Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2022, 22:58   #391
BHPian

Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Got the tyres changed on my Polo 1.2 MPI two months back. I wanted to target a plushier ride and hence had decided to go for the Continental UC6 with standard 185/60/15 size - mainly for the softer compound. I expected a big change considering I've been running on MRF ZVTVs for these 6 years. But the dealer did not have the UC6 in stock and I had to leave for a long-ish drive the next day. So I settled for the Yoko Earth-1, but decided to upsize to 195/60/15 to counter the slightly harder compound and still have a relatively comfortable ride. I am not 100% certain of this logic, so do let me know if I was mistaken in this understanding.

I can say my primary target was achieved, but the side-effects are not that easy to live with. To list it down, here it goes:

Pros:
1. Plushier ride than the MRF 185/60/15, as expected. The rumble strips on most roads are no longer as jarring and the ride on the Mumbai Pune expressways concrete is substantially silent.
2. Pothole resistance. The softer compound absorbs a lot of shocks (especially at speeds) and I'm sure the shock absorbers will thank the tyres for taking their load off a bit.

Cons:
1. FE for short drives has reduced quite a bit
2. I need to push the throttle a bit more than I did before, to get the same acceleration as earlier (with 185/16), and this is clearly noticeable. The upsizing has adversely affected the torque - especially at low rpms. This point in a way gets linked to Point 1 above.
3. My steering was creaking before the upsizing, but barely. Within two weeks of upsizing, the creaking has increased substantially. Not exactly sure how this works, but I'm guessing the loads on the steering column have changed.
4. The suspension has started making weird thumping noises. Not sure if it's associated with the tyres, but it started within a month of the upsizing. No other significant event had occurred during this time.

Around the same time, my dad got the UC6 installed on his Verna and I can feel the difference in ride between that tyre and the Earth-1. Maybe it's a phantom feeling combined with some subconscious bias to this rather subjective comparison, as there is more to ride quality than just tyres.

In any case, I would strongly suggest the Earth-1 or the UC6 for the Polo 1.2 MPI, but only at the rated size (185/60/15). This has more to do with the "just barely there" 1.2 MPI engine rather than the tyres themselves. Probably the GT owners will not notice much adverse impact of upsizing. But the difference in compound as compared to the stock tyres (MRF or Apollo) will make a noticeable improvement in ride quality by itself.

Last edited by MegaWhat : 24th August 2022 at 23:04.
MegaWhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 21:49   #392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Yes of course! The car is the same and so is the suspension set up. The Trendline & Comfortline comes with 14" rims with 175/70/R14 and Highline with 15" rims with 185/60/R15 tires.

This thread is old but very relevant even after polo phase out.
One quick question: my 2012 polo 1.2 mpi trend line came with 14’ steel rims & NO ABS. Will a move to 195/55r16 on stock high line plus alloys still make sense , considering no abs on the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
My relative has a 2017 VW Polo trendline with 14" steel rims. He wants to upgrade to 16" OE alloys. Can anyone please clarify based on REAL WORLD experience :
In the same boat as you! Did you end up getting 16” rims?

Last edited by ampere : 15th November 2022 at 22:26. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 18th November 2022, 20:05   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkaushal View Post
This thread is old but very relevant even after polo phase out.
One quick question: my 2012 polo 1.2 mpi trend line came with 14’ steel rims & NO ABS. Will a move to 195/55r16 on stock high line plus alloys still make sense , considering no abs on the car?
I don't think it will be a problem. As a matter of fact, braking will actually improve due to the wider tyres.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 20:09   #394

Quote:
I don't think it will be a problem. As a matter of fact, braking will actually improve due to the wider tyres.
Thanks epic! That’s my thinking too, since polo as a platform in India didn’t change all that much and it was being offered with r16 alloys back in uk in those days. Just better choice of soft grippy rubber at that size.
Old 19th November 2022, 05:02   #395

Quote:
Thanks epic! That’s my thinking too, since polo as a platform in India didn’t change all that much and it was being offered with r16 alloys back in uk in those days. Just better choice of soft grippy rubber at that size.
Old 10th December 2022, 17:12   #396
BHPian

Hi all,

The stock Goodyear assurance triplemax tyre got a slight sidewall bulge which I happened to notice today while washing the car. Now I'm thinking of replacing the tyres. My priorities are as below in this order:

1. High speed handling and stability
2. Wet grip
3. Braking performance
3. Road noise

I want to keep the stock size (195/55R16). What are my best options? I'm slightly leaning towards Continental UC6, but then there's Michelin P4ST, XM and also Yoko Advan Sport.
Old 24th December 2022, 11:49   #397
BHPian

Friends in Pune, can you please suggest a good shop to buy tyres, preferably in the eastern part of Pune (Hadapsar, Mundhwa, Kharadi) area. Looking to upgrade both the front tyres. Would be happy to get some brand suggestions as well since it is my first change (not planning any profile change)
Old 24th December 2022, 14:35   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Friends in Pune, can you please suggest a good shop to buy tyres, preferably in the eastern part of Pune (Hadapsar, Mundhwa, Kharadi) area. Looking to upgrade both the front tyres. Would be happy to get some brand suggestions as well since it is my first change (not planning any profile change)
TyreTrax on Nagar Road opposite Novotel is a good shop for alignment and balancing. They have excellent Hunter equipment and their main technician Raj is a very knowledgeable guy. I have not bought tyres from them but only done WA/WB, but you can surely check them out as they are a very professional setup with no hassle and nonsense. Nice big area to park too.
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 14:10   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
TyreTrax on Nagar Road opposite Novotel
Thanks for the suggestion. Went there today morning and met Raj as well as other technicians. I personally wanted to change all 4 tyres even though the two at the back were the ones that were in really bad shape. They quickly dismissed my suggestion and said that two existing tyres at the front can easily last another 10-15K! They just swapped it to back. the Alignment and Balancing cost just 500 bucks and I did not want to bargain as VW showrooms charge close to 1.5K for this!

Overall, very good service and no unwanted hassling for extra work.

PS: Two school kids came with a football asking for putting air in it and they did it in a jovial way.
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 11:55   #400
BANNED

my 205/55/15 yoko s drives have completed 50k/10 yrs on my gt tsi 2014.

they did well. very few punctures. can recommend whole heartedly. though they still drive well, they seem to be worn out now and road noise has increased.

out of the game for 10 yrs. this time looking for a slightly better ride quality/less road noise.

2024, which is the best 205/55/15 right now with best mix of good grip/less noise/comfortable ride ?

thank you.
Old 24th March 2024, 12:34   #401

I am planning to upgrade my GT 1.2 tyres (195/55/R16).
Currently it is apollo alnac 4G. I want to upgrade the size to 205/55 R16

My requirements are below
1. Better Road Grip and Braking
2. Ride comfort
3. Low noise

I am considering the following options.
1. Yokohama BluEarth-GT AE51
2. Continental ContiUltraContact UC6
3. Michelin Primacy 4ST

Which one will be good and do you have any other suggestions?
Old 24th March 2024, 13:31   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlove_83 View Post
I am considering the following options.
1. Yokohama BluEarth-GT AE51
2. Continental ContiUltraContact UC6
3. Michelin Primacy 4ST

Which one will be good and do you have any other suggestions?
Out of the three options you mentioned, P4ST is the best option but the availability of freshly manufactured Michelin in India is a problem, UC6 is a good alternative for P4ST, you can also have a look at MRF Perfinza.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks