Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2016, 11:39   #211
BHPian

Re: VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
What size are you planning to get? I paid under 10k for an upgrade to 195/60/15 MC5
I was looking at 205/60/15 Continental MC5s. Good option ? What's the difference between 195 and 205 ? (Apart from the numerical value of course !)

Where did you get your tyres upgraded ? Location/Contact ? Thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
I just checked with a dealer from whom I have been buying all my and close pals tires and he is quoting Rs. 6k change for MC5s and also he buys back tires. You can check with him and go ahead if cost & location suits. He has 3 shops. You can contact Ilyaz (A1 Car care center - 9880049305).

KK
Thank you for the number. I've visited A1 Car Care Center when I had to install Yokos on my previous car ( i10 ).

Is there any reference I can use to get a better price ? I'm hoping I can get the job done at around 10-12k max !

Last edited by shoaib3030 : 11th December 2016 at 11:42.
Old 11th December 2016, 11:46   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post
I was looking at 205/60/15 Continental MC5s. Good option ? What's the difference between 195 and 205 ? (Apart from the numerical value of course !)

Thank you for the number. I've visited A1 Car Care Center when I had to install Yokos on my previous car ( i10 ).

Is there any reference I can use to get a better price ? I'm hoping I can get the job done at around 10-12k max !
I have bought (including my close ones) at least 10 sets of tires from him and I have always got a good deal (I always check rates online and other dealers before getting it from him).

You can refer my name (Krishna Kumar).

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 16:06   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaib3030 View Post

!
205/60 might scrape the wheel well. Buy either 195/60 or 205/55. The latter is the ideal upsize.

I got it from Madhus tyres on Langford road as the owner(nikhilb2008 on the forum) is a close friend.
Old 2nd January 2017, 16:30   #214
BHPian

Re: Which Stock Size Tyres for Polo Highline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Do not bother with 205/55-15. I personally find 195/60-15 to the best compromise with ride comfort and ground clearance and better grip.

You get lots of options like Continental MC5, Michelin P3ST, Apollo Alnac, Yokohama Earth 1, etc... Go through the corresponding threads to understand the benefits of each and take a call.

Hi Nikhilb2008,

I have recently got Second Hand Highline 1.5L TDI. It has already 39k on it. OEM Apollo Alnac has very less life left on it. I am looking for changing it. After going through threads I have decided to stick with 195/60-15 instead of 205/55-15 with all due respect to your suggestions being Tyre expert. And being agreed with your logic for practicality with better GC.

However, Now I am confused which one to buy. Throughout forum some people suggests Michelin some continental etc http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif

So what is your opinion on this? I am looking forward to comfortable, and silent ride alongwith good grip.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 2nd January 2017, 18:10   #215
BHPian

I recently changed my Polo GT TSI's tyres from 185/60 R15 Apollo Alnacs to Yokohama S Drives 195/55 R15. My requirements were : a fairly high performance/sports rubber without upgrading wheel diameter or width. I chose 195/55 over 205/55 because I didn't want to introduce too much flex on the 6"J wheel, nor did I want to bog the peppy car down. And 195/55 R15 is a spec even VW UK used in its Polo Moda variant.

Initial Impressions: Now, Yoko S drives need at least 500 km to properly run in. So please do not go and attack corners at break neck speeds straight from the tyre shop. Have done only 160 km so far.

Initially, steering was super light, and devoid of any feedback. Now that it has partially run in, the steering heaviness and feedback is coming back.

There is a slight increase in tramlining, compared to the Alnacs. But that could also be because I am just running 0.11 degree toe at the front. The steering is a bit more alive in your hands.

In spite of being lower profile, and lesser GC, the ride has not deteriorated at all. I attribute this to the better rubber, as opposed to the Alnacs. My dad claims that the ride might have even improved.

Braking seems to be as good, may be marginally better. Expecting to get better as I run it in. Wheel-spins are a thing of the past. I can accelerate out of low grip situations without wheel spins.

Will post detailed review, after run-in. May be after 1000 km.

Last edited by rageshgr : 2nd January 2017 at 18:15.
rageshgr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 14:57   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
On the 205, I am using Conti MC5's and am very happy with them.
Iam currently using 205 on Polo and happy with it. Due to poor maintenance, no wheel alignment and balancing at recommended 5k interval, there is an uneven tire wear @25k kms & its clearly noticeable during the drive.

If I continue to drive with those unevenly worn tires, will it cause damage to any other parts?

PS: the quality of the run has come down & Iam gonna replace it. Just from the technical point of view, would like to find that out
Old 6th January 2017, 13:18   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKohl123 View Post
Hi Nikhilb2008,

I have recently got Second Hand Highline 1.5L TDI. It has already 39k on it. OEM Apollo Alnac has very less life left on it. I am looking for changing it. After going through threads I have decided to stick with 195/60-15 instead of 205/55-15 with all due respect to your suggestions being Tyre expert. And being agreed with your logic for practicality with better GC.

However, Now I am confused which one to buy. Throughout forum some people suggests Michelin some continental etc http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif

So what is your opinion on this? I am looking forward to comfortable, and silent ride alongwith good grip.

Thanks in Advance.
Doesnt matter much. Go with whatever you want amongst the 3 preferred tyres: Yoko Earth 1, Michelin P3ST and Continental MC5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Iam currently using 205 on Polo and happy with it. Due to poor maintenance, no wheel alignment and balancing at recommended 5k interval, there is an uneven tire wear @25k kms & its clearly noticeable during the drive.

If I continue to drive with those unevenly worn tires, will it cause damage to any other parts?

PS: the quality of the run has come down & Iam gonna replace it. Just from the technical point of view, would like to find that out
Not really. Increased vibration will cause quicker wear and tear on the suspension parts and linkages. Apart from that, I dont foresee any major problem.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 16:12   #218
BHPian

Badly need a change of the rubbers I'm running on, the Acelere's lasted more than 40k kms. These are the options I could zero in on, can't decide on one
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-capture.png  

Old 10th January 2017, 17:58   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

FrankMehta had a very bad experience with Falkens.

My simple logic: If something is cheap, there is usually a reason behind it.

If I were you, I would go with 195/60-15 but with a proper brand like Yokohama, Goodyear, Michelin, etc....

You may spend let's say 5000 extra overall.... but spread out this 5k over the life of the tyres which is 3-4 years.

Now answer the question: How much did you REALLY save by trying to go for the cheapest tyre?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 22:44   #220
BHPian

Given the "not so strong" engine, would a tire upsize to 195/60/15 for a Polo 1.2 MPI make sense or is it better to stick to 185/60/15 OEM spec?
Old 13th February 2017, 15:50   #221
BHPian

My 1.2 TDI Highline is running on 185/60r15 tyres and they are on their last breaths. Im looking for an upgrade. However, I require the tyre to be good on the dirt and the occasional mud patch. Speed isnt a big necessity. If possible, I want to improve GC as well. What brands should I look for?

I know, the polo is a light car so its not much of a difference what tyres I use, nor am I going extreme off roading, but I do have to tread a few dirt trails on the car and I need a tyre that will be the best amongst the limited options.

Im thinking of Michelin XM1s, are there any other options I should look at?

EDIT: Just as a rogue thought, is it possible to fit 205/70r15 Geolandars on stock rims in the polo, with spacers probably?

Last edited by ashwin1224 : 13th February 2017 at 16:16.
Old 25th February 2017, 10:00   #222
BHPian

I want to change the tyres of my 2013 1.2 Petrol Polo. Has anyone used Bridgestone Ecopia or Dueler? I saw an advertisement on the last page of TOI today, which prompted me to think about Bridgestone.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1487997019658.jpg  

Ketan T is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 11:29   #223
Senior - BHPian

I switched over to MRF ZSport 205/55R15 tires last month and I couldn't be a happier man.
A quirky thing about these tires is that they get into their element after a few hundred kilometres of use.
The salient features of these tires are
+great grip
+fabulous steering response- razor sharp and very communicative
+braking abilities have improved considerably
-noisy from day one
-drop in profile means ride quality is compromised but I have played around with tire pressures and may just be able to report the preferable tire pressure for the combination of best ride and handling

All in all, highly recommended.
Every person who has driven my car has come out surprised. More so, on seeing the tread pattern and impressive design of the tire. Even more, on finding out that it's an MRF.

Extremely happy to post this! Indian manufacturer making great tires is always a pleasant feeling for the patriotic few amongst us.
Old 27th February 2017, 13:00   #224
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys. My Polo 1.6 has done around 63k kms and I had recently changed the tires to Continental MC5 205/55/R15. Car feels smooth and great with no tire noise. I was contemplating on selling it but after a lot of thought have decided to keep it and maintain it like a classic car.

However, the stock rims are getting on t me and so planning to upsize to 16" rims with a tire size of 205/50/R16 OR 195/55/R16 which I believe will now be the stock tire size on the new Polos. Even though I know the car will look hot, I am skeptical of the ride quality and not sure how much I will be losing out on.

Can anyone share their experience on 16" rims and whether it is recommended on Mumbai roads?
Old 27th February 2017, 14:03   #225
BHPian

Hello all. I have a 2011 VW polo with Yokohama s drives on it they were manufactured in the 9th week of 2012 and have decent tread left on them. They don't seem to be loosing grip and have no cracks or lumps whatsoever on them would it be ideal to change these tyres now ? Or can I wait for a few months and then do it ? The car has run approximately 40k kms on these tyres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks