Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2011, 19:13   #16
BHPian

Re: Budget Alloy wheels + tubeless tyres for Wagon R

Another update. I just checked with the Lucas-TVS Car Plus store here and they seem to have the Michelin tires in stock. They quoted the following rate for the same:

Michelin Energy XM1+ 155/65/R13 - Rs. 2980/- per tire - Free wheel balancing, alignment, fixing, labour, nozzles, etc (everything) - And 1 year of free wheel balancing and alignment from their store for the same.

I am thinking of going the Michelin way. I will be going to their store tomorrow and will finally decide what to do. Its either the Apollo Acelere or the Michelin Energy XM1+ now.

Thanks everybody for the valuable inputs. More suggestions welcome
Old 28th January 2011, 11:04   #17
BHPian

Just gone through this thread and referred to WagonR's site.
They mentioned 155/65/R14 for VXi & 145/80/R13 for the other variants and all being tubeless.
Just wanted to know
-is it only the cost factor that they give 13's in lower variants ?
-155/65/R14 should be the right size ?
-Or something has changed because this is all new WagonR with slightly longer base ?
Old 28th January 2011, 11:20   #18
BHPian

Remember to look for the date of manufacture. Tyres tend to get hard with age and when they are not used. Ask the experts here how to look for that.

This is to bolster your decision to go with steel rims. I have tubeless tyres (MRFs) running on my Baleno for 2 years+ without any problems. Maruti generally has better steel rims.

Your tyre type decision depends on the kind of roads you drive. I prefer MRFs because I drive through terrible roads (via Mangalore to Kerala every year; need I say more!). They might not offer the best grip or be noiseless, but I hate to have punctures ever so often, especially on the lonely stretches I drive through.

I'm no expert, but I have had good experience with MRFs in my previous car too. The OEM tyres that MRF supplies to car manufacturers are probably terrible due to cost-cutting reasons, but the new ones you buy off the shelf are much, much better. I had Goodyear tyres before that. They were really soft and the lesser said about them, the better. To each, their own.

Regards,

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Another update. I just checked with the Lucas-TVS Car Plus store here and they seem to have the Michelin tires in stock. They quoted the following rate for the same:

Michelin Energy XM1+ 155/65/R13 - Rs. 2980/- per tire - Free wheel balancing, alignment, fixing, labour, nozzles, etc (everything) - And 1 year of free wheel balancing and alignment from their store for the same.

I am thinking of going the Michelin way. I will be going to their store tomorrow and will finally decide what to do. Its either the Apollo Acelere or the Michelin Energy XM1+ now.

Thanks everybody for the valuable inputs. More suggestions welcome

Last edited by pradkumar : 28th January 2011 at 11:21.
Old 28th January 2011, 12:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
Just gone through this thread and referred to WagonR's site.
They mentioned 155/65/R14 for VXi & 145/80/R13 for the other variants and all being tubeless.
Just wanted to know
-is it only the cost factor that they give 13's in lower variants ?
-155/65/R14 should be the right size ?
-Or something has changed because this is all new WagonR with slightly longer base ?
I think they have upgraded the specs after the new Wagon R's launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Remember to look for the date of manufacture. Tyres tend to get hard with age and when they are not used. Ask the experts here how to look for that.

This is to bolster your decision to go with steel rims. I have tubeless tyres (MRFs) running on my Baleno for 2 years+ without any problems. Maruti generally has better steel rims.

Your tyre type decision depends on the kind of roads you drive. I prefer MRFs because I drive through terrible roads (via Mangalore to Kerala every year; need I say more!). They might not offer the best grip or be noiseless, but I hate to have punctures ever so often, especially on the lonely stretches I drive through.

I'm no expert, but I have had good experience with MRFs in my previous car too. The OEM tyres that MRF supplies to car manufacturers are probably terrible due to cost-cutting reasons, but the new ones you buy off the shelf are much, much better. I had Goodyear tyres before that. They were really soft and the lesser said about them, the better. To each, their own.

Regards,

Pradeep
Which tubeless tires due you use from MRF? ZVTS?
Old 29th January 2011, 02:34   #20
BHPian

Ok finally ended up spending a bomb on the upgrade though I had not thought of doing so but I got carried away I guess.

Neo wheels set of 4 alloys 5.5J 100 PCD - Rs. 11,108/-
Michelin Energy XM1+ 155/65/R13 - 5 Nos - Rs. 14,934/-

I got back Rs. 1500/- for my old tires and rims :(

I upgraded to alloys as all my rims were in bad shape and I was getting a new set of 5 steel rims for around Rs. 4,000/-. So I thought it makes more sense to spend 7K more and buy the alloys.
Old 29th January 2011, 12:53   #21
BHPian

Please post pictures of your new alloys and from where you bought them ??
Old 29th January 2011, 13:20   #22
BHPian

I will click pics soon and post them. I bought them from the TVS-Lucas Car Plus showroom here in Gurgaon.
Old 4th February 2011, 16:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Ok finally ended up spending a bomb on the upgrade though I had not thought of doing so but I got carried away I guess.

Neo wheels set of 4 alloys 5.5J 100 PCD - Rs. 11,108/-
Michelin Energy XM1+ 155/65/R13 - 5 Nos - Rs. 14,934/-

I got back Rs. 1500/- for my old tires and rims :(

I upgraded to alloys as all my rims were in bad shape and I was getting a new set of 5 steel rims for around Rs. 4,000/-. So I thought it makes more sense to spend 7K more and buy the alloys.

How is the ride quality now? I have a Wagon-R Vxi ( 2007 end) with 155/65/R13 - MRF ZV2K. Have not run much ( only 24k kms). Can i go for an upgrade on my present steel rims ?

Am thinking of an upgrade only for the issue of ride quality improvement.
Old 4th February 2011, 17:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
How is the ride quality now? I have a Wagon-R Vxi ( 2007 end) with 155/65/R13 - MRF ZV2K. Have not run much ( only 24k kms). Can i go for an upgrade on my present steel rims ?

Am thinking of an upgrade only for the issue of ride quality improvement.
I also upgraded my rims and tyres at 25K though my tires were in good condition but I wanted tubeless ones and I was sick and tired of the constant punctures.

I do feel tremendous improvement in the ride quality after upgrading the tires to 155/65/R13 from 145/70/R13. Stability, braking and cornering have been improved. The car no longer feels like a feather to me.

About upgrading to alloys from rims, well I can't really comment on this as I am not sure how much of a difference the alloys have made to my upgrade. I think its the tires that make the major difference. And since I did not try new tires and steel rims, I cannot comment on the improvement by adding alloys. Also, I upgraded to alloys only because all my rims were damaged and were in really bad shape.
maverick145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2011, 13:34   #25
BHPian

Note from Mod : Your PICS have been uploaded via the Team-BHP Attachment system. Please read our announcement thread on submitting pictures; we do NOT permit external picture hosting.

Finally uploading the pics of my ride after the alloy wheels and tires upgrade:

Budget Alloy wheels + tubeless tyres for Wagon R-1.jpg

Budget Alloy wheels + tubeless tyres for Wagon R-2.jpg

Budget Alloy wheels + tubeless tyres for Wagon R-3.jpg

Budget Alloy wheels + tubeless tyres for Wagon R-4.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 18th March 2011 at 16:34. Reason: Read Moderator Note in your post
maverick145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2011, 16:37   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Very classy, Maverick! Clean white WagonR, VIP number, 8 spoke alloys & of course, the Team-BHP stickers

Request : Please upload pictures only via the Team-BHP Attachment system. Refer to the FAQ for more information on this.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:55   #27
BHPian

Thanks GTO. I really feel elated after you have appreciated my work

I will keep in mind not to upload images externally next time.
Old 1st July 2011, 19:18   #28

I
ve been advised to go in for the Bridgestone and am still pondering over the tubeless tyres option . A good tyre dealer in Kerala avised me against using tubeless tyres on Kerala roads as the steel rims tend to get damaged and chances of air leaks are high. Will alloy wheels solve this problem ? Can I rely on the alloy wheels being sold in the market now ? I am not inyerested in stylish looks - just need a reliable tyre and a happy ride . Your advice will be much appreciated. I've decided on Bridgestone and its only the tube/tubeless options that I need clarity on. Thanks guys, in advance
Old 2nd March 2013, 00:49   #29
BHPian

Upsize tyres for new Wagon R (BS4)

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Hello,
I had bought my Wagon R in 2011 (the new BS4 Wagon R was launced somewhere in April 2011) and within a span of just over two years, I had to take a decision to change my tyres.....
The numbers speak for themselves....... 42000 kms in 2 years and my tyres had lasted quite well considering my driving style...... I have a VXi variant and that came with Good Year GT3s as standard (155/65 R14). I had seen a lot of threads on teambhp regarding Wagon R tyre upsize but it did not have much information for the BS4 (new) model (many threads had discussions for R13s as the older versions had R13 even in VXi). Also, I wanted to go for an upsize but couldn't find many options for this configuration.
This is what I found after some research:
All Michelin tyres started with 175/65 for the R14s and hence were not applicable for the new Wagon R.
I was not comfortable with Bridgestones as I feel they are more interested in selling old tyre models.
Also, I had some mixed reviews regarding Apollo Amazer 3G and XL.
I also tried finding some information regarding the Pirelli Cinturato but did not hear much about it.....
Finally, I settled on Good Year DuraPlus 165/65 R14s. I found this size to be less known to many users (I, myself was surprised to see this configuration available with GoodYear and not with any other competitor!)
Its been 3 weeks since I put on these new shoes and my baby has already crossed 1000 kms....
Here are some my observations:
Dry grip is very good and the car runs quieter than the GT3s. Steering vibrations have significantly reduced (specially at speeds above 100 kmph) and the braking has improved drastically because of the wider tyres.
Wet grip is good as well but the car sees some slight lateral movement specially while cornering at high speeds. Overall, I'm extremely happy with my decision.
Thought of sharing this with you.....

Last edited by GTO : 2nd March 2013 at 12:30.
Wagon R Rocks! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 14:24   #30

Hi everyone,

I have a 2012 WagonR LXI CNG, I'm currently running on the stock company tyres & have clocked 40,000 a few hrs back (In less then the span of 2 years actually)...

I would like to upgrade the size of my tyre. My main area of riving is intercity (Pune-Mumbai / Mumbai-Pune), so i need improved levels of grip, safety & improved handling as i tend to hover close to the prescribed driving speed limit on the expressway (sometimes, i do shoot over it... I admit!)

My main query is : Can I install 185/60 15 inch tyres on my car? I know these are the same specs as found on the Highline VW Polo; but still?

Awaiting the reply on my doubts. Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks