Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2010, 11:29   #1
BHPian

Tire swap on scorpio - Retain OE apollo or change

My scorp is due for delivery tomorrow , it is shod with Apollo Hawkz AT tires , was unable to get Bridgestone swap with dealer. Pls suggest .

a) shud i retain the same tires
b) Change to Bridgestone H/T or any other make . Couple of dealers are willing to take back apollo tires at 5600 per tire and bridgestone is costing 6800 each . If i change , i intend to change only 4 tires and retain sparewheel of apollo.

What is difference between A/T and H/T tires

Also pls suggest options for alloys.

Last edited by rm_arjuna : 30th December 2010 at 11:30.
Old 30th December 2010, 11:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tire swap on scorpio - Retain OE apollo or change

Bridgetone HT is good. But, not worth the 6000 bucks more than the Apollo you currently have.
Now, bring the michelins into the mix and that would tip the scales.
Old 30th December 2010, 12:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
My scorp is due for delivery tomorrow , it is shod with Apollo Hawkz AT tires , was unable to get Bridgestone swap with dealer. Pls suggest .

a) shud i retain the same tires
b) Change to Bridgestone H/T or any other make . Couple of dealers are willing to take back apollo tires at 5600 per tire and bridgestone is costing 6800 each . If i change , i intend to change only 4 tires and retain sparewheel of apollo.

What is difference between A/T and H/T tires

Also pls suggest options for alloys.
A/T is All terrain and H/T- highway ride.
No doubt all terrain is better but if i were you i will not change it on my scorp for this price difference.
I opted for HR alloys on my scorp and after running for 48k kms on the lousy JK OE tyres i upgraded to Apollo hawkz A/T 8 months back @ 19k for 4 tyres.
cheers

Last edited by PRADEEP KUMAR : 30th December 2010 at 12:32.
Old 30th December 2010, 13:01   #4
NFS
BHPian

I booked a scorpio VLX and the Sales dept told me that it now comes with Apollo Hawkz A/T and I insisted on Bridgestone Dueller HT. What is better? I know Apollo & JK has lesser life compared to Bridgestones, what say experts? Should I ask for Bridgestone or use A/T from Apollo?
Old 30th December 2010, 15:04   #5
BHPian

Apollo Hawkz are pretty decent tires at that price. Like Nitrous rightly said, if you're considering yoko's ? michelin then it makes sense to shell out the extra moolah. Else stick to hawkz until you wear them out.
Old 30th December 2010, 15:07   #6
BHPian

O.E alloys has 16 j X 6.5 width, aftermarket alloys vary from width of 7 / 7.5 / 8 . will this affect performance / handling in anyway or is there any adverse effect . guys pls suggest , need to decide at the earliest ...
Old 30th December 2010, 15:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
O.E alloys has 16 j X 6.5 width, aftermarket alloys vary from width of 7 / 7.5 / 8 . will this affect performance / handling in anyway or is there any adverse effect . guys pls suggest , need to decide at the earliest ...
Your might have issues of tyre rubbing the body with wider rims.
That said, the main culprit that causes the problem is the 'offset' of the rim.
Although, Negative (relative to stock value) offset rims look HOT, they will definitely create the above mentioned problem.

So, consider the offset value of the rim during purchase.
It is mentioned as a number after the letters "ET" on the rim, mostly on the inside.
Old 31st December 2010, 08:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

rm,

My suggestion is do retain the Apollo tyres as this will serve the purpose till around 45k on ODO for your new bride!

Go for nice warranty laden Alloys, this will give nice look to the black color you have decided!

Advance congratulations & Happy Motoring!
Old 31st December 2010, 08:29   #9
BHPian

one other imporant point to consider here is the warranty aspects.

When my bro bought the Scorpio SLE few days back in December 2010, we got JK on it even after specifically requesting for Bridgestone at the time of booking. He considered swapping with BS (outside dealership - as dealer outrightly denied any swaps) the cost factor came into picture. Also the dealership while denying the swap request mentioned that the tyre (make and model etc) are registered for each vehicle and any change to that would void the warranty of the vehicle. So even if you are planning to change to any tyre - PLEASE CHECK WITH DEALER/MAHINDRA on WARANTY ASPECTS!

Hope that helps
Old 31st December 2010, 08:43   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Mrf ?

@Arjuna - have you checked MRF Wanderers ? For the same spec as your OE tyres, you will get a wider foot-print than the OE / other tyres.

Quote:
narayanang76 : the dealership ... mentioned that the tyre (make and model etc) are registered for each vehicle and any change to that would void the warranty of the vehicle.
If I am correct, that warranty was for the tyres, not the vehicle. If you replace with the same size tyres, then the dealer cannot say anything atall. Your new tyres will be from another (tyre) dealer, who will give you the warranty that comes with the new tyres from the tyre manufacturer.

About the tyres you trade in, the final buyer will not get a warranty, though.
Old 31st December 2010, 22:58   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Note from Moderator: The OP has decided to retain OE apollo tires and has opted for OE alloys. Closing the Thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed