Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:22   #166
BHPian

re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I recently replaced the stock Aceleres with Michelin Primacy LC, 195/60 R15, on my new Vento. My main requirements were reduced road noise, ride & handling (in that order). More details in my Vento ownership thread.

Couple of questions:
- What would be the recommended pressure for these tyres ? Should I continue the same pressure I maintained for Aceleres ?
- Would there be any problems using the spare 175/70 R14 wheel ? Anyone done this ?

Apologize, if this is discussed earlier - went through the thread, but could not get clear answers.
Old 15th December 2012, 11:52   #167
BHPian

I hit a pothole, one of my 205/55/15 PP2s developed a slight bulge on it. They've done 20,000 kilometres and the thread depth looks good. I don't know if I'd be able to find a spare/old PP2 in the market. Is it safe to drive on? What are my options?
Old 15th December 2012, 12:34   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkid View Post
I hit a pothole, one of my 205/55/15 PP2s developed a slight bulge on it. They've done 20,000 kilometres and the thread depth looks good. I don't know if I'd be able to find a spare/old PP2 in the market. Is it safe to drive on? What are my options?
Is the bulge on the side wall or on the surface itself?
Old 15th December 2012, 12:37   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

The sidewall, hardly noticeable from a distance. I shall post a picture soon.
Old 16th December 2012, 17:56   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Here's the picture of the bulge. The car handles fine, just being extra careful on potholes caused by overnight meteors.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-image657397153.jpg  

Old 26th December 2012, 21:32   #171
BHPian

Just got my Vento TDI HL.

Can someone post feedback on Bridgestone MY01 & AR10 ?
The ER60s seem to be no longer in the market.

My top priority is the ability to withstand rough roads and avoid punctures. If possible should reduce the 'thud' effect. !

Cheers !
Old 27th December 2012, 01:42   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Can someone post feedback on Bridgestone MY01 & AR10 ?
I was trying to get ER60 for my Linea but couldnt get them, there is some shortage and i was told that i would have to wait till Jan which i couldnt. Some issue with Bridgestone.

Have MY01 on my Vento and they have completed 5000 kms, endured big craters and the worst of roads on a recent trip to Rajasthan and came out without a harm or even a puncture. They are good tyres, minimal noise, good looking tread pattern and Bridgestones are built to endure rough roads, had BS on our Scorpio and they lasted a good 75k kms without any issues.

My advice - please go for MY02 now if you are going in for these tyres. Got them fitted a few days back on my Linea and they are much much better than MY01 in all respect - reduced tyre noise, better braking, better cushioning on potholes. Its a better product than MY01.

MY series and Turanzas are premium offerings from BS, dont know about AR10 but you wont regret going in for MY01- or MY02, get them and drive tension free.

Quote:
My top priority is the ability to withstand rough roads and avoid punctures. If possible should reduce the 'thud' effect. !
I dont think there is any solution for THUDS, it would be there and the only way out i found was to reduce tyre pressure a little to reduce it.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 09:06   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
MY series and Turanzas are premium offerings from BS, dont know about AR10 but you wont regret going in for MY01- or MY02, get them and drive tension free.

I swear by BS too. However, no one seems to be speaking of the ecopia range which is there kn the website. Appears to be equivalent f michelin primacy lc types. A looking forward to those to swap on my vento. Anyone has any comments.
Old 27th December 2012, 11:49   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post

Cheers !
The dealers I talked to told me that BS has stopped making ER60s in the 195/60/15 profile. Even the Potenzas I think have met the same fate for this profile size. Both the Turanzas and Potenzas are sturdy tires. I have the ER60s on my old Zen and I like them. The Potenzas are performance oriented tires. Both the Turanzas and Potenzas have more road noise than their competition. But as coolboy07 has said don't expect the thud issue to go away. Its a feature of the Vento suspension .

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
My advice - please go for MY02 now if you are going in for these tyres. Got them fitted a few days back on my Linea and they are much much better than MY01 in all respect - reduced tyre noise, better braking, better cushioning on potholes. Its a better product than MY01.

I dont think there is any solution for THUDS, it would be there and the only way out i found was to reduce tyre pressure a little to reduce it.
I second that. No idea about the AR10 even. The only reason I didn't go with MY02 was I didn't find enough review feedback on TBHP or other sites. The Potenzas did have a lot of good feedback about their sturdiness and ability to dismiss real bad roads. I too am now observing the same. After enduring the Apollos and seeing how quickly they gave up after driving on some rough roads my mind was made up almost to get tires made of steel . The MY02 I guess would be more silent tires.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 21:35   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post
I recently replaced the stock Aceleres with Michelin Primacy LC, 195/60 R15, on my new Vento. My main requirements were reduced road noise, ride & handling (in that order). More details in my Vento ownership thread.

Couple of questions:
- What would be the recommended pressure for these tyres ? Should I continue the same pressure I maintained for Aceleres ?
- Would there be any problems using the spare 175/70 R14 wheel ? Anyone done this ?

Apologize, if this is discussed earlier - went through the thread, but could not get clear answers.
hi

would like to hear how are your new tyres behaving? i was considering these for my Rapid, however the delicate side wall issue has kept me in two minds.
Old 27th December 2012, 22:24   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
would like to hear how are your new tyres behaving? i was considering these for my Rapid, however the delicate side wall issue has kept me in two minds.
I am very happy with PLC. I have done couple of fairly long highway drives and I am convinced that i made the right choice. They are extremely silent and at 100-120 kmph I hear only the wind noise (no road noise at all) and the ride is extremely good. I wouldn't call the sidewall delicate - just that the side wall is softer. I just drive carefully over potholes, especially making sure that the sidewall does not scrape. I have been a Michelin user (have seen 3 pairs of xm1/xm1+) for several years and faced no issues.

If road noise and comfort is the priority and if you can drive carefully over potholes (I would be with any tyres, not just PLC), go with PLC. Else go with BS Turanza. I am not sure about durability of PLC, but the xm1/xm1+ variety I have used have given me about 40-45K Kms.
Old 27th December 2012, 22:37   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post
I am very happy with PLC. I have done couple of fairly long highway drives and I am convinced that i made the right choice. They are extremely silent and at 100-120 kmph I hear only the wind noise (no road noise at all) and the ride is extremely good. I wouldn't call the sidewall delicate - just that the side wall is softer. I just drive carefully over potholes, especially making sure that the sidewall does not scrape. I have been a Michelin user (have seen 3 pairs of xm1/xm1+) for several years and faced no issues.

If road noise and comfort is the priority and if you can drive carefully over potholes (I would be with any tyres, not just PLC), go with PLC. Else go with BS Turanza. I am not sure about durability of PLC, but the xm1/xm1+ variety I have used have given me about 40-45K Kms.
Thanks! that puts to rest a lot of concerns.
Old 27th December 2012, 22:49   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
Thanks! that puts to rest a lot of concerns.
Also check the thread "Michelin Tyre Woes: Fact or Fiction." Most people seem to be happy with Michelins, soft sidewall not withstanding! Ofcourse some people have had issues, but that would be true for any tyre, IMHO.
Old 2nd January 2013, 17:47   #179
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I upgraded last week on my Vento TDI HL stock apollo tyres 185-60-R15 to Bridgestone MY 02 195-60-R15. ODO meter reading was 42k and now have done 1000 km with the new tyres and they are smashing indeed!

I paid 21500 for 4 tyres including all taxes etc. in Pune and now the braking as well as driving confidence has drastically improved.

Tyre options considered for upgrade(descriptions here indicate the pros) -
http://www.bridgestone.co.in/SelectT...atio=60&dia=15

- Ecopia
- ER60
- Potenza G3 (out of stock possibly not manufactured anymore)
- Potenza MY02

I chose MY 02 against ER 60 as I tend to drive relatively fast at times and hence wanted absolute control with road grip while cornering and good tyre strength. Its a much better driving experience(last 1k) now with no noise issues. Drove on few bad roads and the control I get now is awesome as compared to my stock apollo's I had.

MY02 does compliment aggression with Vento so will surely recommend!

Thanks to all of you for valuable inputs.

Regards,
Nikesh
Old 8th January 2013, 15:09   #180
Senior - BHPian

nikesh, how does the MY02 sidewall fare in terms of stiffness, as compared to Yokos and the Michelins ? I guess it's a soft compound if it's comfort and grip oriented ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks