Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2010, 17:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Posting this on behalf of my cousin who is expecting a Skoda Yeti to be delivered to him soon. The OE tyres that comes on Yeti is 215/60/R16 Goodyear. In most case would be looking at upsizing the wheels and tyres to 17" but 18" are also in mind and tyre size looking at is 235/50/R17. for 17" and 235/45/R18 incase of 18". The overall diameter comes to 666.8 on 235/50/17 whereas on 235/45/18 is 668.7 against the OE spec which comes to 664.4.

Tyres choices will be based on

1. Grip / Handling.
2. Comfort.
3. Should be capable to handle some offroading or some bad patches.

What are the choices?

Last edited by Invinsible : 8th December 2010 at 17:08.
Old 8th December 2010, 17:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: SKoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade

The Yeti already comes with a stiff ride at lower speeds, it would not be a good idea to get bigger rims if Ride on bad roads or no roads is important. Also the risk of getting a tire damage also goes with bigger rims.
Old 9th December 2010, 11:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Yeti already comes with a stiff ride at lower speeds, it would not be a good idea to get bigger rims if Ride on bad roads or no roads is important. Also the risk of getting a tire damage also goes with bigger rims.
That's true. However this couz is extremely careful when driving with low profile tyres. For instance he has been driving civic since 3 years done 52000kms on 225/45/R17 tyres but damaged only a single tyre due to bubble on the sidewall. Apart from that changed the tyre due usual wear and tear.
I suppose 235/50/R17 should be fine on the Yeti.

Here's some of the All season tyres that could be looked at but I guess will need to import them since they aren't sold here.

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Last edited by Invinsible : 9th December 2010 at 11:59.
Old 10th December 2010, 10:13   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Having comprehensively tested the Yeti, I can tell you that the stock tyre size offers the perfect balance in ride & handling. The chassis has immense poise, hence I don't see the need for additional grip. If you insist, I'd say a 225 patch but on 16 inch wheels only.

The Yeti already has a stiff low speed ride, which will only get harder with 17 inch wheels. 18's should be unthinkable for an AWD soft-roader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible;2167986tyre size looking at is [B
235/50/R17. [/b] for 17" and 235/45/R18 incase of 18".
Either is within a 1% difference and hence, should not pose any compatibility issues.
Old 10th December 2010, 10:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

re: SKoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Either is within a 1% difference and hence, should not pose any compatibility issues.
That's true will not add much error to the speedo reading / gearing.

Well he in any case plans to change the rim coz of it's looks and been thinking of upgrading it to atleast 17". 225/50/17 should be fine in my opinion too. However, his choice is going for 235/50.
The Rims will coming in through import. looking at lighter alloy wheels thats lighter than the Stock rims which should add advantage to the steering and ride.

Am not sure if there's any tyre choice for 225/50 or 235/50 thats available here.

Last edited by Invinsible : 10th December 2010 at 11:01.
Old 23rd December 2010, 23:18   #6
BHPian

Skoda Yeti Tyre Brand/ Size Swap

Greetings!

I expect delivery of my Yeti next month. I'm a Michelin guy (despite their terrible aftersales support), so I plan to swap out the Goodyear Assurance rubber for Michelin Primacy LC. We don't expect to do much off roading, so the typical 4X4 rubber will just burn more diesel unnecessarily.

Internationally, the Yeti is sold with two 16" tyre sizes - 205/60 R 16 (Yeti Greenline) and 215/ 60 R 16 (OEM size in India).

In the interests of fuel and cost savings, would it hurt to swap the 215/60 to the 205/60? Would doing so negatively impact ride quality?
Screwdriva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2010, 14:16   #7
BHPian

After driving nearly 2,000 km on the Goodyear Excellence tyres that came with the Yeti, I can vouch that I have observed no issues so far. The road noise is less than Yokohoma tyres, on my friends Outlander, grip fine, and ride fairly comfortable particularly with the recommended tyre pressures (32 psi front and 35 psi rear). The FE is incredible - 20 kmph on highways, 15 kmph in city (Pune). I don't see any great value in changing the tyres.
Old 25th December 2010, 15:55   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Please don't go in for the primacy LC for the yeti. The yeti is a heavy car borderin on being an SUV. The Primacy LC will not be suitable with it's soft sidewalls. Also, the LC is a car tyre. Not an SUV tyre.

As for the OP's query, I don't think there are many tyre options available in the sizes he is looking for.
Old 25th December 2010, 16:58   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
The road noise is less than Yokohoma tyres, on my friends Outlander, grip fine, and ride fairly comfortable particularly with the recommended tyre pressures (32 psi front and 35 psi rear).
It would not be a fair comparison since the Yeti would certainly have better sound insulation than the Outlander, being a European car.
Old 25th December 2010, 19:42   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the input guys. You're right, the Primacy LC is more of a road tyre but the 16 inch size OE for some larger (and heavier cars), so I'm not too worried about the weight (only 1500 kgs)

The soft sidewalls may actually help with the low speed ride absorption - atleast that's the thought.

Again, its very unlikely that the car will see anything but the tarmac and maybe some unpaved roads. No offroading per say.
Old 26th December 2010, 13:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

One could also opt for Yokohama ATS or HTS along Goodyear Wrangler tire in stock size. However road noise will be slight an issue.
Old 29th December 2010, 16:52   #12
BHPian

Will there be any downsides to reducing tire width from 215 to 205/60 R16?
Old 29th December 2010, 17:06   #13
BHPian

^^
Why would you want to do that ? Just 'In the interests of fuel and cost savings' ?
What is the differential you will have to pay for the tyre swap and then compare it with negligible (if any) savings on FE.

I would rather prefer to stick to OE, provided they serve the purpose well.
We dont need to swap out OE tyres all the time
Old 19th April 2011, 13:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Plan to upgrade the wheels and tyres on the Yeti ( White ). Need suggestion
Wheel choice is OZ Racing Ultraleggera 17". Color Choice : Black or Matte Graphite Silver ??
Since the wheels are extremely light weight I guess it will aid in better responsive steering, handling, with little effect on ride quality.

Tyres Choice : 225/55/R17
Continental ContiCrossContact UHP
Continental Tyres -ContiCrossContact™ UHP

Michelin Latitude tour HP
MICHELIN Latitude Tour HP | 4x4 Tyres | MICHELIN UK
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-o.z.racing_ultraleggera_black_painted.jpg  

Last edited by Invinsible : 19th April 2011 at 13:50.
Old 19th July 2011, 09:06   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Everyone,
Need some advice from the team-bhp community. I have a Skoda Yeti and am based in Gurgaon. I am looking to upgrade the tyres of my Yeti to proper AT tyres. The challenge is that I am unable to get AT tyres in any brand in the stock size 215/60 R 16. The size which dealers are offering to me is 215/65 R 16. I checked on the tyre difference calculators online and the difference in the OD is 3.24%. There does seem to be enough space in the wheel well to accommodate the tyres, though I am wary about the warranty getting invalidated.
Need help from team-bhpians on where I can get good AT tyres in the stock size. The tyres I am open for are Yokohama Geolandar AT-S, Goodyear Wrangler HP, Michelin Latitude Tour Cross etc.

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks