Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2014, 17:10   #301
BHPian

re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I usually maintain 32 PSI . I fill nitrogen. I am not sure if I should fill up 35 PSI on my highway runs.
By the way since this is a tyre forum I upgraded to Michelin Primacy and the car feels much more planted and tyre noise is much lesser. Also I had Apollo Acceleres as stock tyres and I had two of those sliced as if with a sharp knife on the wall after I passed a pothole. I also saw in the VW workshop an Apollo Accelere on a Polo which had a gaping slit on the wall. I am not sure if those tyres were not upto the mark. I have been very happy upgrading and I would highly recommend one to fellow Vento owners.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 22:11   #302
BHPian

Still making up my mind on the tyres. Feedback on Yokohama seems to be that they are bit harder and noisy. I absolutely dont want them then. I am not going to drive above speeds of 120 kmph anyway.

Has anyone tried any bridgestone models for Vento, size 195/60 like the potenza GIII (MY01 or just the sporty one). If so how good is the ride comfort and noise levels? Also want the tyres to last at least 40k kms.
Old 5th May 2014, 12:49   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Still making up my mind on the tyres. Feedback on Yokohama seems to be that they are bit harder and noisy. I absolutely dont want them then. I am not going to drive above speeds of 120 kmph anyway.
If you want a soft and plush ride with very low noise, go for the Yokohama V550 dB in 195/60/R15. Fantastic ride and very very low on noise.
Old 7th May 2014, 11:24   #304
BHPian

Getting closer to finalizing the tyres. Ruled out S drives and CPC2 due to following reasons:

1. Yokahoma S drive - Feedback is good performance, but hard and noisy
2. Continental CPC2 - Feedback is expensive, too much wear, mixed feedback on sidewall softness.
3. 195/60 sizes - Due to mixed feedback on body roll and mushiness!

Thinking of MRF Z.Lo 205/55/R15 88H as I heard that they have good grip and still less noisy, expect good life too. Cost also seem to be in favor at Rs.5000 apiece. Any feedback in this forum?
Old 12th May 2014, 10:51   #305
BHPian

Got the tyres changed last week end. Went with MRF this time. MRF Z.L.O 205/55/R15 got for Rs.5000 each and including wheel balancing alignment cost Rs.21000 (From R.R tyres @ Adyar, Chennai).

Initial feedback after 100 kms. Much improved ride quality and reduced noise levels, marginal increase in steering stiffness, reduced body roll. These tyres may not be the best in the market but for the price point feels good. Mileage has not dropped as mentioned by the shop person, but have to wait and watch. Normally I get 19+ when driving to work, this time it was 21+.

Price quotes from different shops:
Lals Lyods road: Rs.5700
B.M Lal: Rs.5600
Tyrezrus: Rs.5350
R.R Tyres, Adyar: Rs.5000

Feedback (initial after 100+ kms):
Comfort: Better
Steering response: Better (Marginal)
Noise level: Lower (Very much)
Dry Grip: Better
Wet Grip: Untested
The car glides over uneven surfaces with ease and without being jittery and going all over the place. My neck feels good as the vibrations are not getting passed up.

There is a left pull when I take my hands off the steering, there was this kind of behaviour with stock tyres too but I observe it more now. One of my friends with a Vento with Yokohama S drives also complained about this. Anything to do with Vento steering?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-imag3202.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-imag3205.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-imag3211.jpg  

Last edited by LandCruiser : 12th May 2014 at 10:52.
Old 13th May 2014, 22:21   #306
BHPian

In the market for a new tires, the Accelers are finally in their last leg at 35k KMs.

Keen to upsize to 205/55 - confused between CPC2 and S-Drives, my driving includes 60 kms/day with patches with quite a lot of potholes as well as weekend high speed drives on highways.

Worried about the feedback on the two choices, while S-Drives seem to hamper the ride quality, CPC2 seem to be pretty delicate. Now, was curious to know, if the ride quality on the S-Drives be poorer than even the stock Apollo Accelers?

I certainly don't want to make the traffic and pot hole ridden ride more bumpy and stiff.

Would appreciate help.
Old 14th May 2014, 12:18   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

CPC2 is not delicate!! Wonder where you guys are getting this from>?

I used CPC2 for 37000 kms and after that, my rims were bent due to some impacts but the tyres didnt have a scratch on them!

CPC2 have other disadvantages but soft sidewall is not one of them!!
Old 20th May 2014, 21:27   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
In the market for a new tires, the Accelers are finally in their last leg at 35k KMs.

Keen to upsize to 205/55 - confused between CPC2 and S-Drives, my driving includes 60 kms/day with patches with quite a lot of potholes as well as weekend high speed drives on highways.

Worried about the feedback on the two choices, while S-Drives seem to hamper the ride quality, CPC2 seem to be pretty delicate. Now, was curious to know, if the ride quality on the S-Drives be poorer than even the stock Apollo Accelers?

I certainly don't want to make the traffic and pot hole ridden ride more bumpy and stiff.

Would appreciate help.

Here is my feedback on the CPC2s if it helps alleviate your fears. I've upgraded to 205/55 R15 CPC2s and now have covered 4000+ kms in them in the last three weeks. In this duration, I've had a lot of instances where I accidentally rode at high speeds over potholes. Absolutely no damage till now.

If you were to compare them to the OEM apollos, there is a vast difference in the ride quality and tyre noise. On the day I installed the tyres, all I could hear was the engine noise and for a brief duration, I even thought something is wrong with the engine. The noise reduction is more pronounced on concrete roads.

The ride has become more pliant and less bumpy. Also due to the wider tyres, the car feels more "German" at the steering wheel. The only thing left to experience is how the tyres would behave on wet surfaces for extended periods of time.

Due to the upsize, I've had a reduction in highway fuel efficiency of about 1.2km/l. But I would accept that loss right away for the gains.

Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-photo-2.jpg
nileshch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 22:03   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

I used CPC2 for 37000 kms and after that, my rims were bent due to some impacts but the tyres didnt have a scratch on them!

Being an expert on tyres, can you elaborate on the disadvantage of CPC2. If you can, let me know how CPC2 compares wit Pirelli P7. Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 22:36   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Here is my feedback on the CPC2s if it helps alleviate your fears. I've upgraded to 205/55 R15 CPC2s and now have covered 4000+ kms in them in the last three weeks. In this duration, I've had a lot of instances where I accidentally rode at high speeds over potholes. Absolutely no damage till now.

If you were to compare them to the OEM apollos, there is a vast difference in the ride quality and tyre noise. On the day I installed the tyres, all I could hear was the engine noise and for a brief duration, I even thought something is wrong with the engine. The noise reduction is more pronounced on concrete roads.

The ride has become more pliant and less bumpy. Also due to the wider tyres, the car feels more "German" at the steering wheel. The only thing left to experience is how the tyres would behave on wet surfaces for extended periods of time.

Due to the upsize, I've had a reduction in highway fuel efficiency of about 1.2km/l. But I would accept that loss right away for the gains.

Attachment 1242670
Thanks for the detailed reply, these do seem like a good option! Will certainly keep it on the list. Does the 205 profile add to the 'looks' of the car?

Quote:

There is a very elaborate thread where a user perhaps had a bad run with his set of Continentals, that's where this apprehension comes from.

What would you list as disadvantages of the CPC2?

The other popular choice does seem to be the Bridgestone in the stock profile, it will either be the Bridgestone or the S-Drives or the CPC2, confused which one to go with.
Old 21st May 2014, 08:27   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed reply, these do seem like a good option! Will certainly keep it on the list. Does the 205 profile add to the 'looks' of the car?
It does. So does the 195 too.

Quote:
There is a very elaborate thread where a user perhaps had a bad run with his set of Continentals, that's where this apprehension comes from.

The other popular choice does seem to be the Bridgestone in the stock profile, it will either be the Bridgestone or the S-Drives or the CPC2, confused which one to go with.
Not sure which thread you are talking about, but on an overall basis, you'll find -ve threads on all tire brands in this forum. Just keep in mind there are several satisfied CPC2 Vento owners in this forum - @nileshch, @souravc, @mikon (twice - he replaced his CPC2 with a new lot after doing 50k kms on the former set) and yours truly.

Irrespective of how relevant @nikhilb2008's disadvantages are, I'd recommend the CPC2 over the other two.
Old 21st May 2014, 18:39   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
Being an expert on tyres, can you elaborate on the disadvantage of CPC2. If you can, let me know how CPC2 compares wit Pirelli P7. Thanks
I havent used the P7 so I cant compare.

Quote:

Where is the thread? As far as I know, the feedback on TBHP about CPC2s are generally positive or average. Relatively few negative posts. One I remember is on a Civic where 2 tyres on the same side of the car (left side) burst at one time. This was clearly a case of bad roads or bad driving.

I would love for you to point me out to some of the negative posts which I may have missed. It would be a good reference point for me as well.

In the stock profile only Bridgestone and Apollo is available. That's why many people shift to 195/60-15 so that they have a wider range of choices.
Old 21st May 2014, 19:40   #313
BHPian

Quote:
I havent used the P7 so I cant compare.

Where is the thread? As far as I know, the feedback on TBHP about CPC2s are generally positive or average. Relatively few negative posts. One I remember is on a Civic where 2 tyres on the same side of the car (left side) burst at one time. This was clearly a case of bad roads or bad driving.

I would love for you to point me out to some of the negative posts which I may have missed. It would be a good reference point for me as well.

In the stock profile only Bridgestone and Apollo is available. That's why many people shift to 195/60-15 so that they have a wider range of choices.
Was referring to this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...not-worth.html

Went to BK Tyres today, the person there seemed pretty knowledgeable and di know of T-BHP, he made some good suggestions and showed all the options in person, here is what I have shortlisted - any comments/help would be welcome:

1. Yoko S-Drive 205/55 - Rs. 5800
2. Conti CPC2 205/55 - Rs. 6200
3. Yoko C Drive 195/60 - Rs. 4800
4. Yoko DB 195/60 - Rs. 5300
5. Michelin Primacy 195/60 - Rs. 6000
6. Bridgestone Turanza 195/60 - Rs. 5000

He was borderline hard selling the Michelins, he had a huge Michelin hoarding too, that explains his special relation with the brand and why he said it's the best.

He also pointed out that the stock Alloys on the Vento are 6 inchers and the 205 profile is best suited for 6.5-7 inch alloys, true?

I'm personally keen to get the CPC2 as the S-Drive don't have great ride quality and I don't wan to trouble people who sit in the car, however if I have to stick to 195/60 - the Bridgestones have great feedback and the Yokos too seem to be a good option.

How to pick between 195/60 and 205/55?
Old 23rd May 2014, 11:38   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was referring to this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...not-worth.html

Went to BK Tyres today, the person there seemed pretty knowledgeable and di know of T-BHP, he made some good suggestions and showed all the options in person, here is what I have shortlisted - any comments/help would be welcome:

1. Yoko S-Drive 205/55 - Rs. 5800
2. Conti CPC2 205/55 - Rs. 6200
3. Yoko C Drive 195/60 - Rs. 4800
4. Yoko DB 195/60 - Rs. 5300
5. Michelin Primacy 195/60 - Rs. 6000
6. Bridgestone Turanza 195/60 - Rs. 5000

He was borderline hard selling the Michelins, he had a huge Michelin hoarding too, that explains his special relation with the brand and why he said it's the best.

He also pointed out that the stock Alloys on the Vento are 6 inchers and the 205 profile is best suited for 6.5-7 inch alloys, true?

I'm personally keen to get the CPC2 as the S-Drive don't have great ride quality and I don't wan to trouble people who sit in the car, however if I have to stick to 195/60 - the Bridgestones have great feedback and the Yokos too seem to be a good option.

How to pick between 195/60 and 205/55?
That person is the one I'm referring to. He damaged 2 tyres in one shot. Clearly a sign of bad roads or bad driving.

I would not recommend the 205/55-15 unless you are a rally driver. For a stock Vento/Polo 195/60-15 is perfect. Enough grip and good ride comfort and less chance of sidewall damage.
Old 28th May 2014, 14:07   #315
BHPian

Feeback on MRF Zlo after 2000 kms (Done a single trip of 1200 kms over the week end). Great grip and huge reduction in noise, comfort has increased. At high speeds could hear only engine noise. 20K well spent I would say. Wider tyre means more planted feel and I could do 140+ easily (which was scary with stock tyres). Mileage has not reduced (Bangalore-Chennai drive I got 20 with AC fully on and speeds of 80-120kmph).

Though I would say this tyre is a mid range performer. They are not outright performance or comfort oriented but strikes a balance in between. I am happy with the choice as I don't intend to really hard race the car at high speeds. Neither am going to do off-roading or drive in rural roads.

Probably next time will give a try on CPC2.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks