Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2016, 17:23   #526
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
What tires were your 195/60 R15s and what was the tyre pressure?.
I have a 2013 Vento TSI - so don't know what suspension that model has. Also - I had 195/60 R15 S-Drives. I experimented with Tyre pressures between 30 and 33 for all tyres - but I still felt a very noticeable increase in body roll when compared to the stock tyre size.

Now I've driven about 250 kms on the new 205 S Drives with 31 psi - and I can personally vouch for the difference. But then I again - I must admit that it could just boil down to a personal preference.

It's just that because I experienced all 3 tyres (stock, 195's and 205's) within a span of 3 months, the comparison felt more real, since I've noticed back to back comparisons tend to be a little more accurate in my personal experience.
Old 25th December 2016, 18:07   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadnaik View Post
I have a 2013 Vento TSI - so don't know what suspension that model has. Also - I had 195/60 R15 S-Drives. I experimented with Tyre pressures between 30 and 33 for all tyres - but I still felt a very noticeable increase in body roll when compared to the stock tyre size.

Now I've driven about 250 kms on the new 205 S Drives with 31 psi - and I can personally vouch for the difference. But then I again - I must admit that it could just boil down to a personal preference.

It's just that because I experienced all 3 tyres (stock, 195's and 205's) within a span of 3 months, the comparison felt more real, since I've noticed back to back comparisons tend to be a little more accurate in my personal experience.
It's great that you have experienced all the tyre profiles. I figured you had a newer car, as traction control was not featured in these cars earlier, if I'm not wrong.

You likely have the softer suspension, called normal suspension in VAG terminology. This makes a huge difference, when compared to the earlier type. Anyhow, it all would be good to know especially for the owners of newer cars.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 21:27   #528
BHPian

Are you guys saying that the current lot of Ventos have softer suspension than older models? Whatever be the case it gives a nasty bump on speed breakers unless you go over it gently at less than 15kmph.

Traction control is available only on TSI models, afaik.
Old 25th December 2016, 22:46   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Are you guys saying that the current lot of Ventos have softer suspension than older models? Whatever be the case it gives a nasty bump on speed breakers unless you go over it gently at less than 15kmph.

Traction control is available only on TSI models, afaik.
Yes, actually. The earlier cars had Euro-spec suspension that was on a bit stiffer side, in comparison with the suspension in recent cars. Euro-spec suspension provided great traction and handling abilities.

About the TSI, it was not available earlier, just the naturally aspirated 1.6 L petrol. DSG was not available too back then.
Old 30th January 2017, 11:43   #530
BHPian

Quote:
So - I finally realised that the 195/60 R15's were a bad idea. In fact - scratch that, a terrible idea.

I got my tyres changed from Pal Tyres at Laminton Road in Mumbai. There's a gentleman there by the name of Mr Gagandeep who's really helpful and has a ready stock of Yokos.

What did they cost you? How much did you get for your old tyres?
Old 6th February 2017, 09:23   #531
BHPian

Quote:
So - I finally realised that the 195/60 R15's were a bad idea. In fact - scratch that, a terrible idea.
ahmadnaik,
My experience is actually contrary to what you've observed. The stock setup was so hard, I'd find myself slowing down just for ride quality. Presently, I'm very happy running 195/65R15 without any issues of rubbing. I fully agree the sidewall height does not provide a very tight cornering ability, but that was not my requirement. I still find that I'm taking turns faster simply because the car does not hop, jump or skip when compared to my previous 225/45R17 setup. On the whole, I consider a 205/55R16 as the best solution for ride, ground clearance & decent performance (note that it's 16" not 15").

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
That is very contrasting to my experience. Two sets of Yokohama C-drives have been phenomenal in 195/60 R15 in my car. Traction levels, braking distance, et. al. has been great. I felt improvement in driving dynamics too.

What tires were your 195/60 R15s and what was the tyre pressure?

On a side note, my car is 2010 manufactured and has Euro-spec heavy duty suspension. This difference plays a huge role too.
Halfbytecode,
Ditto here. Braking is substantially better. My car is also a 2010 build though I was not aware that the suspension has changed.
Old 10th March 2017, 12:47   #532
BHPian

Gentlemen -

The stock tires (Apollo Accelere 185/60/R15) on my 2013 Vento TDI are due for a change. Done ~47,000 KMS.

I'm looking for alternates with sizing 195/60/R15 (or R16?).

My priority is Firm Grip, Smooth ride and less noise in that order.

My choices:

Michelin XM2
Michelin P3 ST

Help me choose one.

How about Conti / Yokos? Is there any huge price difference?
Old 11th March 2017, 08:13   #533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikanthan View Post
My priority is Firm Grip, Smooth ride and less noise in that order.
For your priorities it has to be a soft compound tyre, soft compound aids grip above all else, then smoothness & road noise. If I'm not mistaken P3ST is a neutral compound, wont work.

Michelin XM2 is the top choice for your requirements, not sure about the Continentals but I'd say ContiComfort5 comes close to XM2. Yokohama does not make a decent tyre when it comes to soft compound so its better avoided.

Price not being an issue, it has to be Michelin. Also be aware that sometimes, due to the nature of their softness and sidewall pliability, such tyres may not last as long as an average tyre because they hug the road more and give more grip, they are worth every bit, though.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2017, 16:11   #534
BHPian

Hi Guys, just booked a Vento Comfortline TSI a few days back and getting the car in about 2 weeks time.

I have 2 major dilemmas. The tyres and the rims. When i called my sales guy to ask him what tyres normally come in the Vento, he told me that they are currently coming in 3 brands. Apollo, Bridgestone and MRF and if i give a preference of the brand he will ensure that i get the one i want when the car gets delivered. I asked him which model of the above brands, but he was not sure.

In an ideal world i would like to get alloys (Comfortline comes in steel rims) as well as an upgrade in tires. But doing both will definitely be stretching my budget.

Need help with you on the following questions:
1. Which one of the above brands should i ask him to give me. I am guessing it should be between the Apollo and Bridgestone?
2. Which is more important to upgrade first if i can do only one of either Alloys or tyre?

I am upgrading to the Vento TSI after driving a Hyundai Santro for the last 10 years. So things like tyre noise etc are more or less alien to me :-)

What I want is a durable tyre which would enhance the comfort in daily drives in mumbai without hampering FE. Also, it should be able to let me experience the full joys of the TSI + DSG on the occasional long drives.

Thanks in advance
Old 12th March 2017, 09:52   #535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSoms View Post
Need help with you on the following questions:
1. Which one of the above brands should i ask him to give me. I am guessing it should be between the Apollo and Bridgestone?
2. Which is more important to upgrade first if i can do only one of either Alloys or tyre?
1. The thumb rule (for me, strictly) is to avoid ALL Indian brands, Bridgestone is Japanese so that should be the one to go for. Others may say differently but this is my take. However also be aware that any tyre right out of factory will be of hard compound (hence lesser braking power, slightly lower grip, more tyre noise but more durability). A tyre swap can also be considered immediately after the purchase, you will get a good Rs.2500-Rs.3000/- for the stock tyres in exchange depending on store.

2) ABSOLUTELY tyres, don't even worry about alloys, if you ask me drive them with stock steel wheels forever, or till the time you feel like "splurging" Rs.25k-30+ odd for alloys. Many Americans even today use steel wheels during winter time for the heavier effect on steering and for it to have a planted drive on snow. Alloys may be lighter and all but to me they never mattered. The grip and pliability of better branded tyres are way more important.
Old 14th March 2017, 19:40   #536
BHPian

Just got 5 tyres for my car. Vredestein Sportrac 5, 195/60 R15 88V.

I have only driven for about 10 kilometers so far. I must say, I am not disappointed at all with these tyres. When I drive a bit more, I will provide some initial feedback.
Old 20th March 2017, 09:46   #537
BHPian

Hi,

Does anyone know where one can source OEM alloys for the Vento? And definitely not at the exorbitant prices that the dealership quotes.
Old 20th March 2017, 16:57   #538
BHPian

Guys,

I managed to find a tyre store from where I am getting OEM volkswagen alloys. The price is pretty decent too.

But I am a little confused. He sent me a pic of the alloys and they look different from what i remember seeing in the showroom.

Attaching below the pic that the tyre guy sent me. Please let me know if this is indeed the Alloys that new Ventos are coming with or is this the Polo alloy?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-vento-tyre.jpg  

Old 20th March 2017, 23:25   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSoms View Post
Guys,

I managed to find a tyre store from where I am getting OEM volkswagen alloys. The price is pretty decent too.

But I am a little confused. He sent me a pic of the alloys and they look different from what i remember seeing in the showroom.

Attaching below the pic that the tyre guy sent me. Please let me know if this is indeed the Alloys that new Ventos are coming with or is this the Polo alloy?
These are the polo GT alloy wheels. The store looks like Saifee Tyres to me. Cheers
prince85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:27   #540
BHPian

Hi Guys, The stock tires (Apollo Accelere 185/60/R15) on my 2013 Vento TDI are due for a change. Done ~47,000 KMS.

Went through this thread 3-4 times and got a bit more clarity and more confusion! 205/55/R15 Yoko S-drives seem the favourite choice. All dealers are saying that 205/55/R15 will touch the tyre wells/body during U-turns. I know many here have upgraded to this sizing. I was keen on these but Fuel Efficiency is very important for me. My daily drive involves 70 kms of high way drive to office (NH5) and those 70kms I have an enthusiastic drive (in the torque band, no redlining) (similar to the dialogue in chak de ).

My priorities are: FE, enthusiastic drives/quick lane changes (I can compromise a bit here, but, not much), comfort (car doubles as a family car rest of the times), longevity, in that order. I can live with road noise, no problem !

Hence, I'm looking for alternative sizing 195/60/R15 (even here, S-drives are out on account of FE). What are my options?

Yokos AVS DB ?
Michelin P3 ST ?

I haven't checked Bridgestone and Continentals yet.

Thanks.

Most Viewed