Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:20   #181
Team-BHP Support

re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Sheel had put Michelin Latitude Tour HPs on his Yeti in 215/65 R16, which have gone nearly bald in 25K Kms - will this upsize really bring down the life from expected 40K to 25k, or are the Michelins too soft?
I haven't clocked 25K on Michelins. Michelins have put about 5K as of now. One tire is gone, but will give it the benefit of doubt.

While the tire is silent, I frankly don't see any increase in grip, the road manners for me are the same. Braking as well as handling.
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:49   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I haven't clocked 25K on Michelins. Michelins have put about 5K as of now. One tire is gone, but will give it the benefit of doubt.

While the tire is silent, I frankly don't see any increase in grip, the road manners for me are the same. Braking as well as handling.
Thanks for the update Sheel! I realized that it was Steeroid who had clocked 25K on the Michelins and not you. Still will be good to hear your experience too.
How did one tyre get damaged?
After my experience too with the Yokos (lost one tyre to sidewall damage at 20K) I am also contemplating India tyres instead. Tyres are also becoming so expensive now and if they don't last beyond 25K kms, it may not be worth it to go for expensive imported ones.
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:15   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Still will be good to hear your experience too.
How did one tyre get damaged?
After my experience too with the Yokos (lost one tyre to sidewall damage at 20K) I am also contemplating India tyres instead. Tyres are also becoming so expensive now and if they don't last beyond 25K kms, it may not be worth it to go for expensive imported ones.
Tires are expensive for Yeti because of the weird size. Hopefully with Duster, Eco-Sport, Terrano, things might get better as far as choice & prices go.

There were rocks where the Car was traversing. I was not in the Car & it was chauffeured, hence can't really comment.

I personally would stay away from Yoko because of side wall issues.
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:48   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I havent used the Michelin Latitude Tour HP. It may have worn out in 25k kms due to many reasons but I wont be surprised that the tyre is really that soft! It is a tyre aimed at comfort and grip and not at long life.
It is a soft and grippy tyre, yes. Very confidence-inspiring at high speeds.

Despite the 25k wear-out, I would buy it again. Harder tyres are about 2k-ish cheaper, I figure my life is worth > Rs.8K, and about 15k kms "extra" mileage.
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:59   #185
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

It is a soft and grippy tyre, yes. Very confidence-inspiring at high speeds.

Despite the 25k wear-out, I would buy it again. Harder tyres are about 2k-ish cheaper, I figure my life is worth > Rs.8K, and about 15k kms "extra" mileage.
I am hardly driving the Yeti these days. Just about 800kms per month, no more.
With this low usage and almost all of it within the city, I am wondering whether to expend the 45K on the new tyres because my OEM ones are in near perfect condition...
Old 8th September 2013, 14:41   #186
BHPian

I've been using the Pirelli P6 (Standard Size) for a little more than a year now. Its been a good experience so far.

Done about 22k Km so far and looks like it will last a lot more. The ride is far superior to stock GoodYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
The Falken Azenis is a high performance tyre. Sidewalls will be soft and it will not be very good for the Yeti.

The Pirelli P7 should be good though.
contessa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 13:22   #187

Hello All,

My yeti has clocked 30K Kms now and the very thought of changing tires and changing them to good AT tires is eating a lot of my time.

In effort to find out more details I ended up speaking to some one at ATMA (Automotive Tyre Manufacturer's Association of India) (http://www.atmaindia.org/), the person on other side was extremely helpful in giving all the information, during the conversation he confirmed that the tires that are not domestically manufactured can be imported and there is an exemption list which we can refer before importing. According to DIPP (Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion) (http://www.dipp.nic.in/) there are 316 items which are exempt from the BIS marking rule for imports, I did a lot of web digging and ultimately found the office memorandum of this exemption list.

And guess what Sr.No 83, item number 4.40 says 215/60 R16 95V!!!!!
Read some more details on this here: http://taxandregulatoryaffairs.wordp...es-from-india/

I have also attached the memorandum here. I am now thinking of going to the airport and speaking to some custom officials to see if the import is possible and whether it will be hassle free or not.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf list_tyres_08september20112.pdf (641.3 KB, 341 views)
Nisarg80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 01:13   #188
BHPian

Hey guys,
My yeti has covered 44700 kms on the stock Goodyear Excellence and i am pretty happy with the performance,it has not had a single puncher or any other faults to complain about.i got the wheel alignment done every 5k kms n rotation at every 10k kms n balancing at 15k.tried importing Yokohama ht tyres in the stock size from tirerack.com but its proving to be expensive(950$ including shipping for 4 tires+customs extra)will stick to the Goodyear it if i don't find a suitable replacement by this weekend,which is when the car is due for servicing.
Old 17th October 2013, 06:53   #189
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakneck View Post
Hey guys, My yeti has covered 44700 kms on the stock Goodyear Excellence and i am pretty happy with the performance,it has not had a single puncher or any other faults to complain about.i got the wheel alignment done every 5k kms n rotation at every 10k kms n balancing at 15k.tried importing Yokohama ht tyres in the stock size from tirerack.com but its proving to be expensive(950$ including shipping for 4 tires+customs extra)will stick to the Goodyear it if i don't find a suitable replacement by this weekend,which is when the car is due for servicing.
Pop over to Madhus in Langford Road and ask them for Yeti tyres. You will get them there at a fair price. I ve hardly done much mileage in my Yeti. It is almost 2 years old and I have just done about 19500 kms. I dont think I will be up for a change in a hurry, but when I do change, I will definitely try and go for a better tyre than the Stock Goodyears because they are not all that great. They are functional and thats about it really. Being of a hard ish compound, they give a stiff ish ride too.
Old 17th October 2013, 07:12   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisarg80 View Post
Hello All, My yeti has 95V!!!!! Read some more details on this here: http://taxandregulatoryaffairs.wordp...es-from-india/ I have also attached the memorandum here. I am now thinking of going to the airport and speaking to some custom officials to see if the import is possible and whether it will be hassle free or not.
The memorandum seems to suggest that only OEM's will be allowed to import tyres. Are you sure individuals can do so?
Old 17th October 2013, 19:31   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
The memorandum seems to suggest that only OEM's will be allowed to import tyres. Are you sure individuals can do so?
The person I spoke to at ATMA (Automotive Tyre Manufacturer's Association of India) did tell me that I can import. But if I do it will do it only once I check personally with the airport officials at the customs department.
Old 3rd November 2013, 11:32   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a pic of the Bridgestone ER370 tyres on my Yeti which I have put on the rear axles. This is in the stock size and costed me 8400 per tyre. I replaced my rear Yokohamas with these as one of my Yokos had a sidewall tear.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131103_113217.png
Views: 1841
Size:  883.8 KB

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd November 2013 at 11:34.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 18:43   #193
BHPian

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_8158.jpg

Well, its been a while since I've posted anything on Teambhp. Haven't been active in the recent past, close to a year actually. My apologies. Anyway, I've always been unhappy with the stock Goodyear Excellence tyres. Although they had good acceleration characteristics, they were way too noisy and suffered from offering a harsh ride on the already stiffly sprung Yeti.The harsh ride has also resulted in the odd squeaks and rattles. Ive clocked about 25K on the OE tyres and I've got a road trip planned to Rajasthan later next month. There was till a considerable amount of tread left on the Goodyear's, but I thought it would be best to make the switch before my departure to make it a more pleasurable one. It was quite a task looking for tyres for the Yeti because of the odd size. Eventually, I chose the Falken Azeis PT722 All season Ultra High Performance touring tyres. I'd never heard of this brand before and I first came across it on http://www.changemytyre.com/Car/Tyre...NIS-PT722/3785. Looked up these tyres up on the internet and they seemed to satisfy all my criteria http://www.europeancarweb.com/tires/..._azenis_pt722/. So I went ahead and got them in the stock size for Rs 8200/- a corner. First impressions, they are spookily quiet(be it concrete or bad tar surfaces and even tiled surfaces) and offered better steering feedback. The tread pattern style isn't that aesthetically appealing but I can live with that. My monthly running is about 1100 Kms and hence I chose a Touring tyre. Will get back to you guys with the long term performance.
Old 7th December 2013, 08:44   #194
BANNED

Quote:
Here is a pic of the Bridgestone ER370 tyres on my Yeti which I have put on the rear axles. This is in the stock size and costed me 8400 per tyre. I replaced my rear Yokohamas with these as one of my Yokos had a sidewall tear.

Hi
How do you find these tyres?
My stock tyres are still good for another 10K Kms at least. This means around one more year of driving about on them.
Is there any option at all for a slightly more rugged tyre for the Yeti? Given the state of Bangalore roads, I do not want to invest in a soft compound tyre which will be shredded on these horrible surfaces that we drive on daily.
Old 7th December 2013, 09:52   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hi
How do you find these tyres?
My stock tyres are still good for another 10K Kms at least. This means around one more year of driving about on them.
Is there any option at all for a slightly more rugged tyre for the Yeti? Given the state of Bangalore roads, I do not want to invest in a soft compound tyre which will be shredded on these horrible surfaces that we drive on daily.
They are quite strong and before mounting I had checked the sidewalls, they are much thicker than the Yoko's. They are also made in India and ISI marked, so I would think they are better conditioned for the Indian driving situations. Tyre noise is also low (similar to the Yoko's), and much lower than the OEM Goodyears. I would recommend them definitely given the condition of Bangalore roads- In fact I was there just this week (wed-Fri) and I was really surprised to see how bad the roads have become with construction going on just about everywhere. I have been visiting Bangalore since 1998, and what a different city it was then.. it used to be a city of Gardens and now its just a city of traffic! Sorry for the OT!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks