Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2013, 18:34   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
How is yoko avs db 195*60*15 for polo tdi highline on stock rims.
I am using the avs db series on my Cruze (215/55 setup) & pretty much satisfied with them on overall basis im sure they will provide more than enough grip for the Polo & be comfortable at the same time.

Also other option is the Michelin PLC (have them on my Scala) & the comfort levels are supreme

Last edited by karan561 : 14th April 2013 at 18:35.
Old 14th April 2013, 18:41   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

I am using the avs db series on my Cruze (215/55 setup) & pretty much satisfied with them on overall basis im sure they will provide more than enough grip for the Polo & be comfortable at the same time.

Also other option is the Michelin PLC (have them on my Scala) & the comfort levels are supreme
Wow. U best to tell us which is better of the two. Given both are comfort oriented tires.
Old 14th April 2013, 19:05   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post
Wow. U best to tell us which is better of the two. Given both are comfort oriented tires.
Primacy LC the ride quality is better than Yoko dB, but at higher speeds both are at par on ride quality.

Grip / Performance levels are similar also the tire noise is not a concern for both the brands

Overall Primacy LC is more cushioning than the Yokos simply because of Michelins being soft, but Yokos catch up on being slightly more sturdy than the Michelins.

karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 13:57   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Dunno on a comparison angle wrt different brands, but Conti CPC2 satisfies both criteria perfectly. Would recommend them.
I am right now more inclined towards Bridgestone. MY02.
Is it a good choice? or is it better to go for Turanza/Potenza?

Whats the cost of Conti??
Old 17th April 2013, 17:08   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

I have already posted my experience with MY02 in this same thread. Not just the road noise has reduced significantly at higher speeds but also increased comfort on bumpy road and better control while cornering on high speeds. Feel much much safer now with the upgrade. Though there is a mileage reduction of 2 kmpl as its a sporty tyre but worth every rupee spent!
Old 17th April 2013, 17:24   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesh View Post
I have already posted my experience with MY02 in this same thread. Not just the road noise has reduced significantly at higher speeds but also increased comfort on bumpy road and better control while cornering on high speeds. Feel much much safer now with the upgrade. Though there is a mileage reduction of 2 kmpl as its a sporty tyre but worth every rupee spent!
Better braking is much needed, but a 2 kmpl is huge. I don’t think that much drop will be there unless you upsize. Well 185-195 is not really an sizeable upsize. May be you are pushing it more thereby reducing the FE.
22K for the set is not bad considering it is a premium offering from BS.

Regarding braking can you really feel that the ABS kicking in a lot later?
Old 17th April 2013, 17:36   #202
BHPian

Quote:

Better braking is much needed, but a 2 kmpl is huge. I don't think that much drop will be there unless you upsize. Well 185-195 is not really an sizeable upsize. May be you are pushing it more thereby reducing the FE.
22K for the set is not bad considering it is a premium offering from BS.

Regarding braking can you really feel that the ABS kicking in a lot later?
I did upsize to 195-60-R15. Few of our friends suggested its an ODO error of approx 2% as its configured as per the 185 size but i dont have Much idea on how ODO calculates the FE. I have driven my vento for more than 45k of which the first 42k was with stock apollos. I dont see any change of ABS behaviour post this change. I did not fully understand the question on ABS kicking off late. I dont think there is any link to tyre upsizing with ABS trigger.
Old 17th April 2013, 18:11   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

5300 INR per tire. More or less the same price what @souravc got in Mumbai.
Both are more or less good enough.

Quote:
Better braking is much needed, but a 2 kmpl is huge. I don’t think that much drop will be there unless you upsize.
Quote:
Though there is a mileage reduction of 2 kmpl as its a sporty tyre but worth every rupee spent!
Almost 10k kms done since the tire upgrade to 195 series, I haven't seen any significant change in mileage. The fluctuations are there as noticed earlier on the Apollos - mainly dependent on how I drive.

Note - Atleast 60-70% of my driving is highway based, FE calculations are tank-to-tank based.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 17th April 2013 at 18:18.
Old 18th April 2013, 00:21   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did upsize to 195-60-R15. Few of our friends suggested its an ODO error of approx 2% as its configured as per the 185 size but i dont have Much idea on how ODO calculates the FE.
The Odo is generally calculated by according to the RPM at the wheel (generally rear wheel for a FWD vehicle). So Ideally you will clock 2% extra kms without knowing. Which means FE should come down by 2%. Wider tyres would call for another 3-4% Fe drop.
But a 2kmpl is 12% if you get a FE of 17kmpl. That is a lot. I would get the alingment checked if I were you.

Quote:
I have driven my vento for more than 45k of which the first 42k was with stock apollos. I dont see any change of ABS behaviour post this change. I did not fully understand the question on ABS kicking off late. I dont think there is any link to tyre upsizing with ABS trigger.
You can put huge disc brakes on all 4 wheels but you cant get better stopping distance unless you work on improved traction.
If you have better traction, wheels will not lock up or lock up at a later stage. Hence the ABS will kick in later. If you have ridiculously thick tyres say 255, ABS will probably never kick in our sedans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Almost 10k kms done since the tire upgrade to 195 series, I haven't seen any significant change in mileage. The fluctuations are there as noticed earlier on the Apollos - mainly dependent on how I drive.
Generally there should not be any significant FE drop.

Actually I stumbled upon a thread which speaks highly against CPC2.
It may a one off case but still.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/93147-continental-cpc2-just-not-worth.html

Last edited by oxyzen : 18th April 2013 at 00:23.
Old 18th April 2013, 08:00   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I stumbled upon a thread which speaks highly against CPC2.
It may a one off case but still.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...not-worth.html
OT discussion, but still here's my 2 cents.

That post clearly is of a disgruntled user who's more concerned with the unfortunate incident of losing two tires on the same day. Can happen with any brand. I'd rather go with @nikhilb2008 & @vid6639's replies than the OP's concerns.

And as for sidewall thickness, @souravc has conducted analysis on CPC2 & few other brands in his thread some time back - clearly the CPC2 had decent sidewalls.

(Anyway) In the end, I know the roads that I have taken the Vento on (with Apollos & CPC2) - extremely hard & broken down roads and both sets have done quite well. Especially the CPC2 as they still haven't given me any problems so far. I'm a satisfied user.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 18th April 2013 at 08:01.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 16:43   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys I could not find a thread for VW Polo tyre upgrade. Now the Polo highline and GT comes with the noisy Apollo 185/60 R15 tyres.

Incase we want to upsize to 16 inchers especially considering the power and mod potential of the GT Tsi, which is the correct size to go for 205/50 R16 or 195/55 R16. Not many options in 205 size, save the Yoko S.Drives/AR1's. Any decent asymmetrical tyres you guys know of which is available in India off the shelf?
Old 27th April 2013, 16:34   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Guys I could not find a thread for VW Polo tyre upgrade. Now the Polo highline and GT comes with the noisy Apollo 185/60 R15 tyres.

Incase we want to upsize to 16 inchers especially considering the power and mod potential of the GT Tsi, which is the correct size to go for 205/50 R16 or 195/55 R16. Not many options in 205 size, save the Yoko S.Drives/AR1's. Any decent asymmetrical tyres you guys know of which is available in India off the shelf?
How about mrf zlo?

Its performance oriented and should be available in 16 inches too!
Old 6th May 2013, 15:42   #208
BHPian

Just upgraded my Polo TDI Highline tyres to S-Drive 205*55*15. last one day with them do not see any issues related to comfort and pulling. Though if I compare that with 195*55*15 S-drive (on my cousin POLO) its heavier than that. Rest after covering some miles on it.
Old 6th May 2013, 16:26   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

How about mrf zlo?

Its performance oriented and should be available in 16 inches too!
MRF ZLO is not available in 205/50 R16. Only 1.Yokohama S drive
2.Yokohama A drive R1
3. Apollo Acelere Maxx
4. Imports like Nankang, Maxxis, Nexen and Kenda
5. Came across Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max also but didn't go for them as it had poor reviews.

Just went in for my 2nd set of 16ers. Earlier I was rolling on Yoko A drive R1s, went for Apollo Acelere Maxx this time. No particular reason for the change of make. Wanted to try a different set of tyres, the substantial cost savings were a bonus. Also my running is merely 7k km a year of primarily city driving.

I got my hands on them 20 minutes back!

Name:  ForumRunner_20130506_162452.png
Views: 3469
Size:  765.0 KB
himanshu_j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 09:14   #210
Team-BHP Support

Which tire on the Vento would upgrade the GC by a bit?

Please reply ASAP. The Car would be hitting the shop in next 30 mins

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks