Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2014, 16:32   #226

re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hello all, I’ve been avidly following this list ever since suffering three catastrophic sidewall tears within a few months of each other two years ago. I had complained bitterly to Skoda about the non-availability of A/T tyres in the right size in India but sadly, did not get very far. Now, I have to change my tyres, especially since I will be driving to Ladakh this summer. Having read all the pros and cons of the different tyres available for the Yeti in India on this list, I’m still not clear about which one is recommended, especially for driving on bad, potholed roads and for some off-road usage. Your suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 9th June 2014, 11:43   #227
BHPian

Hi Friends,

My Yeti has done about 35000 km in about 22 months. The stock goodyears have become very noisy, so planning to change the shoes.
My main criteria is Low road noise and softer ride.
I have three options in my mind
1) Bridgestone ER 370 ( stock size best quote of Rs 8350 per piece)
2) Pirelli p7 ( Stock size best quote if Rs 7800 per tire)
3) Michelin Latitude tour HP (215/65/16, very steep quote of 11k per piece, mostly will not consider michelin because of the fact that they are expensive and also it is outside the safe limit of 3%)

What are your thoughts/suggestions? Any other option that I may look at (Michelin primacy LC...too soft?)

Thanks
Sagpatel
Old 9th June 2014, 12:57   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

I would recommend the Bridgestones 100%, I have covered almost 10K kms on them now and they are still noiseless and confident in Grip.
After having gone through two sets of tyres first Goodyears and then Yoko C-Drives, and now Bridgestone ER370, I realized that they offer the best balance of Comfort, low noise and strength (in the stock size). Avoid Primacy LC for the Yeti as they are too soft and puncture prone and also have too soft sidewalls.

If you are upgrading to the 215/65 R16, Michelins Latitude Tour HP will be your best choice, albeit a bit more expensive.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2014, 16:58   #229
BHPian

Thanks Behemoth. Bridgestone is on the top of my list, however i would like to get a feedback on pirellis before i take a final decision. Can anyone provide review on pirellis?
Old 9th June 2014, 17:08   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
My main criteria is Low road noise and softer ride.
I have three options in my mind
1) Bridgestone ER 370 ( stock size best quote of Rs 8350 per piece)
2) Pirelli p7 ( Stock size best quote if Rs 7800 per tire)
3) Michelin Latitude tour HP (215/65/16, very steep quote of 11k per piece, mostly will not consider michelin because of the fact that they are expensive and also it is outside the safe limit of 3%)
Options 1 & 2 are sedan/saloon tyres, with the Bridgestone being OE on Honda Accord and Jazz.

IMHO it makes no sense to buy a 4wd/AWD and put sedan tyres on it. Its like putting ballerina shoes on a footballer.

I'm holding out on my tire upgrade till the monsoon (which has arrived, but am still out of country so its fine) and I still cannot find a credible alternative to the atrociously expensive Latitudes.

I hope I find a decent AT option at a sensible price before I go and plonk 48k on expensive french rubber.
Old 9th June 2014, 20:02   #231

I'm holding out on my tire upgrade till the monsoon (which has arrived, but am still out of country so its fine) and I still cannot find a credible alternative to the atrociously expensive Latitudes.

[/quote]

So, would you say the Latitudes are the best option for the Yeti at the moment?
Old 9th June 2014, 22:13   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Behemoth. Bridgestone is on the top of my list, however i would like to get a feedback on pirellis before i take a final decision. Can anyone provide review on pirellis?
I have been using the Pirelli P6 on my Yeti for about 42k+ km. It is holding up very well and was a huge improvement over the stock good years. Looks like it will last a lot longer. The ride is much more plush (less harder) comparable to good-year.

Last edited by contessa : 9th June 2014 at 22:41.
contessa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 00:37   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetizing View Post
So, would you say the Latitudes are the best option for the Yeti at the moment?
The "best option" differs from person to person - it all depends on what your requirements are. For my needs (good high-speed manners, grip, quiet ride, occasional off-road foray) the Latitude seems like the only option available in the country at the moment, but I will keep hoping to find a cheaper alternative until the last moment as they are prohibitively expensive.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 09:57   #234
BHPian

I have a 4x2 so I dont off-road, and given the fact that stock goodyear's have become very noisy, I can not wait much for the alternative to the expensive latitude tours to arrive.
Old 10th June 2014, 10:59   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a 4x2 so I dont off-road, and given the fact that stock goodyear's have become very noisy, I can not wait much for the alternative to the expensive latitude tours to arrive.
You can even consider the Falken Wildpeak HT01, which are in 215/65R16 size and are available for around 9K per tyre. These are with 5 year manufacturer warranty:
http://www.changemytyre.com/Car/Tyre...PEAK-HT01/3789

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 19:18   #236
BHPian

One more question. How old is safe to buy new ones. I mean if the tyres are 6-8 months old but unused is it safe?
Old 10th June 2014, 19:35   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Anything upto a max of 9 months old is fine if they are stored in a safe place.
Old 10th June 2014, 19:40   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a 4x2 so I dont off-road.
No reason why you shouldn't consider sedan tyres, then. Those Turanzas are good, and so are the Pirelli P7s.

EDIT: You have so many more options in sedan tyres, if I'm not mistaken. Nikhil has been raving about the new MRF ZLOs, not sure if you get them in this size but it might be worth checking them out as the prices would be more realistic. I really cannot get used to this situation of having to pay more than Re.1 per km of driving for the tyres - there seems to be a tyre mafia of sorts in India as the prices are quite ridiculous. Rs.48k worth of French rubber lasting about 30k kms, now being stretched to 33-34k - that is just not on.

Last edited by Steeroid : 10th June 2014 at 19:46.
Old 10th June 2014, 20:18   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You can even consider the Falken Wildpeak HT01, which are in 215/65R16 size and are available for around 9K per tyre.
Thanks for that Behemoth - looks like there is an option, as an overwhelming majority of reviews for this tyre are very positive on most aspects, and surprisingly most say this is a very quiet tyre despite that fact that it has a more aggressive tread than similar ones. Its a light truck tyre, so should probably suit the purpose. Not a HUGE saving on the Michelins, but I guess we have to register our protest with our wallets at some point.
Old 10th June 2014, 21:58   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
No reason why you shouldn't consider sedan tyres, then. Those Turanzas are good, and so are the Pirelli P7s.

EDIT: You have so many more options in sedan tyres, if I'm not mistaken. Nikhil has been raving about the new MRF ZLOs, not sure if you get them in this size but it might be worth checking them out as the prices would be more realistic. I really cannot get used to this situation of having to pay more than Re.1 per km of driving for the tyres - there seems to be a tyre mafia of sorts in India as the prices are quite ridiculous. Rs.48k worth of French rubber lasting about 30k kms, now being stretched to 33-34k - that is just not on.
Yes. One of the dealers suggested me Michelin primacy 3ST to add to my confusion.

Most Viewed