Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2015, 21:52   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by murajith View Post
Update: As i didnt get any response and couldnt wait longer, I went ahead and upgraded to MRF ZSport 205/55R15.

Initial feedback after 100+ kms: Feels good (in line with few reviews i read about ZLO). I will try to post a detailed review, once i drive it for some more kilometers
How are the Z sport tyres? How are they compared to the stock Apollo's in terms of grip, road noise, comfort and wear?
Old 7th January 2016, 23:21   #437
BHPian

Hello Friends

After considerable amount of reading and re-reading and ending up unintentionally comparing chalk and cheese, decided to take a leap of faith based on a general understanding.

My stock Apollo, to my dismay, had lasted only 37,000 km but I will admit that I had placed an uncanny amount of confidence in the VW personnel to do a good job with WB/WA only to have my tires half shaved off in just 2.5 years time. Nevertheless a good lesson learnt.

I have switched to Yokohama Earth 1, 195, 60, R15. As I just completed an 800km drive after changing from the stock Apollos, some of my immediate feedback:

1. The upgraded tire size does not scrape or hit the wheel well. Looks like a safe size to move to though initially I was considering 205.

2. The abominable thud is missing (or am I assuming things here?). Never heard that sickening thud after the tire upgrade but may be it is just the roads.

3. The ride quality is certainly changed, for good or bad is a bit subjective. I find an added pitch/ roll with the new tires while earlier it used to be far more flat. Though the ride is "softer", the new behavior is a bit unusual not fully to my liking though.

4. The grip is better than the stock Apollo but not my a margin that leaves you flabbergasted. I mean no substantial improvement in handling. Obviously Earth series is not good at anything specific but it is just an all-rounder.

5. I did not find any improvement in the situation with road noise. Seemed similar to the stock tires, may be marginally better while coasting along.

6. The vehicle seemed eager to change directions and steering seemed more responsive or easier (perhaps it will change once the break-in over).

7. Going over speed breakers and potholes feels more comfortable. Perhaps the slight increased GC is helping.

8. The most noticed difference was over rumble strips since the tires seems to mask a lot of that grinding noise.

9. The vehicle certainly looks more fuller. The wheel well looks complete as opposed to the stock tires.

10. I have put 32 psi but need to experiment with a few different configurations to find the sweet spot.

While considering Earth 1, I had also looked at Michelin XM2, Yokohama S drive, Bridgestone B290, Bridgestone Turanza, Falken and Hankook but choose the Earth 1 since I wanted a well balanced option. Hankook was the most good looking followed by S drive and then by Turanza but I was not keen on unidirectionals.

Thanks for reading!
Kris_risk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 19:35   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
There is a problem with slight wear affecting only the inner edge of the right front tyre.
pillainp, did you find a fix for this? I have the same problem with both the front tyres. I have been getting the alignment checked every 3-5k kms but the problem is still there. I am on my second set of tyres and both the sets had the same problem. I will be changing the tyres soon to Michelin P3ST but wanted to get to the root of this problem before I do so.
Old 19th January 2016, 11:59   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
How are the Z sport tyres?
I have MRF Z (not sure if sport is a different variant). Now going at 40k kms after change it feels much harder and comfortable, feel this for last 5k kms. I got 4 for 20k. It is a average performer, neither gives too much grip nor comfort.

At the moment am looking to change tires again as the discomfort is growing.
Old 19th January 2016, 12:14   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
I have MRF Z (not sure if sport is a different variant). Now going at 40k kms after change it feels much harder and comfortable, feel this for last 5k kms. I got 4 for 20k. It is a average performer, neither gives too much grip nor comfort.

At the moment am looking to change tires again as the discomfort is growing.
Yes, sport is a different variant. It's unidirectional and its available only in size 205/55 and not 195/60. Very tempting option as it's cheaper than the S drives and the P3ST's. Indian make means it can handle abuses too ( Purely assuming here). Sadly no reviews here in comparison with the established tyres.
I guess you might be having the ZLO's which is an all rounder again like the stock Apollo tyres
Old 19th January 2016, 12:23   #441
BHPian

Turanza ER 300 good on comfort, quietness and grip? Any recommendations?There are no upsize available so the same 185/60 only. Has anyone tried it?
Old 19th January 2016, 13:16   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Turanza ER 300 good on comfort, quietness and grip? Any recommendations?There are no upsize available so the same 185/60 only. Has anyone tried it?
I have changed the set of OE tyres after 44500km to Turanza ER300. The change in ride characteristics is dramatic. The ride is more supple and cornering ability is enhanced significantly. I enjoy it thoroughly!
Old 26th February 2016, 16:39   #443
BHPian

Recently switched to Apollo Alnac 4gs 195 60 R15 at 5000 kms. Experience till now is pretty good. All 4 rims were bent and had to spend 5k on wheel through.
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:13   #444
BHPian

Hi am going to get me Vento TSI Highline on Monday, 7th March. Inquired VW Service Manager Stanley Das in Pune about warranty void issue on upsizing stock tyres to 195/60/R15. He said there may be a few suspension parts that me be denied warranty if any issue comes withing the first 6 months/10000 for which these parts are under warranty, beyond this it won't make any difference. He said there are hardly any cases where an issue withing the first 6 months is observed. I wanted to upsize to Michelin 195, but on hearing his response I am wondering whether I should continue using the stock tyres or go with 185/60/R15 to avoid warranty issues?
My need for upsizing and upgrading is to have a quiet cabin while driving. My driving is 90% city and 10% occasional weekend trips. What is the best tyre to upgrade to, considering my requirement. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 5th March 2016, 22:26   #445
BHPian

I have been driving on S-drive for almost 5 years and recently changed all 4 tyres again with same S-drive 205/55/R15. Comfort do take some hit and i think its well known that this is good upsize for Vento TDI. Grip and Handling is something i liked about this setup.

Somehow 195/60/R15 also strikes a good balance.

If quite cabin is only requirement than better tyre in 185/60/R15 parameter should also be fine. People generally upsize for better grip and handling improvements.
Old 4th April 2016, 12:42   #446
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Any idea how are Goodyear Assurance Triplemax. They are around 3500-3600 and come with a good warranty. The showroom guys were saying even sidewall puncture can be replaced under warranty.

Thanks,

Rohit
Old 5th April 2016, 15:10   #447
BHPian

A quick anecdotal review of my 205/55/R15 Continental CPCs that I am using for the last 28000 kms. They are holding up pretty good and I can safely say they will last for another 30K kms.

I have had very few ABS triggers for situations where I had to brake suddenly. These tyres inspire a lot of confidence in my highway trips and I never had a situation where my heart skipped a beat when I had to brake suddenly. Previously in the Apollos, I had the ABS kicking in frequently in such situations.

The tyres have provided excellent grip in all seasons. And probably 3-4 punctures as compared to 8-9 on my previous tyres.
Old 5th April 2016, 15:24   #448
fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
Hi Guys,

Any idea how are Goodyear Assurance Triplemax. They are around 3500-3600 and come with a good warranty. The showroom guys were saying even sidewall puncture can be replaced under warranty.

Thanks,

Rohit
They are rated very highly here:-
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Ty...Touring-Tyres/

Unfortunately, I do not have faith on most of this made in India rubbish.

I have seen made in India Yoko's, Bridgestone's and some Goodyear's as well with absolutely no UTQG ratings...that is no Treadwear, Temp & Tractions ratings. Even the upper management people at these companies were clueless. No EU tyre label, nothing.

I am looking for the "best" 205/60 r16s for myself. I could write a thesis at this stage - on tyres for 2016.

I may just have to accept what I get here for now (Conti MC5's)... I plan on importing soon after that.
The Pirelli's in India are very poorly rated as well.
A friend who works with Bentley - may get me OE Yoko Advan's in my size, though those are not ideal for me as I do soft offroading.
I need treadwear of 300 ish not 180 ish

GoodLuck!
Old 11th April 2016, 09:38   #449

Hey folks,

Done 16k kms on the Yokos S-drive on the Vento and the experience has been phenomenal. Judging by the current condition, my guess is that they will easily cover in excess of 40k kms. Loving every bit of it - the overall confidence that I get on the road is exceptional.

Heard that the S-drives have been discontinued. Am I wrong?

Best,
Old 11th April 2016, 18:25   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ompsingh View Post
Hey folks,

Done 16k kms on the Yokos S-drive on the Vento and the experience has been phenomenal. Judging by the current condition, my guess is that they will easily cover in excess of 40k kms. Loving every bit of it - the overall confidence that I get on the road is exceptional.

Heard that the S-drives have been discontinued. Am I wrong?

Best,
My experience with S-drive is also same. They are very good when it comes to grip level and much better steering feedback. I had them installed first in 2011 when my car was just new. During their 5 year of use i only had 3-4 punctures. Make sure to do proper alignment and balancing and rotation when needed. First batch of tyres lasted me 48,000 KM

After that i wanted to go for more comfort side but was afraid of not liking different setup so went ahead again with S-drive again. Completed 5K on new set and all good for now.

However please make sure to check properly when your tyres are old (after 45K i guess, This is true for all tyres i guess and not limited to S-drive). One of my tyre when it was @ 48K was leaking air so every few weeks pressure used to come down to 20-25 or so on, I kept close watch and used to fill up as soon as i noticed its low. One fine day i went over a pothole with under inflated tyre with speed 30-40 and its side wall was ruptured a bit loosing all air instantly (or in 4-5 seconds). Car came to halt without any problem.

Last edited by karansm4u : 11th April 2016 at 18:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks