Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2013, 16:55   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I replaced my four regular-run tyres recently with 195/60 R15 Yokohoma V550 db series comfort tyres. On one adventurous run on semi-broken roads, my right front tyre hit a flat stone while executing a fast turn. Immediate sidewall bubbling resulted.

I replaced it with the spare and reported the issue to my dealer. Yokohoma's representative immediately called me, had the tyre checked at a dealer's, confirmed that since it was caused by a collision no warranty replacement was possible ad then to my pleasant surprise offered a 25% discount on the new tyre as a goodwill gesture, since the tyre had barely run 1000km before bubbling up.

Replacement happened very smoothly as well- the Yoko rep had the tyre delivered to the dealer of my choice (who had fitted the original set) and he billed me 25% less than what I had paid for the original. I walked away feeling good.

Two thumbs up to Yoko!
Old 8th January 2013, 17:14   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
On one adventurous run on semi-broken roads, my right front tyre hit a flat stone while executing a fast turn. Immediate sidewall bubbling resulted.

I replaced it with the spare and reported the issue to my dealer. Yokohoma's representative ... offered a 25% discount on the new tyre as a goodwill gesture, since the tyre had barely run 1000km before bubbling up.

Two thumbs up to Yoko!
To be honest and outright, Anoop, I feel you are being a really nice customer out there, giving them a +ve feedback/outlook, even though the facts are thus - one of 4 brand new tires has developed a bubble within the first 1000+ kms.

I hope the current set of 4 serve you much better on this matter.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 8th January 2013 at 17:25.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 17:17   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I replaced my four regular-run tyres recently with 195/60 R15 Yokohoma V550 db series comfort tyres. On one adventurous run on semi-broken roads, my right front tyre hit a flat stone while executing a fast turn. Immediate sidewall bubbling resulted.

I replaced it with the spare and reported the issue to my dealer. Yokohoma's representative immediately called me, had the tyre checked at a dealer's, confirmed that since it was caused by a collision no warranty replacement was possible ad then to my pleasant surprise offered a 25% discount on the new tyre as a goodwill gesture, since the tyre had barely run 1000km before bubbling up.

Replacement happened very smoothly as well- the Yoko rep had the tyre delivered to the dealer of my choice (who had fitted the original set) and he billed me 25% less than what I had paid for the original. I walked away feeling good.

Two thumbs up to Yoko!
Unsure whether to be happy of the same or be sad on the choice of tires. This is the very reason I would stay away from the soft side wall tires and stick to BS which is best suited for Indian conditions. Not too long ago, BS also didn't understand Indian conditions well but now has. Must have set you back by 4k atleast. Affirms my faith in BS again and that I should stay away from prematurely replacing my vectras which have done well until now. Maybe am yet to see the other side to comment, but another deterrent is the lack of availablity in OE size and I don't see a reason to upsize too. Though am happy for you noops for getting 1k less.
Old 8th January 2013, 17:32   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
I replaced my four regular-run tyres recently with 195/60 R15 Yokohoma V550 db series comfort tyres.
======== I walked away feeling good.

Two thumbs up to Yoko!
Oops.. I was planning to buy the db too, but reading your post makes me thinks otherwise. Maybe I am better of with the stock Applo and replace this something that can handle Gurgaon's off road.
Old 8th January 2013, 18:45   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

I was expecting this kind of response, to be honest . The fact is that Yoko db (like Michelin Primacy) are known to have soft sidewalls but are pretty unbeatable when it comes to comfort. 90% of my usage is o city roads and good highways. The rest of the time I need to be careful.

The sad fact is that on this occasion I got carried away- and paid for it. Was driving behind a friend's car- a Swift- that took the corner much better than me. I realised I had hit something major the instant I hit and we were bracing for a blowout but nothing happened. Discovered the sidewall bubble when I parked at journey's end.

My reaction to Yoko is based on the fact that they did everything by the book and, having determined that my case did not qualify for a warranty replacement (rightly so), proactively offered a goodwill discount. In fact I have been told that I could have bargained for much more but I was quite satisfied with the response and accepted what they offered.

My Swift is on A-Drives and I have faced no such problem in the 28,000 km I have used them, on all kinds of terrain. In fact I mentioned this to the Yoko rep afterwards and he said he was glad to have helped out a loyal Yokohoma customer

The fact is that I *am* a bit of a softie and it's no secret. But commonsense tells me that this is probably the best outcome that could be hoped for me under the circumstances. A shrewder member would have pushed for more.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 22:37   #186
BHPian

I would be getting my car tomorrow
can someone shed light on which of these are better in 195/60 R15 Guise.
1. Bridgestone MY-02
2. Bridgestone AR10
3. Yokohama AC01 (C- Drives)

My priorities would be
1. No Noise
2. Comfort
3. Durable (my city has non-existent roads)
4. Grip both wet and dry

Dismissed the Michelin Primacy LC and they won't be able to withstand the pothole ridden roads my city has on offer besides my regular visit to village roads. (Thank you governance)

I am tending towards Bridgestone My-02, but cannot find many reviews on it here either of AR10 or MY-02 .

Or should I keep the original tyres on ? Apollo Aceleres ? and save that money for better ICE
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:40   #187
BHPian

Hey noopster. Any change in the mileage your car is returning now after change of shoes.
Old 8th April 2013, 00:08   #188
BHPian

So finally gave in today. Got Michelin primacy LC on my Vento in the 195/60R15 spec. Immediately noticed steering weighing a little , the engine and wind noise has been amplified since there is no road noise at all now. Small patches on the road which were felt on the vectras go unnoticed now. Hope that they don't cut. My decision finally was due to the understanding that michelins are a different breed altogether. So any other tire would have been equal with the exception of these michelins. Will update on long term ride later
Old 8th April 2013, 12:20   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsingh007 View Post
I would be getting my car tomorrow
can someone shed light on which of these are better in 195/60 R15 Guise.
1. Bridgestone MY-02
2. Bridgestone AR10
3. Yokohama AC01 (C- Drives)

My priorities would be
1. No Noise
2. Comfort
3. Durable (my city has non-existent roads)
4. Grip both wet and dry

Dismissed the Michelin Primacy LC and they won't be able to withstand the pothole ridden roads my city has on offer besides my regular visit to village roads. (Thank you governance)

I am tending towards Bridgestone My-02, but cannot find many reviews on it here either of AR10 or MY-02 .

Or should I keep the original tyres on ? Apollo Aceleres ? and save that money for better ICE
I am using MY02 from many months now and driven about 5k post upgrade and the performance is amazing. I believe MY02 does cover well on points 1,2 & 4. Tyre noise that i used to hear earlier is now gone and its much quieter at high speeds above 120k. Regarding durability, i haven't faced any issues till date but i am based out at pune and roads are pretty descent here, so last 5k has been smooth. Being a sporty tyre pattern expect a FE drop of about 2 kmpl as per whatever you are getting today with apollo stock tyres. But the best thing with this sporty tyre is now increased confidence and better breaking on unfurnished surfaces and solid control while turning the car.

Except for reduced FE this pattern rock!
Old 9th April 2013, 23:58   #190

I read many posts here and in utter confusion.

Please help me identify the right rolls for Vento HL-P...
1. No Noise
2. Grip for 110 to Zero
3. Steering smooth
4. Reasonable price
5. Durable - long drives
6. Quick maneuver
7. Must not protrude (show) out of the car body

Will run on Nitrogen

Delhi / Gurgaon
Old 13th April 2013, 01:17   #191
Senior - BHPian

I need to upgrade tyres as well to 195/60R15.
Please suggest...

Requirements
1. Durability - No sidewall bulges. Less prone to punctures
2. Better braking (dry grip).

I am in utter confusion as well.
Old 13th April 2013, 07:21   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I need to upgrade tyres as well to 195/60R15.
Please suggest...

Requirements
1. Durability - No sidewall bulges. Less prone to punctures
2. Better braking (dry grip).

I am in utter confusion as well.
Dunno on a comparison angle wrt different brands, but Conti CPC2 satisfies both criteria perfectly. Would recommend them.
Old 13th April 2013, 11:09   #193
Senior - BHPian

Have had Yokohama S-Drive from the day I bought the car. Upsized to 205/55/15 on stock alloys. Perfect for the Vento. Near zero difference in OD, brilliant wet & dry grip, great braking, great ride. All around winner.

Having said that, sure there are other options as well, my experience has been great with the S-Drives.

Cheers
Old 14th April 2013, 18:12   #194
BHPian

How is yoko avs db 195*60*15 for polo tdi highline on stock rims.
Old 14th April 2013, 18:20   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
How is yoko avs db 195*60*15 for polo tdi highline on stock rims.
Noopster has them on his Vento AT. and he is pretty satisfied with them. I though chose the Michelin primacy LC and am pretty happy too. You can put any as long as u consider these are the softer types when compared to the types of Bridgestone, Pirelli, etc

Most Viewed