Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 11:53   #271
BHPian

re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2vm View Post
PC,
Did you get any update from the service guys about the tyre upgrade.
I wonder why VW makes anything impossible other than what comes with the car..
Service adviser did not comment on the tyre upgrade during my first service though he noticed and even when I mentioned that suspensions feel a bit too stiff. Warranty issues did not come up too. If you want play absolutely safe, stick to stock size and upgrade to better tyres, though I feel going with 195/60 or 205/55 should not be an issue. Many FMs have upgraded and I have not seen any issues mentioned in the forum so far.
pc73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 11:58   #272
Senior - BHPian

I am looking at Bridgestone AR 20. Any suggestions? I believe they should be durable for our conditions.
Old 8th January 2014, 12:51   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post
Service adviser did not comment on the tyre upgrade during my first service though he noticed and even when I mentioned that suspensions feel a bit too stiff. Warranty issues did not come up too. If you want play absolutely safe, stick to stock size and upgrade to better tyres, though I feel going with 195/60 or 205/55 should not be an issue. Many FMs have upgraded and I have not seen any issues mentioned in the forum so far.
I spoke with 2 VW service advisors - different states. They say that 205/55/15 will put more pressure to the suspension. Hence you will end up doing some repair/replacement later. If you have an extended warranty, then its a concern since it might void the suspension warranty.

You can upgrade to 195/60/15 (again - the data specs say that we will see a difference of 1.99%), but if you have full load in the car (backseat), then it will rub the body. That's their only point.

I think i will stick to the stock config - 185/60/15 to avoid unnecessary headache later.

Last edited by mail2vm : 8th January 2014 at 12:53.
Old 8th January 2014, 13:27   #274
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke with 2 VW service advisors - different states. They say that 205/55/15 will put more pressure to the suspension. Hence you will end up doing some repair/replacement later. If you have an extended warranty, then its a concern since it might void the suspension warranty. You can upgrade to 195/60/15 (again - the data specs say that we will see a difference of 1.99%), but if you have full load in the car (backseat), then it will rub the body. That's their only point. I think i will stick to the stock config - 185/60/15 to avoid unnecessary headache later.
It will be your decision finally but i have been running on Bridgestone 195/60/R15 since last 23000 kms. I changed my stock tyres at ODO 42k and up to now with ODO 65000 no problems in suspension reported till now.
nikesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 14:53   #275
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke with 2 VW service advisors - different states. They say that 205/55/15 will put more pressure to the suspension. Hence you will end up doing some repair/replacement later. If you have an extended warranty, then its a concern since it might void the suspension warranty.
I am not sure if suspensions are covered under extended warranty, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
You can upgrade to 195/60/15 (again - the data specs say that we will see a difference of 1.99%), but if you have full load in the car (backseat), then it will rub the body. That's their only point.
I have been running on 195/60 Michelin PLC for 14K Kms without any issue even on full load. There are quite a few Polo/Vento owners running on 195/60 and 205/55, but I have not seen any problem reported and I believe some have covered more than 50k Kms on upgraded tyres. Finally, it's your call and need.
pc73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 11:28   #276
BHPian

Hi,

Any tyre upgrade will be an extra pain for the suspension. Poeple upgrade mainly for better grip and sportiness. Its a known factor that you compromise on your milege for comfort and handling [say 1-2 kmpl].

When I planned for an upgrade, I was strongly advised to go for 205/55 rather than 195. The shortlisted ones were Michelin PS3 & Yokohama S Drive. PS3, when inspected was not as good as Primacy LC or XM2, both in life and handling. Its after all too noisy French rubber. Vento, being a noisy boy, I choose SDrive which performs exceptionally well in cornering and in gravel surfaces. Its much less noisy and is a better sporty option. I am yet to face the wet surface handling of it; but I am sure I wont have a regret

- Nikz.
Nikz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 16:31   #277
Senior - BHPian

I changed over to Bridgestone AR 20 195/60. Find the drive smooth now. No complaints on any front and need to see how it ages over time.
Old 30th January 2014, 16:35   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I changed over to Bridgestone AR 20 195/60. Find the drive smooth now. No complaints on any front and need to see how it ages over time.

Congrats... Mine MY02 is doing well since last 25k.
Old 12th February 2014, 10:36   #279
BHPian

Thanks All. Finally, i changed to Michelin XM2 (Stock size) I have been a happy customer with Michelin since long.I was informed that XM2 comes with enhanced side wall protection compared to XM1 - Not sure on how far its true.Road grip is awesome,but the tire noise is audible.
Old 13th February 2014, 09:52   #280
BHPian

I have been using 205/55/R15 Yokohama S Drives since day one and have been very happy with them till date. The car has clocked 70k kms and I am on my second set. Not because the tyres didn't last but I am paranoid and change tyres around 40-50k kms on all my cars.

The suspension is working just fine, handles beautifully and takes bad roads in it's stride.
Couldn't have been more happier.
The S drives do get a bit noisy after they wear out a bit and on concrete roads at high speeds, they create quite a racket.

But as far as handling and grip goes, no complaints whatsoever.
Old 7th March 2014, 21:42   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks All. Finally, i changed to Michelin XM2 (Stock size) I have been a happy customer with Michelin since long.I was informed that XM2 comes with enhanced side wall protection compared to XM1 - Not sure on how far its true.Road grip is awesome,but the tire noise is audible.
hi,
is the michelin xm 2 available in stock size 185/60 r 15?
if so how much do they cost pr tyre?

thanks in advance
Old 12th March 2014, 00:22   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by differential View Post
hi,
is the michelin xm 2 available in stock size 185/60 r 15?
if so how much do they cost pr tyre?

thanks in advance
yes, they are available in stock size 185/60.
I picked it from Madhu tyres, bangalore.
I think i paid around 23K for 4.
Old 20th March 2014, 08:58   #283
BHPian

I lost one of my stock tyres (185/60 R15) on the Vento in a puncture recently and read quite a bit on my options. I have done 11000 Kms.

Option 1
Purchase another Apollo of the same size

Option 2
Purchase 2 tyres (Apollo/Bridgestone/Michelin XM2) and use them in the rear of the car

Option 3
Purchase 4 tyres. I have short listed (needs are comfort and softer compound, no sporty pattern)

185/60 R15
Michelin XM2

195/60 R15
Yokohama dB V550
Michelin XM2
Michelin Primacy 3 ST

Use one of the good tyres as a spare on 15" steel Disc (could find a new one priced at INR 900). Do away with the 175/70 R14 tyre and steel RIM.

Some concerns I have
1. whether the option 1 will work and my experience has not been good with Apollo.

2. The XM2 tread looks really bland for the 185 profile. Any feedback from owners using this profile?

3. The deviation for 195 option upsize seems to be pretty high. Several people seem to be happy with that size. And I certainly have to upgrade my spare as it's a risky proposal to continue with 14".

I have read good things about the dB series and it's priced reasonably well too.

I'd be interested in hearing what you folks suggest as the best way forward.
Old 1st April 2014, 23:19   #284

I have to upgrade from the OEM Acelere for my Polo 1.6 Petrol, as the tyre shows signs of shredding (even at 19K). Am thinking of getting Vredestein, which comes in spec 195/60 R15 instead of the stock 185/60. But, most people on the forum suggest that the proper upsize for this car should be 205/55. So wanted to get an opinion on what practical issues I would face if I go for 195/60.

And as I am more inclined to go with Vredestein, would like to ask people for reputed tyre dealerships in Delhi which may stock this brand, as I seem to hit a blank wall in East Delhi.
Old 9th April 2014, 19:09   #285
BHPian

Well, I am now on to my 2nd set of tyres for Big Blue.

The first set , Primacy LC's at 195/60/15, went on the wheels at 47KM on the ODO on the day the car was delivered and ran till 60,563KM. There was still around 1mm of tread depth in the centre of the tyre after having run that distance but the shoulders were pretty worn, prompting the early change (I was originally planning to run them till the end of the month but got a small puncture/air loss in one tyre, so decided to go for the change all round).

As to performance, I can say with certainty that they were extremely comfortable and confidence-inspiring, well-suited to road driving in all weathers and most driving styles. Incidentally, I have only had two punctures, both in one tyre, both due to foreign body penetration, in all that distance.

Beautiful tyres. I sorely miss their passing.

On a happier note, I have moved to Primacy 3ST's all round at 195/60/15. Cost me Rs. 6,250/- each. Got them fitted yesterday and am now waiting for them to "scrub". Having run around 100KM so far, they seem a little slippery right now but I am reserving judgement till they clean up. Ride is pretty comfortable and silent. Roll on in neutral is impressive. The steering seems to have become lighter than I seem to recall with the PLC's.

All tyres were/are running on Nitrogen. Regular Alignment, Balancing and Rotation as close to every 5000 KM as possible.

Last edited by pillainp : 9th April 2014 at 19:18.

Most Viewed