Team-BHP - VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Tyre & Alloy wheel Section (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/)
-   -   VW Polo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/92635-vw-polo-tyre-wheel-upgrade-thread.html)

Dear All

I would be receiving my Polo 1.2 Petrol Trendline soon and the first thing I want to do is to change the wheels and tyres to the Highline specs. Trendline comes with 175/70 R14 wheels and Highline has stock alloy wheels and 185/60 15 inch tyres. I have the following doubts.

1. Upgrading to Highline specs- Will it void warranty? Many Swift owners have upgraded their LXi and VXi tyres to ZXi specs and it does not void warranty.

2. Stock alloys of Highline- Accessory guy in VW Orion motors at Hyderabad said that each alloy will cost INR 17000 which is too expensive. Are they available in the after market?

3. Can we fit 15 inch alloys of Neo/HR make with out any worry? Another thought is to buy SX4 or Innova 15 inch alloy wheels and fit them in Polo. Somehow the OEM alloys look more professional than the after market alloys which are too flashy.

thanks for the time. Please advise.

GK

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkoneti (Post 2151224)
Dear All

I would be receiving my Polo 1.2 Petrol Trendline soon and the first thing I want to do is to change the wheels and tyres to the Highline specs. Trendline comes with 175/70 R14 wheels and Highline has stock alloy wheels and 185/60 15 inch tyres. I have the following doubts.

1. Upgrading to Highline specs- Will it void warranty? Many Swift owners have upgraded their LXi and VXi tyres to ZXi specs and it does not void warranty.

2. Stock alloys of Highline- Accessory guy in VW Orion motors at Hyderabad said that each alloy will cost INR 17000 which is too expensive. Are they available in the after market?

3. Can we fit 15 inch alloys of Neo/HR make with out any worry? Another thought is to buy SX4 or Innova 15 inch alloy wheels and fit them in Polo. Somehow the OEM alloys look more professional than the after market alloys which are too flashy.

thanks for the time. Please advise.

GK

Hi,

I personally feel 17k per rim is daylight robbery. You can easily get aftermarket alloys off professional & international brands like OZ Racing, BBS, etc for around 8k per rim. Being a proud owner of a set of OZs myself, I can confidently say that these rims are not only stronger than regular rims available in the market but way lighter too. They come in beautiful designs and are totally worth it.

Quote:

Swift ZXi comes with 185/70R14 while stock size of LXi and VXi is 165/80R14, so there is no change in rim size, but here you intend to go one up in rim size, I think this will void you warranty.

Quote:

17K/piece, man this just can't be true!

Quote:

Yes, you surely can but warranty will remain an Issue, there is no 15 inch alloy wheel of SX4 as VXi model has normal steel rims, and the PCD of Innova and SX4 is 114.3 with 5 hole, while I think Polo is 100 PCD, 5 hole.

I personally feel that 185/60 R15 (stock with the Highline variant) is the best tyre size for the Polo. Great balance in ride & handling, and not too extreme (considering the conservative output of either 1.2 L engine). Get yourself a set of nice wheels from a reputable brand and you won't face any problems.

Thanks GTO. It was a pleasant to see and read your reply.:Cheering:

Well, I would like to ask the following questions as well.

1. What about the warranty issues with upgrading the tyres and wheels to 15 inch?

2. Hope the trendline and highline versions have same body specs like wheel arches and having 15 inch tyres and alloys on trendline wont cause issues in tight turnings and cause wall damage etc.

regards

GK

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkoneti (Post 2154015)
What about the warranty issues with upgrading the tyres and wheels to 15 inch?

As long as you stick to the exact same size as the Highline variant, there is no chance of any warranty problem.

Quote:

2. Hope the trendline and highline versions have same body specs like wheel arches and having 15 inch tyres and alloys on trendline wont cause issues in tight turnings and cause wall damage etc.
They are identical.

Small Update

Yesterday, i went to VW dealer (Orinon Motors) to handover my DD for the balance payment and I saw a trendline in the display fitted with 14 inch Neo wheels. Could not take a picture as I was not having a camera.

On enquiry the sales guy said that VW has approved using Neo wheels for trendline but we have to buy only from the VW dealer and not from outside alloy shops. Seemed to be rubbish. :Frustrati How many more years, these dealers continue their useless tactics? I wonder. It is a simple plain truth that you can get so many brands of alloys from after market and why should one stick to buying from the dealer?

Now I am considering exchange of stock 14 inch tyres to 15 inch tyres on the same day of delivery so that I can get good price and I can buy new 15 inch tyres from the same shop. Will talk to few dealers and let you know. I don't know what to do with rims. I am sure I may not get good price.

My Polo Trendline petrol would reach Hyderabad tomorrow and I need to quickly decide on the alloy wheels and tyres.

Spoke to Kumar agencies of Bangalore for Momo Winter 2 wheels of 100 PCD and 5 holes. They do not have them in stock. I am not sure of the PCD of these wheels but they look smashing. I liked the sub dued look.

Then today, I went to Ashoka Wheels in Minister road for tyre exchange and 15 inch alloys. They do have few 15 inch LENSO and PLATI alloys, but not very attractive. Chrome finish is too flashy for me.

Ritesh, the owner of the shop said that the only stock alloy wheels that could fit Polo would be Skoda Octavia alloys. He has a set of 4 Skoda alloys and he is quoting INR 15000 for them. Is this price Ok?

Only issue is that I need to change the Skoda logo to VW logo by sticker or something. Gurus, suggestions please.

Regarding tyres, it seems only Apollo and Bridgestone have the stock size of 185/60 R15 size and Apollo tyre would cost INR 3800 per piece and Bridgestone would be INR 4050 per piece. For my 175/70 R14 inch tyres, he would pay me INR 2500 per piece. Is this a good exchange price? Please let me know your views...

thank you. :)

The search for 15 inch Alloys for Polo is getting more difficult. There are very few options that can suit Polo stock 15 inch alloy specifications in India. It seems that 5 hole, 100 PCD alloys are not that popular as Skoda octavia was the only one which has same specs.

Does anybody know the exact specs of 15 inch stock alloys of Polo like rim diameter, offset etc. Offset is another issue with Momo wheels. It seems the Momo wheels mentioned in the above post are not perfectly suited for Polo because of Offset issue, As told by a dealer in hyderabad.

Neo wheels does not have any alloys compatible either for Skoda Octavia or the VW Polo on their website.

Is the Fabia wheels same PCD and Lug numbers as Polo?\

I did see a Octavia with a decent design in the Veloche brand

Check Veloche at www.pitperformance.com. Do let us know about upgrading wheels

Hi

Today I visited the VW workshop and checked the specifications. Alloy wheel is called Riverside. Sort of cute name. And the specs are mentioned as 6J X 15 H2 ET 40.

Experts, can you decipher this and make it meaningful. 6 i assume is the width of the alloy and 15 is ofcourse the wheel size. Is 40 the offset?

6J means width of the rim is 6" and 'J' refers to the shape of the rim contour (rim contours are standardized and thus come in different letter designations)
15H2 is the diameter of the wheel in inches
ET 40 is the offset (distance of the rim's true center-line from the mounting hub, here offset = 40mm positive)

hope this helps:)

thanks Jerry.

Unable to find suitable 15 inch alloys for my Polo. I have stopped my search and taking delivery of the car tomorrow as it is with stock 14 inch steel rims. It is unfortunate that this thread is getting closed on a sad note.

What is more saddening is that VW has priced the 15 inch stock alloys at an unbelievable 20K per alloy. I have checked the price with my own eyes on the spare parts software in the VW workshop. Unbelievable stupidity or arrogance. May be they want to keep the exclusivity of the Highline which is priced at 2 lakhs premium to the base version.

I do not wish to compromise by going for 14 inch wheels. Otherwise Neo wheels have developed a special model exclusively for Polo. Those who wish to buy them for their trendlines, please buy them from Neo dealers as VW dealers are trying to sell them at 25K for a set of 5 wheels. 4 wheels are not allowed. Dealers can sell a set of 4 wheels at 15K.

Overall feeling about VW is not so positive. They need to come out of that false German attitude. The whole world is running and trying to catch up with India and its customer base. Look at Toyota Etios. Ballistic pricing, I must say.

Good bye friends for now. This is the last post. Thanks for the patience. Cheers.:thumbs up

Sort of re-opening this Thread because iam expecting my Polo 1.2 Trendline sometime next month!

Has anyone else recently managed to purchase a good set of Alloys for their Polo? If so, Plllease do update what are the specs of your Alloys, so that my search will become a little easier.

Also wanted to ask the Experts, whether its okay to go for 14" wheels instead of 15".

If anyone knows a good dealer for Alloys for the Polo in Chennai, please do share your inputs.

You can go for 14 inch alloys perfectly. Please read my posts above. Neo makes exact specced 14 inch alloys (for the OEM tyres) for Trendline/Comfortline. If you wish to upgrade the tyres to 15 inch alloys, then the issues start. I am sailing in the same boat. Since I did not have any choice, I am running my Polo trendline with stock tyres and wheels.