Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 00:44   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar View Post
I got my vento's tyre changed to 205 55 R15 Yokohama. the ride is horrible. i went to goa from hyd, every small speed breaker line i had to literally stop before going. If i did not the car would bounce all over the place. Every pot hole where i could not slow the car would hit with such a thud, no comfort at all.

The car wobbled at high speed of 170 above. it was like driving a new verna. i guess 205 55 R15 is very bad choice.

Any suggestion guys. Would 195 60 R15 be good.
Before changing your tyres again. Please get your balancing checked again. And before that check your tyre pressure. Fill in 30psi when cold, and then update here again. Infact try 29psi for a few days. I'm reasonably sure there will solve your problems.

I'm guessing you changed to S-Drives, which are known to make a ride a little more stiff but not as much as you describe it.
Old 14th July 2011, 00:55   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Yokohama makes multiple Tires - the most popular choices are

A. Drives - Economy and high mileage (read long lasting)
C. Drives - Silent ride and wet grip with a better than A.Drive Dry Gip
S. Drives - Performance tires with better than C. Drive Dry Grip but worse than C.Drive in Wet Grip. Lowest Comfort and relatively noisy compared to C and A Drives.

There are other tires too like ES-100, dB range and Advan range. You can get more details of positioning of the tires at

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2022454
W/O knowing which tire you purchased, it is difficult to comment. The Wobble is not a tire problem but a balancing issue and will go away once you get your wheels balanced. For ride, try reducing 2 psi of pressure and check. It should improve dramatically.
all the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Before changing your tyres again. Please get your balancing checked again. And before that check your tyre pressure. Fill in 30psi when cold, and then update here again. Infact try 29psi for a few days. I'm reasonably sure there will solve your problems.

I'm guessing you changed to S-Drives, which are known to make a ride a little more stiff but not as much as you describe it.

Balancing has been done. It cannot be balancing problem as it happens only at very high speeds in excess of 170. so maybe the road was not so levelled out.

I have filled 30 psi when i was driving so i am guessing it would not have been more than 29 psi.

The ride is very stiff. i changed my swift tyres from 165 to 185 and there was world of difference in ride quality. i am guessing the lower profile of the S drive is a problem. i have to depending on the work load as much as 35,000 km a year so... I do drive fast so i cant keeping banging my car in potholes. i need to go over them more smoothly. So I think 195 60 R15 C drive would be better. Any other choice for smooth ride with good grip.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:17   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Balancing has been done. It cannot be balancing problem as it happens only at very high speeds in excess of 170. so maybe the road was not so levelled out.

I have filled 30 psi when i was driving so i am guessing it would not have been more than 29 psi.

The ride is very stiff. i changed my swift tyres from 165 to 185 and there was world of difference in ride quality. i am guessing the lower profile of the S drive is a problem. i have to depending on the work load as much as 35,000 km a year so... I do drive fast so i cant keeping banging my car in potholes. i need to go over them more smoothly. So I think 195 60 R15 C drive would be better. Any other choice for smooth ride with good grip.
Do check the tyre pressure again.

But if you do need to change, the C-Drives would be a good bet, or you can even look at Bridgestone Turanzas which are very tough tires. Again with both of these grip won't be as good as S-drives but you can cruise at relatively high speeds.
Old 14th July 2011, 22:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Do check the tyre pressure again.

But if you do need to change, the C-Drives would be a good bet, or you can even look at Bridgestone Turanzas which are very tough tires. Again with both of these grip won't be as good as S-drives but you can cruise at relatively high speeds.
Minor mod - C.Drive grips better in the wet compared to the S.Drive. Of course it rains only 3 months in a year but guess thats when I need my tires to be their grippiest. Check out the positioning map I had pasted below
Old 14th July 2011, 23:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would request to check the balancing again - I have had to get it done twice in one of my tire changes so my request is based on personal experience. Try keeping the tire pressure to 28 and see. Also the pressure gauges may not be reliable sometime so pls double check. In my Innova, the recommended pressure is 32 / 36 depending on the load but the 225/60C.Drive become very bumpy at 32-34 pressure so I keep it at 30. The same tire gives an excessively cushy ride at 28.
Old 16th July 2011, 19:34   #36
BHPian

Guys I visited my tyre dealer for Innova Balancing and Alignment. I drove Yoko C-drive for 45K right now and dealer says it will go 20K more :-).

Now I asked this guys about Polo left pulling, as per him Apollo stock has design fault, which is curvey on exteriors which is causing left pulling. As per him he changed almost 4-5 Polo tyres to 205/50/R15 continental one and it has removed left pulling.

Guys please suggest which one will be best, I just want to overcome left pulling, otherwise I am happy with stock size too. I did went to service station twice for pulling issue they tried their level best and it didn't resolve the issue. But Tyre wala suggestion put a question mark on tyre itself. So please suggest for better upgrade and does continental make sense.
Old 16th July 2011, 21:07   #37
BHPian

KPZen or Ishaan plz help guys, I want to get this upgrade if required by tomorrow. I need your advice on tyre size and make.
Old 1st August 2011, 20:46   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Great thread- was looking to start one myself but will stay aubscribed to this instead.

I plan to swap to 205/55R15s after the warranty period of 2 years- the Apollos should have completed around 30-35K km by then, I hope. Was toying with the idea of upgrading to 16 inchers, so if anyone has any first hand experience with these WITHOUT compromising on ride quality, please share. Else it'll stay 15 inches.
Old 6th August 2011, 16:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I got my vento's tyre changed to 205 55 R15 Yokohama. the ride is horrible. i went to goa from hyd, every small speed breaker line i had to literally stop before going. If i did not the car would bounce all over the place. Every pot hole where i could not slow the car would hit with such a thud, no comfort at all.

The car wobbled at high speed of 170 above. it was like driving a new verna. i guess 205 55 R15 is very bad choice.

Any suggestion guys. Would 195 60 R15 be good.
205/55/R15 should not change ride quality as the height of the sidewall remains the same! The grip should improve and the steering will become heavier and that gives some people more confidence in chucking the car around. Wobbling is probably because the wheels were not balanced or properly balanced when the tyres were changed (this is mandatory).
195/60/15 is not a good upsize as the car will feel more "mushy" and bob a bit (feel more SUV-ish) due to the HIGHER sidewall profile. Its ok i guess if RIDE QUALITY is more important than HANDLING.
The question i have is HOW DID YOU FEEL THE CAR WAS ON THE STOCK 185/60/15 TYRES? I did feel that the car bobbed a bit on undulating surfaces, nowhere near as much as the new verna, but still noticeable. I have hence booked a Polo as i feel it is a better handler and thats where the fun is for me!!
Old 7th August 2011, 00:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossdoc View Post
205/55/R15 should not change ride quality as the height of the sidewall remains the same! The grip should improve and the steering will become heavier and that gives some people more confidence in chucking the car around. Wobbling is probably because the wheels were not balanced or properly balanced when the tyres were changed (this is mandatory).
195/60/15 is not a good upsize as the car will feel more "mushy" and bob a bit (feel more SUV-ish) due to the HIGHER sidewall profile. Its ok i guess if RIDE QUALITY is more important than HANDLING.
The question i have is HOW DID YOU FEEL THE CAR WAS ON THE STOCK 185/60/15 TYRES? I did feel that the car bobbed a bit on undulating surfaces, nowhere near as much as the new verna, but still noticeable. I have hence booked a Polo as i feel it is a better handler and thats where the fun is for me!!

The car's ride quality was better when it was on stock tyre's than the S drive 205/55/15 i have now. It was wobbly on speeds in excess of 175 so maybe the road condition and that this car does not have lot of down force could be the issue, or the tyre pressure, balancing could be the issue . I remember the faster we drove cielo the more it would stick to the ground. Its not that in this case.

But the ride quality is very bad in 205/55/15 in S drive. IF i go over big pot hole, the car would bang in it so hard that i am not sure if it will come out fine or not.

there are many small speed bumps on the way to Goa, usually six in a row. When we drove in Optra to Goa, if in high speeds we could over em, if we could not slow down. In Vento with 205, the car rattles up its ridiculous.

The cornering is amazing. But as these car are not going to be cornered every day, it is better to have a combination of both. So i think 195/60/15 would be good choice as it would be better than stock tyres in every way, comfort and handling.
Old 7th August 2011, 07:54   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It was wobbly on speeds in excess of 175 so maybe the road condition and that this car does not have lot of down force could be the issue, or the tyre pressure, balancing could be the issue .
Uh no...MAYBE the issue is that you are doing 175 kmph in a Vento .
Drive safe buddy- I don't think we have any roads in India that can sustain speeds like that.
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 11:24   #42
BHPian

Quote:
The car's ride quality was better when it was on stock tyre's than the S drive 205/55/15 i have now. It was wobbly on speeds in excess of 175 so maybe the road condition and that this car does not have lot of down force could be the issue, or the tyre pressure, balancing could be the issue . I remember the faster we drove cielo the more it would stick to the ground. Its not that in this case.

But the ride quality is very bad in 205/55/15 in S drive. IF i go over big pot hole, the car would bang in it so hard that i am not sure if it will come out fine or not.

there are many small speed bumps on the way to Goa, usually six in a row. When we drove in Optra to Goa, if in high speeds we could over em, if we could not slow down. In Vento with 205, the car rattles up its ridiculous.

The cornering is amazing. But as these car are not going to be cornered every day, it is better to have a combination of both. So i think 195/60/15 would be good choice as it would be better than stock tyres in every way, comfort and handling.
As noopster said you should not be driving a car consistently near its top speed and that too over road imperfections. PLEASE DRIVE SAFE! The Vento is a decent, not GREAT handler and i did feel it bobbing over undulating surfaces.
Yoko S Drives are the best tyres i have ever owned. I had them on my 2003 Accent and they were just brilliant. The car stuck like a leech on wet and dry well surfaced roads. Obviously any performance tyre is not going to feel great on bad roads.
You cannot compare the ride of the Optra versus the Vento over speedbumps...just as both cars will feel very different around corners.
I am guessing the Vento will rattle and thud just as much with stock tyres over the bumps with stock tyres! I still would say do not change to 195/60 unless you drive on unsurfaced roads everyday (like we have here in Cochin).
Maybe what you should look at is a suspension upgrade! Adjustable Bilsteins for example. Then you go from comfort to sports mode at the touch of a button and not worry so much about the tyres!
hossdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 12:01   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossdoc View Post
As noopster said you should not be driving a car consistently near its top speed and that too over road imperfections. PLEASE DRIVE SAFE! The Vento is a decent, not GREAT handler and i did feel it bobbing over undulating surfaces.
I would disagree. Vento is very stable even at high speeds. His problem could be the road quality more than anything else. I managed to drive the car at 160 for about half a minute on an empty and wide stretch of NH4 and found it extremely stable. No undulations at all. All this on the stock tyres. The only negative I see with the Vento stock tyres (Apollo Acelere) is the incredible noise on concrete roads.

Driving performance tyres on bad roads is not a good idea anyway. The comfort is already low with the thinner sidewalls. The jerks gets amplified by bad roads!
Old 7th August 2011, 14:43   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I would disagree. Vento is very stable even at high speeds. His problem could be the road quality more than anything else. I managed to drive the car at 160 for about half a minute on an empty and wide stretch of NH4 and found it extremely stable. No undulations at all. All this on the stock tyres. The only negative I see with the Vento stock tyres (Apollo Acelere) is the incredible noise on concrete roads.

Driving performance tyres on bad roads is not a good idea anyway. The comfort is already low with the thinner sidewalls. The jerks gets amplified by bad roads!
Did not say the car is not stable. It is extremely stable but there is a slight floaty feeling on undulating SURFACES...a good stretch of NH4 would be quite smooth, not undulating, i would assume. The bobbing is nowhere as pronounced as on the new Verna, which is just HORRIBLE at 80 plus. I am just saying this in comparison to "stiffer" cars like the laura and the 3 series.
hossdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 18:14   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Wheel upsizing is quite common and is done for a variety of reasons. But some of the reasons that people justify upsizing can be myths in reality.

Most of us believe that wider tyres have a higher contact patch and hence provide better grip or stopping ability. In reality the contact patch is a factor of the weight of the car and air pressure inside the tyre only. The contact patch area is the same with a wider or narrow tyre if the weight and tyre pressure is constant. The contact patch on a wider tyre is wider and shorter, whereas on a narrower tyre it is narrower and longer.

Wider tyers with shorter sidewalls aide cornering ability as the tyre flex is lower and results in more direct feedback to the driver.

Infact a wider tyre is more susceptible to hydroplaning than a narrower tire as it is not as effecient in disbursing water.

Wider performance tyres have better gripping compounds which generate more grip and control than standard OE tyres which our car manufactures provide. It is this quality of the tyre that improves grip and not the size per se.

Going too low on the profile increases the load on the suspension as the tyre looses its cushioning ability as there is less vertical rubber to flex, and the shock is transferred more directly to the suspension. Which is why many mfrs say that you void the suspension warranty when you upsize.

Of course one reality you cant argue with, is that cars really look hot with wide low pro tires.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 7th August 2011 at 18:20.
Santoshbhat is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks