Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 19:09   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Hi Nikhil, GTO,
Please suggest a solution for my dilemma! I am keen to take my Yeti to Leh but do not want to take it on stock tyres due to the risk of sidewalk failure. The sidewalls of the stock Goodyear tyres seem to be weak and would suffer damage in off road conditions. Can you suggest any good AT tyres in the stock size of 215/69 R16 (which are available in India). Most of the AT tyres I found in the Gurgaon area were 215/65r16. The difference in circumference is 3.24%. Need your help and advice. Thanks!
Old 28th July 2011, 20:32   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Nikhil, GTO,
Please suggest a solution for my dilemma! I am keen to take my Yeti to Leh but do not want to take it on stock tyres due to the risk of sidewalk failure. The sidewalls of the stock Goodyear tyres seem to be weak and would suffer damage in off road conditions. Can you suggest any good AT tyres in the stock size of 215/69 R16 (which are available in India). Most of the AT tyres I found in the Gurgaon area were 215/65r16. The difference in circumference is 3.24%. Need your help and advice. Thanks!
Behemoth, your fear appear to be well founded. I noticed damaged to sidewalls of one of the tires a couple of days back. I have posted the pictures on the following thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-pg-8-a-8.html

I too am looking out for for all-terrain tires. But just as you say the size available is 215-65-R16 and not 215-60-R16.

Well AFAIK a 3.26% increase would mean that speed will go off a bit. But the speed indicator in Yeti anyway over-reads a bit and that will get compensated.

I'd be however a bit concerned with the warranty and insurance issues though.
Old 29th July 2011, 14:26   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Sushil,

I have raised the tyre issue very strongly with Skoda India and also escalated it some senior management of the company. We will need a lot of pressure from all the Yeti owners to make this change possible (to better tyres) and for existing users to swap tyres (at reasonable cost). Please also push your case very hard. I would also request the other Yeti owners : Pramod, GloryManUnited and Invinsible's cousin to also take a stand on the unsuitability of the Goodyear excellence tyres for the Yeti , especially in Indian real world conditions.

Thanks,
Sameer (Behemoth)
Old 16th November 2011, 21:45   #19
BHPian

Skoda Yeti - Which Tyres for Replacement

This topic has been discussed in different ownership threads for Skoda Yeti. So far the Yeti has been without any major issues, except stock tires - Goodyear Excellence in the size 215-60-R16.

I have experienced major side cuts in two tires - one on a tyre that had run 16000 km and the other on 300 km. This in spite of careful driving.

While the stock are good, while they last, there is a sort of consensus on BHPians who own the Yeti that it really needs a tires which are more suitable for Indian road conditions - perhaps a set of A/T tires or something that is more suitable.

Some of us plan to head for Leh - either in June or September of 2012. We think that the stock tires could prove to be a show stopper.

The problem is that the choice of tires is extremely limited in the stock size. There appears to be difficulty with import of tires due to some regulations that prohibits the import of non ISI tires.

While there is greater choice available for 215-65-R16, but this increases the diameter by 3.25% and ride height by 2cm. In itself an increase in ride height by 20mm may not be bad thing, as it increases the GC from 180mm to 200mm.

The questions that I am trying to explore are:

1. Given the vehicle and constraints what are the choices in stock size?

2. How prudent would it be to increase the size to 215-65-R16? How would this impact the ride and handling? Would there be any issues with suspension? How would this change affect torque as gear ration would also change - albeit a little?

3. Any other alternatives?

Last edited by SushilBajpai : 16th November 2011 at 21:46.
SushilBajpai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 06:18   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i was casually enquiring about tyres for the Yeti at Madhu's here in Bangalore. They mentioned that only Goodyears were available as of now in this size. I ve seen some Yeti's (in pictures) in Europe with nice Continental AT sort of tyres.
Taking a cue from you I wrote to some of the chaps at Skoda but so far no reply - they appear to be busy running about the country and launching the Rapid etc as of now I think.
But being relatively youngish chaps in the Skoda India Senior Management, I dont think they are as circumspect about replying to consumers as perhaps the M&M guys are (basis my experience).
I am going to remind them once again and ask them frankly if they are too busy to reply or what!
cheers

Quote:
Hi Sushil,

I have raised the tyre issue very strongly with Skoda India and also escalated it some senior management of the company. We will need a lot of pressure from all the Yeti owners to make this change possible (to better tyres) and for existing users to swap tyres (at reasonable cost). Please also push your case very hard. I would also request the other Yeti owners : Pramod, GloryManUnited and Invinsible's cousin to also take a stand on the unsuitability of the Goodyear excellence tyres for the Yeti , especially in Indian real world conditions.

Thanks,
Sameer (Behemoth)
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 08:41   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i was casually enquiring about tyres for the Yeti at Madhu's here in Bangalore. They mentioned that only Goodyears were available as of now in this size. I ve seen some Yeti's (in pictures) in Europe with nice Continental AT sort of tyres.
Taking a cue from you I wrote to some of the chaps at Skoda but so far no reply - they appear to be busy running about the country and launching the Rapid etc as of now I think.
But being relatively youngish chaps in the Skoda India Senior Management, I dont think they are as circumspect about replying to consumers as perhaps the M&M guys are (basis my experience).
I am going to remind them once again and ask them frankly if they are too busy to reply or what!
cheers
Hi Shankar,
Some of the options which I have been able to find here in Gurgaon in the stock size are: Michelin Primacy LC, Goodyear Turanza and Goodyear Excellence and Fuel assurance plus.
However, all of these are normal car tyres and not suited for off road use at all. What we will need are either Yoko AT/S or HT/S or Michelin Latitude Tour HP / Latitude Cross etc in the stock size. Still waiting for the correct size to be available in these options.
Other closest option which I could find is Pirelli P6 in 225/55 R16 size which is around 1.25% smaller in OD. These are fitted to BMWs as OEM tyres in runflat variants (different sizes).
Skoda Management just is too busy with Rapid and it is very difficult to elicit a response from them! Even our experience with M&M senior management has been very positive and much more helping in attitude than Skoda.
Anyway, let's keep trying to find the right tyres and hope that the tyre companies start importing them soon! Hopefully with the 4x2 the volumes should increase so that the opportunity for the tyre manufacturers is bigger.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 1st December 2011, 09:27   #22
BANNED

yup.
Sure if this 4x2 takes off properly then there will be a cascading effect on Yeti parts, tyres and what have you. Easier availability and greater choice for sure are two corollaries to greater adoption.
cheers

Quote:
Anyway, let's keep trying to find the right tyres and hope that the tyre companies start importing them soon! Hopefully with the 4x2 the volumes should increase so that the opportunity for the tyre manufacturers is bigger.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 1st December 2011, 10:26   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

It is really sad to see this situation. First of all, the Yeti's size (215/60-16) is a weird size. 215/65-16 is a common size and normally you have Latitude Tour HP, Geolandars available in this size.

215/60-16 is an unusual size being made only by one company and that too in a car-pattern. 215/60-16 is also available from Yoko in a model called the A348. It's the OEM tyre on a Camry. However, even this is in short supply from the company.

The situation is exacerbated due to the ISI mess....

Honestly, this one issue will make me stay away from a Yeti for the time being. You will be held captive by Skoda. Youy'll be forced to use car tyres on a heavy almost-SUV.
Old 1st December 2011, 10:31   #24
BANNED

lets see how long these first set of tyres last, with my kind of usage patterns and care patterns.
Im sure I will be able to extract a good 3 years life from them
atleast.
by then Im sure there will be more options. Else, one can always try and work with someone to import a few tyres if one needs them that badly I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
It is really sad to see this situation. First of all, the Yeti's size (215/60-16) is a weird size. 215/65-16 is a common size and normally you have Latitude Tour HP, Geolandars available in this size.

215/60-16 is an unusual size being made only by one company and that too in a car-pattern. 215/60-16 is also available from Yoko in a model called the A348. It's the OEM tyre on a Camry. However, even this is in short supply from the company.

Honestly, this one issue will make me stay away from a Yeti for the time being. You will be held captive by Skoda. Youy'll be forced to use car tyres on a heavy almost-SUV.
Old 1st December 2011, 11:01   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
lets see how long these first set of tyres last, with my kind of usage patterns and care patterns.
Im sure I will be able to extract a good 3 years life from them
atleast.
by then Im sure there will be more options. Else, one can always try and work with someone to import a few tyres if one needs them that badly I guess.
In my case, I don't foresee my tyres lasting more than 25K Kms / 2years . Currently they are at 14.5 k Kms /1 year. The treads are at 2 mm above tread wear indicators and almost 50% of the tread is gone. Though I have had no punctures so far, but I have had small sidewall cuts (without air leakage) on two tyres. These tyres are really soft and have good grip, but they wear out fast and are prone to sidewall damage.

Nikhil - need your advice on the UTQG rating that we should look for in replacement tyres. The current Goodyear Excellence are 240 A A rated and quite soft. What is the minimum UTQG we should look for, without losing grip..?
The Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max are 540 A A (IIRC!), which makes them quite hard.

Thanks!
Old 26th December 2011, 20:59   #26
BANNED

The Yeti's sold in Europe come with Continental tyres as far as I know.
Also, those Yeti's come with a more off-road type of tyre which will probably be longer lasting than the ones sold here in India.
Any recommendations for new tyres? Worth doing some research well in advance, in my book, though my tyres are brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

Old 27th December 2011, 12:52   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

No recommendations. Too early! You will need tyres 2 years down the line. I can never say what tyres/brands/models will be available at that time.

I suggest you dont ponder about such things! Just enjoy your car!
Old 27th December 2011, 13:14   #28
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Currently due to ISI mark issue a lot of tyre sizes that are normally available are itself in short supply.

A 3.25% increase in Dia should practically be quite fine for the Yeti. It is a stable vehicle and the composure should not be too effected by that upsize. Skoda though may disagree with this if there is a suspension related component coming up for a warranty claim.

As the ISI issue gets sorted out the avalability of tyres a year down the line should be much better.

Michelin tour latitudes and Yoko AT are nice if available in the size desired.

Last edited by ACM : 27th December 2011 at 13:20.
Old 27th December 2011, 21:25   #29
BANNED

I popped in to the Michelin Tyre Empire shop nearby today. They also stock and sell other makes of tyres.
They told me about one Bridgestone Tyre which is available and can if necessary be ordered.

Bridgestone 215/60/16 95H ER370 Tubeless. Product Code: PSR0325/337/409. Rs 8250/- each.
Just FYI.
Old 28th December 2011, 12:30   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm confident other companies will have better options at better prices a year down the road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks