Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 10:30   #136
Team-BHP Support

re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

I can now say with authority that Skoda chose the worst tire/manufacturer for the Yeti.

The Good Years were lousy. Forget performance for a bit. The road noise & ride was completely shot.

With this upgrade, the Car is completely transformed. Where earlier, it used to crash rudely through potholes & bridge joints were felt, now it glides over most irregularities ( as much as a monocque compact SUV with awesome handling should).

We were given an option to chose from regular Bridgestone (the pattern as OE for Scorpio/Safari), Michelin & Maxxis.

While Michelin & Bridgestone were available in 215/65 R16, Maxxis was available in 235 section. The shop keeper insisted that there won't be any issue as it isn't very wide, still...Michelin won the battle.

The damage was Rs. 12,000 X 4 = Rs. 48,000 (tried to bargain, but he didn't budge)

Bridgestone & Maxxis were pegged at ~ Rs. 9,000 per tyre. Nothing from Yokohama at the moment.

Filled in slime as well (liquid sealant) Cost Rs. 800 per tyre.

No buy back as size is odd :(

Our only concern is, hope it holds up at the construction sites it frequents. And under constructed roads & proposed sites with no roads.

Drove it for ~ 200 kms, in evening with rain for company. No issues.

As per the website, this is the tire it seems

Pictures -
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0013.jpg  

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0015.jpg  

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0016.jpg  

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0017.jpg  

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0018.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 28th May 2013 at 14:25.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 12:28   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I can now say with authority that Skoda chose the worst tire/manufacturer for the Yeti.

With this upgrade, the Car is completely transformed. Where earlier, it used to crash rudely through potholes & bridge joints were felt, now it glides over most irregularities ( as much as a monocque compact SUV with awesome handling should).
Hi Sheel,

Congrats on the upgrade, you will feel a huge difference with the Michelins. Just ensure that you also upgrade your spare (keeping one of the original tyres) to the 215/60 R16 size, as the original spare of 195/60 R16 will no longer be suitable, as the difference will be too high between the 215/65 R16 tyres and the 195/60 R16.
The 215/60 R16 tyre will still fit in the spare wheel well, while 215/65 R16 tyre will not fit.
Regards,
Behemoth
Old 28th May 2013, 14:17   #138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Congrats on the upgrade, you will feel a huge difference with the Michelins. Just ensure that you also upgrade your spare (keeping one of the original tyres) to the 215/60 R16 size, as the original spare of 195/60 R16 will no longer be suitable, as the difference will be too high between the 215/65 R16 tyres and the 195/60 R16.
Tried it on Sunday (the day, new tires were fitted) but in vain.

The floor of the boot doesn't fit in, if 215 section is used.

Though have got all the 3 tires in stock.
Old 28th May 2013, 14:50   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

215/65R16 Michelin costs 12000???
Car maintenance costs are going through the sky....

Did you say that Maxxis has 235/60R16 available? I am looking for this size for quite some time now for my Tucson but nothing is available so the Tuc is running 215/65/R16 which is the default size in India.

Note: I am running Yoko Geolandar ATs and 215/65R16 costed me Rs.8200 per tyre in July 2011. Did you consider MRF wanderers? I am told they are also available for ~8500/tyre...
Old 28th May 2013, 14:52   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tried it on Sunday (the day, new tires were fitted) but in vain.

The floor of the boot doesn't fit in, if 215 section is used.

Though have got all the 3 tires in stock.
I would still recommend that you keep the 215/60 R16 as the spare in the boot. It will fit, though the boot floor will be raised up by around 1.5 cm and will be slightly open.
Try reversing the tyre in the boot - I have seen that when the tyre is kept with the rim outside side upwards, it sits lower and the cover sits a little lower, compared to if the rim outside is kept on the lower side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
215/65R16 Michelin costs 12000???
Car maintenance costs are going through the sky....

Did you say that Maxxis has 235/60R16 available? I am looking for this size for quite some time now for my Tucson but nothing is available so the Tuc is running 215/65/R16 which is the default size in India.

Note: I am running Yoko Geolandar ATs and 215/65R16 costed me Rs.8200 per tyre in July 2011. Did you consider MRF wanderers? I am told they are also available for ~8500/tyre...
Michelin Latitude tour HPs are available for around 10,800 in Gurgaon, but I guess in Purnea where Sheel is based, they would be really difficult to get and would command a premium,

Last edited by Behemoth : 28th May 2013 at 14:55.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 15:01   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The damage was Rs. 12,000 X 4 = Rs. 48,000 (tried to bargain, but he didn't budge)
Have tyre prices gone up recently? I paid around 24k (plus exchange of brand new tyres as I went straight from showroom to tyreshop) in August last year. That should be about 35k or slightly lower for 4 tyres in total because I got 3,600 per tyre in exchange (I think - dont remember exactly).
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 20:26   #142
BHPian

Quote:

Pictures -
Congrats on the upgrade. No issues regarding warranty?

I have fitted the full size tire in the dicky and it is a pain taking it out .
Carcrazy60 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 10:00   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would still recommend that you keep the 215/60 R16 as the spare in the boot. It will fit, though the boot floor will be raised up by around 1.5 cm and will be slightly open.
Try reversing the tyre in the boot - I have seen that when the tyre is kept with the rim outside side upwards, it sits lower and the cover sits a little lower, compared to if the rim outside is kept on the lower side.
Tried both ways. Didn't work. Though even we are thinking to keep the 215 section in the boot.

Shall do so :-)

Quote:
Michelin Latitude tour HPs are available for around 10,800 in Gurgaon, but I guess in Purnea where Sheel is based, they would be really difficult to get and would command a premium,
I procured them from Siliguri, West Bengal. Siliguri is 180kms away, whereas Patna would be 350+ (via good roads). Yokohamas have made it to Purnea market. Rest other local brands.

Seems dealer got around Rs. 500 more per tire than the market price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Have tyre prices gone up recently? I paid around 24k (plus exchange of brand new tyres as I went straight from showroom to tyreshop) in August last year. That should be about 35k or slightly lower for 4 tyres in total because I got 3,600 per tyre in exchange (I think - dont remember exactly).
The biggest stumbling block in places like this is resale of tires in this weird size. There are very few Laura/camrys around. And shop keeper said, that if a customer approaches, I can't suggest him a 2nd hand tire, unless he/she demands which is highly unlikely. Hence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
Congrats on the upgrade. No issues regarding warranty?

I have fitted the full size tire in the dicky and it is a pain taking it out .
Which ones did you upgrade to? Sorry if I missed it earlier.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th May 2013 at 10:01.
Old 29th May 2013, 10:11   #144
BHPian

Quote:

Tried both ways. Didn't work. Though even we are thinking to keep the 215 section in the boot.

Shall do so :-)

Which ones did you upgrade to? Sorry if I missed it earlier.
I bought just one as 7000 Kms was a little too early to replace all of them. I got the Bridgestone Ecopia, which was the only one available in this crazy size in Patna.
Carcrazy60 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 13:25   #145

Quote:

Hello Behemoth,

I have just joined TEAM-BHP and I have been a regular follower of many posts, I have read the Yeti Tyre Upgrade thoroughly more than once and have have learnt a lot from all the discussion.

However I am not getting a good answer for my self. I also own a 4x4 elegance model of the Yeti and have clocked close to 27K now.

I did my research and found one size very close with only +1.28% difference which is 205/65 R16, Pirelli Scorpion STR are available in this size.

What's your take on this? I have also attached a comparison picture for some sizes.

Looking forward to your expert comments. And, I also fancy going to Leh taking the Manali Leh route once I have new shoes on the Yeti.

Thanks,
Nisarg
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-yeti-tyre-upgrage-guide.jpg  

Old 30th May 2013, 15:46   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisarg80 View Post
Hello Behemoth,

I have just joined TEAM-BHP and I have been a regular follower of many posts, I have read the Yeti Tyre Upgrade thoroughly more than once and have have learnt a lot from all the discussion.

However I am not getting a good answer for my self. I also own a 4x4 elegance model of the Yeti and have clocked close to 27K now.

I did my research and found one size very close with only +1.28% difference which is 205/65 R16, Pirelli Scorpion STR are available in this size.

What's your take on this? I have also attached a comparison picture for some sizes.

Looking forward to your expert comments. And, I also fancy going to Leh taking the Manali Leh route once I have new shoes on the Yeti.

Thanks,
Nisarg
Hi Nisarg,

Welcome to TBHP and happy to help!
If you are getting Pirelli 205/65 R16 STR in India, go for it. These are good tyres and also within the acceptable size limit.
Some differences in handling which you will feel:
1) Steering will become a little lighter as cross section is slightly less
2) Ride comfort will improve as aspect is higher
3) Grip will remain similar, though in sharp cornering, the car may lose a little grip due to smaller contact patch
4) Handling in snow will be better as smaller section tyres are better in snow

All the best and do share the prices that you are able to get.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 17:06   #147

Quote:
Hi Nisarg,

Welcome to TBHP and happy to help!
If you are getting Pirelli 205/65 R16 STR in India, go for it. These are good tyres and also within the acceptable size limit.
Some differences in handling which you will feel:
1) Steering will become a little lighter as cross section is slightly less
2) Ride comfort will improve as aspect is higher
3) Grip will remain similar, though in sharp cornering, the car may lose a little grip due to smaller contact patch
4) Handling in snow will be better as smaller section tyres are better in snow

All the best and do share the prices that you are able to get.

Regards,
Behemoth
Hi Behemoth,

Thanks for your inputs, I saw this size on the Pirelli India website, I will now contact the local dealers and update once the installation is completed.

Regards,
Nisarg
Old 30th May 2013, 17:22   #148

Quote:

The Good Years were lousy. Forget performance for a bit. The road noise & ride was completely shot.

We were given an option to chose from regular Bridgestone (the pattern as OE for Scorpio/Safari), Michelin & Maxxis.

While Michelin & Bridgestone were available in 215/65 R16, Maxxis was available in 235 section. The shop keeper insisted that there won't be any issue as it isn't very wide, still...Michelin won the battle.

Bridgestone & Maxxis were pegged at ~ Rs. 9,000 per tyre. Nothing from Yokohama at the moment.

Filled in slime as well (liquid sealant) Cost Rs. 800 per tyre.

No buy back as size is odd :(

Our only concern is, hope it holds up at the construction sites it frequents. And under constructed roads & proposed sites with no roads.

Pictures -
Hi Sheel,

Congrats! I must say its a great choice as you have just thrown the confusion off the roof and have followed your heart.

I am in a similar dilemma and may I learn a few things from you? It would be great if you could help me with a couple of queries on the upgrade.

1. Did you check with Skoda guys before going for 215/65? Will your warranty be still be valid?
2. A few pointers on how the ride has changed would be great. Do you face any challenges with this size (215/65 R16)?

Regards,
Nisarg
Old 30th May 2013, 19:13   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisarg80 View Post
1. Did you check with Skoda guys before going for 215/65? Will your warranty be still be valid?
No, I did not.

If Skoda can source variety of tires in 215/60 R16, then most who have upgraded here, would have gone with Skoda, but instead they chose a lousy, Car tire, whose belt starts to rust. That tire was prone to puncture as well.

Quote:
2. A few pointers on how the ride has changed would be great. Do you face any challenges with this size (215/65 R16)?
Quote:
I did not face any issue/challenge with this swap.

BTW, Welcome to the forum

And please use the multi-quote option when replying within 3 mins :-)

If you need more clarification, am sure me & others can chip in further :-)
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 20:08   #150
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

If you keep the rim face facing down it will become prone to plenty of surface scratches unless you damp it with a thin cloth or something.
However, the need is clear. In India it is best to be prepared with a full size spare rather than the half size one that the Yeti comes with.
I really find that of late I am noticing the car crashing through these blighted Bangalore bumps and lateral cuts and trenches in the road. Im wondering if I should just change my tyres and be done with it to enjoy a better ride! The cost is putting me off since the vehicle's current tyres have at least another year's life in them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks