Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 11:14   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd
Finally, got new shoes on my yeti

The tread are thick and I am hoping it would take rough roads with ease. Initial impression is very positive. Very minimal road noise. And I can feel the grip has improved manifold. Handling even beyond 120+ kmph is good. And looks good too
Good going. These tyres are very suitable for the Yeti and should be good on road as well as for mild offroading. Could you share the source and the price for the benefit of other yeti owners who would be looking for a change of tyres.
Thanks!
Old 5th July 2012, 15:45   #92
BHPian

re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Tyres looks fantastic. It looks like the right tyre for Yeti.

Have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Finally, got new shoes on my yeti

The tread are thick and I am hoping it would take rough roads with ease. Initial impression is very positive. Very minimal road noise. And I can feel the grip has improved manifold. Handling even beyond 120+ kmph is good. And looks good too
Old 5th July 2012, 16:28   #93
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone! phew!! I think I must have contacted every tyres dealers in Delhi for C drives, but none have it, except for one dealer, who only had 3 pieces. Then tried conti CPC2, and even that is not available. Worried I was, I asked my accessories guy if he can scan the market and arrange some AT or HT tyres, for the Yeti. In few minutes, he called me to say, one importer has Yoko Geolander, but these tyres are noisy and are grey import. Instead they recommended the decibel tyres for comfort. Anyway, I asked to confirm the size, because, even in changemytyre.com, there were no Geolander HT in Yeti's size. After agreeing to the buy back amount (Rs 5500 each for the 4 tyres and 3000 for the space saver, total I paid Rs. 11500 for 5 tyres - actual market price is around 7300 a piece), I fixed the next day for swapping the tyres.

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-4.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-5.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-6.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-7.jpg

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-8.jpg

I must say, I was very nervous of zeroing on Geo HT, because there was no reference point for these Geolander HT and all I read are some reviews from some international websites. My main worry is if I would get stuck with a tyre with too much road noise, or with soft sidewalls. It is also rated 95H, which is the same as the stock GoodYears ones. The only respite was that geolanders come as OEM tyres in Land Cruisers in India, and that gave me some consolation, in that, if one of the best offroaders comes with Geos tyres, it must be something

Last edited by iTNerd : 5th July 2012 at 16:44.
Old 5th July 2012, 17:14   #94
Senior - BHPian

I was unable to get the UTQG rating of this specific 215/60/16 size. But in the yoko spec sheets, its written between 460 to 500. How much is the UTQG rating for the tyres you have changed? Does higher UTQG means better tyres?

Quote:
The Geolandar H/T-S comes with a 60,000 Mile Limited Tread Warranty on Standard (GO51) applications. The tire is available in 50, 60, 65, 70, and 75 aspect ratios in rim diameters ranging from 15"-20". Sizes also include 30x9.50R15 and 31x10.50R15. The Geolandar H/T-S carries UTQG Rating between 460/AA/A and 500 A/B depending on the size.
Old 6th July 2012, 21:04   #95
BHPian

Today it was my turn to go with yoko geo tyres. Thanks to iTNerd i got it changed from the same dealer. Similarly also went for dension five bluetooth module. It can also be switched off and the system will behave like stock factory
Old 6th July 2012, 21:19   #96
BHPian

Quote:
I was unable to get the UTQG rating of this specific 215/60/16 size. But in the yoko spec sheets, its written between 460 to 500. How much is the UTQG rating for the tyres you have changed? Does higher UTQG means better tyres?
This is what i got from HowStuffWorks "How Tires Work"

This is what i got. Of course the size tested here not 215/60 16

Features & Specs - Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051
Size tested P265/70R17
Speed rating S
Treadwear warranty 60000
UTQG treadwear 500
UTQG traction A
UTQG temperature B

Tread Wear: This number comes from testing the tire in controlled conditions on a government test track. The higher the number, the longer you can expect the tread to last. Since no one will drive his or her car on exactly the same surfaces and at the same speeds as the government test track, the number is not an accurate indicator of how long your tread will actually last. It's a good relative measure, however: You can expect a tire with a larger number to last longer than one with a smaller number.
Traction: Tire traction is rated AA, A, B or C, with AA at the top of the scale. This rating is based on the tire's ability to stop a car on wet concrete and asphalt. It does not indicate the tire's cornering ability. According to this NHTSA page, the Firestone Wilderness AT and Radial ATX II tires that have been in the news have a traction rating of B.
Temperature: The tire temperature ratings are A, B or C. The rating is a measure of how well the tire dissipates heat and how well it handles the buildup of heat. The temperature grade applies to a properly inflated tire that is not overloaded. Underinflation, overloading or excessive speed can lead to more heat buildup. Excessive heat buildup can cause tires to wear out faster, or could even lead to tire failure. According to this NHTSA page, the Firestone Wilderness AT and Radial ATX II tires have a temperature rating of C.

Going by these numbers it looks to be reasonably good tyre.
abbey4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 09:53   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Today it was my turn to go with yoko geo tyres. Thanks to iTNerd i got it changed from the same dealer. Similarly also went for dension five bluetooth module. It can also be switched off and the system will behave like stock factory
Great going! Any initial impression on the handling and driving characteristics after the switch?

And as for the UTQG rating, if it is 500 then it is almost twice than the stock goodyear ones. So, the geos should last twice as much? According to Yoko's site in US, the yoko geo HT comes with 60,000 miles warranty on the tread, which would be approx 96000 kms. Isn't that too much for any tyre to last?

Last edited by iTNerd : 7th July 2012 at 09:57.
Old 7th July 2012, 20:45   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Great going! Any initial impression on the handling and driving characteristics after the switch?

And as for the UTQG rating, if it is 500 then it is almost twice than the stock goodyear ones. So, the geos should last twice as much? According to Yoko's site in US, the yoko geo HT comes with 60,000 miles warranty on the tread, which would be approx 96000 kms. Isn't that too much for any tyre to last?
Initial impression is good. It started raining yesterday so couldn't get enough time to drive in dry condition. However i do experience less road noise especially over the bumps (reflector fitted one). And driving in wet condition gives me good amount of confidence (may be slowly i am getting used to but i didn't had this confidence a day before)
Old 10th July 2012, 21:14   #99
BHPian

Hi behemoth, do you know any yetian having apollo accelere maxx 225/60/16, I trying to source it before i take delivery. although in my heart i would like a 225/50/17
Old 11th July 2012, 15:56   #100
BHPian

hey All!

spoke to a friend of mine who is a very honest Tyre dealer.

he gives the following quotes:
1. CONTINENTAL : CON-215-60-R-16- 99VXL –T/L = is not available.
2. BRIDGESTONE : BS-215-60-R-16-ER-370-T/L = Rs.8550.00
3. MICHELIN : MC-215-60-R-16-PRIMACY-LC-T/L = 9300.00
4. YOKOHAMA : YK-215-60-R-16-C-DRIVE-T/L= is not available.
5. YOKOHAMA : YK-215-60-R-16-A-348-R-T/L= Rs.7740.00

according to him, Michelin Primacy LC's are best suited along with Bridgestone Turanza's, as they are comfort Tyres and hence noiseless. He says that the general idea that these Tyres are prone to sidewall damage on account of their softness is a misconception. ofcourse he says that the tyre life of these tyres is lesser than harder tyres. if your looking for low road noise and comfort then these are the tyres go in for.

he also conveys that all tyres have almost the same sidewall strength and as far as yeti is concerned, for the Normal occassional offroader, these tyres should be ideal.

in his opinion Geolander HT's are quite Noisy, and not very well suited to the Yeti.
Old 11th July 2012, 16:41   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinoctober View Post
Hi behemoth, do you know any yetian having apollo accelere maxx 225/60/16, I trying to source it before i take delivery. although in my heart i would like a 225/50/17
Hi Twinoctober,

None that I know of. Instead of upsizing to 225/60 R16, you can also consider the smaller size of 225/55 R 16, which is also available in the Apollo accelere maxx range. With this profile, the cornering and grip will improve.

Apollo ACELERE MAXX :: Change My Tyre

This is only marginally (1.25%) smaller in OD than the stock size and should also be fine.
A larger tyre 225/60 R16 will also not fit the the spare wheel well (have tried this!) so in case of a puncture you would need to put it in the boot.

Regarding Michelin Primacy LC, they are good tyres (I have these on my Laura) but they don't have any aggressive tread blocks (which are vital for off road grip) and completely road-biased tyres, designed for low noise and comfort. For the Yeti it will be better to have tyres with broader & deeper tread blocks for improved grip in offroad conditions and preferably harder, to bear the brunt of offroad use.

In terms of UTQG, tyres with UTQG higher than 300 for treadlife will last longer, but are harder, noisier and also lack grip in fast cornering. Tyres with UTQG less than 200 are very grippy tyres (typically for sports sedans with high power) but don't last very long. Softer tyres also make less noise. For a car like Yeti a UTQG of 300 and above is good, as the NVH insulation of the Yeti is also good and you won't get much tyre noise.
This is however a broad generalization and different factors like tread design and construction material affect the noise level to a large extent.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 11th July 2012 at 16:48.
Old 11th July 2012, 16:53   #102
BHPian

Ok thats good info that the 225/60 will not fit in the tyre well.
Today i sourced the 225/60 finally. Now i am in two minds whether to go with 225/60 or 225/55 ..hmmmm
I was quite happy to gain the 6mm GC than to loose 5mm GC.
tyre not fitting in the tyre well is an issue when travelling with family.

You have got me thinking ...
Old 11th July 2012, 16:55   #103
BHPian

Oh i must admit that the thread pattern of apollo looks good.
Old 12th July 2012, 11:55   #104
BHPian

How about Bridgestone Turanza GR90. Seems like a good tyre, but on the expensive side (~ Rs.11,400 in BLR). If i had not got the Pirelli, i would have taken this option.

I'm sure it will be available in all Metro (it is available in BLR) in 215-60-R16.
Old 12th July 2012, 12:23   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contessa View Post
How about Bridgestone Turanza GR90. Seems like a good tyre, but on the expensive side (~ Rs.11,400 in BLR). If i had not got the Pirelli, i would have taken this option.

I'm sure it will be available in all Metro (it is available in BLR) in 215-60-R16.
I have seen the GR90 too and it is definitely not worth it. It is a noiseless car tyre designed along the lines of Michelin Primacy LC and anyday between the Bridgestone GR90 and the Primacy, I would pick the Michelin eyes closed and the fact that it is also much cheaper (avl at around 8700 in the stock size) also helps.
One of the other ideal tyres for the Yeti (apart from the ones already discussed) is the Michelin Latitude Tour HP in stock size - This will be ideal for the Yeti. I have seen it in 215/65 R 16 size, and internationally it is sold in 215/60 R16 size, but not imported in India in this size.

Regards,
Behemoth

Most Viewed