Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2016, 23:00   #466
BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

My Yeti has run a healthy 82k. Its been a splendid 4.5 years now. I've already run through two sets of FALKEN AZENIS PT722' in the stock size. Living in Mumbai & Pune, the biggest issue for me is low speed ride, specially on tiled surfaces at intersections & on concrete. The ride off late had gotten really stiff & I seemed to pick up even the most minute undulations & irregularities from the road surface. Basically, the NVH levels were just getting unbearable. I wonder why did Skoda India choose such an odd size of tyre i.e 215 60 R16, which is a car size tyre, for an SUV. About 2 years back, when I switched to the second set of the FALKEN AZENIS PT722 range, I had a choice to go for the FALKEN WILDPEAK HT. I was however reluctant to upsize fearing issues with warranty. But this time round, I have seen that enough Yeti owners have taken the plunge and have been raving on about how much VFM these tyres offer. So I ended up getting a set of 4 tyres for 28K. Manufactured 3816. So pretty darn new. First impressions, as many of you have pointed out, is the slight increase in GC, which definitely aids with visibility. Also, the wheel wells appear more fuller and the Yeti certainly does have loads of space to accommodate bigger tyres. As far as the low speed ride goes, which was the biggest issue for me, I have noticed a significant difference in the ride and these new FALKEN WILDPEAK HT have managed to minimise the minor undulations from the road surface. It is an SUV tire after all & I learned from the tyre dealer that the 215 65 R16 was also the stock size for the Duster and the Q3 4x2. As far as handling and braking are concerned, its too early to say. I'll take it easy the first couple of 00 km'. I hope to run them for a minimum of 25k at the least.
Old 17th December 2016, 12:39   #467
Team-BHP Support

The Falkens will easily last more than 25k. I think I've just crossed the 25k mark on mine and they look only about 50% worn. Needless to say I won't be keeping them more than another 10k, since they do seem to have stiffened up a bit by now.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 10:23   #468
BHPian

Hi Folks, Any feedback on Michelin Primacy SUV 215/65 R16? How do these compare to Latitude Tour HPs? My yeti has done 91K in four and half yrs, 36K on stock good year and 55K on Michelin Primacy 3ST. May be I can stretch another 5K easily as there is enough thread left on them! Since last set of Michelins performed well, I am more inclined towards them rather than going for Falkens.
Old 25th April 2017, 01:09   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am using the same tires. Good tires, more off road biased. A bit of road noise but comfortable tires.
Quote:
Here is the Geolander A/T's in the Yeti. Done approx 25 to 30K. Looks good for another 25 to 30K atleast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
For the spare tyre please get the 215/60 R 16 tyre as if you use the 195/60 it will damage the Haldex clutch due to excessive slippage due to more than 5% speed difference with your new tyres.

Hi Behemoth & Sheel

I Saw these tyres at a shop Yokohama G012 - 215/65 R16 (98H) How good are they?

What the shop didn't have was the Michelin LTX Force said they would get it tomorrow.
http://www.michelin.in/IN/en/tyres/p...tx-force1.html

what about the Latitude Cross? He didn't mention anything about that

The Yokohamas are cheaper.
So tell me what do I choose

Best regards
Old 25th April 2017, 06:45   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Hi Behemoth & Sheel

What the shop didn't have was the Michelin LTX Force said they would get it tomorrow.
http://www.michelin.in/IN/en/tyres/p...tx-force1.html

what about the Latitude Cross? He didn't mention anything about that

The Yokohamas are cheaper.
So tell me what do I choose

Best regards
Unless you have a 50/50 on road/off road usage, I would not recommend the Yoko G12 tyres as they are AT tyres and more noisy. It will be better to go for HT tyres for 80/20 on/off road use. HT tyres like the Michelin Latitude cross or Falken wildpeak HT are much more comfortable and less noisy.
One more additional option you can consider is the Bridgestone B390 tyres in 205/65 R16. This is closer to the stock size and will also be a good choice.

Last edited by Behemoth : 25th April 2017 at 06:48.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 08:57   #471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Hi Behemoth & Sheel

Proper AT tires, the Yokohamas. If your usage demands an AT tire, go for them eyes closed or with Michelin Force SUV tire. Appears, Michelin has come up with Primacy SUV tires for India in place of Latitude Tour HP's.

Decide your usage [off road ratio vs on road] by off road, bad roads, gravel etc, the AT will have better grip. In my current ride [a Scorpio 4X4] I find the AT's to be infinite times better.

Quote:
One more additional option you can consider is the Bridgestone B390 tyres in 205/65 R16. This is closer to the stock size and will also be a good choice.
I believe the stock size is 215/60 R16 and not 205/65 R16

Last edited by Sheel : 25th April 2017 at 09:00.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 10:39   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I believe the stock size is 215/60 R16 and not 205/65 R16
Yup! Stock size 215/60 R16, but 205/65 R16 is just +1.1% size and it within the recommended 3% differential in Tyre size.
For people who are concerned about the excessive difference of the 215/65 R16 tyre size, the 205/65 R16 size should be taken.

But as the contact patch is less wide, the cornering grip will reduce, but there will be a gain in comfort due to lesser contact patch (less road undulation transfer) and higher aspect ratio.

Now there are plenty of options available in both 205/65 R16 (which is mainly a car/ MUV tyre) and also 215/65 R16 (which is a crossover tyre and available in H/T as well as A/T options)
My experience with the Falkens Wildpeak in 215/65 R16 was quite good and I would certainly recommend them (even more because of the fantastic price which I had got them at - 6200 including fitment and balancing IIRC)
Old 25th April 2017, 14:29   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Proper AT tires, the Yokohamas. If your usage demands an AT tire, go for them eyes closed or with Michelin Force SUV tire. Appears, Michelin has come up with Primacy SUV tires for India in place of Latitude Tour HP's.
Quote:
Unless you have a 50/50 on road/off road usage, I would not recommend the Yoko G12 tyres as they are AT tyres and more noisy. It will be better to go for HT tyres for 80/20 on/off road use. HT tyres like the Michelin Latitude cross or Falken wildpeak HT are much more comfortable and less noisy.
Thanks for the info. Bridgestone I have used the ER 370 now I need to try out something different.

In Michelin's Primacy SUV in ON road suv tyres. 215 / 65 R 16.

Primacy 3ST is a normal sedan type I think available in stock size

Bridgestone Turanza T001 is sedan high end tyres 215/60 R 16 95V & 225/60 R16 98 W (got this from the T-bhp site)
One dealer told me he has the one in stock. and he also has Ecopia as well as ER 370.

Bridgestone Dueler H/T 684 etc in 215/65 R16 is on the website but Im not sure if the dealer will have, Problem with most car tyre shops is they want to sell what they have. Not interested in looking at what they might be able to offer from the companies they sell for.
Regards
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:01   #474
BHPian

Hi behemoth,
I have read your posts and would like to appreciate the clarity with which you help others decide on improvements. For the tyres upgrade, my yeti 4X2 has done 130k in 3 years and i am currently on my 4th set of tyres which are the MRF wanderers 215/65/R16. Very happy with these got close to 45k with some thread still left on them. Two questions :
a. Deciding between the same size MRF wanderers or the falkens 215/65/16. Which one would you suggest ?
b. Also, i saw your post with the rogegrab dampers. Very tempted to try them. Your feedback on those dampers please.
Thanks.
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:22   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadathani View Post
Hi behemoth,
I have read your posts and would like to appreciate the clarity with which you help others decide on improvements. For the tyres upgrade, my yeti 4X2 has done 130k in 3 years and i am currently on my 4th set of tyres which are the MRF wanderers 215/65/R16. Very happy with these got close to 45k with some thread still left on them. Two questions :
a. Deciding between the same size MRF wanderers or the falkens 215/65/16. Which one would you suggest ?
b. Also, i saw your post with the rogegrab dampers. Very tempted to try them. Your feedback on those dampers please.
Thanks.
My recommendation would still be the Falken Wildpeak over the Wanderers anyday. Though I have sold my Yeti (booked a Compass and waiting for delivery).
You should also evaluate Michelin Latitude Tour HP as they are also great tyres, though a bit more expensive.

For the Rogerab dampers, they are not really required for the Yeti as it increases spring stiffness by nullifying some coils in the springs. The Yeti already has a very stiff ride and doing this will make it even stiffer. If increased GC is your objective, the higher profile 215/65 R15 tyres will help with that and raise the GC by 10mm.
Old 31st May 2018, 13:02   #476
BHPian

Am gong in for a change of my Yeti's (4x2) shoes and basis what the gurus have mentioned here, I understand that:
1. An upsize to 215/65/R16 from the stock 215/60/R16 is okay and doesn't impact general warranty or clutch performance. Even a narrower 205/65/R16 will be fine.
2. In the 215/65/R16 category, the Falken Wildpeaks are favoured. Michelin Latitude is on the expensive side and the Geos are essentially AT tyres good for more off roading.

I hope my conclusions are correct! Am based out of Mumbai - can someone refer a good place to get the Falkens? Thanks a ton for all the suggestions and advice!
Old 31st May 2018, 14:48   #477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul-on-4wheels View Post
Am gong in for a change of my Yeti's (4x2) shoes and basis what the gurus have mentioned here, I understand that:
1. An upsize to 215/65/R16 from the stock 215/60/R16 is okay and doesn't impact general warranty or clutch performance. Even a narrower 205/65/R16 will be fine.
2. In the 215/65/R16 category, the Falken Wildpeaks are favoured. Michelin Latitude is on the expensive side and the Geos are essentially AT tyres good for more off roading.

I hope my conclusions are correct! Am based out of Mumbai - can someone refer a good place to get the Falkens? Thanks a ton for all the suggestions and advice!
Go for the Falken Wildpeaks in 215/65 R16, you will be happy with them and they will also improve the ride quality. I Had them on my Yeti last (before I sold it) and they had run 20K kms and had another 30K kms easily left.
Old 31st May 2018, 15:22   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Go for the Falken Wildpeaks in 215/65 R16, you will be happy with them and they will also improve the ride quality. I Had them on my Yeti last (before I sold it) and they had run 20K kms and had another 30K kms easily left.
Thanks, Behemoth! Anyone from Mumbai who can lead me to a dealer who keeps these? Thanks!
Old 1st June 2018, 10:55   #479
BHPian

Quote:
One more question (stupid as it may sound), @Behemoth - if I am going to upsize to a 65, then I will have to include the spare in my replacement, right (means 5 instead of 4)? Given that the current tyres are all 60. And if I do, does the spare 65 sit well in the space for the spare tyre? Meanwhile, I have reached out to Tyrex @ Mulund, Mumbai for the Wildpeaks. He is quoting Rs 6800 per tyre. Need to physically check then out. Thanks!

Last edited by soul-on-4wheels : 1st June 2018 at 11:01. Reason: Missed out on the dealer information in my original post. Thought this information will be useful.
Old 1st June 2018, 11:08   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul-on-4wheels View Post
One more question (stupid as it may sound), @Behemoth - if I am going to upsize to a 65, then I will have to include the spare in my replacement, right (means 5 instead of 4)? Given that the current tyres are all 60. And if I do, does the spare 65 sit well in the space for the spare tyre? Meanwhile, I have reached out to Tyrex @ Mulund, Mumbai for the Wildpeaks. He is quoting Rs 6800 per tyre. Need to physically check then out. Thanks!
Keep a spare from your current 215/60 R16 size - that will work just fine with speed limited upto 80kmph. The 215/65 R16 tyres also fit in the spare tyre wheel well but they are a tight fit and slightly raise the boot floor by 1 inch. With the 215/60 R16 tyre the boot floor sits normally.
6800 is a good price if you are able to get it at that. Do confirm that the tyres are not older than 9 months and have been kept properly.

Most Viewed