Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2022, 16:14   #661
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudeep BN View Post
Please advise.
Also consider the Vredestein Ultrac. It’s in the same or at a slightly lower price point as the options you listed and is available in both 185/60R15 and 195/60R15 sizes.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th August 2022 at 03:53. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote relevant sections of posts only. Thanks!
Old 18th August 2022, 00:53   #662

Quote:
- I did come across couple of reviews on sidewall damage with Yokohoma BlueEarth AE50 (older model). However, there are not many reviews for Yokohoma BlueEarth GT AE51
- I read here that Continental CC series tires require careful monitoring of air pressure to ensure that they are not low even slightly.

Please advise.
Got Yokohama BluEarth GT AE51 for all four tyres today. Initial impressions are good in terms of road noise and ride even though it's just been a few kms of run in city.

5400/tyre, 092022 manufacturing date
200/Triton chrome valve
Free alignment
Free balancing service, weights extra
Old tyres taken for 200

Going on a road trip which will be around 700kms. I will update this post with my observations.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th August 2022 at 03:54. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote relevant sections of posts only. Thanks! Typos fixed.
Old 22nd August 2022, 16:11   #663

Quote:
Going on a road trip which will be around 700kms. I will update this post with my observations.
Update after driving 700kms with new tyres:

+ Much better ride and comfort
+ Reduced road noise
+ Better dry and wet grip

- Lighter steering

Last edited by aah78 : 25th August 2022 at 03:55. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please quote relevant sections of posts only. Thanks!
Gurudeep BN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 02:20   #664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Stephens View Post
So in love with those new wheels... can you please give me an idea how much they costed you? (Need for budgeting purposes )
Went with Yoko Earth 1 205/50R16s for these wheels. It cost me 72k in all. More than what I had budgeted to spend 😫

The wheels do look better in some angles. Haven’t had a chance to take pictures.

Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-3837f301497a42df82fb31e17e3d62c4.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th August 2022 at 03:56. Reason: Picture inserted in-line. Quote fixed.
Altimatum is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 08:47   #665
BHPian

Yesterday went to Pal Tyres and wanted to go for stock size only. So asked for Conti CC6 or Yokos. Kenny suggested Bridgestone Ecopia 185/65/R15 instead of stock size 185/60/R15. He said the 5mm increase in side wall will raise the ground clearance very slightly and give more comfortable ride. I tested a few kms after fitting and so far so good. The ride is definitely better and steering is lighter but that’s also maybe because of brand new tyres I think.

But now I’m a bit skeptical as to the 5mm upgrade in side wall will affect the performance in any way? Is this the correct upgrade size or did I make a mistake in going for these? I just went ahead because he was so confident in recommending Bridgestone over Conti for Indian road conditions and according to him 5mm increased side wall will not affect anyway but give better ride comfort.

Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-161dde31283241ba8d258ea29a61a5db.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 16th March 2023 at 02:25. Reason: Image inserted in-line, typos.
Old 27th October 2022, 10:14   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
I tested a few kms after fitting and so far so good. The ride is definitely better and steering is lighter but that’s also maybe because of brand new tyres I think.

But now I’m a bit skeptical as to the 5mm upgrade in side wall will affect the performance in any way? Is this the correct upgrade size or did I make a mistake in going for these?
Hey, I think you made the right call! Among BHPians the usual upgrade from 185/60R15 is 195/60R15, which has the same diameter and sidewall height as the size you went for - 185/65R15 - so don't fret!

Lighter steering and slightly delayed steering response is normal because of the taller sidewall that reduces its stiffness a little bit. I'm sure it is not to the extent that it reduces your confidence. Also, taller tyres will give you a better fuel efficiency (though the figure displayed by your car will go for a toss because of the odometer error - when your car says you have travelled 100 km you have actually covered 103 km, and fuel efficiency value is derived from this), so don't panic if your display indicates that your fuel efficiency has taken a hit.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 17:59   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
Hey, I think you made the right call! Among BHPians the usual upgrade from 185/60R15 is 195/60R15, which has the same diameter and sidewall height as the size you went for - 185/65R15 - so don't fret!

Lighter steering and slightly delayed steering response is normal because of the taller sidewall that reduces its stiffness a little bit. I'm sure it is not to the extent that it reduces your confidence. Also, taller tyres will give you a better fuel efficiency (though the figure displayed by your car will go for a toss because of the odometer error - when your car says you have travelled 100 km you have actually covered 103 km, and fuel efficiency value is derived from this), so don't panic if your display indicates that your fuel efficiency has taken a hit.
Thanks a lot for the reassurance since you’re experienced in this field and know more about it.

The diameter has increased by approx 3% and I read here an article by mods which says that a difference of 3-4% is okay. And now plus a reassurance from you too makes me feel better now

My concern was that incase of bumps and crater like pot holes, will the tyre hit the upper or side wall surrounding the tyres? Since it’s a size bigger in diameter?

Of whatever little I’ve driven so far, about 12-14 kms, the handling hasn’t really affected as such. Slightly lighter steering now but it’s made city use a bit better. It’s not so light to make any difference on highways either. Vento’s steering feedback was as it is good so it still shoots wherever it’s pointed.

Comfort has increased a bit. Didn’t find any noise in limited city use. Feels a bit quite than earlier infact. So far I’m finding the balance good enough. Just had a concern about the above mentioned doubt.

Also I haven’t really measured the FE as such much. So it should be showing similar to what it used to earlier but will be infact about 3% more than that right? And same will be for distance travelled from now then.

Last edited by magikrider : 27th October 2022 at 18:03.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 18:15   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the reassurance since you’re experienced in this field and know more about it.

My concern was that incase of bumps and crater like pot holes, will the tyre hit the upper or side wall surrounding the tyres? Since it’s a size bigger in diameter?
Hi, absolutely no need to worry about fouling with the wheel wells even at full load - reason is that higher variants of the Vento comes with 195/55R16 size tyres whose diameter (~620 mm) is exactly equal to that of your upsized tyres (185/65R15). Even in future, if you're considering a further upsize, the baseline for the 3% increase in diameter should be the biggest sized tyres offered with the vehicle - which is 195/55R16. So in fact you can afford to still go taller without risking any fouling.

Quote:
Also I haven’t really measured the FE as such much. So it should be showing similar to what it used to earlier but will be infact about 3% more than that right? And same will be for distance travelled from now then.
Yup you're right. Your actual FE and distance travelled will be 3% more than what is displayed.

Cheers
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 21:25   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
Hi, absolutely no need to worry about fouling with the wheel wells even at full load - reason is that higher variants of the Vento comes with 195/55R16 size tyres whose diameter (~620 mm) is exactly equal to that of your upsized tyres (185/65R15).
Thanks a lot man , cheers.

I trusted the shop owner because he looked genuine and has many recommendations here and just went ahead with it as his explanations sounded convincing. Then later on had this thought about wheel wells as our roads in monsoons specially are like moon surface so.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th March 2023 at 02:26. Reason: Quote trimmed, typos fixed. Smileys.
magikrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 18:51   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I had already changed to 195/60 when I changed from the stock Apollo Alnacs to Michelin 3ST. Of course there significant difference compared to the current state of the tires at the point of change, but need to drive some more for some detailed observations.
My Vento TDI 2017 DSG has stock size 185/60/15. You have upgraded to 195/60/15, if I am not wrong. The GC would have increased by 6 mm. I am in a dilemma if upsize will be good or not. What all are the differences you felt with upsizing including it's impact on fuel efficiency.

Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 20:22   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
My Vento TDI 2017 DSG has stock size 185/60/15. You have upgraded to 195/60/15, if I am not wrong. The GC would have increased by 6 mm. I am in a dilemma if upsize will be good or not. What all are the differences you felt with upsizing including it's impact on fuel efficiency.
I went from 185/60 to 195/60. Here are the changes that I've noticed although nobody else feels it:
1) You need to slip the clutch more to get the car moving. You'll notice reduced torque output too. Slipping the clutch more is a bad idea for the DSG gearbox and I personally wouldn't advise it. I believe the latter versions may have a modified final gear ratio to accommodate the bigger tires.
2) You'll obviously see a reduction of 1-1.5 kmpl
3) Acceleration has softened a bit.
4) For a given indicated speed, you will feel you're going faster since a bigger diameter covers more ground.
5) Ground clearance gain is a huge advantage of your traveling through horrible terrain. We did a bit of off roading too!
6) Link rods tend to wear out faster

If point 1 matters to you, you can also get Conti UC6 and some Vredestein in 185/60.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th March 2023 at 02:26. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 20:40   #672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Unfortunately cannot be of much help. I upgraded with the first Tyre change which was around 5 years back, so unfortunately I don't clearly remember the differences I felt when I first upgraded. Now I am just used to the new size. I don't think there has been any significant drop in mileage. Also, along with the most recent change (to Continental UC6), I did a remap. So became impossible to attribute anything specifically to the tyres itself.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th March 2023 at 02:27. Reason: Quote trmmed.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 20:51   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I went from 185/60 to 195/60. Here are the changes that I've noticed although nobody else feels it:
1) You need to slip the clutch more to get the car moving. You'll notice reduced torque output too. Slipping the clutch more is a bad idea for the DSG gearbox and I personally wouldn't advise it.

If point 1 matters to you, you can also get Conti UC6 and some Vredestein in 185/60.
Thank you so much for your response. Yes point 1 does matter a lot. Always DSG longevity is in back of my mind while using the car. If upsize will have an adverse effect on DSG, better I will not upsize, rather would go for better quality tyres.
Thanks again.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 20:49   #674
BHPian

Changed the OEM JK Vectras (185/60 R15) for a set of Continental UC6 (185/65 R15). Cost 6.7k per tyre. Would have gone for 195/60s or 205/55s from Continental, but I urgently needed to get the tyres changed and 185/65 UC6s seemed like the best option available at that store. They also had Yokohoma Earth1s and Bridgestone Sturdos available at both stock size and 195/60, but ride comfort was a priority so I went for the Continentals.

Initial observations:
i) Significantly softer steering and NO road noise upto 60km/hr (fastest I went). Quite different to the JK Vectras that made a whine reminiscent of straight cut gears above 35km/hr.

ii) Supple ride quality, albeit a bit bouncy when riding solo (settled down nicely with 4 on board - believe the tyres are slightly overinflated). Absolutely eats up anything that isn't the worst of the roads - I need to be more conscious of the speed I'm doing over potholes and cracked roads and the like, because I just don't notice anymore from inside the cabin!!

iii) GC has increased by ~9mm - suspension doesn't bottom out with 4 on board even on the worst of Bangalore's speed breakers. There is a speed breaker outside the place I'm staying that the car always bottomed out over, and while it is still bumpy, it's not a worry anymore.

iv) Taller gears and the DSG's creep behaviour has slightly changed.

I've noticed comparable fuel efficiency over a 60km round trip when adjusting for the 3% error, although this is in comparison to heavily worn-out, 6+ year old rubber and I expect it to be slightly worse overall than new tyres of the stock size.
Old 21st January 2023, 23:55   #675
BHPian

Went on a highway trip, further observations of the UC6s:

i) Leech-like grip. I was following a speedy Hyundai Elantra (2017 or later) at a distance and while he was doing illegal speeds on the straights, I was more than making up for it in the curves. In fact, I was accelerating in sections of the curve where he was braking. It's such a cool feeling to accelerate out of curves where the horrible JK Vectras would have understeered like crazy.

ii) No tyre noise at all up to 100km/hr on smooth roads. And thanks to the tiny 1.2L engine, the little thrum perceivable between 75-80km/hr in 7th gear is all you get for a soundtrack within the car until 100. Even above 110, road noise is minimal - albeit the wind noise is so high that this point is moot.

iii) Excellent stability for cruising at high speeds, let's just say you could cruise all day at or above the legal limit thanks to the combination of the Vento's planted chassis + the unreal grip offered by these tires. The abundance of power on tap can finally be utilized.

iv) I feel the upsize has slightly changed the vehicle dynamics. There's notably more body roll in quick direction changes, and under braking, I feel like the back is moving around a bit when braking hard whereas in the past it would remain perfectly planted in a confidence-inspiring way. I'm not sure if this is because of tyre pressures or me not being used to tyres that are aligned properly, but I would definitely say moving up to this size of tyres won't improve the handling of the car, unlike say the 195s or 205s.

v) The upsized tyres swallow up any ditch or undulation that the tyres can reasonably be expected to absorb. Unfortunately, on our roads, there are many potholes that are beyond the absorption capabilities of even the suspension. I had a low-speed (~30-35km/hr) encounter with what would surely be a rim-breaking pothole at higher speeds, and the larger tyres seemingly had no damping effect on the resounding bang that followed.

vi) To my surprise, fuel efficiency (both city and highway) has gone up by a reasonable amount.

The new tyres have transformed the car into a teutonic highway cruiser. Although my choice to upsize seems to have taken some of the (handling) enthusiasm out of the car, I believe I've made a good choice as ride comfort is the priority + it's become really frustrating to baby the car over undulations. The extra ground clearance and soft rubber really helped with the majority of imperfections I encountered.

Last edited by rkv_2401 : 22nd January 2023 at 00:00.
rkv_2401 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed