Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2010, 13:43   #1
BHPian

Zen Estilo - Suggestions and opinions for tyre please!!!

Hello all,

I need little help here, my estilo is 3 years old and done 30K kms. Tyres seem in good condition, for tread depth as well as side wall cracks. Recently, due to unfortunate conditions, both driver side wheels of the car climbed on road divider (not so high may be 5-6 inches) at around 50 km/h. This was for brief time of 2-3 seconds, then I drove the car off the divider. I did not stop to check the damage since it was rush hour and there was dense traffic. Next day car started to vibrate violently above 50 km/h speeds. I suspected the wheel and took it for balancing, where they told me the front driver side tyre has been damaged permanently and cannot be balanced. Reason being the tyre had gone weak and the divider thing rang its death bell. Right now I have put that tyre in spare.

Now is it safe to drive with these tyres or should I change them? They are stock MRFs. Do they get weak in 3 years/30K kms?

If yes what brand I should go in for? I see here most users have named Michelins the best, but they don't have stock size 145/70 R13. I don't want to upgrade for the sake of fuel efficiency. Should I go for bridgestone or ceat or MRF or something else?

One more thing is I want to put alloys, I have finalised NEO SLEEK 13". What will be the result of mating 145/70 R13 and NEO sleek 13", since standard rims are 4J and these alloys are 5.5J? Will the tyre protrude out side of wheel well?

Thanks
Old 15th December 2010, 17:21   #2
BHPian

re: Zen Estilo - Suggestions and opinions for tyre please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post

Now is it safe to drive with these tyres or should I change them? They are stock MRFs. Do they get weak in 3 years/30K kms?
Please get tires checked for any deformity such as bulges. If the tread & sidewall is fine and there are no bulges in the tire, I think you're safe. But if there's even a small bulge, replace the tire.

MRFs are supposed to be made of hard compound and have a long life. IMHO, I've found Michelin Energy XM1+ pretty good. Low noise, nice grip & good ride.
Old 15th December 2010, 19:46   #3
BHPian

Hey as you have finalized on putting alloy and planning to change tyres, I suggest you to go for upgrade.

I have matiz and I am using same 145/70 R13 tyres on new alloy. Due to 4J to 5.5J tyres looks puny and little GC is reduced, apart than this no other issues. But I regreat why I didn't upgrade tyres.

Also, don't worry about the FE as every petrol price hike reduced FE. Why only government reduces FE, let's do it by our own and enjoy what we want.
Old 15th December 2010, 23:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In general, the rubber in a tyre starts hardening up (and minor cracks start developing) after 3 years. I've seen that happening more in lesser used tyres. MRFs are hard compound tyres anyway. Now that you've been told that they're unsafe, do get them changed.

Quote:
If yes what brand I should go in for? I see here most users have named Michelins the best, but they don't have stock size 145/70 R13. I don't want to upgrade for the sake of fuel efficiency. Should I go for bridgestone or ceat or MRF or something else?
Not much option in foreign brands except some crappy Goodyears. AFAIK, Bridgestone makes a Turanza ER60 in that size. See if they are available.

Quote:
One more thing is I want to put alloys, I have finalised NEO SLEEK 13". What will be the result of mating 145/70 R13 and NEO sleek 13", since standard rims are 4J and these alloys are 5.5J? Will the tyre protrude out side of wheel well?
On a 5.5J wheel you shouldn't go lower than 155 width, really. Hey, why not go for a 155/70 R13 tyre in that case?. Its only 10 mm wider, and won't affect your FE much. Again, AFAIK Bridgestone makes one Turanza ER60 in that size too.
Old 16th December 2010, 00:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Zen Estilo - Suggestions and opinions for tyre please!!!

Is the rim alright? I suggest that you should get the rims checked too for any deformity.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:01   #6
BHPian

@Lordofgondor, there is no bulge or any deformity on any of the tyre.

@Predatorwheelz, any idea what 10 mm wide tyre will do to my FE?

@Technocrat, rim is all right, i got the rim balanced anyway.

Also I have been quoted 13.5K for 4 wheels by neo dealer. Is that ok price?
Old 16th December 2010, 16:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
@Lordofgondor, there is no bulge or any deformity on any of the tyre.

@Technocrat, rim is all right, i got the rim balanced anyway.

Also I have been quoted 13.5K for 4 wheels by neo dealer. Is that ok price?
We recently got Neo for WagonR at 12k for a set of 4. The model is Axis BMRL 13x5.5J.

Also, as you are going for 5.5J, why don't you change to 155/65 x 13 ?
Old 17th December 2010, 00:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing. Considering you're upgrading to tubeless tyres, and a lighter tire, the difference in FE will be negligible.
Old 17th December 2010, 11:27   #9
BHPian

@para_7k, is the fitting charges included in 12K? Did you use the stock wheel nuts?

Just a thought, can I use 145/70 R13 at front and 155/65 R13 at rear?

What will be the result?

Last edited by indianvirus : 17th December 2010 at 11:31.
Old 17th December 2010, 11:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
@para_7k, is the fitting charges included in 12K? Did you use the stock wheel nuts?

Just a thought, can I use 145/70 R13 at front and 155/65 R13 at rear?

What will be the result?
Nope, just the rims were 12k. We bought Anti Theft nuts for 800.

There were no fitting charges as we bought new tyres also and did WA, WB and filled Nitrogen.

Bigger tyres at the rear ? Your car will badly understeer.

The Nano has such a setup but with a purpose as it is rear heavy.
Old 20th December 2010, 11:02   #11
BHPian

@ para_7k, Will the difference of just 10 mm make it understeer so badly?

Guys I am still confused which brand of tyres to get? MRF, Bridgestone, michelins or something else? I have got mix response for michelin and bridgestone. I have used MRF so I know them well. What should I do?

Thanks

Last edited by indianvirus : 20th December 2010 at 11:03.
Old 21st December 2010, 17:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Guys, have a similar question, have 155/ 65 R13 Stock for my Zen Estilo Vxi.

My MRF dealer says that there are only 155/ 70 R13 wheels, and that MRF almost stopped manufacturing 155/ 65 R13.

My calculations show that the difference in the height would be 2.8%. Is that alright to go for 155/ 70 R13.

Would that be bad or good for my car, please help.
Old 21st December 2010, 21:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Guys, have a similar question, have 155/ 65 R13 Stock for my Zen Estilo Vxi.

My MRF dealer says that there are only 155/ 70 R13 wheels, and that MRF almost stopped manufacturing 155/ 65 R13.

My calculations show that the difference in the height would be 2.8%. Is that alright to go for 155/ 70 R13.

Would that be bad or good for my car, please help.
I have seen 155/70 x 13 on WagonR which haven't caused much issues. Your overall diameter increases by 16mm and I'm not sure if it will scrape your undersides of the wheel arch.

Stick to 155/65 x 13. 165/65 x 13 will be good but needs a rim change.

Out of curiosity: Why do you want to stick to MRF ? I agree they are good in life and durability but there are better tyres at the same price.
Attached Thumbnails
Zen Estilo - Suggestions and opinions for tyre please!!!-1.jpg  

Old 21st December 2010, 23:12   #14
BHPian

@ para_7k, hey mate, please make our life easier and make elaborated suggestion. Since you have mentioned we have better choices at same price, how about giving us the brands names so we can make the decision.

Thanks.
Old 21st December 2010, 23:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
I have seen 155/70 x 13 on WagonR which haven't caused much issues. Your overall diameter increases by 16mm and I'm not sure if it will scrape your undersides of the wheel arch.

Stick to 155/65 x 13. 165/65 x 13 will be good but needs a rim change.

Out of curiosity: Why do you want to stick to MRF ? I agree they are good in life and durability but there are better tyres at the same price.
Thanks for the comparison. Wanted to know what are the advantage of upgrading the % part? would that make a better impact or a worse impact on the drivability?

Well reason for going to MRF, as you are aware, I live in Camproad and there is MRF dealer quite nearby.
Moreover, I found the Bridgestone to be touch expensive. Would end up paying 2K more for all tyres. Also I have tube type and only brand good in tube type are MRF and Bridgestone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks