Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2010, 12:19   #1
ppr
BHPian

Tyres for Audi A6

Hi

I have a Jan 2008 Audi A6. It has done 21K Kms. One of the front tyres has a small bubble on the outside. The tyre treads seem to be OK and not worn out too much. There is no tyre noise on bad roads either. The present tyres are Bridgestone 245/45/R17. The spare tyre is unused.

1) Do I need to replace the tyres? Immediately or can it wait? One of the AUdi techs suggested replacing the tyres asap. But a friend who knows about cars drove the car and said it is not required yet.

2) If not changing the tyres, should I swap the front tyre with the spare?

3) If I have to change the tyres, what tyres should I use?

Thanks

ppr
Old 10th November 2010, 12:24   #2
BHPian

Preferably swap back to what the car came with. Remove that front replace with the spare if it is the same tyre and rim and not the space saver. And pick up a replacement. Bubbles aren't too big a hassle but better safe than sorry esp if you tend to do expressway speeds.
Old 10th November 2010, 12:26   #3
BHPian

Point 1 - You definitely need to change it as soon as you possibly can as it can prove very dangerous

Point 2 - A tyre with a bubble but a tread still fine may equal to a manufacturing defect. Take it to the dealer and they might shave off half the price to replace the tyre.

Don't bother taking it to Bridgestone. They will always insist that it is not a manufacturing defect. They did the same for the run flats on a 320d very recently.
Old 10th November 2010, 16:11   #4
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
Preferably swap back to what the car came with. Remove that front replace with the spare if it is the same tyre and rim and not the space saver. And pick up a replacement. Bubbles aren't too big a hassle but better safe than sorry esp if you tend to do expressway speeds.
I definitely tend to do high speeds. What else could one do with a car like this?

No space saver, full tyre.

ppr
Old 10th November 2010, 17:05   #5
BHPian

Get a new tyre. Preferably the same and if your spare is sparingly/never used then use the spare and the new tyre in the front unless you have the (all-hail) quattro. In which case use it however you please. I'd still put two lesser used tyres upfront. And use the used one as a spare. But if you do this align and balance first to save yourself of any hassles.

P.S. There tend to be a few people for whom an a6 would be their club or dinner car
Old 13th April 2014, 18:05   #6
BHPian

Sorry to revive an old thread. I have an Audi A6 2.0 TDI 2012 model. It has completed 2 years now and has clocked 27k Kms. It runs on stock Bridgestone potenza REO5OA 225/55 R17 tyres. The tyres do have some thread left but are getting a bit noisy. During the recent service the SA said the tyres need to be changed after a couple of thousand Kms. He suggested some Pirelli tyres which were found on almost most of the A6 cars that had come for service. I kindly request the tyre experts in our forum to please suggest me some good tyres. I requirements are ,
1. Silent tyres.
2. The car does nearly 95% of the running on the highways and is driven at speeds of about 130-150 Kmph max. Generally around 110 Kmph.
3. Most of the roads are well laid.
4. No RFT'S.
5. Open to any brand.
6. Will stick to the stock size.
Kindly help. Thanks in advance
Old 14th April 2014, 12:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tyres for Audi A6

Pirellis are a good option. They are the default option on most Jags and Audis in India today. They are reasonably silent and grip well.

Find out what is the pattern available and the price. Try to find a tyre dealer near you and get a quote through the tyre dealer.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 14:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Pirellis are a good option. They are the default option on most Jags and Audis in India today. They are reasonably silent and grip well.

Find out what is the pattern available and the price. Try to find a tyre dealer near you and get a quote through the tyre dealer.

Thanks a lot Nikhilb2008. I feel so privilleged when such an elite member of tbhp takes time off to answer my query. Feeling great to be a member of tbhp. The pirellis suggested were the cinturato p7 tubeless tyres. The Audi dealer quoted around 25k while the local tyre plus dealer quoted around 18k. But some how both of them didn't give me any other tyres as options. I just want to know if there are any Bridgestone / Michelin or Yokos which might be better in the stock size. Thanks.
Old 14th April 2014, 18:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgvij View Post
Thanks a lot Nikhilb2008. I feel so privilleged when such an elite member of tbhp takes time off to answer my query. Feeling great to be a member of tbhp. The pirellis suggested were the cinturato p7 tubeless tyres. The Audi dealer quoted around 25k while the local tyre plus dealer quoted around 18k. But some how both of them didn't give me any other tyres as options. I just want to know if there are any Bridgestone / Michelin or Yokos which might be better in the stock size. Thanks.
Michelin Yokohama Bridgestone may not have tyres in this size. It's a problem in our industry as of now. High end tyres not easily available.

Go for the Pirellis from a tyre shop as in all probability, he is the one selling to the dealer!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 19:30   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have seen Michelin Primacy 3 ST as stock tyres on an A6, look out for those too. Should be cheaper than Pirellis.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 22:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I have seen Michelin Primacy 3 ST as stock tyres on an A6, look out for those too. Should be cheaper than Pirellis.
Many thanks akshay1234. I have read some great reviews about the Michelin Primacy 3ST tyres in our team bhp. Even my civic runs on Primacy LC tyres (which are supposed to be the elder sibling of the Primacy 3ST tyres) and I am highly satisfied with them. So I wouldn't mind going for the Primacy 3 ST tyres. But if the pirellis would be superior I wouldn't mind going for them for a few extra bucks. The fact that there are not much reviews about the Pirelli Cinturato P7 tyres in our forum is making me think twice. Kindly advice. Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 00:28   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Many thanks akshay1234. I have read some great reviews about the Michelin Primacy 3ST tyres in our team bhp. Even my civic runs on Primacy LC tyres (which are supposed to be the elder sibling of the Primacy 3ST tyres) and I am highly satisfied with them. So I wouldn't mind going for the Primacy 3 ST tyres. But if the pirellis would be superior I wouldn't mind going for them for a few extra bucks. The fact that there are not much reviews about the Pirelli Cinturato P7 tyres in our forum is making me think twice. Kindly advice. Thanks
Personally I don't find the Pirellis worth the premium. The Michelins are as good if not better in all parameters. I don't understand why Pirellis are priced higher, across the range.

If Primacy 3ST is available in this size, then I would say go for it.
Old 15th April 2014, 11:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Personally I don't find the Pirellis worth the premium. The Michelins are as good if not better in all parameters. I don't understand why Pirellis are priced higher, across the range.

If Primacy 3ST is available in this size, then I would say go for it.

Will seriously look out for the availability of Primacy 3ST in stock size. Thanks for your advice. Will keep you informed.
Old 21st April 2014, 14:33   #14
BHPian

Did a bit of tyre hunt last weekend. All the tyre dealers suggested the pirellis. No Michelin P3ST in stock size. One dealer had PP2s in 245/55/17. On checking with tyre size calculator they had a difference of more than 3% from the stock size 225/55/17. So didn't want to risk it. Car still has another 20 months of warranty period.One dealer suggested continental tyres CPC2. The tyres were costing 13500 nett. But since it's a pretty old pattern decided to give it a miss. Hence going with Pirelli p7 cinturato tyres. Best quote of 16800 nett. The Audi dealer gave the highest quote of 25000 nett. He even said he had a set of imported OE tyres both Bridgestone n Pirelli at 52000 nett per tyre. Shocked. Hope I have made the right choice. Fixing the new tyres tomorrow. Thanks.

Most Viewed