Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 21:21   #391

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi Guys,
I'm getting my Vento TDI delivered by August 22. Would appreciate advise in terms of getting the stock tyres replaced with better ones. I have been ardently following this thread and from what I have observed is that the most popular option for the Vento TDI is the Yokohama S Drive 205/55 R 15. As I'm an enthusiastic driver, performance and longevity are my major priorities. Add comfort and silence to the list.

Was wondering if the Pirellis and Michelins would fit the bill. Also, have heard really good things about Premji tyres in Majiwada, Thane. Planning to get my tyres replaced here itself. Please suggest if there is a better place. Any suggestion on the best upgrade for my Vento would be highly appreciated.

Thank you all.
Old 12th August 2015, 23:15   #392
BHPian

Michelin p3st 195/60 is best combination
Old 15th August 2015, 10:08   #393
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ompsingh View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm getting my Vento TDI delivered by August 22. Would appreciate advise in terms of getting the stock tyres replaced with better ones.
=======
Was wondering if the Pirellis and Michelins would fit the bill. Also, have heard really good things about Premji tyres in Majiwada, Thane. Planning to get my tyres replaced here itself. .......
What have you finally decided on? I am also in the market for a set and your feedback would help.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th September 2015 at 15:41. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 17th August 2015, 22:10   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Michelin p3st 195/60 is best combination
Thanks for the suggestion. I have enquired with Premji tyres in Thane and Mr. Mark has advised Yoko S Drive 205/55 R15. Mark has been one of highly respected tyre dealers around and also fellow BHPians speak highly about his recommendations and judgement.

But here's a thread that has not-so-good reviews about the S Drives.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...performer.html

Am totally confused now.
Old 18th August 2015, 13:11   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ompsingh View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I have enquired with Premji tyres in Thane and Mr. Mark has advised Yoko S Drive 205/55 R15. Mark has been one of highly respected tyre dealers around and also fellow BHPians speak highly about his recommendations and judgement.

But here's a thread that has not-so-good reviews about the S Drives.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...performer.html

Am totally confused now.
depends on what you want to do with your car? are you the on the edge driver? S drives are speacilist tyres rather than generalist.

P3ST is jack of all trades and will come to use 95% of your drive. They will not definately let you down on those sporty 5% drives, but S drive will have the advantage there.
Old 8th September 2015, 14:35   #396
BHPian

Hi,

Yesterday during heavy rain I drove into a pot hole which was covered with water and steel rim faced wrath of this. Luckily I was able to get the rim repaired by local tyre shop.

I have couple of questions and seeking help from other members to help

Ques:Would alloy have better strength than the steel rim or do we need to replace alloy after similar incident?

Ques: Would Yokohama S Drive 205/55/R15 fit on the steel rim provided with Vento Comfortline variant?

Regards.
Old 8th September 2015, 15:00   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post

Hi,

Yesterday during heavy rain I drove into a pot hole which was covered with water and steel rim faced wrath of this.

I have couple of questions and seeking help from other members to help
Hey antardaksh I am no expert but I think I can give it a shot !!

Please find my views inline:

Ques:Would alloy have better strength than the steel rim or do we need to replace alloy after similar incident?

Ans: Alloys are always much stronger and lighter than their steel rim counterparts. But its quite impossible to predict if an Alloy wheel would have survived that pot hole. However, I can assure you that an alloy would have probably fared much better, only if the tires were not low profile type.

Ques: Would Yokohama S Drive 205/55/R15 fit on the steel rim provided with Vento Comfortline variant?

Ans: I believe the Comfortline comes with 15 inch steel rims. Though the diameter is the same as a Yokohoma S Drive, the width may be an issue. Not that you cannot fit this on the rim, its better if you go in for a set of alloy wheels. They are wider (6.5J at least for 15") which not only fits the tire but also improves the ride a bit.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 07:10   #398
BHPian

Hi,

I tried to search for a suitable tyre/rim combination and found following

MOMO Revenge rim width

Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-momorevenge.jpg

Recommended rim width

Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-yokorimwidthrecommendation.jpg

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires-10...im-wheel-width

I also checked tech spec of Skoda Rapid sheet and found that the width of steel rim and alloy are same (6J). I believe this might be same in Vento as well.

If this is the case then won't stock alloy wheel be too narrow for the 205 section tyres?

Regards.
Old 15th September 2015, 11:37   #399
BHPian

Hi,

How can I find width of Vento CL steel rim. If this is 6J then I can upgrade to 205/55/R15 without spending on alloys else I will be restricted to 195 section tyres. I wanted to upgrade to 205/50/R16 but I am wary of spending around 34k on Alloys and around 34k on 16" tyres.

Regards.

Last edited by antardaksh : 15th September 2015 at 11:39.
Old 17th September 2015, 13:54   #400
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Need your opinion here.

I had upgraded the tyres on my Polo HL TDI to Michelin XM2 after the stock Apollo Aceleres served their life. While the road noise and comfort are excellent, i am feeling issues with handling. I will quote couple of instances where i felt this. When i took an U turn (almost locking the steering) and when the steering rotated back to its centre position, the car literally wobbled. At higher speeds (say 100 kph), when you take a corner, the grip seems to be very poor and i can feel the car slide. Actually, the worn out Apollo's handled better. In one thread, i recall reading that these tyre's side wall flex a lot and so not suited for handling.

I have seen many BHPians installed these tyres. I want to know if everyone's experience is similar or i should get the tyres checked.
Old 17th September 2015, 15:44   #401
BHPian

Hi all,

I did a pre-registration PDI of my to be delivered Vento TDI DSG - around a week to go for the delivery ; but I noticed that the tyres on the car are Goodyear!

I tried searching on the forum -- and seems that Goodyear are not one of the preferred stock tyres (maybe better than JK?) ; however I couldn't find more details on what the problems are compared to Apollo for example.

My plan has been to remain on stock and then maybe upsize for the next set. However after knowing that it is Goodyears I am not so sure of my strategy any more. My main motivation has also been to not get into any issues with the A.S.S about the warranty.

Overall I am a sedate driver and I do expect that this car will change that a little bit -- but I do not expect too much . Comfort & safety (grip) is the main factor and then durability ; but I am not sure how the goodyears perform. I did not check the exact model of the tyre - so am unable to check any further details online. I suspect tyre noise should not be a big problem over the engine noise given my driving -- but please correct me if I am wrong.

I checked with a tyre shop and got the following for 205/55/15 tyres:
~10.5K buyback for the goodyears
Conti CPC2 ~6800 ==> will cost me around 16K after buyback.

Can you please share your opinion and help me out on how to proceed with this?
Old 18th September 2015, 01:35   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthils27 View Post
I had upgraded the tyres on my Polo HL TDI to Michelin XM2 after the stock Apollo Aceleres served their life. While the road noise and comfort are excellent, i am feeling issues with handling. I will quote couple of instances where i felt this. When i took an U turn (almost locking the steering) and when the steering rotated back to its centre position, the car literally wobbled. At higher speeds (say 100 kph), when you take a corner, the grip seems to be very poor and i can feel the car slide. Actually, the worn out Apollo's handled better. In one thread, i recall reading that these tyre's side wall flex a lot and so not suited for handling.

You've basically migrated from one of the better tyres in the Apollo portfolio to basic, entry level, Michelins. Plus, the XM2s are touring tyres, with the primary purpose being a long life & low rolling resistance, while the Aceleres are more well rounded tyres, offering a good mix of characteristics (without excelling in any one area). So, I would say the behaviour observed by you is pretty much expected.

Mind you, even touring Michelin's will also have decent braking performance. If you see the tires underperforming there, that is the only possible reason I see to get the tyres checked. The rest of your experience seems ok to me.

P.S.: The Aceleres get a lot of abuse because of their average life, plus noise. But, as a sum of it's qualities, and even in terms of driving characteristics, it is, in fact, a pretty accomplished tyre. If one doesn't want to spend too much, it's a very good tyre to buy.
bosporus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 02:26   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthils27 View Post
I have seen many BHPians installed these tyres. I want to know if everyone's experience is similar or i should get the tyres checked.
Which size did you upgrade to and what was the old size that your car was running on? I hope you have given some time and some miles for the new tyres to settle in so that their mould release compound goes off before taking turns at those speeds. New tyres do take atleast 500-700 kms before they start giving optimum grip, they do feel slippery till you clock some miles. I have experienced this on my S drives so telling from experience, my 205 S Drives felt very slippery when new but now stick like a leech when cornering hard.

Michelin XM2 is a comfort oriented tyre to give you long life and excellent comfort, it is a low rolling resistance tyre so do not put high hopes on its grip levels. I have experienced 3ST's on a friend's Rapid and they used to squeal like a pig (though held their line) when cornered at high speeds + there was a lot of sidewall flex on quick lane changes, XM2 are a step below 3ST in this department so they will fare poorly.

About the steering wobble when steering comes back to centre, i have just no clue but XM2's should play no part in it. XM2 is a great tyre for any one loving comfort + silence, if you want even a bit of handling or spirited driving then you should have stayed away from it.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 18th September 2015 at 02:28.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 08:40   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by execve View Post
I noticed that the tyres on the car are Goodyear!
Hi execve,

This has been reported by several other forum members for Polo. I can see significant price difference between GY and Apollo Acelere on an online portal, hence it could be a cost cutting measure by VW.

Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-ventotyre.jpg

Michelin P3ST 195/60 R15 looks like a good bet as there are several favourable review about the same.

Yokohama S-drive AS01 205/55 R15 would have minimum difference in overall diameter.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 15:31   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
You've basically migrated from one of the better tyres in the Apollo portfolio to basic, entry level, Michelins. Plus, the XM2s are touring tyres, with the primary purpose being a long life & low rolling resistance, while the Aceleres are more well rounded tyres, offering a good mix of characteristics (without excelling in any one area). So, I would say the behaviour observed by you is pretty much expected.

Mind you, even touring Michelin's will also have decent braking performance. If you see the tires underperforming there, that is the only possible reason I see to get the tyres checked. The rest of your experience seems ok to me.

P.S.: The Aceleres get a lot of abuse because of their average life, plus noise. But, as a sum of it's qualities, and even in terms of driving characteristics, it is, in fact, a pretty accomplished tyre. If one doesn't want to spend too much, it's a very good tyre to buy.
Thanks for your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Which size did you upgrade to and what was the old size that your car was running on? I hope you have given some time and some miles for the new tyres to settle in so that their mould release compound goes off before taking turns at those speeds. New tyres do take atleast 500-700 kms before they start giving optimum grip, they do feel slippery till you clock some miles. I have experienced this on my S drives so telling from experience, my 205 S Drives felt very slippery when new but now stick like a leech when cornering hard.

Michelin XM2 is a comfort oriented tyre to give you long life and excellent comfort, it is a low rolling resistance tyre so do not put high hopes on its grip levels. I have experienced 3ST's on a friend's Rapid and they used to squeal like a pig (though held their line) when cornered at high speeds + there was a lot of sidewall flex on quick lane changes, XM2 are a step below 3ST in this department so they will fare poorly.

About the steering wobble when steering comes back to centre, i have just no clue but XM2's should play no part in it. XM2 is a great tyre for any one loving comfort + silence, if you want even a bit of handling or spirited driving then you should have stayed away from it.

Thanks! I am running stock set up 185/60 R15 before and after. I have almost done 2000 kms on the new tyres and do not see a marked improvement. Well, it seems like i should have done my research better in first place

I have never experienced the wobble with Aceleres, so just assuming that it is due to tyre change.

I was doubting whether there could be specific issues with the tyre that i bought but now i understand that i cannot expect much from XM2s in terms of handling.

Most Viewed