Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2019, 10:29   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I am lookout for a new set of tyres for my Yeti. Currently, it has Michelin latitude Tour HP (215/65 R16) and ran around 30,000 kms. Though there are good enough tread left for another 10,000 kms or so, I am keen to change them because of frequent punctures I encountered this year. Though have no complains about the Michelins, I am interested in a bit harder compound tyre, but equally silent and as good as the Michelin latitude one. Any suggestions?

And I am also contemplating to go for a wider tyre, in 235/60 R16, as I want more grip.
Old 18th November 2019, 23:10   #512
BHPian

I just changed my tyres to primacy SUV tyres. Immediate feedback was softer ride. I moved from geolander at tyres they were noisy from day 1 but sad pary was it developed cupping which resulted in howling noise. I realised that ht tyres are best for my use and was looking at falken but couldn't find in stock anywhere in Hyderabad.
Old 19th November 2019, 00:49   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
I just changed my tyres to primacy SUV tyres. Immediate feedback was softer ride. I moved from geolander at tyres they were noisy from day 1 but sad pary was it developed cupping which resulted in howling noise. I realised that ht tyres are best for my use and was looking at falken but couldn't find in stock anywhere in Hyderabad.
Glad I didn't go for AT as my usage is 100% on normal roads. HT is the best compromise between AT and comfort tyres!

By the way, I got a good offer on Continental Cross Contact LX2 in 235/60 R16 size from a dealer in Delhi at Rs 6200 a tyre, after trading in the old Michelins. The Conti's are of Nov 2018 make. Other dealers in NCR were quoting 9K to 10K a tyre for that size, so this was a bargain.

On paper, 235 cross section seems like a big margin from 215, but it fills up the wheel well quite nicely and in my opinion, enhance the stance of the Yeti. Besides the looks, this 235 should translate into better grip, handling and cornering too. On the contrary, this will result in lesser mileage and possibly, larger braking distance. Hoping the pros will outshine the cons. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by iTNerd : 19th November 2019 at 00:50.
Old 1st December 2019, 11:06   #514
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Abbey4u - HT is best for normal usage patterns which are predominantly in the city.

Itnerd - I would seriously hesitate to go 235 size - thats the size needed for Scorpio and such. The Yeti's entire handling, ride and suspension physics will be compromised I feel.
Old 24th August 2020, 13:54   #515

Hello From 20XX
Any updates on this thread?

Going in for the 2nd replacement at 80k kms on my 2011 Yeti - with an 80/20 profile on Mumbai roads and the occasional monsoon trip incountry.

From this conversation, I'm looking at
Falken Wildpeak 215/65
Michelin Primacy 4 215/60

Any tips on how to check for freshness, etc?
And do you know of a good dealer in Mumbai South/Central?

Thanks so much
Amitabh
Old 27th January 2021, 15:33   #516
M35
BHPian

I am looking to replace the existing tires on my Yeti. Currently running on continentals (oversized, 235 60 R16). Though they can last another 20000km or so since the ride is getting a bit harder, I m thinking of going back to the stock size 215 60 R16. The wider tyres have given me excellent grip though.

Michelins are not available anywhere. There is a set of Continental UltraContact in Kochi at 8200/piece. Also, in Palakkad, there is a ready stock of Yokohama Blueearth but old stock (2018) at 7200/piece. I prefer to go with the Continentals but would like to know how does the Yokos perform compared to the Continental UC! Please suggest
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:48   #517
BHPian

I have a 2014 4x4 model.
The tires are pretty old though they've not run much thru the lockdowns. Age-wise the set is over 6 years old and now, I am looking at replacing them with a group of AT rubber. Given the choices of AT variants in stock size, I'm, looking at these two:

Yokohama GEOLANDER G012
Goodyear Wrangler AT SilentTrac

If I were to upsize a bit, maybe this one:
Ultra Mile UM 4X4 A/T BULL in 225/60/16

My use cases have been the weekend drives into a few light trails in the outskirts - climbing up the service tracks to the wind farms near Channrayapatna or Hassan, Kailashgiri trails near Chintamani, etc. I understand that AT rubber may be noisier than road-biased treads, but given Bangalore road conditions these days, perhaps would not make too much of a difference. Weekdays, a short commute to and from the office.

My current set is an older Continental Contimax MC5s. These are surprisingly good on the loose stuff but when there is an incline with pebbles to ruts to contend with, the limits are quickly noticed, though the Yeti's hill decent and traction control do a pretty good job to keep things steady.
I've been reading thru the pages about the weaker sidewalls on the Goodyears and am a bit weary of that. Any known issues with the Yokos or Ultra Mile?
Old 23rd September 2022, 11:03   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsndirt View Post
I have a 2014 4x4 model.
The tires are pretty old though they've not run much thru the lockdowns. Age-wise the set is over 6 years old and now, I am looking at replacing them with a group of AT rubber. Given the choices of AT variants in stock size, I'm, looking at these two:

I've been reading thru the pages about the weaker sidewalls on the Goodyears and am a bit weary of that. Any known issues with the Yokos or Ultra Mile?
You should upsize your tyres to 215/65R16 as that size fits the Yeti well and also improves the ride quality. This was what I had on my Yeti for close to 4 years (out of total 7 years of my Yeti ownership). In this size you will find a lot more variety of good tyres.
My recommendation will be for Michelin Primacy SUV in this size. They are truly the best and will substantially reduce noise, Improve comfort and perform well.
The second option is Conti Cross Contact - these are also good tyres.

Avoid the Geolanders are they are very noisy. The Ultramile ones are also not great and no comparison to Michelin or Continental.

Last edited by Behemoth : 23rd September 2022 at 11:05.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 11:38   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You should upsize your tyres to 215/65R16 as that size fits the Yeti well and also improves the ride quality. This was what I had on my Yeti for close to 4 years (out of total 7 years of my Yeti ownership). In this size you will find a lot more variety of good tyres.
My recommendation will be for Michelin Primacy SUV in this size. They are truly the best and will substantially reduce noise, Improve comfort and perform well.
The second option is Conti Cross Contact - these are also good tyres.

Avoid the Geolanders are they are very noisy. The Ultramile ones are also not great and no comparison to Michelin or Continental.
Thanks.
Michellin may be tough to get given the current situation but will enquire.
For Continental Conti Cross Contact, is that the ContiCrossContact AT? They seem to have a few variants in the Conti Cross Contact.
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:31   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsndirt View Post
Thanks.
Michellin may be tough to get given the current situation but will enquire.
For Continental Conti Cross Contact, is that the ContiCrossContact AT? They seem to have a few variants in the Conti Cross Contact.
I meant the Conti Cross Contact LX2 which is a hybrid pattern (not pure AT). This can perform well for your use case.
Continental CONTICROSSCONTACT LX 2 215/65 R16 102H Tubeless Car Tyre https://amzn.eu/d/5klbUvu
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 14:02   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I meant the Conti Cross Contact LX2 which is a hybrid pattern (not pure AT). This can perform well for your use case.
Continental CONTICROSSCONTACT LX 2 215/65 R16 102H Tubeless Car Tyre https://amzn.eu/d/5klbUvu
Installed Conti Cross Contact LX2 and have been driving that for the last couple of months. Took the Yeti on a family trip covering 650 Kms thru some bad patches thru the western Ghats and back. The tires feel good.

Driving dynamics changes a little bit with the height but the grip was there. I did not feel it was lacking thru the fast turns, nor the switchbacks where the tarmac gave way to complete dirt patches.

The only thing I did wrong was go with a set of suspension dampeners that suggested saving the life of the struts. Sure, the Yeti felt better on the highways and thru the sweeping turns but suffered a bit on the rough bits. And there were a lot of rough bits. Now, those dampeners are taken off.

Next time, maybe some trails up the local hills. Nothing serious, just some light fire trails for the Yeti to enjoy.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th December 2022 at 14:05. Reason: Adding paragraph breaks for better readability

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks