...used them in stock rims (three out of 5 were ones that were actually bent out of shape and hammered back in shape..thanks to nasty potholes) in my fiat uno (155/80 R 13 Michelins)....no problems there and I did 26k kms...
All this talk about using only alloy wheels for tubeless tyres is pure humbug.... can someone tell me why do tubeless tyres come as OEM on NHC, Fiesta, Optra, Octavia...all these cars come with just regular pressed steel disc wheels and not alloys....!!!!
One more thing.(though I must confess that I shifted to alloys in my Baleno..could not help resist the temptation) ..the alloys might CRACK on a severe impact while the steel rim will only go out of shape....you take a call on what is better ...generally if the rim is little bent out od shape......it is OK and the tubeless tyres dont leak air...of course if you have folded the edge twice over...then thats another story....!!!
Net net...to enjoy the advantages of tubeless tyres...you dont need alloys... (of course thats where the tyrewallah will make big money and sometimes hence ends up advising otherwise)...
If you want looks and the (very very marginal) advantage of low unsprung weight then by all means go ahead and buy a set.... just dont blame it on the tubeless tyres...poor guys can do pretty well on normal rims

Last edited by Buffetfan : 20th June 2006 at 02:04.
Old 7th August 2006, 18:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50
2 weeks back I changed my tyres to Pirellis P400 .... And im using them on stock rims.
What width and profile ? NEed to know the max upsize that can be accomodated on the OE stock steel rims for the Santro.
Old 7th August 2006, 23:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
What width and profile ? NEed to know the max upsize that can be accomodated on the OE stock steel rims for the Santro.
Not advisable to go beyond 165 width on stock rims though some people are running with 185 also.....
Old 8th August 2006, 06:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
Not advisable to go beyond 165 width on stock rims though some people are running with 185 also.....
i have seen 185 on stock rims!
Old 9th August 2006, 17:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Just to be clear when I say stock rims I dont mean 13" but I mean the OE STEEL DISCS... anyway Aza has replied ont he other thread vouching that he ran 175/60 for nearly a year without encountering problems....

Most Viewed