Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2023, 01:26   #676
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hey folks! With a lot of difficulty, found a set of Michelin P4STs. I have 2 issues with this - any suggestions would help me decide between the P4STs and the Conti UC6 (this I can get from my neighbourhood tyre shop).

1) 14.5k per tyre which is almost the cost of 2 Conti UC6’s.
2) it’s an online deal from a reputed tyre outlet. But still, I won’t get to see the tyres in the flesh.
3) Stock size - 195/55/R16 and available size is 205/55/R16. Slight apprehension as I’ve the 1.2 TSI DSG - the infamous box that has been good far. Worried the slight upsize will affect.
Old 16th March 2023, 03:35   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevwguy View Post
1) 14.5k per tyre which is almost the cost of 2 Conti UC6’s.
IMHO a P4ST for 14.5k is not worth the money, this is even more than what PS4 cost (at least back when it was easily available)

Quote:
2) it’s an online deal from a reputed tyre outlet. But still, I won’t get to see the tyres in the flesh.
Any idea about the date of manufacture of these tyres?

Quote:
3) Stock size - 195/55/R16 and available size is 205/55/R16. Slight apprehension as I’ve the 1.2 TSI DSG - the infamous box that has been good far. Worried the slight upsize will affect.
Any particular reason why you're going for the upsize?
There are several other good tyres available in both 195 & 205 section tyres for example - MRF perfinza, Vredestein ULTRAC, Conti UC6 (like you mentioned) etc.
Old 16th March 2023, 11:06   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA-driver View Post
IMHO a P4ST for 14.5k is not worth the money, this is even more than what PS4 cost (at least back when it was easily available)
Absolutely- their only USP for the price is availability. And probably my Michelin affinity

Quote:
Any idea about the date of manufacture of these tyres?

Jus got fresh pics this morning - they’re 21’.

Quote:
Any particular reason why you're going for the upsize?
There are several other good tyres available in both 195 & 205 section tyres for example - MRF perfinza, Vredestein ULTRAC, Conti UC6 (like you mentioned) etc.
None at all. Again down to availability. I wouldn’t touch MRF as my primary requirement is comfort, silence and confidence. Vredestein has got mixed reviews.

Thanks for your time!! With the fresh pics I got this morning, I’m walking away from this. 2 years and almost 15k for a tyre is
thevwguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 08:00   #679
BHPian

Update: I went into the tyre shop with my mind made up on the UC6’s. The owner of the shop is a close friend and it has been a custom with all cars in my family to drive straight from the showroom floor to the tyre shop. We’d always swap stock tyres with Michelin and hence have a good relationship with the owner. He strongly suggested going with Ceat securedrive and not the UC6 which was a shocker. He knows my priorities are silence and comfort being the top. I took his word and man am I pleasantly surprised. The tyres are super soft at least on the Vento and very comfortable. I’ve just embarked on a 1k KMS road-trip and will update further on driving dynamics. I am taking it slow and breaking them in - keeping speeds low. Im a happy camper with what im experiencing so far. Also, for anyone in TN thinking of Ceat’s, there is an offer going on with purchase of 4 tyres you’d get a 1g gold coin free. I’m yet to receive it so if I do, the tyres are a steal at 28k (minus 5k for the gold if that floats your boat).
Old 4th June 2023, 17:37   #680
BHPian

Quote:
He strongly suggested going with Ceat securedrive and not the UC6 which was a shocker.
Could you please update on the experience on the Born Tough tyres, am planning to change from Michelin.
Old 18th July 2023, 15:54   #681
BHPian

Greetings everyone.

Got my 2012 VW Vento TDi serviced recently. There was a lot of noise coming from the front suspension even on mildly bad city roads and rumble strips. So had to replace the front suspensions and got the steering rack mechanism repaired and re-lubricated.
It runs smooth as butter now but the tyres are a let down, due to its age.

Finally have decided to replace tyres. They are currently running on Yoko Earth 1 installed in 2018, upsized to 195/60 R15. A lot of tread still left but there are large visible cracks on the side wall due to age.

My initial thoughts were to replace them with the same brand and size but then thought of doing some looking around.

Went thru this thread and many others and am really confused. Would appreciate inputs on the following points

(1) Comfort and low noise are priority. Do I stick to 195/60 R15 or 185/65 R15 would be a better size? (Without putting more stress on the suspension /steering components)

(2)Yokos? Contis? Ceat? Michelin? Bridgestone? Which brand do I go for?

(3)Read somewhere on this forum that 195 section tyres MAY lead to faster wear of the suspension components/tie rods. How much of a difference would 195 section make vis-a-vis 185 section tyres?

(4) 90 % city use with very occasional high speed highway usage. Braking grip and safety are paramount concerns.

(5)With most roads being converted to concrete surfaces, I am told tyres heat up very fast and that's a factor to be considered. True?

(6)Would appreciate leads to a reputed tyre dealer in Mumbai. (Preferably South or Central Mumbai)

Thanks in advance

Reagrds
ASVA

Last edited by ASVA : 18th July 2023 at 16:05.
Old 18th July 2023, 16:01   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Update: I went into the tyre shop with my mind made up on the UC6’s. The owner of the shop is a close friend and it has been a custom with all cars in my family to drive straight from the showroom floor to the tyre shop. We’d always swap stock tyres with Michelin and hence have a good relationship with the owner. He strongly suggested going with Ceat securedrive and not the UC6 which was a shocker. He knows my priorities are silence and comfort being the top. I took his word and man am I pleasantly surprised. The tyres are super soft at least on the Vento and very comfortable. I’ve just embarked on a 1k KMS road-trip and will update further on driving dynamics. I am taking it slow and breaking them in - keeping speeds low. Im a happy camper with what im experiencing so far. Also, for anyone in TN thinking of Ceat’s, there is an offer going on with purchase of 4 tyres you’d get a 1g gold coin free. I’m yet to receive it so if I do, the tyres are a steal at 28k (minus 5k for the gold if that floats your boat).
Please update us on your experience with Ceat tyres so far. Am looking for a worthy replacement for the Yokos on my Vento.
Old 18th July 2023, 16:18   #683
BHPian

Don't know about the wear on the shocks by upsizing to 195/60/R15, but ride def is more comfortable.

I shifted to Continental UC6 from stocks after 58000 kms and have done about 12000kms on them. No complaints. My run is 95% city as well.
click is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 00:41   #684
Sen
BHPian

Planning to move from Continental UC6s 195/55 R16 on my Vento TSI 1.0 MY2020 to MRF Perfinzas at a slight upsize of 205/55 R16s. The UC6s are lasting well but starting to lose a bit of the leech-like grip that they had when they were newer (I got some of the newest tires because Continental had just launched the tires when I'd bought Taco in 2020 Nov). After hearing some forum members talk about the Perfinzas including Nikhil and Rubber guru, I'm curious to try it out for a good grip vs value proposition.

Still got 3.5-4mm of tread depth left, so I'm going to only let the tires stay on for another 5-7k kms.

Any suggestions for what kind of difference I can expect in the grip levels and handling/steering feel? I know the steering might become a little harder, and am aware of the speedo variance and the slightest of changes to the power delivery characteristics and ground clearance, but anything else to watch out for? The other direction is to go for 185/60 R16s but I'm worried that I will sorely miss that tire width since I'll probably be getting a remap soon now that I have a better set of brake discs and pads in place, and good grippy tires to go with.

Advice and suggestions heartily welcomed. (I'm also really really slacking off on updating my owner's review with everything that's happened in the last 3 years since I got Taco )
Old 1st September 2023, 00:56   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
(I'm also really really slacking off on updating my owner's review with everything that's happened in the last 3 years since I got Taco )
As a Polo 1.0 TSI user, I’m keenly waiting for the update!
gt3t0uring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2023, 10:18   #686

Installed a set of Bridgestone Sturdo 185/60 R15 recently. I had stock JKs earlier. The Sturdos feel really comfortable, ride cushioning is much better and I think they're less noisier as well. Mainly city driving so cannot comment on hi speed grip.

Most Viewed