Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 19:40   #241
BHPian

re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

To add to the discussion on tyre upgrades.. I was at the VW Thrissur service center two days back and I found a white Vento HL with a black roof parked there that was on 215/45 R17 Apollo tyres. Obviously the alloys were upgraded too. The front tyres were projecting a little from the body but the rear ones looked fine. (Sorry no photograph). I am not advocating that kind of upgrade here. Just saying that somebody out there has it done

Also for people contemplating upgrades here is a link I found that calculates what should be safe for your car and also the difference between the speedometer reading and the actual speed if you go for the upgrade. It also mentions that a change in the speedometer reading also effects the odometer reading.

http://www.tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm

I will be upgrading my stock Apollos to Bridgestone MY02 195/60 R15 (Rs. 5500) this week. I was thinking about the 205/50 R15 Yokos (@speed_kills' suggestion) but I am not willing to take the risk with lower ground clearance on the roads that I drive on. I got 31K out of my Apollos and I am seeing some cut marks on them now.. soft tyres? I don't know. Recently I have had two punctures (screws). Anyways they were pretty comfortable while they lasted. So no complaints on that front.

Hope this helps.
Old 7th October 2013, 01:43   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Guys I could not find a thread for VW Polo tyre upgrade. Now the Polo highline and GT comes with the noisy Apollo 185/60 R15 tyres.
Hey did you manage to upgrade? Did the VW service folks mention anything about the warranty and its connection with tire upsizing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
MRF ZLO is not available in 205/50 R16. Only

I got my hands on them 20 minutes back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Have had Yokohama S-Drive from the day I bought the car. Upsized to 205/55/15 on stock alloys.
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post
I recently replaced the stock Aceleres with Michelin Primacy LC, 195/60 R15, on my new Vento.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I upgraded to Bridgestone Turanza ER 60 (195/60/R15) and I am willing to vouch for it reliability and grip levels.
Hey Guys, quoted you folks to get some feedback about the VW polo/ Vento tyre upgrade. I got a GT Tdi and I actually wanted to get the tyre upsized from day one. But then as I mentioned somewhere in another thread the service manager mentioned about ABS sensor issues / ABS controller in ECM ( or something ) that can go bust if the tyre is upgraded and the replacement wont be under warranty.
I remember some of the forum members mentioning this as a mere statement that is not really true.

Anyway reading from your posts in this thread I understand that you guys are having an upsized tyre in your cars. I would like to have your feedback on this topic after the upgrade. If no ABS sensor issue,its a good news to me and can inspire me to take the plunge. But if yes, was it covered under warranty by the VW folks ? Did they try to connect the upgrade to the issue?

If we have anyone here who can support or negate this claim with some technical information, then nothing like that.

Waiting to hear from you.
Cheers
Old 7th October 2013, 09:13   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Hey did you manage to upgrade? Did the VW service folks mention anything about the warranty and its connection with tire upsizing?
I have upgraded to 205/50/R16 in my GT TSi. There hasnt been any issues with the ABS or ESP. I am not sure about warranty as I have many other mods in my car but I guess if you don't upgrade the rim size but upgrade the tyres only, there should not be any issues with warranty.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 14:26   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway reading from your posts in this thread I understand that you guys are having an upsized tyre in your cars. I would like to have your feedback on this topic after the upgrade. If no ABS sensor issue,its a good news to me and can inspire me to take the plunge. But if yes, was it covered under warranty by the VW folks ? Did they try to connect the upgrade to the issue?
No issues whatsoever with ABS sensor. Have been happy with my upgrade (Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R15) and have been running on these tyres for about 11 months now (12K Kms). Need to get my car serviced next month (1st service) - will update if service folks comment on the upgrade or if any warranty issues come up during service.
pc73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 20:29   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey Guys, quoted you folks to get some feedback about the VW polo/ Vento tyre upgrade. I got a GT Tdi and I actually wanted to get the tyre upsized from day one. But then as I mentioned somewhere in another thread the service manager mentioned about ABS sensor issues / ABS controller in ECM ( or something ) that can go bust if the tyre is upgraded and the replacement wont be under warranty.
I remember some of the forum members mentioning this as a mere statement that is not really true.

If we have anyone here who can support or negate this claim with some technical information, then nothing like that.

Waiting to hear from you.
Cheers

There are no issues of any kind. I bought my vento in 2011 Sept, done some 15k kms with the upgraded tyres, no issues whatsoever...go right ahead. The difference is amazing
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 20:52   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
There are no issues of any kind. I bought my vento in 2011 Sept, done some 15k kms with the upgraded tyres, no issues whatsoever...go right ahead. The difference is amazing
What tyre upgrade did you go for? What are the amazing advantages?
Old 20th October 2013, 23:45   #247
BHPian

[quote=GTO;2195204]I would highly recommend your sticking with 205/55 R15. It'll give you grip as well as retain the ride.

Bumping an old thread!
I am in the market for a tyre upgrade for my 2 day old Polo GT TDi (Review and write ups are in progress, but I need help from the tyre gurus! )

My initial thoughts were to go for 195/60/R15, but after going through numerous threads, I am thinking 205/55/R15 would be a good choice, owing to a marginal difference in the diameter.

My question is, I like the light minimal feedback steering feel that is being offered in the Polo GT TDi with the stock 15 inch alloys, How much of that feel would I lose?
Old 21st October 2013, 17:46   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
[GTO]I would highly recommend your sticking with 205/55 R15. It'll give you grip as well as retain the ride.

Bumping an old thread!
I am in the market for a tyre upgrade for my 2 day old Polo GT TDi (Review and write ups are in progress, but I need help from the tyre gurus! )

My initial thoughts were to go for 195/60/R15, but after going through numerous threads, I am thinking 205/55/R15 would be a good choice, owing to a marginal difference in the diameter.

My question is, I like the light minimal feedback steering feel that is being offered in the Polo GT TDi with the stock 15 inch alloys, How much of that feel would I lose?
Well, I have a Polo GT TDi and I just changed my tyres to the mentioned 205/55 R15 on Saturday. I drove it for nearly 80kms with the new tyre.
As you rightly said , this size has the minimum deviation w.r.t the stock tyres. The steering in GT TDi IMO is heavier than in a normal polo.
After the upgrade, I dint feel much difference in the lightness of the steering, but definitely the car feels more direct in corners.

I will not recommend 195/60 R15 to be honest; the difference is almost +2% and I am sure due to increased sidewall height, the improvement in cornering speeds or looks may not be significant. 195/55 R15 on the other hand is 1.28% smaller than the stock tyres. Also note that 195/55 R15 is the tyre offered with 15" alloys in UK. ( except for bluemotion ).

I was also in a similar dilemma for the past couple of weeks regarding the right size. Finally decided to go for 205/55 R15 yokohama S drives as it has the least deviation from the stock size.
Old 22nd October 2013, 23:06   #249
BHPian

Thanks Rejoy! that is great feedback and it helps that you have shared your perspective!
I doubt if the steering rack or its feeling has been amped up, as I had similar questions to the sales folks.

Could you also share the tyre pressure that you have maintained on your 205s?
With a marginal increase in tyre pressure you can make your steering lighter but the flipslide is, you end up losing on ride quality.

With 205s my options are getting really limited
1) MRF ZLOs
2) Yokohama S drives

My additional requirement apart from maintaining the Light Steering wheel is to ensure I have a tyre with a strong or a stiff sidewall so that I can take the B roads and the A roads with equal ease!
Old 27th October 2013, 16:55   #250
BHPian

Hi guys. I myself am taking delivery of the Polo GT TSI next week and bit confused regarding the tire upgrade. Have shortlisted cpc2, Primacy 3 ST and energy xm2 in 195/60 R15. Can you guys give your opinion on these.

thank you
Old 28th October 2013, 01:50   #251
BHPian

drpudi, Great pick! GT TSi is an amazing machine.
205/55/R15 seems to be the right upgrade when compared to 195/60/R15.

Yoko S drives may not be a bad choice, unless you are into insane speeds.
raajks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 09:42   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
drpudi, Great pick! GT TSi is an amazing machine.
205/55/R15 seems to be the right upgrade when compared to 195/60/R15.

Yoko S drives may not be a bad choice, unless you are into insane speeds.
Thanks raajks. But am little wary of a higher section tire as my driving will be mainly in city and also don't want to compromise on drive comfort for that occasional weekend driving. So, i think 195/60 will be a better option. Only thing stopping me is the side wall strength of primacy 3 ST and XM2 and its also bit expensive at 6200 & 6000 respectively. Any one got a better deal for these tires ?
Old 31st October 2013, 21:42   #253
BHPian

Veterans,

I am planning to upsize the tyres of my all new Vento TDI from stock Appolo 185/60/R15 to 205/55/R15, which is here by concluded to be the 'perfect' upgrade. But I am confused regarding which one to go for.

My selections are:

1) Yoko S Drive .
2) Michelin PS3.

Can someone explain me in simple words with the pros & corns of both. I am the one who drives normally between 80 - 120 kmph range and mostly at night. Monthly I drive around 1K - 1.5K Kms. Please consider the conditions of Kerala highway since 90% of my drives will be with in Kerala.
Old 1st November 2013, 01:22   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikz View Post
Veterans,

I am planning to upsize the tyres of my all new Vento TDI from stock Appolo 185/60/R15 to 205/55/R15, which is here by concluded to be the 'perfect' upgrade. But I am confused regarding which one to go for.

My selections are:

1) Yoko S Drive .
2) Michelin PS3.
Are you sure you will get Michelin Ps3 in 205/55 R15 size ? In their Indian website I cant see that size..
http://www.michelin.in/tyre/patternd...ar/PilotSport3
With respect to size yes 205/55 R15 is the one with least amount of deviation and I chose the same for my polo GT as well.

I have my friends who are using Yoko S drives in Bangalore/ Kerala and their feedbacks on these tires are good.
Sure these wont be able to take the beating that the Indian roads throw at them, but not bad for the performance they offer .
Tire experts normally say that its better to avoid tires which are manufactured in China, even if they are Yokos.
Old 15th November 2013, 11:43   #255
BHPian

Guys,

Whats the right size for upgrade? 195/60 or 205/55 ? The Vento am getting today has Goodyear and I want to change it right from the showroom. Please advice. Based on experience of the people here am planning to go for CPC2.

Most Viewed