Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:59   #331
BANNED

re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

update post purchase.

Changed tyres to 195 65 15 Michelin Primacy 3ST. Man, these tyres are great. Silent, smooth, soft and grippy. I was very keen on 205 55 15 as i wanted that fat look but after having michelin energy xm2 in my swift and liking them a lot i wanted to stay with the same brand. tyre dealer told me there is no 205 55 15 in michelin as of now but if it comes in the future i can upgrade to that size with a good buy back on the 3ST.

Some queries...

1. ST3 from dealer came with 32psi all around. they were silent and smooth but a bit jumpy. i changed them to 29psi at front and 26psi at back. Now it's smoother and more planted but a little noisy. how is this ? what psi are you guys maintaining ?

2. The tyre dealer place did wheel balancing but did not do alignment. I feel a very slight left pull. feels the steering tilts a just little to the left on its own. Is the alignment off and do i need to get wheel alignment done on a brand new car ?

Thanks.
Old 6th July 2014, 00:54   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
update post purchase.

Changed tyres to 195 65 15 Michelin Primacy 3ST. Man, these tyres are great. Silent, smooth, soft and grippy. I was very keen on 205 55 15 as i wanted that fat look but after having michelin energy xm2 in my swift and liking them a lot i wanted to stay with the same brand. tyre dealer told me there is no 205 55 15 in michelin as of now but if it comes in the future i can upgrade to that size with a good buy back on the 3ST.

Some queries...

1. ST3 from dealer came with 32psi all around. they were silent and smooth but a bit jumpy. i changed them to 29psi at front and 26psi at back. Now it's smoother and more planted but a little noisy. how is this ? what psi are you guys maintaining ?

2. The tyre dealer place did wheel balancing but did not do alignment. I feel a very slight left pull. feels the steering tilts a just little to the left on its own. Is the alignment off and do i need to get wheel alignment done on a brand new car ?

Thanks.
Im looking to change tyres on my vento. I was considering Michelin P3ST.

But I wanted to check with you on your tyre pressure issue and the noise. Did that sort out ?

Besides, since you have already used Michelin earlier can you tell me if there are issues of side wall damages with this brand ?

May I know what sort of driving you undertake ? I mean more of city driving , highways , semi urban or rural ?

Your previous tyres have travelled on good or pot holed roads ?

it will help me to better understand on Michelin.

Thanks.

Hi Manju and Newton Meter,

Since its been a while now you both have been on P3ST can you pls. share your experience ? Im taking the delivery of my car tomorrow and need to change. I would like to change to 195-60-15 P3ST ?

I need your advise on the sidewalls issue of Michelin. Are there any significant issues with P3ST on this aspect ?

Im concerned about sidewalls because I travel a lot inter-city / inter state and obviously come across multiple road conditions.

On the other points , I think P3ST has good reviews.

Last edited by bblost : 6th July 2014 at 10:21.
Old 6th July 2014, 10:32   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post

But I wanted to check with you oThanks.

Since its been a while now you both have been on P3ST can you pls. share your experience ? Im taking the delivery of my car tomorrow and need to change. I would like to change to 195-60-15 P3ST ?

congratulations!!

absolutely no issues so far. infact i maintain 32 front and 29 rear. its definitely much better rider than stock Apollo

make sure you check the manufacturing date. as these are made in Thailand, don't accept stock older than 3 months
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 11:13   #334
BANNED

Quote:

But I wanted to check with you on your tyre pressure issue and the noise. Did that sort out ?

Besides, since you have already used Michelin earlier can you tell me if there are issues of side wall damages with this brand ?

May I know what sort of driving you undertake ? I mean more of city driving , highways , semi urban or rural ?

Your previous tyres have travelled on good or pot holed roads ?

it will help me to better understand on Michelin.

Thanks.
i went to a tyre shop to set the right psi. i got out of the car and without any occupants first asked the guy to check the psi. front left was 30, front right was 28, rear both were 26. No wonder the steering was turning to left a bit. i dont know how this happened but i remember filling them up to 29 in front and 26 at back. but that time i was sitting in the car. maybe that makes a difference. i'm not to sure.

asked the guy to reset all four to 20 psi. then asked him to refill all to 32 psi. since then i've driven around 50 kms and i feel the steering to left is 95% sorted out. the reamining 5% might be psychological. i will have to drive around for a few more days to know for sure.

about the primacy 3st 195 60 15. these tyres are great. the comfort and ride quality is superb. it glides through every thing and the cushioning provided is excellent. the tyre noise is minimal. varies on different road surfaces but all in all very quiet. grip levels are great although i've not been able to try out cornering much. i'm going to try 28/30 to see if that gives me better handling on the polo.

i'm also using the xm2 on the swift a 185 70 14 and they are great too. have done trips from delhi to doon and back on various highways and intercity roads and they have performed very well. no issues faced till now. the 3st are though definitely superior to the xm2.

hope that helps. cheers.

Last edited by rana_kirti : 6th July 2014 at 11:14.
rana_kirti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 18:33   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
congratulations!!

absolutely no issues so far. infact i maintain 32 front and 29 rear. its definitely much better rider than stock Apollo

make sure you check the manufacturing date. as these are made in Thailand, don't accept stock older than 3 months
3 months? Come on! Be reasonable!! Just because they are made in Thailand, why 3 months? If it's made in USA will you accept 2 year old tyres?

Padcot Prakash - Get any P3ST. Dont pay attention to manufacturing date as they will all be new tyres. It's a brand new tyre and all the stock in our country is new itself.
Old 6th July 2014, 23:22   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
3 months? Come on! Be reasonable!! Just because they are made in Thailand, why 3 months? If it's made in USA will you accept 2 year old tyres?

Padcot Prakash - Get any P3ST. Dont pay attention to manufacturing date as they will all be new tyres. It's a brand new tyre and all the stock in our country is new itself.
Brother nikhil I meant don't accept tyres older than 3 months. I have got this excuse from vendors here stating made in Thailand, import time delays as excuses to clear old stock

I definitely didn't mean the way you seem to take my comment!

You are the king of tyres btw I got my 3ST which was 2 months old as for the reason which was stated to me.
Old 7th July 2014, 08:37   #337
BHPian

Quote:

I need your advise on the sidewalls issue of Michelin. Are there any significant issues with P3ST on this aspect ?

Im concerned about sidewalls because I travel a lot inter-city / inter state and obviously come across multiple road conditions.

My Vento has run 10K Kms including couple of long trips (1,500+KMs) and Many short bursts to Mysore. Here are my observations

1. Only one puncture, and the side walls are holding very well. I can recollect atleast 4 path hole hits at nearly 100kmph speed, and no issues seen, and everytime I expected that tyre would gave up, but didn;t.

2. Being soft rubber breaking is very good. Confidence inspiring.

This is my 4th set from Michelin (previous ones XM+ and PLC on Swifts) and I never had any issues with sidewall. After nearly 8 years and 1.4+L KMs on Michelin, I can tell you that I didn;t had even single sidewall issue with my tyres.

I would still rate PLC better than P3ST when it comes to breaking and tyre noise. I would recommend P3ST for Vento.

Last edited by manjubp : 7th July 2014 at 08:43.
Old 7th July 2014, 11:08   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Brother nikhil I meant don't accept tyres older than 3 months. I have got this excuse from vendors here stating made in Thailand, import time delays as excuses to clear old stock

I definitely didn't mean the way you seem to take my comment!

You are the king of tyres btw I got my 3ST which was 2 months old as for the reason which was stated to me.
Hehe. Dont bother about dates man. People talk a lot of BS without knowing.

An imported tyre can last upto one year. I personally believe anything upto a year old is ok.

I myself installed a set of 2 year old tyres on my car. They were 2 years old when I installed them. Now it's close to 3 years old. The tyres behave as good as new. This I did specifically to test this whole theory of "Dont buy older than 6months/1year old tyres".
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 21:06   #339
BANNED

Huge tyre dilemma...

posting this here as i feel this is the most active thread for vento polo and rapid since they have same specs.

here's my story.

before i knew i was going to buy the polo gt i knew i wanted 205 55 15. i got the polo gt about a week and a half back. i've used michelins xm2 before on my previous car and was very keen to buy michelin again. however i was sad to know that they were not available in 205 55 15.

So i had to settle with the next best 195 60 15 Primacy 3ST. I've been riding on them for a week. They are excellent tyres. supreme comfort with minimal road noise. the ride quality is awesome and the grip seems great though i have not been able to try cornering much in a new car. for most people this is the perfect tyre.

however they are bigger in size vs the oem 185 60 15 and also 205 55 15. and hence i'm not getting the sporty look that i was after. also because of the higher side wall i feel the car bobs and bounces a little bit during cornering.

i wish to have better handling and a bigger contact patch with the road to have more grip. also i feel 205 will add a little more weight to the steering for better control and improved road feedback. i want that more planted feel that i feel only 205 55 15 can give me. that sporty feel. i feel 205 will suit more to the potential of the car.

i read reviews here and other places and also test drove the GT before i bought it. but to actually live with it and drive it for some days made me realize that it is more than just a point A to B vehicle. i have only just realized it's potential. 2 weeks ago my requirements from a tyre was ride comfort, minimum noise and grip in that order but now its become grip, ride comfort and minimum noise.

here are options...

1. Switch to 205 55 15 in one of the available choices right now ( Hankook V8 RS, Kenda Komet, MRF Zlo ) and then switch over to michelin 205 eventually when they launch.

2. Wait for michelin to launch 205 55 15 and ride on 195 60 15 till then. i don't know how long this will take.

what say guys ?

cheers

Last edited by rana_kirti : 7th July 2014 at 21:22.
Old 8th July 2014, 11:41   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Huge tyre dilemma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
posting this here as i feel this is the most active thread for vento polo and rapid since they have same specs.

here's my story.

before i knew i was going to buy the polo gt i knew i wanted 205 55 15. i got the polo gt about a week and a half back. i've used michelins xm2 before on my previous car and was very keen to buy michelin again. however i was sad to know that they were not available in 205 55 15.

So i had to settle with the next best 195 60 15 Primacy 3ST. I've been riding on them for a week. They are excellent tyres. supreme comfort with minimal road noise. the ride quality is awesome and the grip seems great though i have not been able to try cornering much in a new car. for most people this is the perfect tyre.

however they are bigger in size vs the oem 185 60 15 and also 205 55 15. and hence i'm not getting the sporty look that i was after. also because of the higher side wall i feel the car bobs and bounces a little bit during cornering.

i wish to have better handling and a bigger contact patch with the road to have more grip. also i feel 205 will add a little more weight to the steering for better control and improved road feedback. i want that more planted feel that i feel only 205 55 15 can give me. that sporty feel. i feel 205 will suit more to the potential of the car.

i read reviews here and other places and also test drove the GT before i bought it. but to actually live with it and drive it for some days made me realize that it is more than just a point A to B vehicle. i have only just realized it's potential. 2 weeks ago my requirements from a tyre was ride comfort, minimum noise and grip in that order but now its become grip, ride comfort and minimum noise.

here are options...

1. Switch to 205 55 15 in one of the available choices right now ( Hankook V8 RS, Kenda Komet, MRF Zlo ) and then switch over to michelin 205 eventually when they launch.

2. Wait for michelin to launch 205 55 15 and ride on 195 60 15 till then. i don't know how long this will take.

what say guys ?

cheers
Since you have already installed 195/60-15 P3ST just keep it. Dont waste more money by changing it now. You wont get much money for the used tyres. You will lose a lot in this buyback.

You will adjust to the car's dynamics soon enough and you will be able to enjoy it.
Old 8th July 2014, 20:26   #341
BHPian

Re: Huge tyre dilemma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Since you have already installed 195/60-15 P3ST just keep it. Dont waste more money by changing it now. You wont get much money for the used tyres. You will lose a lot in this buyback.

You will adjust to the car's dynamics soon enough and you will be able to enjoy it.
Hi guys,

took delivery of my vento y'day. first thing was to get the tyres changed. I was decided on the P3ST based on suggestions here as I have never used Michelins earlier.

However, the shop guy was bent upon selling me MX2+ and yes, I ended up buying them.

In all probabilities I think the P3STs are better. But I also need A.S.S from the tyre vendor which clearly he was more interested in extending for MXs instead of P3STs. The reason cited was simply that sidewalls are better in MX+ than P3ST.

Paid 5850/tyre for MX2 and accepted 2750 a tyre for the stocks.

In all paid 12,400 inclusive of wheel balancing , weights and fitment.
Old 12th July 2014, 14:57   #342
BANNED

upgraded to 205 55 15. went with sdrive in mind. dealer convinced me to hankook v8 rs. they both were priced similar. design wise both looked cool. anyhow to the driving experience.... filled all 4 to 32 psi.

the ride height feels lowered. it feels much more planted on the road. definitely more confidence inspiring. cornering has improved by leaps and bounds. steering weighs up a bit more and is giving much better feedback. road noise is very low. ride quality is 90% of 195 60 15. loss of acceleration is negligible maybe 5%. it has totally transformed the car. also the car looks much more sporty now. i expect the mileage to drop but it's not what this is all about . this is how I wanted it. next tyre change I'll move up to 16 inch alloys and tyres.

lost about 7k in the whole going from 185 to 195 and then to 205 but it was a good lesson. now i have experienced both. so for the benefit of people in the same dilemma.... if your top priority is ride comfort, minimum tyre noise and best fuel economy stay 185 60 15 or go 195 60 15 with added ride height. for everything else its... 205 55 15.

thanks.
rana_kirti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 21:39   #343
BANNED

Which brand to go for & which size to go for, if upgrading from 185/60 -15 on a polo 1.2 (3 cylinder variant) ?
205/55/15 wouldn't be overkill considering the power/engine of the car ?
New polo is coming with apollo alnac - 185/60/15.
Which is better c drive or db series or zolo ?
I read the thread - some opinion are like 195/60 not make much difference.
so many options/brands available, not able to decide.
Any help would be really appreciate.

Last edited by unknown : 25th July 2014 at 22:05.
Old 27th July 2014, 13:57   #344
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Which brand to go for & which size to go for, if upgrading from 185/60 -15 on a polo 1.2 (3 cylinder variant) ?
205/55/15 wouldn't be overkill considering the power/engine of the car ?
New polo is coming with apollo alnac - 185/60/15.
Which is better c drive or db series or zolo ?
I read the thread - some opinion are like 195/60 not make much difference.
so many options/brands available, not able to decide.
Any help would be really appreciate.
Any advice guys ? my friend wants to know this urgently, else he'll buy what shopkeeper says.
Old 27th July 2014, 14:29   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Any advice guys ? my friend wants to know this urgently, else he'll buy what shopkeeper says.
The best option would be 195 60 R15. You can go with either Michelin P3ST or XM2. Anything above 195 would be overkill for Polo 1.2.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks