Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2017, 11:10   #76
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

My iGen i20 sportz (2012 model) now needs a replacement earlier than expected from the stock apollos even though it has an easy 5k kms juice left @ 45100 kms on the odo (spare never used until today either). Thanks to a shoddy manhole cover job by the municipal corporation which tore the side from top to bottom. Is it worth/ a good option to upgrade from 185/65 R14? To what size would be a good option (asking this specifically many of you have upgraded and might know of what suits better)? Also which is a good tire shop in and around Pune?
Old 8th February 2017, 11:23   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
My iGen i20 sportz (2012 model) now needs a replacement earlier than expected from the stock apollos even though it has an easy 5k kms juice left @ 45100 kms on the odo (spare never used until today either). Thanks to a shoddy manhole cover job by the municipal corporation which tore the side from top to bottom. Is it worth/ a good option to upgrade from 185/65 R14? To what size would be a good option (asking this specifically many of you have upgraded and might know of what suits better)? Also which is a good tire shop in and around Pune?
Centaur

You can safely get a new set of tires 185/65-R14 size.

Tire options :
1. Michelin XM2
2. Yokohama Earth1

Both are good proven tires here, choose any one based on your budget.
Michelin would be expensive by ~ Rs 200 per tire.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 12:54   #78
BHPian

Thanks a bunch Kpzen. Will stick to the stock size in that case. Went through the thread once again and I guess I wouldn't mind a hard tyre because the i20 anyway has very sift suspensions. So Will prefer Earth1.

Can anyone from Pune help with the best place to go to for the change?
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 17:44   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
My iGen i20 sportz (2012 model) now needs a replacement earlier than expected from the stock apollos even though it has an easy 5k kms juice left @ 45100 kms on the odo (spare never used until today either). Thanks to a shoddy manhole cover job by the municipal corporation which tore the side from top to bottom.
Went to Lokmanya today for a change. Went with Yokos. Costed me 4200 per tire+100 for weights (he said the alloys are in excellent condition as the weights required were less)+300 for alignment (again nothing major in terms of misalignment).

He said he will accept debit card but requested me to check in the nearby ATM if cash was available. If there wasn't, he was ready to take the card at no additional charges.

Like pointed out by others as well, the other problem apart from the card acceptance is the alignment center being at a different location. It is nearby but then you still need to drive till there.

While at the shop I asked on how much life is left in the tires. He checked all the tires, asked for the car age, checked the kms on the odo and said the tires have an easy 5-10k kms left in terms of distance but considering the age (around 4.5 years) I could opt for a change. However he cautioned me saying that the summers are up in a month and later rains.

Thought for a while and then went ahead with the change irrespective of the life left on the tires. After the change, there is a perceptible change in the road noise. Ride so far feels great. Hope it continues for a while.

EDIT - asked him if it would be good to upgrade and he said that 185 itself is a higher size as others come with 175. So better to stick to the same itself.

Last edited by centaur : 10th February 2017 at 17:46.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 14:42   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Read in a few forums online as well as here in tbhp, that the initial experience is good and similar to what I had. However later, the behaviour changes slightly for the worse.
I had a very similar experience with the Yokos on my Palio. They didn't show any sign of aging and within space of 2 weeks all 4 tyres developed swells and I had to make an urgent tyre purchase.

Quote:
Since online research helped me nada on finalizing the tyre make, I went with the option available at the nearest reliable shop.
Finally, I went ahead and purchased Michelin Primacy 3 ST, 205/55 R16. It costed me a 7.8k for a tyre.
Bubby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 15:46   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Using Continental Comfort Contact 5 in 185/65-R14 size on our i20. Had yoko C drives earlier that lasted for 50K kms. However they started to degrade in grip after 40K kms. Wanted to try a different premium brand. Hence the Conti's

Coming to CC5. Using them since 5K kms. They are extremely silent. Much more silent than what the C Drives were when new. It is kind of surreal when you are sitting in the rear seat on a 4 lane highway and all you hear is engine drone and no tyre noise. They are THAT silent.
Grip in wet is good. I would rate the dry grip as a notch below the C-Drives.They also tend to squeal easily under panic braking. Have not got the opportunity to test the wet grip yet.
Old 10th March 2017, 09:51   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post
I was also referred to the brigdestones but due to my prior experience with them on my i10, I decided to go with the Yokohamas.
Can you elaborate bit more please for us to learn about Bridgestone?
Like all others here in this forum, I am also taking Earth 1 based on popular choice among T-BHPians. However, some reliable puncture-shop guy (I always check tire-pressure & puncture fixing if any for 4 years) telling Bridgestone is better in the long run.

Your experience might be of help to decide.
Old 10th March 2017, 11:06   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam81 View Post
Can you elaborate bit more please for us to learn about Bridgestone?
Like all others here in this forum, I am also taking Earth 1 based on popular choice among T-BHPians. However, some reliable puncture-shop guy (I always check tire-pressure & puncture fixing if any for 4 years) telling Bridgestone is better in the long run.

Your experience might be of help to decide.
The bridgestones got really hard, noisy, developed cracks within the tread and on the sidewalls after about 2.5 to 3 yrs. The car had about 27000 kms on the clock.

All the local mechanics I know and had spoken to also said that bridgestones are better since their sidewalls are better suited for Indian roads,prone to less punctures etc.

IMO, over time , they get hard (as do others but comparitively harder) and become noisy and loose that soft comfort ride.

I chose Earth1s based on Tbhp reviews and on recommendations of my tyre guy as well.
hrbheda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 16:31   #84

Hi All,

My 2013 i20 (Sportz CRDi) has run 86K kms on stock Apollo's. My SA said that irrespective of how good the tires still look, I should change them once I hit 90K kms. Has anyone here had any experience with Falken Sincere? Are they a good bet? Also, is an upsize to 195 from 185 advisable? Most of my commute is on Gurgaon Faridabad Road with one outstation drive to the hills every quarter. Apollo's have served me well and looking at their longevity I was thinking to get Aceleres but a friend suggested Falken as he as been using it in his i10.

Please advise. Thank you!

Last edited by abhi7887 : 24th March 2017 at 16:45. Reason: Typo
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:18   #85
BHPian

Hyundai Elite i20 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Dear All

My i20 sportz 2014 has done 35000 Kms. It came with Bridgestone B250. They have become noisy, hard and loose grip very easily. I have noticed that there is still life left in them but i am planning a trip in monsoons and i don't want to take risk with these tyres.

Also i plan to upgrade to alloys from stock 14 inch steel wheels.

Tyre size options :

1) 185/70 R14 - Stock

2) 195/60 R15 - (Base model of i20 active has this)

3) 195/55 R16 - Top Asta has this.

Most probably i will go for the second option.

For tyres my priorities are :

1. Grip
2. Durability.

For alloys maybe i will go with plati. its the only brand i have checked. May change after i check out other options.

My usage are 50 % Highways 10 % Good City Roads 40 % Bad rural roads.

Please suggest tyre brand & size, alloys, which will suit my needs.

Please feel free to add anything or any other option i may have missed.

Thanks.

Mods : please move this to a appropriate thread if any.

Last edited by ckranjan : 2nd June 2017 at 11:20.
ckranjan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 02:22   #86
BANNED

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Since your usage includes a lot of bad rural roads, I would recommend not to go for alloys since they are much more prone to cracking and also the larger size would affect your ride quality.

Don't compare your car with the i20 active since it is raised and the suspension has a different setting. To compare your ride vs an Asta i20, I suggest do a TD.

For the brand with good grip and durability, it's literally 2 poles apart but the best compromise would be the Michelin XM2
And if you're looking for a lower price option the Goodyear Assurance and Apollo Alnac are good options too.
Old 3rd June 2017, 09:52   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Since your usage includes a lot of bad rural roads, I would recommend not to go for alloys since they are much more prone to cracking and also the larger size would affect your ride quality.
Its actually my daily commute to my office outside the city. and lots of my colleagues have i20 asta and cars with alloys which are running fine so no issues with alloys per se.

Tyres as u suggested. will go for XM2 or Amzer 4g.

only thing i need to check is the alloy wheel size. 14 inch aftermarket alloys would not do i guess. 16 inchers will degrade the ride quality. Thats why i was looking at 15 inch alloys.
Old 3rd June 2017, 14:23   #88
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
Its actually my daily commute to my office outside the city. and lots of my colleagues have i20 asta and cars with alloys which are running fine so no issues with alloys per se.

Tyres as u suggested. will go for XM2 or Amzer 4g.

only thing i need to check is the alloy wheel size. 14 inch aftermarket alloys would not do i guess. 16 inchers will degrade the ride quality. Thats why i was looking at 15 inch alloys.
If there's no issues, then the roads wouldn't be as bad I guess then you can go for the 16 inches easily, but do try your colleagues Asta cars, and compare the ride quality. And if you don't like it with 16 inches, better to go for the 15 inch with the similar contact patch.
Will at least improve the grip.

I'm not sure about the Amazer, I've heard good things about Alnac so I can only tell about that.
Old 3rd June 2017, 14:37   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I'm not sure about the Amazer, I've heard good things about Alnac so I can only tell about that.

Thanks for this. I will check them out. Will drive the asta to check how it feels.
ckranjan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 14:46   #90
BHPian

Update on the tyre change.

Went ahead with Tyre change at 42.5k for Elite CRDI Asta (running GoodYear Assurance). The tread for another 3-4k was left and the tread depth was 3mm.

Went for Michelin Primacy 3 ST 205 55 R16. The ride quality has improved by a fair margin, feels much better cushioned now. Also, the height of the vehicle has gone a little as I can make out and the steering a tad heavier in comparison to driving on the older set of Tyres.
Rahul_ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed